• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] Autowipe - For those with Froyo

Search This thread

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Autowipe is back!

Greetings all,

As most of you probably know, Froyo (2.2) includes new phone wiping abilities. I've been working on an app to take advantage of this new feature and I'm excited to let others see it.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have a Froyo Phone! I am looking for some of you very nice people with N1s or Droids that have 2.2 installed to help me out with testing, as the Emulator can only go so far. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing if the "Subscriber Id changed" action works when removing/changing SIM cards.

Quick description: Android 2.2 (Froyo)+ includes a new administrator feature. The administrator must be enabled by the user before it can perform its actions. This application focuses on the memory wipe feature of the administrator. If your device gets lost or stolen you can set up this application to automatically wipe the memory in the following conditions: failed passwords to unlock screen, SMS password received, subscriber ID changed (SIM card).

Screenshots and APK attached below.

Thank you very much!

Update 05 March 2011:

* Integrated a Test Mode into the app.

Attachments

• screenshot001.jpg
    screenshot001.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,944
  • screenshot002.jpg
    screenshot002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,372
Last edited:

PhantomRampage

May 13, 2008
Don't mean to be a downer or anything but isn't this what Mobile Defense and WaveSecure do already?

adam18488

Apr 24, 2009
London
i really like this app bro. So when you say wipe, does it restore factory settings? or does it literally wipe everything so that u have to restore via adb or something?

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Indeed, my intention is to release it as a free app on the Market to all locations.

i really like this app bro. So when you say wipe, does it restore factory settings? or does it literally wipe everything so that u have to restore via adb or something?

Thanks for the compliments. According to the documentation it never specifically says "factory reset" but I'd guess that is what it is doing: Ask the user data be wiped. This will cause the device to reboot, erasing all user data while next booting up.

bedwa

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 5, 2008
Springfield IL

now that would be nice.... both phone and SD at that. That way if you get someone smart enough to track down how to bring up the bootloader and restoral menus, they won't have anything to work from.... ;)

flitzjoy

Sep 17, 2008
São Paulo
Any update in this project? its really promising. A free alternative to only payed remote wiping software on market.

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Hello all, sorry I was away for a bit there. Good news, I've just posted a release to the Android Market. I will update the original post shortly.

Search for Autowipe on the market if you can. Feedback would be great! (This version WIPES, it's armed!)

watercool

Apr 18, 2010
Good work!

Please hide the sms password with ***, add a cursor and perhaps a confirmation with "password set" or something like this.

And most important a test mode would be great. No idea how to test it without wiping hehe

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
Good work!

Please hide the sms password with ***, add a cursor and perhaps a confirmation with "password set" or something like this.

And most important a test mode would be great. No idea how to test it without wiping hehe

Thanks. I'll add those too, good ideas. I was thinking if you forgot your password you could check back and see it but I suppose you could just delete the asterisks and make a new one.

Thanks again!

vesperaNovus

Mar 10, 2010
I've posted an update with some of the changes requested. The test mode is a taller order so I haven't been able to do that yet.

No, sorry. What exactly?

From the 2.2 Highlights:

Device policy manager

New device policy management APIs allow developers to write "device administrator" applications that can control security features on the device, such as the minimum password strength, data wipe, and so on. Users can select the administrators that are enabled on their devices.

Pretty exciting!

As usual I still don't have an actual 2.2 device so please let me know if I did anything silly, like forget to let you enable the app or something :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Autowipe is back!

Greetings all,

As most of you probably know, Froyo (2.2) includes new phone wiping abilities. I've been working on an app to take advantage of this new feature and I'm excited to let others see it.

Unfortunately for me, I do not have a Froyo Phone! I am looking for some of you very nice people with N1s or Droids that have 2.2 installed to help me out with testing, as the Emulator can only go so far. Most importantly, I'm interested in seeing if the "Subscriber Id changed" action works when removing/changing SIM cards.

Quick description: Android 2.2 (Froyo)+ includes a new administrator feature. The administrator must be enabled by the user before it can perform its actions. This application focuses on the memory wipe feature of the administrator. If your device gets lost or stolen you can set up this application to automatically wipe the memory in the following conditions: failed passwords to unlock screen, SMS password received, subscriber ID changed (SIM card).

Screenshots and APK attached below.

Thank you very much!

Update 05 March 2011:

* Integrated a Test Mode into the app.
    I apologize for abandoning this thread/app everyone. I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm actively developing this app again.

@scutworker It should reset the counter, have you seen this issue again?
    I've uploaded a new version! See original post.

Update 23 Feb 2011:

* I've added a passcode to the app itself to prevent tampering, you'll find it in Settings.
    * Fixed issue where SMS wipe didn't work sometimes.

TRIAL VERSION doesn't wipe anything, it only locks the screen where it would have wiped.
    NONTRIAL VERSION fully wipes and is the one you will find on android Market.

Thanks goes to Navtej for help testing.
    You can move the apk back to /system/app - depending on your device & rom, you could use adb push/pull or Root Explorer.

Btw, is this app still maintained?