• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][Beta 0.10.1] Tap, Tap: Double tap on back of device gesture from Android 11 port

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Tap, Tap is a port of the double tap on back of device gesture from Android 11 to any Android 7.0+ device. It allows you to use the gesture to launch apps, control the device (including pressing the home, back and recents buttons), take a screenshot, toggle the flashlight, open your assistant and more. Using "gates", you're able to block the gesture from working in scenarios such as when the screen is off, when you're on a call, when an app is open and more. It uses an accessibility service to run these tasks and stay running in the background. Tap, Tap uses the same machine learning code and TensorFlow models from the Android 11 builds with the gesture, with code directly lifted from SystemUIGoogle where needed. You can pick from three models in the settings: Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL; allowing you to choose the one that fits your device best. Machine learning allows the gesture to be more accurately detected, and reduces the chance of accidental interactions.

Tap, Tap is currently in beta, and may be slightly buggy. Stay tuned for new features and bug fixes. If you'd like to report a bug or suggest a feature, you can do so in this thread or on the GitHub.

Screenshots:

Example video, showing launching the camera on double tap

Changelog for latest bugfix version (0.10.1 Beta):
Changelog said:
Fixed crash when launching the app without an internet connection
Fixed crash when adding a requirement to an action after moving actions around or deleting some

Previous changelog for 0.10 Beta:
Changelog said:
  • A full rewrite of almost all of the behind the scenes of the app, which should be more stable, compatible and efficient. This means the "Split Service" option has gone and is effectively always enabled, so a notification will be shown (which means less chance the app gets killed). You can long press it to hide it without affecting battery optimisation.
    New Actions:
  • Accept Call & Reject Call (make sure to disable the call gate if you wish to use Reject to hang up a call)
  • Swipe Left, Right, Up & Down (requires secondary gesture service)
  • New Gates for foldable devices, for the open and closed state of the device
  • Added a Backup & Restore feature, using Storage Access Framework so you can backup and restore directly from Google Drive if you wish
  • Added a built in update downloader to workaround the issue where some were unable to download an APK from the app (if you can't download this update, click the "GitHub" link in the app and find the APK in the releases section)
  • Improved Battery & Optimisation screen to link off to dontkillmyapp.com for your OEM if available
  • Re-shuffled About section to have its own page with full credits for contributors and translators - thank you!
  • Fixed a load of bugs including: Triple tap running feedback when gated, Double tap running feedback when set to do nothing and Triple tap enabled, crashes on MIUI and Android 7.0, crashes when an app used in an action or gate is uninstalled
  • Removed unused resources & code, reducing the size of the APK by around 1MB

Download:
Version 0.10.1 Beta

GitHub:
https://github.com/KieronQuinn/TapTap

Attachments

• TapTap-0.1-Alpha.apk
    11.7 MB · Views: 238,628
  • TapTap-0.2-Alpha.apk
    11.8 MB · Views: 67,043
  • TapTap-0.3-Alpha.apk
    12 MB · Views: 59,160
  • TapTap-0.4-Alpha.apk
    13.1 MB · Views: 61,823
  • TapTap-0.5-Alpha.apk
    13.2 MB · Views: 107,577
  • TapTap-0.6-Alpha.apk
    13.3 MB · Views: 44,972
  • TapTap-0.7.1-Alpha.apk
    13.8 MB · Views: 33,932
  • TapTap-0.8-Beta.apk
    13.8 MB · Views: 18,246
  • TapTap-0.8.1-Beta.apk
    13.8 MB · Views: 32,591
  • TapTap-0.9-Beta.apk
    16.1 MB · Views: 88,095
  • TapTap-0.10-Beta.apk
    13.2 MB · Views: 41,910
  • TapTap-0.10.1-Beta.apk
    13.2 MB · Views: 474,275
Last edited:

NateDev

Wow, this works surprisingly well on OnePlus 7Pro, even with a case on. Although sometimes I'll go on a run of it working 10x times in a row, and then it won't work for the next few, and then go back to working again.

Currently using the Pixel 4XL model as I think it's the closest out of the three. It definitely needs more of a deliberate tap - tap instead of a super quick double tap to be more accurate, but that's not a problem at all.

Super excited to see what (if any) improvements can be made to the model, or sensitivity in the future.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dallasnights

Sep 25, 2006
Nice work, installed on my Galaxy Z FLip and it works great, can you add the ability to double tap and choose a shortcut too
THank you for the greatwork!

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Works well on my xperia 1! Thanks :)
Id love for this to work when the phone is locked. Perhaps with root or magisk? Definitely willing to pay

Disable the screen off gate lol

And turn on the wake device up feedback if it's an app launching and not something that will work with the screen off

Reactions: anuinam and mauam

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Nice work, installed on my Galaxy Z FLip and it works great, can you add the ability to double tap and choose a shortcut too
THank you for the greatwork!

Double tapping might not be possible, the tensorflow model appears to be for a single tap only, but I might be able to figure something out eventually.

Shortcuts as in like launcher shortcuts to call someone or open Maps directions? Probably will add that.

Reactions: mauam

adriansticoid0312

Nov 2, 2012
San Pedro
Tried on my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Havoc. The default command seemed to work but I changed it to back button simulation, and it doesn't work. My phone vibrates, telling me that Tap, Tap recognized my tapping but the command wasn't executed.

EDIT: lock screen works

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using XDA Labs

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Tried on my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Havoc. The default command seemed to work but I changed it to back button simulation, and it doesn't work. My phone vibrates, telling me that Tap, Tap recognized my tapping but the command wasn't executed.

Do any of the other actions other than the default setup work? That would help rule out whether it's an issue with back or an issue with actions in general on that device

TrustAugustus

Jan 23, 2013
Hirakata
Disable the screen off gate lol

And turn on the wake device up feedback if it's an app launching and not something that will work with the screen off

Sorry I was unclear. It is disabled. But from my experience in the past with apps such as button remapper I have been unable to get screen off commands to work properly. In that instance using volume buttons, it was possible. But not for dedicated camera keys etc.

Now, with the gate disabled, flashlight, Assistant do nothing when the screen is off. When it is on but in the lockscreen it still doesn't work. The phone is unlocked work trustedagent,too.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tap, Tap is a port of the double tap on back of device gesture from Android 11 to any Android 7.0+ device. It allows you to use the gesture to launch apps, control the device (including pressing the home, back and recents buttons), take a screenshot, toggle the flashlight, open your assistant and more. Using "gates", you're able to block the gesture from working in scenarios such as when the screen is off, when you're on a call, when an app is open and more. It uses an accessibility service to run these tasks and stay running in the background. Tap, Tap uses the same machine learning code and TensorFlow models from the Android 11 builds with the gesture, with code directly lifted from SystemUIGoogle where needed. You can pick from three models in the settings: Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL; allowing you to choose the one that fits your device best. Machine learning allows the gesture to be more accurately detected, and reduces the chance of accidental interactions.

Tap, Tap is currently in beta, and may be slightly buggy. Stay tuned for new features and bug fixes. If you'd like to report a bug or suggest a feature, you can do so in this thread or on the GitHub.

Screenshots:

Example video, showing launching the camera on double tap

Changelog for latest bugfix version (0.10.1 Beta):
    Changelog said:
    Fixed crash when launching the app without an internet connection
    Fixed crash when adding a requirement to an action after moving actions around or deleting some

Previous changelog for 0.10 Beta:
    Changelog said:
    • A full rewrite of almost all of the behind the scenes of the app, which should be more stable, compatible and efficient. This means the "Split Service" option has gone and is effectively always enabled, so a notification will be shown (which means less chance the app gets killed). You can long press it to hide it without affecting battery optimisation.
      New Actions:
    • Accept Call & Reject Call (make sure to disable the call gate if you wish to use Reject to hang up a call)
    • Swipe Left, Right, Up & Down (requires secondary gesture service)
    • New Gates for foldable devices, for the open and closed state of the device
    • Added a Backup & Restore feature, using Storage Access Framework so you can backup and restore directly from Google Drive if you wish
    • Added a built in update downloader to workaround the issue where some were unable to download an APK from the app (if you can't download this update, click the "GitHub" link in the app and find the APK in the releases section)
    • Improved Battery & Optimisation screen to link off to dontkillmyapp.com for your OEM if available
    • Re-shuffled About section to have its own page with full credits for contributors and translators - thank you!
    • Fixed a load of bugs including: Triple tap running feedback when gated, Double tap running feedback when set to do nothing and Triple tap enabled, crashes on MIUI and Android 7.0, crashes when an app used in an action or gate is uninstalled
    • Removed unused resources & code, reducing the size of the APK by around 1MB

Download:
    Version 0.10.1 Beta

GitHub:
    https://github.com/KieronQuinn/TapTap
    New version, 0.5 Alpha
    Changelog said:
    - Added sensitivity option with a slider under the gesture settings (experimental)
    - Added option to disable battery optimisation, and some tips on how to make it work on your weird OEM firmwares
    - Haptic feedback will now only happen when do not disturb is not enabled (thanks Ashutosh Singh) - there's an option to override this if you want
    - Added power menu action (thanks Adrian Campos)
    - Moved "Reachability" to Utilities
    - Added gates for Keyboard visibility and orientation
    - Fixed app picker not showing all apps when selecting for a gate, and the hide system apps doing the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do
    - Tweaked UI even more
    - Updated translations

Download (also in first post)
    New version: 0.6 Alpha
    Changelog said:
    Implemented "requirements" (aka "when gates") for actions. This allows you to specify an action to only be run when a condition is met (any gate can be used for this), such as an app running or the display being off - example is below
    Added Table gate
    Added pocket gate
    Added gates for detecting headsets and music playing
    Added Sound Profile control - needs do not disturb access, app will prompt you (thanks Ashutosh Singh)
    Updated translations & contributors

Download version 0.6 Alpha (also in first post)

Example of requirements, which I'm currently using on my device (click to enlarge):

What it does:
    - If Pokemon GO is being played -> Run a Tasker task that starts the CalcyIV overlay
    - Otherwise, if Music is playing -> skip to the next track
    - Otherwise, if a headset is connected -> play the track (this will never pause as the previous action would've been run)
    - Otherwise, if the screen is off -> toggle the flashlight
    - Otherwise -> launch Spotify

Remember, once an action has been run successfully, no further actions below it will be run. Place your highest priority actions at the top, and work your way down setting up requirements for each action until the last one, which is always the "last resort" and will only be run if all the other actions' requirements are not met.

If you have some other great ideas of how to make the most out of this new feature, share them in this thread!
    New version, Alpha 0.4:
    Changelog said:
    - Added new Split Screen action which starts split screen
    - Added new mock-reachability mode that uses split screen with an empty top half (except for two buttons to open the notifications and quick settings without reaching up)
    - Moved declaration of an action's category to TapAction instead of defining each category's items as a list
    - Implemented the isAvailable boolean in the picker, which hides Screenshot & Lock Screen on < 9.0. Updated default list to cope with this on < 9.0 (default is now Assistant then Home)
    - Migrated to using Tensorflow library rather than the shared library and code taken from SystemUI, hopefully fixing Android 7.0. This will also enable armv7 support.
    - Added a bunch of new languages and updates to current ones (now supports English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Ukranian, Vietnamese & Traditional Chinese)

Download (also in first post)