[APP][Beta 0.10.1] Tap, Tap: Double tap on back of device gesture from Android 11 port

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
On Android 11, my memory usage for the past 24 hours was 89%, with the highest average usage largely Android OS, followed by Android System, System UI, Google Play Services and One UI Home (which I don't even use and obviously need to disable). Unfortunately, I don't remember what I was averaging on Android 10, but it must have been less considering the issues I'm having.

OneUI Home may be the QuickStep/Recents provider on Samsung phones so it'll be running for that even if you don't have it as your launcher

Reactions: thx84 and rsngfrce

h1ghland3r

Oct 3, 2012
Strange because my daily is a 7T Pro on 11 and I've found it better on 11 than it was on 10. I always had issues with apps being killed on 10, high memory usage of Android System, SystemUI and the Galaxy Watch app mostly seemed to be to blame, but on 11 it's dropped massively and I don't have the issue anymore. Hell, Pokemon GO can stay open for hours when it used to barely stay open for 5 minutes on 10.

Check your memory usage (Settings > System > Dev Options > Memory), see if it's sitting at high usage constantly.

Got it, I am not used of verifying memory usage with frequency. But I take a look now, just changed from 3 hours to 1 day.

Screenshot_20210218-212455.jpg

Screenshot_20210218-212447.jpg

Reactions: rsngfrce

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Got it, I am not used of verifying memory usage with frequency. But I take a look now, just changed from 3 hours to 1 day.

Seems fine, similar to mine. Only thing I did potentially differently was to wipe when updating, seems pretty overkill to wipe just to have a change of fixing something like this though.

Reactions: thx84

h1ghland3r

Oct 3, 2012
Seems fine, similar to mine. Only thing I did potentially differently was to wipe when updating, seems pretty overkill to wipe just to have a change of fixing something like this though.

Understood, thanks for the feedback. I am waiting for the final Android 11 for 7T Pro before wipe the device.

Last edited:

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
OneUI Home may be the QuickStep/Recents provider on Samsung phones so it'll be running for that even if you don't have it as your launcher
Thanks for pointing that out, I had just come back to advise everyone not to disable One UI Home after figuring out that was what caused my recent apps button to stop working.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Gate 'Keyboard on' won't work for me. Latest version, Pixel 3a XL, device size set to 'medium', sensitivity is unchanged

The keyboard gate relies on the system and keyboard reporting events when it's in use. Android does not provide a way to know when the keyboard is open from a background service (and didn't even for a foreground app until last year either), this is the best it can do.

Reactions: mauam

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Version 0.9 had been working fine for me, but after reverting to it from .10, it has started having the issue again of functioning even though I have it disabled. I have gone up to .10.1 to see how it goes.

The notification that Tap, Tap is running in the background is present even when Tap, Tap is turned off, is this how it's supposed to work? I thought that notification was going away when I turned Tap, Tap off, which showed whether I had it on or not in the status bar.

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Version 0.9 had been working fine for me, but after reverting to it from .10, it has started having the issue again of functioning even though I have it disabled. I have gone up to .10.1 to see how it goes.

The notification that Tap, Tap is running in the background is present even when Tap, Tap is turned off, is this how it's supposed to work? I thought that notification was going away when I turned Tap, Tap off, which showed whether I had it on or not in the status bar.

Yes, the notification will stay. Turning the gesture off doesn't disable the service entirely, it simply removes the sensor listeners. It's meant to conserve battery, not kill the app entirely.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Yes, the notification will stay. Turning the gesture off doesn't disable the service entirely, it simply removes the sensor listeners. It's meant to conserve battery, not kill the app entirely.
Thanks for that info

I tried 0.10.1 again and I am back to the issue with it not functioning after a while. I strongly doubt this is battery optimization related because when this occurs, it is extremely difficult to get Tap, Tap functioning again (disabling/enabling both the accessibility setting and Tap, Tap itself will not get it working) and this has been confirmed by others in this thread. Since I am IN Tap, Tap when I can't get it working again, I can't see it possibly being related to Tap, Tap getting killed by the system.

At this point, I have gone back to .9 again, because I would prefer to have it working when it shouldn't, rather than not working when it should.

h1ghland3r

Oct 3, 2012
Thanks for that info

I tried 0.10.1 again and I am back to the issue with it not functioning after a while. I strongly doubt this is battery optimization related because when this occurs, it is extremely difficult to get Tap, Tap functioning again (disabling/enabling both the accessibility setting and Tap, Tap itself will not get it working) and this has been confirmed by others in this thread. Since I am IN Tap, Tap when I can't get it working again, I can't see it possibly being related to Tap, Tap getting killed by the system.

At this point, I have gone back to .9 again, because I would prefer to have it working when it shouldn't, rather than not working when it should.

I prefer 0.9 too. I rolled back as well as it is not killed by the system as easier as 0.10 and 0.11.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
Actually, now that I am back on .9 again, the notification goes away when I turn off Tap, Tap with the quick setting tile. I thought I remembered that was how it was working and I prefer it that way, as it shows whether Tap, Tap is on or not.

Reactions: vonDubenshire

CoolKitty

Mar 28, 2017
Am I the only one with an issue with some of the gates, particularly the keyboard gate?
To explain, I use gboard and I have the gate for keyboard as well as a gate for the app itself to prevent false triggers but it absolutely doesn't work. I get constant triggers while typing. I have vibration on my keyboard, it's set at 22ms duration on keystroke, I assume that's at least part of the issue. It even triggers when the sensitivity is at the very low setting. Kind of annoying.
Otherwise, great app. Good work to the dev. Everything else but the keyboard issue works as expected. Using it on Pixel 3a.

(On a totally unrelated note, it's kind of sad that the new pixels have done away with the squeeze gesture)

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Am I the only one with an issue with some of the gates, particularly the keyboard gate?
To explain, I use gboard and I have the gate for keyboard as well as a gate for the app itself to prevent false triggers but it absolutely doesn't work. I get constant triggers while typing. I have vibration on my keyboard, it's set at 22ms duration on keystroke, I assume that's at least part of the issue. It even triggers when the sensitivity is at the very low setting. Kind of annoying.
Otherwise, great app. Good work to the dev. Everything else but the keyboard issue works as expected. Using it on Pixel 3a.

(On a totally unrelated note, it's kind of sad that the new pixels have done away with the squeeze gesture)

Keyboard gate is explained above here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...re-from-android-11-port.4140573/post-84526719

akpe

Jan 25, 2006
Athens
Hello :)

I'd like to report weird behaviour on my Pixel 5 (stock).

I have found my best settings to be with gesture sensitivity at two clicks (which is 0.4 judging by the custom sensitivity setting). Anything above that and my actions are triggered when typing.

However I noticed that after a while the service completely stops. Set it up last nigth, went to bed, this morning I double tapped the back of the device and it wasn't working. Battery optimization is off, and the auto-restart service option is on.

Now if I wait a while or just open the app, it starts working again, but the sensitivity is back at default (around 0.05).The sensitivity slider is right where I left it, at two clicks, but it just feels exactly like it's back at the middle, actions are triggered easily just by typing. If I manually move the sensitivity slider at middle, then back at two clicks, it's back to my perfect setting again.

Any idea how can I further troubleshoot this?

Thank you!

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
10.1 stopped working for me. 10.0 worked fine as did all the previous versions I tried. But on 10.1 I get the haptic feedback but it doesn't take a screenshot. I rolled back to 10.0 and it works perfect. Samsung s20+

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
10.1 stopped working for me. 10.0 worked fine as did all the previous versions I tried. But on 10.1 I get the haptic feedback but it doesn't take a screenshot. I rolled back to 10.0 and it works perfect. Samsung s20+

10.1 doesn't touch the engine, it only contains two bug fixes for the UI. There's no reason why 10.1 wouldn't work but 10.0 would.

rsngfrce

May 13, 2012
NorCal
10.1 doesn't touch the engine, it only contains two bug fixes for the UI. There's no reason why 10.1 wouldn't work but 10.0 would.
While I completely believe you know what changes you made, the fact is that 0.9 continues to function on my Galaxy S10e, Android 11, while .10 and .10.1 stop functioning. I am happily using .9 again without issue (and with the additional advantage of the Tap, Tap notification only being present when Tap, Tap is enabled, which I prefer).

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
While I completely believe you know what changes you made, the fact is that 0.9 continues to function on my Galaxy S10e, Android 11, while .10 and .10.1 stop functioning. I am happily using .9 again without issue (and with the additional advantage of the Tap, Tap notification only being present when Tap, Tap is enabled, which I prefer).

0.9 -> 0.10 is a big change. A huge change in fact. I can totally believe that something isn't working right on 0.10.x which I'm yet to find, but for something in the core to be working in 0.10.1 but not in 0.10.0 is impossible as nothing changed.

z3br4

Mar 9, 2021
Hi everyone.
I'm having trouble setuping (with get started menu) in 0.10.1.
Tap, Tap is running on my Samsung M11 (stock OS).
Is there any hope to get it to work on my device?

EDIT:
R.I.P. Thought app uses accelerometer, and my cheap a$$phone doen't have gyroscope (instaling 0.9.0 told me the hard way)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it possible to be able to have a triple tap related to turning on portrait mode and turning off portrait mode?
    You can with Tasker but not without.
    Please add auto rotate button to action
    Tap, Tap is a port of the double tap on back of device gesture from Android 11 to any Android 7.0+ device. It allows you to use the gesture to launch apps, control the device (including pressing the home, back and recents buttons), take a screenshot, toggle the flashlight, open your assistant and more. Using "gates", you're able to block the gesture from working in scenarios such as when the screen is off, when you're on a call, when an app is open and more. It uses an accessibility service to run these tasks and stay running in the background. Tap, Tap uses the same machine learning code and TensorFlow models from the Android 11 builds with the gesture, with code directly lifted from SystemUIGoogle where needed. You can pick from three models in the settings: Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL; allowing you to choose the one that fits your device best. Machine learning allows the gesture to be more accurately detected, and reduces the chance of accidental interactions.

Tap, Tap is currently in beta, and may be slightly buggy. Stay tuned for new features and bug fixes. If you'd like to report a bug or suggest a feature, you can do so in this thread or on the GitHub.

Screenshots:

Example video, showing launching the camera on double tap

Changelog for latest bugfix version (0.10.1 Beta):
    Changelog said:
    Fixed crash when launching the app without an internet connection
    Fixed crash when adding a requirement to an action after moving actions around or deleting some

Previous changelog for 0.10 Beta:
    Changelog said:
    • A full rewrite of almost all of the behind the scenes of the app, which should be more stable, compatible and efficient. This means the "Split Service" option has gone and is effectively always enabled, so a notification will be shown (which means less chance the app gets killed). You can long press it to hide it without affecting battery optimisation.
      New Actions:
    • Accept Call & Reject Call (make sure to disable the call gate if you wish to use Reject to hang up a call)
    • Swipe Left, Right, Up & Down (requires secondary gesture service)
    • New Gates for foldable devices, for the open and closed state of the device
    • Added a Backup & Restore feature, using Storage Access Framework so you can backup and restore directly from Google Drive if you wish
    • Added a built in update downloader to workaround the issue where some were unable to download an APK from the app (if you can't download this update, click the "GitHub" link in the app and find the APK in the releases section)
    • Improved Battery & Optimisation screen to link off to dontkillmyapp.com for your OEM if available
    • Re-shuffled About section to have its own page with full credits for contributors and translators - thank you!
    • Fixed a load of bugs including: Triple tap running feedback when gated, Double tap running feedback when set to do nothing and Triple tap enabled, crashes on MIUI and Android 7.0, crashes when an app used in an action or gate is uninstalled
    • Removed unused resources & code, reducing the size of the APK by around 1MB

Download:
    Version 0.10.1 Beta

GitHub:
    https://github.com/KieronQuinn/TapTap
    New version, 0.5 Alpha
    Changelog said:
    - Added sensitivity option with a slider under the gesture settings (experimental)
    - Added option to disable battery optimisation, and some tips on how to make it work on your weird OEM firmwares
    - Haptic feedback will now only happen when do not disturb is not enabled (thanks Ashutosh Singh) - there's an option to override this if you want
    - Added power menu action (thanks Adrian Campos)
    - Moved "Reachability" to Utilities
    - Added gates for Keyboard visibility and orientation
    - Fixed app picker not showing all apps when selecting for a gate, and the hide system apps doing the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do
    - Tweaked UI even more
    - Updated translations

Download (also in first post)
    New version: 0.6 Alpha
    Changelog said:
    Implemented "requirements" (aka "when gates") for actions. This allows you to specify an action to only be run when a condition is met (any gate can be used for this), such as an app running or the display being off - example is below
    Added Table gate
    Added pocket gate
    Added gates for detecting headsets and music playing
    Added Sound Profile control - needs do not disturb access, app will prompt you (thanks Ashutosh Singh)
    Updated translations & contributors

Download version 0.6 Alpha (also in first post)

Example of requirements, which I'm currently using on my device (click to enlarge):

What it does:
    - If Pokemon GO is being played -> Run a Tasker task that starts the CalcyIV overlay
    - Otherwise, if Music is playing -> skip to the next track
    - Otherwise, if a headset is connected -> play the track (this will never pause as the previous action would've been run)
    - Otherwise, if the screen is off -> toggle the flashlight
    - Otherwise -> launch Spotify

Remember, once an action has been run successfully, no further actions below it will be run. Place your highest priority actions at the top, and work your way down setting up requirements for each action until the last one, which is always the "last resort" and will only be run if all the other actions' requirements are not met.

If you have some other great ideas of how to make the most out of this new feature, share them in this thread!
    New version, Alpha 0.4:
    Changelog said:
    - Added new Split Screen action which starts split screen
    - Added new mock-reachability mode that uses split screen with an empty top half (except for two buttons to open the notifications and quick settings without reaching up)
    - Moved declaration of an action's category to TapAction instead of defining each category's items as a list
    - Implemented the isAvailable boolean in the picker, which hides Screenshot & Lock Screen on < 9.0. Updated default list to cope with this on < 9.0 (default is now Assistant then Home)
    - Migrated to using Tensorflow library rather than the shared library and code taken from SystemUI, hopefully fixing Android 7.0. This will also enable armv7 support.
    - Added a bunch of new languages and updates to current ones (now supports English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Ukranian, Vietnamese & Traditional Chinese)

Download (also in first post)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone