[APP][BETA] Custom Second Screen Widgets for Stock

Search This thread

lowridincrew,

Jun 24, 2011
Cleveland
LG V40
LG V50 ThinQ
So a lot of you probably aren't going to like this.

After RedDragon essentially abandoned us with the second screen on AOSP, I got discouraged from working on this project further. You've probably noticed that it hasn't been updated in months, I haven't been responding to posts, and I've added a note to the Play Store description that the app has been discontinued.

I'm still not entirely sure how much work I want to put into this, but I've found new inspiration in using Kotlin, and I've decided to make a successor to this app, coded in Kotlin and hopefully less buggy. I have been reading all the beta feedback I've gotten on the Play Store, and I'm going to go through it again, but I will try to work in what was requested there.

The current plan is to have the information, weather and image screens be present. I don't plan on adding the contacts or app shortcuts screens, as LG already has implementations for both. I'm working on the information screen first, and once I feel that it's ready, I'll release as a beta here on XDA

Please give feedback. I'll read what you guys have to say and work it in. Then I'll work on the next widget, etc.

Now here's the part you may not like. As much as I want to promote the world of free apps, I think I'm going to ultimately make this new one paid. I'll set the price as low as possible (I think it's $0.99), but I feel the need to do this for two reasons. One, while I find this programming thing to be enjoyable, it can't be a hobby forever. Two, I need some sort of filter from the trolls and people who can't be bothered to read before leaving a 1 star review asking a question that's already been resolved, only to not respond to my reply.

The app WILL be free while it's in beta.

Now, I'm still going to make the app open source, so if you know how, you can always build it yourself and get it for free. I ask you, though, to not share any builds you make, and if I'm legally able, I will take action.

I'm going to keep this version of the app available on the Play Store, but I'll likely close this thread and add a link to the OP directing users to the discussion thread for the new app.

I'm also not completely sold (heh) on selling the new version, so if someone has a convincing argument for providing it freely, or for continuing my current plan, let me hear it! Also remember, I am a mod, so let's keep things civil ;)

Whew, this turned out longer than I was expecting...

****, I thought you were going to abandon us. :eek: You're good lol. .99 Is perfectly fine with me especially if you dev it for AOSP too.

Zacharee1

Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
****, I thought you were going to abandon us. :eek: You're good lol. .99 Is perfectly fine with me especially if you dev it for AOSP too.
Well there's no implementation for AOSP. I don't even have the source for the progress that was already made. If a developer creates a new implementation and listens for the 36864 AppWidget category, then these will work. Until then, it's Stock only.

Zacharee1

Alright guys. It isn't perfect, but here's a functioning version with the Information widget.

IMPORTANT: I haven't yet built in any sort of setup activity, so you'll need to do this manually for now. Make sure to grant all permissions to the app in its Settings page! Also, go to Settings>>Apps>>3-dot Menu>>Configure>>Special Access>>Notification Access and enable BoredSigns there. Do this BEFORE enabling the widget.

Once you've allowed all permissions, you can go to Settings>>Second screen and enable the Information Screen widget. Just like with the Stock LG widgets, tap on the item itself to open the configuration.

Attachments

• app-release.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

netgar

Jan 14, 2012
Alright guys. It isn't perfect, but here's a functioning version with the Information widget.

IMPORTANT: I haven't yet built in any sort of setup activity, so you'll need to do this manually for now. Make sure to grant all permissions to the app in its Settings page! Also, go to Settings>>Apps>>3-dot Menu>>Configure>>Special Access>>Notification Access and enable BoredSigns there. Do this BEFORE enabling the widget.

Once you've allowed all permissions, you can go to Settings>>Second screen and enable the Information Screen widget. Just like with the Stock LG widgets, tap on the item itself to open the configuration.

Do I understand that right? This is to make second screen to work on AOSP ?

Sachiru

Nov 29, 2012
Tested by installing on a F800K (Korean) variant running 10b, the widget does not show up in Widgets or on Second Screen options.

How can I help you with diagnosing this?

thirdzcee

May 13, 2012
Bacolod City

The battery icon is huge and alignment of the notification goes off screen for the 1st notification icon.. ill attach a photo later

Using an H990DS, on 10j

jl10101

Jan 16, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S10+
@Zacharee1 - Thanks for pushing on with this. I think I speak for a lot of V20 users when I say I would gladly pay for the app. We are in desperate need of mods / extra configuration for the device! So count me in!

Zacharee1

New build. Notifications are no longer aligned to the other icons in the widget, so they'll always be on screen. This does mean that, if you have enough notifications and, say, the date enabled, that the WiFi or mobile icons might overlap with notification icons. I'll work on backgrounds to prevent overlap.

Hopefully, this will also fix those crashes.

Attachments

• app-release.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 115

thirdzcee

May 13, 2012
Bacolod City
Latest apk works great, notification icon is now fixed but the battery icon is still slightly longer than the height of the signal and wifi icons, other than that, havent run in to any issues

Attachments

• 20180112_223941.jpg
    20180112_223941.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Screenshot_20180113-004628.jpg
    Screenshot_20180113-004628.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 294

Zacharee1

Here's another build. Now, if any permissions aren't granted, you'll be prompted to grant them before any widget will work (still only the Info widget that exists; behavior may change in the future since Weather probably won't need to read the phone state :p).

Other stuff:
- Tweaked backend operations, which will hopefully reduce power consumption
- Battery wouldn't update to charging state after unplugging then plugging in again
- Added a text indicator to the mobile signal slot so you can see which type of data you have

Notifications will still overlap with other icons if you have a lot of either. Maybe I should just separate the notifications view into its own widget? What do you guys think?
The app won't check if it has Notification Access, so this still needs to be granted manually.

Which widget should I work on next? The image widget should be pretty easy, since it's just setting an image, but weather could be more useful (it will take a lot longer to make, since I need to find an Android API or figure out how to use Yahoo Weather's JSON API).

Attachments

• app-release.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 125

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In the process of making some SignBoard widgets for the soon-to-be-released AOSP implementation, I found out that they will also work for the Stock SignBoard. The plan for these is to have them work on both Stock and AOSP eventually, but I figured I'd share what I have so far for Stock users, so I can get some bug reports and such.

Currently, the app includes:
    - An information screen, similar to LG's Immersive Mode screen
    - A contacts shortcut screen
    - A weather screen
    - A custom image screen

The elements of the music controller and information screen can be colored using the app.

Works without root! Instructions: http://zacharywander.tk/#sswidgets_adb

If you find a problem, I'd appreciate it if you opened an issue on the GitHub repo; it helps me stay organized.

Play Store (beta opt-in): https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.zacharee1.sswidgets
    GitHub: https://github.com/zacharee/SSWidgets
    So a lot of you probably aren't going to like this.

After RedDragon essentially abandoned us with the second screen on AOSP, I got discouraged from working on this project further. You've probably noticed that it hasn't been updated in months, I haven't been responding to posts, and I've added a note to the Play Store description that the app has been discontinued.

I'm still not entirely sure how much work I want to put into this, but I've found new inspiration in using Kotlin, and I've decided to make a successor to this app, coded in Kotlin and hopefully less buggy. I have been reading all the beta feedback I've gotten on the Play Store, and I'm going to go through it again, but I will try to work in what was requested there.

The current plan is to have the information, weather and image screens be present. I don't plan on adding the contacts or app shortcuts screens, as LG already has implementations for both. I'm working on the information screen first, and once I feel that it's ready, I'll release as a beta here on XDA

Please give feedback. I'll read what you guys have to say and work it in. Then I'll work on the next widget, etc.

Now here's the part you may not like. As much as I want to promote the world of free apps, I think I'm going to ultimately make this new one paid. I'll set the price as low as possible (I think it's $0.99), but I feel the need to do this for two reasons. One, while I find this programming thing to be enjoyable, it can't be a hobby forever. Two, I need some sort of filter from the trolls and people who can't be bothered to read before leaving a 1 star review asking a question that's already been resolved, only to not respond to my reply.

The app WILL be free while it's in beta.

Now, I'm still going to make the app open source, so if you know how, you can always build it yourself and get it for free. I ask you, though, to not share any builds you make, and if I'm legally able, I will take action.

I'm going to keep this version of the app available on the Play Store, but I'll likely close this thread and add a link to the OP directing users to the discussion thread for the new app.

I'm also not completely sold (heh) on selling the new version, so if someone has a convincing argument for providing it freely, or for continuing my current plan, let me hear it! Also remember, I am a mod, so let's keep things civil ;)

Whew, this turned out longer than I was expecting...
    Here's another build. Now, if any permissions aren't granted, you'll be prompted to grant them before any widget will work (still only the Info widget that exists; behavior may change in the future since Weather probably won't need to read the phone state :p).

Other stuff:
    - Tweaked backend operations, which will hopefully reduce power consumption
    - Battery wouldn't update to charging state after unplugging then plugging in again
    - Added a text indicator to the mobile signal slot so you can see which type of data you have

Notifications will still overlap with other icons if you have a lot of either. Maybe I should just separate the notifications view into its own widget? What do you guys think?
    The app won't check if it has Notification Access, so this still needs to be granted manually.

Which widget should I work on next? The image widget should be pretty easy, since it's just setting an image, but weather could be more useful (it will take a lot longer to make, since I need to find an Android API or figure out how to use Yahoo Weather's JSON API).
    Since I didn't get any responses, here's the image widget.