• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][BETA] Navbar Weather - weather forecast at your navigation bar

Search This thread

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
What is "Navbar Weather"?

It's weather app that shows forecast in unique way - on navigation bar via eg. chart. So to use it you obviously have to have navigation bar in your smartphone.

How does it work?

I've been using Huawei Mate 9 for over a year now. It always pissed me off that I had to put a widget on the home screen to check the weather forecast. But hey, why not use navigation bar for the weather forecast? So I decided to develop some small app for my Mate 9, that can show weather chart for next 5 days (in 3 hours intervals) on Navbar. It's still in beta stage (please report me abut any bugs or new ideas in this thread before you rate it). It works pretty good for me, but for sure I know that there is a lot work to do.

So far Navbar Weather was tested only on my Mate 9, but it should work also on any other smartphone with Navigation Bar. It it also confirmed that app works on: Huawei Honor V10, Moto X4 (May 2018 Android 8.1), Samsung Galaxy devices with navigation bar.

Installation

Google Play link: Navbar Weather - forecast at your Navigation Bar

3oBoXeZZeAyIsmR7lgTqQnu6OWfAblr_AN0wCtKfcQwz38EnzbbOt0tuM-uHtKqYiA=w1440-h620
ZJSWhgijPeW2qo_odfk8MpciDzRbe3TUk9oEIvrbRe40x1Zrw3Fz0DQ_4sQqttGghhg=w1440-h620

Permissions:
App need permission to get localization of your smartphone (to get localized weather forecast data) and permission to display over other apps (it's obligatory to place weather forecast at your navigation bar).

Last edited:

SchmilK

Nov 2, 2007
play.google.com
This is pretty slick!!
Confirmed working on Moto X4 on May 2018 Android 8.1.

2 questions
1) Nova doesn't seem to allow the overlay when on home screen/app drawer, any way to allow that?
2) Each time i go in the app the Navbar Weather switch is off and can't turn it on unless i set location even though it's already being displayed.

Last edited:

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
This is pretty slick!!
Confirmed working on Moto X4 on May 2018 Android 8.1.

2 questions
1) Nova doesn't seem to allow the overlay when on home screen/app drawer, any way to allow that?
2) Can I force one graph to be displayed at all times, instead of changing by time or by switching apps?

Thank you! :)
1) I need to investigate that, right now I'm on EMUI, never tested it with Nova. Let me investigate that, I'll try to answer you asap.
2) Just go to settings and select desired Forecast Data Types. You can select e.g. only temperature to force one graph. Also you can turn off Chart Carousel - then you can switch between charts by pressing home button ;)

SchmilK

Nov 2, 2007
play.google.com
Thank you! :)
1) I need to investigate that, right now I'm on EMUI, never tested it with Nova. Let me investigate that, I'll try to answer you asap.
2) Just go to settings and select desired Forecast Data Types. You can select e.g. only temperature to force one graph. Also you can turn off Chart Carousel - then you can switch between charts by pressing home button ;)

Found it, thanks! I'll try a few other launchers as well.

ADW 2.0 overlay is allowed.

Last edited:

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
Working fine on my Note 8.

But it closes when you get rid of the window in the task manager.

Thank you for your feedback! Now I know it works on Note 8.

Yes it closes when you get rit of the window in the task manager because some users complained they're can't close it normally. If you wish to let it run try to lock app with lock symbol at the task manager. Hope it helps :)

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Thank you for your feedback! Now I know it works on Note 8.

Yes it closes when you get rit of the window in the task manager because some users complained they're can't close it normally. If you wish to let it run try to lock app with lock symbol at the task manager. Hope it helps :)

You are welcome.

Strange feedback you had because this kind of apps are meant to be left running (plus, you have a toggle on the main screen) ; like a widget you want it to be running and refresh informations even it you close the app, or else you just go to the internet for one time information about the weather.

For what I understood of the behaviour of android and its task manager now, it's only an badly made alt+tab like app switcher, not really a manager. If I close all the windows all it does nothing but not having a window history, and apps are still running and updating in the background, leaving doze and manufacturer's auto close/optimising built-in features to deal with what apps and when they have to run and be closed.

Maybe I'm wrong and it actually does more?

I just notice it follows the windows animations (using Nova launcher), so it appear somewhat in the middle of the screen before reaching the bottom when animation of complete. I don't know of you can force it to sick at the bottom?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
You are welcome.

Strange feedback you had because this kind of apps are meant to be left running (plus, you have a toggle on the main screen) ; like a widget you want it to be running and refresh informations even it you close the app, or else you just go to the internet for one time information about the weather.

For what I understood of the behaviour of android and its task manager now, it's only an badly made alt+tab like app switcher, not really a manager. If I close all the windows all it does nothing but not having a window history, and apps are still running and updating in the background, leaving doze and manufacturer's auto close/optimising built-in features to deal with what apps and when they have to run and be closed.

There is many more strange feedback, like - "it doesn't work on my smartphone that doesn't have navigation bar" :confused:

Apps without any background or foreground services are destroyed if you close them in task manager. Navbar Weather is running together with foreground service that is responsible for forecast at navigation bar. Right now there is couple of lines of code inside main app that tells foreground service to shut down if main app is closed/destroyed. I can change that easily, so I'll try add something to settings so you can select if you wish to run navigation bar weather forecast even if main app was closed. Thanks for pointing me out that :)

I just notice it follows the windows animations (using Nova launcher), so it appear somewhat in the middle of the screen before reaching the bottom when animation of complete. I don't know of you can force it to sick at the bottom?

Thanks!

You mean those app opening animations available in Nova Launcher? Right now I'm using it and it seems to work normally at my smartphone. I'll try to test Nova with Navbar a little more, maybe there are some style settings that cause this.

Thanks!

Reactions: PhilDX

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
There is many more strange feedback, like - "it doesn't work on my smartphone that doesn't have navigation bar" :confused:

Apps without any background or foreground services are destroyed if you close them in task manager. Navbar Weather is running together with foreground service that is responsible for forecast at navigation bar. Right now there is couple of lines of code inside main app that tells foreground service to shut down if main app is closed/destroyed. I can change that easily, so I'll try add something to settings so you can select if you wish to run navigation bar weather forecast even if main app was closed. Thanks for pointing me out that :)

You mean those app opening animations available in Nova Launcher? Right now I'm using it and it seems to work normally at my smartphone. I'll try to test Nova with Navbar a little more, maybe there are some style settings that cause this.

Thanks!

Thanks for pointed that out, I didn't know. That would be great. :)

I remember that some Samsung device doesn't have a nav bar because they got sensitive buttons under the screen on the frame, but I don't know how it behave at all then.

About Nova, I thought it happened with every opening animations but i was wrong, story.
But it actually happens every time when I press the home button from the home screen to open the search bar. It goes strange when the keyboard is popping out.

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for pointed that out, I didn't know. That would be great. :)

I remember that some Samsung device doesn't have a nav bar because they got sensitive buttons under the screen on the frame, but I don't know how it behave at all then.

About Nova, I thought it happened with every opening animations but i was wrong, story.
But it actually happens every time when I press the home button from the home screen to open the search bar. It goes strange when the keyboard is popping out.

Please try out new 0.8.7 version of Navbar Weather :) I think it works now as it should, so even when you kill application in task manager Navbar Weather won't disappear.

That's right, devices with sensitive buttons under screen are not supported, if someone enable Navbar Weather - chart just won't appear.

About Nova, it looks like could be keyboard problem.

Nastrahl

Dec 9, 2017
Please try out new 0.8.7 version of Navbar Weather :) I think it works now as it should, so even when you kill application in task manager Navbar Weather won't disappear.

That's right, devices with sensitive buttons under screen are not supported, if someone enable Navbar Weather - chart just won't appear.

About Nova, it looks like could be keyboard problem.

Awesome, it's working flawlessly. :)

Do you have a roadmap? To avoid asking obvious questions about what do you plan next?

Thanks

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
Awesome, it's working flawlessly. :)

Do you have a roadmap? To avoid asking obvious questions about what do you plan next?

Thanks

Great to hear that :)

Right now I'm planning to add UV index forecast, Weather Alerts (don't know yet how to put that on navigation bar, but it's just a plan right now), Air pollution forecast and in future - more weather providers to choose from. Currently trying to fix some bugs ;)

Thank you very much for your support, if you have some ideas how to improve Navbar Weather - just let me know :)

Lorbas

Jan 12, 2008
App version is now 0.8.9.9, so most of bugs were fixed. Also now you can turn on UV Index forecast, which is really helpful to protect your skin.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is "Navbar Weather"?

It's weather app that shows forecast in unique way - on navigation bar via eg. chart. So to use it you obviously have to have navigation bar in your smartphone.

How does it work?

I've been using Huawei Mate 9 for over a year now. It always pissed me off that I had to put a widget on the home screen to check the weather forecast. But hey, why not use navigation bar for the weather forecast? So I decided to develop some small app for my Mate 9, that can show weather chart for next 5 days (in 3 hours intervals) on Navbar. It's still in beta stage (please report me abut any bugs or new ideas in this thread before you rate it). It works pretty good for me, but for sure I know that there is a lot work to do.

So far Navbar Weather was tested only on my Mate 9, but it should work also on any other smartphone with Navigation Bar. It it also confirmed that app works on: Huawei Honor V10, Moto X4 (May 2018 Android 8.1), Samsung Galaxy devices with navigation bar.

Installation

Google Play link: Navbar Weather - forecast at your Navigation Bar

3oBoXeZZeAyIsmR7lgTqQnu6OWfAblr_AN0wCtKfcQwz38EnzbbOt0tuM-uHtKqYiA=w1440-h620
    ZJSWhgijPeW2qo_odfk8MpciDzRbe3TUk9oEIvrbRe40x1Zrw3Fz0DQ_4sQqttGghhg=w1440-h620

Permissions:
    App need permission to get localization of your smartphone (to get localized weather forecast data) and permission to display over other apps (it's obligatory to place weather forecast at your navigation bar).
    You are welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks!