• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[app] (BETA!!!) Otter Browser for Windows on ARM32

Search This thread

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Hey all, it's probably been a while since I posted, but as time has went on, I've been working on Otter Browser ports.

It isn't stable, which is why it says BETA! Please say if something isn't working, I'll look at it when I can.

What can it do so far?
Some sites are more faster than Edge

What can it not do?
Large JavaScript sites/files. Multimedia was fixed!

How stable exactly is "not stable"?
Well, it crashes at random. If you go to a site with too much JavaScript it will crash, certain sites just don't work, etc.

Will this all be fixed!
Of course! I'm working on it as much as I can!

If you want to test it out, let me know how it works, etc, then that would be gladly appreciated, I'm trying to do what I can for the peeps only with an ARM32 device.

Tested sites: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14lQLsQoMKNPalPbF7SQLxCgpOp80a82vM9aeRV6xOd0/edit?usp=sharing

Download link(s):

Latest (permalink)
https://download.pahaze.net/armv7win/Otter/latest

7/29/2021 build - EARLY MULTIMEDIA BUILD - NO YouTube YET
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXKqeMRkWY7Y_ejDTXoj-Qs3Fma43amG/view

4/22/2021 build
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UvpJJuombejj_hh15sIyHA-_d2Y_flQZ/view?usp=sharing

How do I install it!!!
Extract the folder from the 7zip file ANYWHERE. It doesn't matter where it is!
C:\Program Files; your desktop; you name it, it'll work just fine there. I do plan on making an installer, but for the time being, a folder on your desktop or in your documents or something isn't going to hurt.

Have fun out there!

Last edited:

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Thanks for that, hope some people will give you feedbacks. I'm so pissed at Microsoft for letting this perfectly working tablet die.
My pleasure! I'm going to update it as much as possible, but I'm still in school so updates won't be immediate or frequent compared to the official Otter builds. I love the lil tablets myself and had been using my Surface 2 as a main PC until early 2020.

Reactions: Horuhe Delaroddia

Traceur_M

May 9, 2021
Hi. I'm trying to run it on a Nokia Lumia 2520 (it runs Windows RT 8.1) and has A ARM32 hardware. I tried to use Otter but windows just gives me an error message saying that it cannot verify the digital signature for this file. Is there a workaround to this?

domboy

Jul 10, 2013
Hi. I'm trying to run it on a Nokia Lumia 2520 (it runs Windows RT 8.1) and has A ARM32 hardware. I tried to use Otter but windows just gives me an error message saying that it cannot verify the digital signature for this file. Is there a workaround to this?
Sounds like you still need "jailbreak" it for this browser to run. There are threads in the RT subform on how to do that. I never upgraded to 8.1 so I haven't tried that procedure myself...

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Yeah, you just need to sign it with a signtool. The one in the forums here works. Just be sure RT8.1 has the jailbroke ran. It runs worse on RT8.1, from what I've heard though (just warning). You may also need to put these DLLs in it's folder.

Horuhe Delaroddia

Jul 16, 2017
Hello , I have tested your browser on Lumia 930 running a leaked version of Windows Arm 32.
It's UI and some pages work flawlesslly but it warns about SSL not being supported or something like that.
Do you maybe have a telegram account? You would surelly be welcomed on WOAaarch32 telegram group

Reactions: frylockk19

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Hello , I have tested your browser on Lumia 930 running a leaked version of Windows Arm 32.
It's UI and some pages work flawlesslly but it warns about SSL not being supported or something like that.
Do you maybe have a telegram account? You would surelly be welcomed on WOAaarch32 telegram group
I'm glad to hear that it's working good, but that SSL is a little mistake by me... I forgot to copy and rename some DLLs. I'll fix it in a future build, sorry about that. It's nothing bad, just a DLL spelling mistake.
Also, sadly, no, I do not have Telegram. I would like to get it but as I'm a minor I can not easily get whatever social media I please. If I do get it, I'll be sure to post it here.

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
I'm glad to hear that it's working good, but that SSL is a little mistake by me... I forgot to copy and rename some DLLs. I'll fix it in a future build, sorry about that. It's nothing bad, just a DLL spelling mistake.
Also, sadly, no, I do not have Telegram. I would like to get it but as I'm a minor I can not easily get whatever social media I please. If I do get it, I'll be sure to post it here.
@Horuhe Delaroddia got it : )
I'm @frylockk19 on there and I already joined the Windows Aarch32 Lumia group

aq3e

Nov 10, 2008
Just wanted to pop in and say that I tested this on the Windows 10 Build and it works just as well on my RT1 as it did on 8.1, Buggy but still as good as edge.

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Just wanted to pop in and say that I tested this on the Windows 10 Build and it works just as well on my RT1 as it did on 8.1, Buggy but still as good as edge.
That's awesome! RT8.1 isn't expected to do well with it though, sadly.. This is due to the whole THUMB2 limitations and junk 🥲. I plan on making stable RT8.1 releases and RT10 releases where the RT10 releases have JIT. Glad to hear how it's as good as Edge though. I'm doing what I can and hopefully will release a new/more stable build soon. I'm dealing with some issues (irl, not computer or whatnot), but hopefully should be back to building apps in a few days or so. Have fun with it!

OlirexGamer

Oct 23, 2017
Hello, I wanted to thank you for working on this Browser, it works on my Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11 which runs Windows 8.1 RT. I'm also wanted to report some bugs since on 8.1 there are some and I've seen anybody talking about them here. So here they are :
-1: When trying to erase (backspace) on a search engine page the browser will crash.
-2: When trying to access any website that allows you to sign in (ex: YouTube, any hospital or bank website) it crashes.
I'll stop at these two since, again, I'm not sure if it's the right place and I don't want to pollute the thread. If it's not the right place, I'll gladly report them wherever it is. So thank you in advance.

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Hello, I wanted to thank you for working on this Browser, it works on my Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11 which runs Windows 8.1 RT. I'm also wanted to report some bugs since on 8.1 there are some and I've seen anybody talking about them here. So here they are :
-1: When trying to erase (backspace) on a search engine page the browser will crash.
-2: When trying to access any website that allows you to sign in (ex: YouTube, any hospital or bank website) it crashes.
I'll stop at these two since, again, I'm not sure if it's the right place and I don't want to pollute the thread. If it's not the right place, I'll gladly report them wherever it is. So thank you in advance.
You're absolutely fine reporting any issues here! I know about them, and I'm doing what I can but progress is slow due to stuff happening outside of porting and I only have so much RAM (8GB) so I only can build with like 6 jobs at a time ; )
The goal is to get Otter as close to Win32's version, but I may *drop* Otter if I can get GTK building as it seems to be more lightweight (an example being Midori). YouTube won't work at all though, for sure. No multimedia works, sadly. I don't know about banking/hospital site's logins as I'm a minor and do not have any accounts for any of them (lol), but I'll see if it's happening with stuff like GitHub and report back if I can fix it, or if there's a new build you can try out.

Reactions: OlirexGamer

OlirexGamer

Oct 23, 2017
You're absolutely fine reporting any issues here! I know about them, and I'm doing what I can but progress is slow due to stuff happening outside of porting and I only have so much RAM (8GB) so I only can build with like 6 jobs at a time ; )
The goal is to get Otter as close to Win32's version, but I may *drop* Otter if I can get GTK building as it seems to be more lightweight (an example being Midori). YouTube won't work at all though, for sure. No multimedia works, sadly. I don't know about banking/hospital site's logins as I'm a minor and do not have any accounts for any of them (lol), but I'll see if it's happening with stuff like GitHub and report back if I can fix it, or if there's a new build you can try out.
Okay, that's good to know. What I've seen is that it should crash with any page in which you have to log in for anything so, for example, I think this website would do the same or Gmail. Thank you for your work, we'll be waiting patiently for the next update.

Doc_Presley

Jul 11, 2021
Just want to tell you, that i am so thankfull for your work an the browser. The Surface is running so good and is doing such a good job for me. I cannot understand why MS let this Tablet die.
Only problem is, you know that, the Browser. Since the Win 10 Setup, the Edge Browser works "ok", but i have reached its limits very early.
Thank you again for your work, your afford and i hope you will continue with this browser.

frylockk19

Jul 4, 2020
Just want to tell you, that i am so thankfull for your work an the browser. The Surface is running so good and is doing such a good job for me. I cannot understand why MS let this Tablet die.
Only problem is, you know that, the Browser. Since the Win 10 Setup, the Edge Browser works "ok", but i have reached its limits very early.
Thank you again for your work, your afford and i hope you will continue with this browser.
No problem! I plan on continuing as much as I can with it and hoping next build I can get a JIT build out for the Win10 users even! Qt is just painfully slow to compile on my computer due to low RAM amount (8GB 2666MHz with a Ryzen 5) 😅. May try to get a server or something to speed up builds.

Reactions: OlirexGamer

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks. my experience is that youtube videos start but then the app closes. chess.com I can try to login but then it says it's checking the browser and returns to the login. brainhq.com I can login fine; when I try an exercise it says I need adobe flash. tennis.com and google news work briefly.

this in some ways is a big step forward from ie 11, which will not even engage in logging in, and can't open tennis.com at all.
    hello - thanks so much for doing this. I have a surface 2 running windows 8.1 rt. I successfully jailbroke it and can install ported .exe files such as 7zip. I'm trying to start the otter browser and am stopped at the finish line due to an issue with the digital signature. does anyone know of a way to overcome this problem?
    hello - thanks so much for doing this. I have a surface 2 running windows 8.1 rt. I successfully jailbroke it and can install ported .exe files such as 7zip. I'm trying to start the otter browser and am stopped at the finish line due to an issue with the digital signature. does anyone know of a way to overcome this problem?
    You have to run the signtool on all DLLs and Otter's EXE file
    You have to run the signtool on all DLLs and Otter's EXE file
    thank you. sorry to have so many questions: does this mean I need to obtain a certificate?
    UPDATE: if people try to download from the permalink, I am FULLY AWARE that the site is down, infinityfree decided to suspend my account and now I'm migrating hosting. Please give me some time or just use the Google Drive link, it's the same thing.
    Hey all, it's probably been a while since I posted, but as time has went on, I've been working on Otter Browser ports.

It isn't stable, which is why it says BETA! Please say if something isn't working, I'll look at it when I can.

What can it do so far?
    Some sites are more faster than Edge

What can it not do?
    Large JavaScript sites/files. Multimedia was fixed!

How stable exactly is "not stable"?
    Well, it crashes at random. If you go to a site with too much JavaScript it will crash, certain sites just don't work, etc.

Will this all be fixed!
    Of course! I'm working on it as much as I can!

If you want to test it out, let me know how it works, etc, then that would be gladly appreciated, I'm trying to do what I can for the peeps only with an ARM32 device.

Tested sites: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14lQLsQoMKNPalPbF7SQLxCgpOp80a82vM9aeRV6xOd0/edit?usp=sharing

Download link(s):

Latest (permalink)
    https://download.pahaze.net/armv7win/Otter/latest

7/29/2021 build - EARLY MULTIMEDIA BUILD - NO YouTube YET
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TXKqeMRkWY7Y_ejDTXoj-Qs3Fma43amG/view

4/22/2021 build
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UvpJJuombejj_hh15sIyHA-_d2Y_flQZ/view?usp=sharing

How do I install it!!!
    Extract the folder from the 7zip file ANYWHERE. It doesn't matter where it is!
    C:\Program Files; your desktop; you name it, it'll work just fine there. I do plan on making an installer, but for the time being, a folder on your desktop or in your documents or something isn't going to hurt.

Have fun out there!
    thanks. my experience is that youtube videos start but then the app closes. chess.com I can try to login but then it says it's checking the browser and returns to the login. brainhq.com I can login fine; when I try an exercise it says I need adobe flash. tennis.com and google news work briefly.

this in some ways is a big step forward from ie 11, which will not even engage in logging in, and can't open tennis.com at all.
    Just a reminder to everyone that asking for ETAs is usually seen as rude on the high majority of XDA.
    And I think especially in our case where the number of devs is limited anyway... We should really avoid situations where the users end up becoming so stressful they decide to drop off... Like it's sadly happened so many times before...
    Update: MULTIMEDIA works!!! (YouTube doesn't yet due to an issue I'm having.) I will throw the update out later today or tomorrow if possible. I want to try to get YT working :)
    Thanks for that, hope some people will give you feedbacks. I'm so pissed at Microsoft for letting this perfectly working tablet die.