[APP] Better StartMenu - Create custom tiles

Search This thread

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
Customize Windows 10 start menu with custom images (even with transparent background) with ease.

It's FREE. Although there's a pro version for donation purposes, there is no difference between trial and pro version in functionality.

You can add tiles for desktop apps, store apps, files, folders, shortcuts and some other actions like shut down etc.

Here are some screenshots of start menus made with Better StartMenu:

3gray.jpg

8full.jpg

15full.jpg

Because of Windows 10's new start menu mechanism, there needs to be a helper app running in the background. And there's a store app by which you can pin tiles to start menu.

You can find the helper app on http://www.win10controller.com/betterstart
Store app link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH1XTDX

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
After updating Windows to version 10532 tiles ceased to be transparent. Is there a way how to get the transparency?

Oops! Honestly I don't know what they changed on this build. I haven't updated to 10532. And I hope they won't change the transparent option. Does it give tiles a default (current theme's) background color?

maxaon09

Nov 16, 2012
I think it would be right to make wider the 2nd section of the app and place icons in the form of a table (vertical or horizontal). Something like this:
e2678422777b9a3caf559de8c0180341.jpg

Use one column when lots of applications are not very comfortable

Last edited:

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
I think it would be right to make wider the 2nd section of the app and place icons in the form of a table (vertical or horizontal). Something like this:

You're absolutely right. I hope I can implement this feature in the next update. Thanks for the idea.

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008

I've implemented this feature and updated the main app. I think it will be available today or at most tomorrow on Windows Store. Thanks for your suggestion again.

Reactions: maxaon09

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
You're absolutely right. This feature is a must have too. I hope I can implement it in the next version. Thanks for your suggestion again.

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
If anyone has feature requests please tell me here or email [email protected] and I hope I can implement it in the next update(s).

And what about the ability to create live tiles? might be a cool feature or a useless thing? I mean a tile with two different images (or an image and a text) and animates like other store app live tiles? If you don't find that one a useless feature, I plan to implement it soon. What do you think?

maxaon09

Nov 16, 2012
And what about the ability to create live tiles? might be a cool feature or a useless thing? What do you think?
My opinion is that animated tile is not mandatory (menu "Start", we see a very short time), but beautiful. And its presence will grace the start menu.
Offer to make a software update to automatic, and does not reinstall.
And it would be great if you would make the app a desktop and not modern.
Thank you for the work done. Let you will succeed further.
And another question: is there any possibility to create a vertical tile?

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
My opinion is that animated tile is not mandatory (menu "Start", we see a very short time), but beautiful. And its presence will grace the start menu.
Offer to make a software update to automatic, and does not reinstall.
And it would be great if you would make the app a desktop and not modern.
Thank you for the work done. Let you will succeed further.
And another question: is there any possibility to create a vertical tile?

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Honestly, I agree with you: nobody waits enough to see the animated tiles on the start menu. It just might be a nice visual but nothing useful. So maybe I need to postpone this one.

You're right about the update thing. It should replace the .exe file with the new one automatically. I hope I can implement this one soon.

About the modern app.. Actually, I can't change the modern app to a desktop app because only modern apps can pin tiles to the start menu (I mean customized tile). This is why we need a modern app besides desktop app.

And vertical tile.. I think you mean a non-standard tile, right? I don't think it's possible because there are predefined sizes for start menu tiles and here's a list of them:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh761491.aspx

Thank you again for your suggestions and your opinions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Customize Windows 10 start menu with custom images (even with transparent background) with ease.

It's FREE. Although there's a pro version for donation purposes, there is no difference between trial and pro version in functionality.

You can add tiles for desktop apps, store apps, files, folders, shortcuts and some other actions like shut down etc.

Here are some screenshots of start menus made with Better StartMenu:

3gray.jpg

8full.jpg

15full.jpg

Because of Windows 10's new start menu mechanism, there needs to be a helper app running in the background. And there's a store app by which you can pin tiles to start menu.

You can find the helper app on http://www.win10controller.com/betterstart
    Store app link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH1XTDX
    Nice app

It works great. Thank you.

I've implemented this feature and updated the main app. I think it will be available today or at most tomorrow on Windows Store. Thanks for your suggestion again.
    Sorry but only a metro (store) app is able to pin custom tiles (with custom images) to start menu on Windows 10. This is why it's a store app.
    Hey, you mean the Threshold 2 update? Is it safe to install the update without losing the better start menu capabilities? Does this program keep working with this windows 10 update?

I'm on build 10586, and the app works just as well as before sans the transparent background. AFAIK nothing else is broken.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone