[APP] Better StartMenu - Create custom tiles

Search This thread

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
I have that problem too, and the only thing I can think of is that the app can't handle more than 32 tiles. If that's how many you have, then my suspicions will be confirmed. The app worked when I deleted one and generated a new one.

I'm sorry for the bug but it's not because of the tile count. I've update the helper app to version 1.6.1 and now it works as expected.

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
Great application !! I been using it and enjoying it for many weeks. All of a sudden now it has stopped working. I have changed nothing here, but now each time I try to Generate Tile Data the program crashes and just says:

BetterStartHelp has stopped working.
Close program.

Any idea why ?? I have had no troubles until now.

Thanks

PS. I am running Windows 10 Pro.

*** UPDATE ***
I just uninstalled and re-installed both the helper app and the main app but still getting the crash .....

Help ???

Sorry for the problem. There was a bug with new tile generation and now I've fixed it on version 1.6.1. Please download it from http://www.win10controller.com/files/BetterStartMenuHelper.zip

Sorry again for taking your time with such a stupid bug.

Thanks for your understanding.

Reactions: SoostheMoos

ablev

Jul 29, 2013
Leverkusen
I have another problem since update to Threshold 2 (build 10586).
Autostart don´t work for me.
I have enabled "Run at startup" in Better startmenu helper and my taskmanager shows me in autostart "BetterStartHelper" as "activated".
But after every pcstart i must start better startmenu helper manually.
Hope, you can help me.

ablev

Reactions: Draydurch

Marotheit

Jan 3, 2016
Seems like this is a still developed replacement to TileCreator, but I really wish that native tiles were simply supported. Keep up the good work.

Dayanto

Oct 8, 2015
I have a couple of suggestions that I came up with since I made the post
* Preview background color
* View background color in lists in both helper app and universal app
* Grab default background color based on icon color. (Looked at some open source code for another project, and HSL averaging seems like something to look into)

Besides those, I also figured out a way of retrieving the tile images for universal apps (if you want to change the background color of a tile for example). I updated the gist to include this feature, and also fixed a couple of edge cases with retrieving universal apps.

Interestingly, most apps, even those without wide or large tiles seem to have a splash image in the dimensions 600×320, which could perhaps be used to generate wide and large tiles for apps where these are missing. (Wide tiles can of course also be generated by adding transparent edges to a medium square tile, though this doesn't work that well with opaque images)

Last edited:

maxaon09

Nov 16, 2012
Hi. Would like to be able to attach a small image on the taskbar. If you can help it implement please.

jkurelek

Apr 16, 2016
I also cannot get the app to start on startup of Windows (10 x64 build 10586.218). I have tried:
1. Modifying the shortcut in the startup folder to run in compatibility mode and/or as an admin
2. Removing the shortcut and modifying the registry directly (google PIA Windows 10 automatic startup issue, I can't post links since I'm new here)

I really like the app, so I'm hoping you can solve this issue. Cheers!

NoyBoy

Apr 18, 2016
Hey @kerimka, so I was searching for a documentation on the program and I wasn't able to find anything. I have specific questions on the Params part. When specifying a path in a shortcut, I can add -launch or -incognito and such, is that how the params work? I rather not have to create a shortcut just to launch an .exe a specific way, and I believe that's how params work, but I don't know how it works. Any info would help guys.

Btw, super awesome program and app dude, I absolutely love it, makes my start menu look more awesome :)

maxaon09

Nov 16, 2012
Hi. In the new build of Windows (Build 14942), a lack of transparency. Please correct if possible. Thank you.

EdgyAsHell

Nov 15, 2016
Same here, Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (Build 14959), I'm seeing no transparency on the tiles. LOVE the app! Thanks for the hard work!

stallionjc

Sep 19, 2015
Awesome app! But not working for me :(

Wow! This app is really amazing! I love what you can do with it!

...But in my end, it is not working well... I can create the tiles and everything, but only opens the first tile I press. It doesn't want to open any more tiles (I'm keeping the Helper open all the time). I have to close the helper, and open it again. Then I can press another tile and it'll open... but only once more, it would not open a second tile.

Is there any solution for that?
Would like this app to really work for me as I have some folders and docs that I need to keep in my start menu :(

The only thing that I don't like that much, is the popup window that opens for half a second when I open a tile... but I can live with it for a while.

larsonreever

Mar 30, 2017
there needs to be a helper app running in the background. And there's a store app by which you can pin tiles to start menu. we are incorporating this into our design for website as well

kerimka

Jan 28, 2008
With the Creators Update, transparent background of the tiles gone again and I couldn't find a workaround for this issue. I'll be very pleased if anyone could help to solve this transparency issue so that I can implement it in the app.
Thanks in advance and sorry for that problem because it seems that makes everyone's start menu not so good looking :(

FluxAugur

Aug 5, 2017
Helper Crash

Steps to reproduce:
- Start helper
- Click "Auto generate all from a single image"
- Select any SVG file
- Instant crash.

I know that the file filter is only displaying jpg/png, but when manually typing a filename, the files returned should only show those supported. Alternatively, supporting SVG file format would be amazing! :)

RamaLho_88

Oct 6, 2017
This app is really awesome!
Still, I have found two aplications I can't make them work properly.

- C:\Windows\system32\dfrgui.exe

And

- C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe

Everytime I made and created them, they can't take any action to open.
Can someone help me please?
Thanks

ambc

Jan 3, 2011
Does anyone have the same problem than mine ? Everytime I start a game by tiles made of shortcuts its auto minimize. But When I made them directly from the file them run normaly.

Aido

Jul 3, 2012
I just updated to Windows 10 Pro v10.0.16299 vuild 16299, and the helper crashes immediately after running.

serosis

May 20, 2012
I've got a bug where all new tiles are corrupted when pinned.
Everything shows up fine in the Store and Helper apps but when pinned there is no image, it has a hash of some sort for the title, and it doesn't open program it was created for.

Attached is a screenshot of a corrupted tile I made for FileZilla. With a tooltip showing the hash-name thing.

Your support email is full by the way. Probably should fix that.

Problem solved itself doing a hard reboot.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Customize Windows 10 start menu with custom images (even with transparent background) with ease.

It's FREE. Although there's a pro version for donation purposes, there is no difference between trial and pro version in functionality.

You can add tiles for desktop apps, store apps, files, folders, shortcuts and some other actions like shut down etc.

Here are some screenshots of start menus made with Better StartMenu:

3gray.jpg

8full.jpg

15full.jpg

Because of Windows 10's new start menu mechanism, there needs to be a helper app running in the background. And there's a store app by which you can pin tiles to start menu.

You can find the helper app on http://www.win10controller.com/betterstart
    Store app link: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH1XTDX
    Nice app

It works great. Thank you.
    I think it would be right to make wider the 2nd section of the app and place icons in the form of a table (vertical or horizontal). Something like this:
    e2678422777b9a3caf559de8c0180341.jpg

Use one column when lots of applications are not very comfortable

I've implemented this feature and updated the main app. I think it will be available today or at most tomorrow on Windows Store. Thanks for your suggestion again.
    Sorry but only a metro (store) app is able to pin custom tiles (with custom images) to start menu on Windows 10. This is why it's a store app.
    Hey, you mean the Threshold 2 update? Is it safe to install the update without losing the better start menu capabilities? Does this program keep working with this windows 10 update?

I'm on build 10586, and the app works just as well as before sans the transparent background. AFAIK nothing else is broken.