[app]CBZ Reader

Search This thread

webgandalf

Jun 19, 2008
Hi everyone . This is my first try to make a WM application .
The CBZ files are compressed file made for reading comics .

CBZViewerMobile.jpg

This software allows you to read it from your WM 6 or 6.5 device ( I can't test it on other type on WM version ) .
The only requirement is have installed the CF 3.5 .

With your fingertip you can (scrolling from down to up ) zoom up to read better or zoom off ( scrolling from up to down ) or with the scroll from left to right go on with the page or come back ( from right to left ) .

You can download it from my website www.mmsoft.info or later from softpedia .

The software is of course freeware .

Let me know if you think of some new feature to add.

From Italy
Mauro :)

s14tam

Nov 30, 2007
Does not support CBR. I don't want to complain about free software but its not usable on my HD2. Slow on loading files. Does not turn pages very easily. I suppose its okay for a first try but not a usable program as is.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Its gotta be fast and light.
2. Multi-touch zoom would be awesome
3. Finger Scrolling
4. Full screen support
5. Support for different screen orientations.

I know. A lot to ask for! But if you added those features you would have an awesome comic reader.

So far the best one right now is comic reader mobi, although its not free but worth the money they charge.

webgandalf

Jun 19, 2008
Does it support both cbr and cbz? How does it handle double pages and oes it do landscape mode?

Not now , maybe in the future . Considering the small screen of the device I prefer to split the page when I make the cbz files .

Also would like to know if it handles CBR files as well
Not now and the problem is the rar support not easily to implement

Its gotta be fast and light.
The time need for open the comics depend from the number of page have your comics ( the device need the time to decompress it ) .
2. Multi-touch zoom would be awesome
The problem is : I have a Omnia II to debug it ( apart from the Emulator ) and I can't write a program when I can't test it .
3. Finger Scrolling
Work in progress :)
4. Full screen support

5. Support for different screen orientations.
Work in progress .

For the other progress you found on your HDII device I don't understand .
It's slow in the page turn or it's slow to capture your finger gesture ?
It seems strange , on my OmniaII it takes some time for opening a comics but the finger move and the page turn is immediate .

The only thing comes to my mind is : What is the size of your image ? I explain myself better . I also have a Ebook reader device supporting the CBZ format so I resize the image inside the comics at 1024 X 768 before I start reading . Before doing that also my Eboor reader have some problem with some image due to the excessive size .

stuntdouble

Apr 1, 2009
Finger page turning isn't working on my Touch HD. On the main XDA page it says its in the program, but you say it's a work in progress so not sure which to believe.

It's a nice start but if you want ideas on a good way to implement extra features I suggest you look at Jim Chapman's Freda ebook reader (link here), as that is a very good piece of software for reading on devices.

webgandalf

Jun 19, 2008
Can you send me a mail with the cbz ? At webgandalf.soft[at]gmail.com ?
I don't think is a problem of the software but of the file you try to read .

Another thing . Read a Ebook and read a Ecomics isn't the same thing. An Ebook is made by text so is lighter but , when you read a comics , you open a bunch of image . If the image is too big you device may not do it . I can insert a code for the image resizing but , after that , the device must also use the cpu to do that .

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
Ciao da un omonimo connazionale ;)

Happy to hear about your free software, happier to know it's by an italian fellow! I am currently using the last free version of comic reader mobi which I kept since time past, and obviously it's more advanced in the sense that it manages also CBR, and has several automations like fitto fullscreen, zoom to 100%, preloading of next image, switch to next cbz/cbr volume when reached last page, and the nicest is the automatic lens that zooms in around the text, but I reckon that's also a version which was reached after a long path of development, while yours if fresh new, so best wishes with your work :D
Will be watching this thread to keep updated with the development!

ToddeSwe

Dec 26, 2007
Alvesta
Tried this but no go at all!

Hi!

Liked the idea so i installed and downloaded two different comics, but non of them worked, got some .NET issues and now i have uninstalled it.

Pitty!

Will be back and try the next version

daburah

Apr 18, 2010
umm

i tried to open up a comic, it said i need cf 3.5. but then i tried installing it to my phone and it says i have a later one installed, i need to uninstall it first. but nothing is showing on the uninstall program list. plz help. i have an htc hd2

ephestione

Mar 23, 2008
Rome
www.ephestione.it
i tried to open up a comic, it said i need cf 3.5. but then i tried installing it to my phone and it says i have a later one installed, i need to uninstall it first. but nothing is showing on the uninstall program list. plz help. i have an htc hd2

most roms have netcf 3.7 installed, so it's obvious th netcf3.5 installer complains... it's strange that the application installer complains about netcf3.5 anyway...

webgandalf

Jun 19, 2008
Hi people .

I passed few day to try to improve the CBZ Reader software but , onestly , I'm not this good as the publisher of the software linked before so I tried to take the problem from another point of view .
What is the software ready in EVERY possibile device of the year 2010 ? What software I'm sure to work when I take my phone out of the box the first time ?
The web browser .

I added to another my software the choice to export every image of the comics into an html file .
With this you not have the need to install anything on the device . Simply take the folder with the image of your comics and convert it into an Html structure .
Every image is full screen and every image is a link to the image after .

I think this can be a good compromise from reading , scrolling , zooming , rotate etc etc. All this function are natively present in a browser for phone .

I've tried to read the result in my Omnia II device and the result is good .
This feature is ready for the download on my Comics2Reader software . As the Cbz Reader also this is under freeware license so , if you want , give it a try .
Launch the conversion , copy the folder generated into your mobile device and click on index.html file to start reading .

You can find Comics2Reader on my website www.mmsoft.info.

In the next revision will probably present the possibility to convert directly a CBZ/CBR into an html file .

Ciao
Mauro

s14tam

Nov 30, 2007
Sounds intereresting. I think you should look into maybe making a app that downloads/browses the comics directly from the scanlation sites like mangastream.com or mangafox without using an actual full browser. It can zoom in or view the page full screen. They have similar apps for andriod but not WM. I usually dont download the cbz as its much easier to just read it online.