[APP] Chicks'n'Vixens: No Donuts, [R] 30/06/11 [V] 0.10A

Search This thread

wheresmybeaver

Jul 24, 2008
This game is coming along great.

I'd say once you have a good number of levels built and the graphics tightened up, you're fully entitled to charge for your hard work! Or perhaps always have a free basic version, but have to pay for advanced features like the level editor?

Great fun anyway, thanks

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
Want to compliment you on an excellent game. It's coming along nicely. The latest updates greatly improve the gameplay. Would like to see the implementation of tapping the screen anywhere to activate the chicken's special features. Tapping directly on the chicken can be a pain.

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
This game is coming along great.

I'd say once you have a good number of levels built and the graphics tightened up, you're fully entitled to charge for your hard work! Or perhaps always have a free basic version, but have to pay for advanced features like the level editor?

Great fun anyway, thanks

I'm not sure how I'm going to make money from this, I'm really glad I released the beta but I don't want to charge people after playing it. What I might end up doing is releasing a big massive level pack of something and charging for that, but hopefully there will be at least 60 high quality 100% free levels for everyone to play as that's what I'm aiming for by version 1.0 which will be free :) I think what I'll end up doing is turning the original game into a trial with the 60 levels as well as simultaneously releasing a 'light' version containing the 60 levels, that way hopefully people won't think 'trial' means limited, I think 60 levels is plenty of fun for everyone especially for $0. Actually I'm still not too sure, 60 levels might be too much or too little for a trial, I don't want to put people off playing the game because the trial is too short but I don't want to make the trial so long and epic that people never get around to finishing it (therefore have no motivation to buy the full version).

At any rate the full version will hopefully be going for $0.99, if I can't beat Angry Birds in sheer content I can at least beat them on value for money.

Want to compliment you on an excellent game. It's coming along nicely. The latest updates greatly improve the gameplay. Would like to see the implementation of tapping the screen anywhere to activate the chicken's special features. Tapping directly on the chicken can be a pain.

I'm glad you like the latest update, I'm aiming to make future updates even better, specifically I'm looking into tweaking the way objects break and making it so that you can fire the cannon like it were a slingshot, as well as adding a tracer so you can see the rough path your chicken will take when you fire. If you have any suggestions do please throw them my way :)

Oh and you don't have to tap on the chicken to use its power, what makes you think you have to?

That's by far the best WP7
Game out there. Thank you. :)

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Hey thank you so much :) Hopefully I can make it better still, I think Angry Birds is still overall a better game and I know Rovio is going to totally squash me when they eventually release Angry Birds on WP7 :( They get Xbox Live branding and paid by Microsoft for the port.. :eek:

Last edited:

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
I'm glad you like the latest update, I'm aiming to make future updates even better, specifically I'm looking into tweaking the way objects break and making it so that you can fire the cannon like it were a slingshot, as well as adding a tracer so you can see the rough path your chicken will take when you fire. If you have any suggestions do please throw them my way :)

Oh and you don't have to tap on the chicken to use its power, what makes you think you have to?

Hey thank you so much :) Hopefully I can make it better still, I think Angry Birds is still overall a better game and I know Rovio is going to totally squash me when they eventually release Angry Birds on WP7 :( They get Xbox Live branding and paid by Microsoft for the port.. :eek:
Sorry, maybe I just wasn't doing it right. It seemed I tapped several time elsewhere on the screen and nothing happened but when I specifically tapped the chicken, it did its special feature. But I do love this game. It has so much potential and I believe...just my opinion, now...that once you have it perfected, MS might try to buy it or partner with you. [thinking of Halo] There's no doubt MS wants an Angry Birds type blockbuster game. Yours has that potential.

From what you've done, you are an extremely talented dev and I wish the best for you.

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
Sorry, maybe I just wasn't doing it right. It seemed I tapped several time elsewhere on the screen and nothing happened but when I specifically tapped the chicken, it did its special feature. But I do love this game. It has so much potential and I believe...just my opinion, now...that once you have it perfected, MS might try to buy it or partner with you. [thinking of Halo] There's no doubt MS wants an Angry Birds type blockbuster game. Yours has that potential.

From what you've done, you are an extremely talented dev and I wish the best for you.

Thank you very much for the compliment :) Though I don't think Microsoft will want to buy me out, I'm just one guy, it would be easier to have me killed and take my code :D

As for the tapping thing, hmm, I'm starting to wonder that maybe you stumbled on a bug somewhere..

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
Thank you very much for the compliment :) Though I don't think Microsoft will want to buy me out, I'm just one guy, it would be easier to have me killed and take my code :D

As for the tapping thing, hmm, I'm starting to wonder that maybe you stumbled on a bug somewhere..
LOL...gotta watch out for those maniacal types...hehe - Reminds me of a movie I saw long time ago about how MS began and then also a crime drama about a MS type where the top dog was ordering hits on garage-type devs to get their code.

dkp1977

Oct 6, 2009
Stolberg
www.opinion-control.de

I don't really think so. People would have to pay for angry birds, wouldn't they? But even if not, I think both games can coexist without any problem. I mean, I loved Angry Birds on Android. But you know what's better than one high quality games of a certain type? Two high quality games of that certain type. ;) And yours is definitely high quality. No doubt about that, mate. Excellent job. :)

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
I don't really think so. People would have to pay for angry birds, wouldn't they? But even if not, I think both games can coexist without any problem. I mean, I loved Angry Birds on Android. But you know what's better than one high quality games of a certain type? Two high quality games of that certain type. ;) And yours is definitely high quality. No doubt about that, mate. Excellent job. :)

It would be great if they could co-exist, I guess we'll see what happens...

Last edited:

yosagojimbo

Dec 16, 2008
I think they will co-exist nicely, depending on pricing as you know MS will prob charge £3.49 or more for Angry Birds going by the price differences between WP7 and iOS apps

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
I think they will co-exist nicely, depending on pricing as you know MS will prob charge £3.49 or more for Angry Birds going by the price differences between WP7 and iOS apps

I hope you're right, I'm going to be pricing this at the $1 mark and pushing more free content so hopefully that will make up for the fact it's not angry birds :D

A lot of people giving the game reviews want more levels, so I've released 0.6 now, it doesn't have eerything I wanted to put into it but..

In addition to five more levels the cannon now behaves like a slingshot (i.e. pull back to fire), if you move your finger to the right side of the cannon you dis-engage it.

If you're pinching or dragging the camera around there is no chance of activating the cannon.

The camera will go back to its last position/zoom setting after a chicken has finished being fired (and stopped moving). This only works with ch
ickens when their special power is not activated.

Level loading speeds have been dramatically increased, after an initial ~7 second wait for the first level to load the rest will load very quickly (almost instantly) until the app closes The reason for this is that content is now shared between all levels.

And here's a teaser screenshot of one of the new levels: http://imgur.com/fNYH3

I think there are about five new levels in the update, I'm sorry I couldn't make it more, I have a day job and it's 2am (I get up at 6 XD).

I will be working on more levels so by the time this gets approved I'll hopefully have v0.7 ready for submission

Release date is whenever Microsoft approves the update (hopefully sometime later this week).

So I've hopefully addressed the annoyances with the clumsiness of the cannon and now levels load much faster (after the first load anyway) so that should be good. On my Omnia 7 there are no load times, it's circle in/circle out.

7carisfast

Jun 7, 2009
PA
Jabber

I went to install this app on a LG Quantum and it does not show up. One issue might have been my battery may have died during installation(died 5 minutes after I hit install). Zune says its installed, but I can't even find it. Any ideas? I neeeeeed this app!!! Thanks.

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
I went to install this app on a LG Quantum and it does not show up. One issue might have been my battery may have died during installation(died 5 minutes after I hit install). Zune says its installed, but I can't even find it. Any ideas? I neeeeeed this app!!! Thanks.

Yeah it's probably because it shutdown half way through, not too sure what you can do about that htough. Maybe try asking in a WP7 specific help forum?

MartyLK

Apr 19, 2010
Oklahoma City
As good as your game is, I also want to recognize you for doing something most others do not do in app making: adhering to themes for the tiles.

Thank you so much for this.

digger1985

Nov 28, 2010
If you are going to keep it free indefinitely then perhaps you should open source it so that other devs and join in and improve the game?

If you alone could make something that's so close to Angry Birds, imagine what a group of devs could do. It just needs a bit more polish, but it's oh so close.

jabberworx

Dec 10, 2010
If you are going to keep it free indefinitely then perhaps you should open source it so that other devs and join in and improve the game?

If you alone could make something that's so close to Angry Birds, imagine what a group of devs could do. It just needs a bit more polish, but it's oh so close.

I'm hoping to profit from it eventually :p I don't think I'll make much money though considering the status of the game but it would be nice to get something material in return for all the work I've put into it :eek:

Reactions: MartyLK

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Name: Chicks'n'Vixens: No Donuts

video of 0.9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GskXn0ksQ

Updated to Alpha 0.10A

Changes:

Made ads smaller

Tweeked some levels

New physics gameplay elements

New chickens

Levels redesigned

all new UI

http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=ab4a09b4-5e9f-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8
    Just posting to let everyone know it's too late to get the game for free, it's priced at 99c now :-\

It was actually a mistake. Part of a new submission process is setting a price for the game, I set chicks'n'vixens to be $0.99 when I submitted v1.0 (which is coming sono hopefully :) ).

Since this was part of the update submission I thought the price would change when v1.0 was approved, but it turns out Microsoft changes the price before they approve the update.

I'm really sorry to everyone who hadn't downloaded the beta yet, I should have been more careful with the submission process.

Those of you who already have the beta won't have to pay for the current version, nor will you have to pay for v1.0 when it eventually comes out (yes that applies to all 70,000+ peeps :) ). Everyone else will unfortunately have to pay...

Just wanted to apologies before people grabbed their pitch forks :p

I promise v1.0 will be worth it, there's heaps of new gameplay mechanics, numerous bug fixes and way more levels :)

And of course v1.0 will not be the last update the game gets either.

I'm hoping to profit from it eventually :p I don't think I'll make much money though considering the status of the game but it would be nice to get something material in return for all the work I've put into it :eek:
    OMG! I just updated your game. You've done it! You've improved the gameplay to near perfection! :)

Soon as I can, a donation is coming your way my friend.
    Thank you :) But really this was just ambushing the top spot by getting a good ranking in the free section. I don' tthink the game becamse #1 because of its merits as a paid app :p

Ahh, mate. I wouldn't consider it an ambush. Just take a look at how many free apps and even games there are on the marketplace. But it's yours that made it to the top. ;) And even if it's not free anymore, what is 0.99? Especially in comparison to the pricing of most other available games? You have put a lot of effort into this game, and you still do. So why not get at least a little back from us who enjoy playing the game you made? I think it's only fair. And to be honest, I'd even pay 3 or 4 bucks for it. ;)