• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][CM12]ThemeDIY - Create CM12 themes in a minute! [ALPHA][03/24]

Search This thread

LidaFlorida

Feb 8, 2014
XKwQ7Zc.png

Hello XDA friends, today I'll present an app that will make your theming life really easy and pratical.
Theme DIY is an app to create themes (duh!) for CM12 Theme Engine but in a very friendly way. Anyone can use this app and choose the options and then the app will generate an APK file for the theme.
The app is still being tested and if you want to taste the power of theme-creating you'll need to join this community on G+ to be able to test it: https://plus.google.com/communities/108487614858895543145
The developer posted the Play Store link and a direct link if Play Store fails, so check it out!
Attention: I'm not the app developer, I just translated it to brazilian portuguese and wanted to share with you guys.
The G+ community has sections for reporting bugs, suggesting features and a cool theme creations sections so you can inspire yourself!

App updated! (March 24th):
Changelog for update v0.8:

-Removed "Material palette" panel, and replaced it with a more practical solution.
-Updated preview, show settings color instead of accent. 

uNHczK9.png
Important information:
Can I share the themes I created?
Yes you can, as long as it is for free. You are not allowed to sell themes generated with this app.
I found a bug, should I comment here?
There is a Bug Report section in the G+ page of the app. And please provide a logcat for errors!
I have a suggestion!
There is a Suggestions section in the G+ page of the app.
How to use it:
Here's a video of the app (thanks to YouTube channel AVKAppReviews):
The video was made in an 'old' version of the app, right now the app supports more features.
Detailed tutorial with images here: http://darkionsblog.com/news/how_to_use_cm12_theme_diy/2015-01-28-81
Check the attachments to see the names of the zones to be modified.
uNHczK9.png
Liked the app? Hit the thanks button and show some love to the developer in his G+ community!
Brasileiros: Está usando a versão traduzida? Faça uma doação para mim e me ajude a pagar as contas! :silly:

Attachments

• accent.png
    accent.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 25,009
  • bg.png
    bg.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 24,911
  • misc.png
    misc.png
    102 KB · Views: 24,367
  • notif.png
    notif.png
    196.4 KB · Views: 24,080
  • text_color.png
    text_color.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 22,534
  • templates.png
    templates.png
    178 KB · Views: 21,523
  • Screenshot_2015-02-06-23-03-33.png
    Screenshot_2015-02-06-23-03-33.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 15,966
Last edited by a moderator:

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
This is pretty awesome. Is this just meant for individuals to theme their own devices, or can't it be used by themers to create their own themes for the Play Store. What exactly are the limitations to this tool in this area?

spacellama

Dec 8, 2013
Coronel Fabriciano
I'll need to ask the developer, but as much as I know, you could share your theme if it's free and if you inform that you created it using this app, but using this free app and then selling the themes seems wrong, right?
And if you mean how it works, it generates an .apk, so all you need to share (not in play store) would be sending that .apk to someone.

desalesouche

Feb 6, 2012
hi sir, does it works with odexed cm12.
i had to odex my cm12 build otherwise it takes 14 mn 30 to boot (odexed cm12 =1m30 to boot)
edit: yes it works on odexed cm12 ! good job indeed!

Last edited:

*wii360*

Feb 9, 2014
Saarbrücken
Great APP thanks.

1. I found a not themed screen in display /expanded desktop.
2. Keyboard was themed in first time I use it, 2nd to 5th time no more themed.
May someone know why?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422481164354.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422481164354.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,855

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
I'll need to ask the developer, but as much as I know, you could share your theme if it's free and if you inform that you created it using this app, but using this free app and then selling the themes seems wrong, right?
And if you mean how it works, it generates an .apk, so all you need to share (not in play store) would be sending that .apk to someone.

When I first heard about this I thought it was a tool to help Themers create new CM12 themes, but sounds like its just for the everyday user to modify their device. While its a really cool tool, I would have *paid* to have this app catered to theme developers.

el_smurfo

Oct 21, 2009
When I first heard about this I thought it was a tool to help Themers create new CM12 themes, but sounds like its just for the everyday user to modify their device. While its a really cool tool, I would have *paid* to have this app catered to theme developers.

IMO, for 90% of the cases, it replaces Themers. I just tried 3 different themes, some featured on xda portal and other locations. All of them had problems with light on light or dark on dark elements, unthemed settings icons, etc. This is the first tool that has allowed me to make the simple tweaks I need to lollipop without breaking functionality...and it only took a few minutes.

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
IMO, for 90% of the cases, it replaces Themers. I just tried 3 different themes, some featured on xda portal and other locations. All of them had problems with light on light or dark on dark elements, unthemed settings icons, etc. This is the first tool that has allowed me to make the simple tweaks I need to lollipop without breaking functionality...and it only took a few minutes.

I wouldn't say it replaces themers, but I will agree that a lot of the CM12 themes have had issues. But within the last few days there have been some really good updates coming from some of those themers to fix the issues.

MJPollard

Sep 14, 2011
Wixom, Michigan
I wouldn't say it replaces themers, but I will agree that a lot of the CM12 themes have had issues. But within the last few days there have been some really good updates coming from some of those themers to fix the issues.
To be fair, it's not entirely the fault of the themers. CM12's theme engine is still in a state of flux, and there are a lot of elements within CM12 that still have to be made more "theme-friendly." I'm sure it was probably the same way when the CM theme engine was first introduced in CM11, and also when the original T-Mobile theme engine was incorporated into CM7. It's one of the reasons why I'm holding off on producing CM12 versions of my own themes until things settle down. Once that happens, I'm sure we'll see hundreds of CM12 themes that are just as breathtaking as the ones we've seen for previous CM releases.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XKwQ7Zc.png

Hello XDA friends, today I'll present an app that will make your theming life really easy and pratical.
    Theme DIY is an app to create themes (duh!) for CM12 Theme Engine but in a very friendly way. Anyone can use this app and choose the options and then the app will generate an APK file for the theme.
    The app is still being tested and if you want to taste the power of theme-creating you'll need to join this community on G+ to be able to test it: https://plus.google.com/communities/108487614858895543145
    The developer posted the Play Store link and a direct link if Play Store fails, so check it out!
    Attention: I'm not the app developer, I just translated it to brazilian portuguese and wanted to share with you guys.
    The G+ community has sections for reporting bugs, suggesting features and a cool theme creations sections so you can inspire yourself!

App updated! (March 24th):
    Changelog for update v0.8:

-Removed "Material palette" panel, and replaced it with a more practical solution.
    -Updated preview, show settings color instead of accent. 

uNHczK9.png
    Important information:
    Can I share the themes I created?
    Yes you can, as long as it is for free. You are not allowed to sell themes generated with this app.
    I found a bug, should I comment here?
    There is a Bug Report section in the G+ page of the app. And please provide a logcat for errors!
    I have a suggestion!
    There is a Suggestions section in the G+ page of the app.
    How to use it:
    Here's a video of the app (thanks to YouTube channel AVKAppReviews):
    The video was made in an 'old' version of the app, right now the app supports more features.
    Detailed tutorial with images here: http://darkionsblog.com/news/how_to_use_cm12_theme_diy/2015-01-28-81
    Check the attachments to see the names of the zones to be modified.
    uNHczK9.png
    Liked the app? Hit the thanks button and show some love to the developer in his G+ community!
    Brasileiros: Está usando a versão traduzida? Faça uma doação para mim e me ajude a pagar as contas! :silly:
    Update v. 0.6

Code:
    [ThemeDIY]
    -Optimized the app: faster launching times, and building times.Tweaked animations, and FAB is now the “exit” button for the history/options menus
    -Fixed crashing when saved themes > 7
    -Auto crop and auto resize images. No need for 50kb restriction anymore. 
    -Animate templates wheel. 
    -Reduced crashing probability. 
    -Added option to untheme system apps separately. 
    -Make sure users can’t make themes with special characters.

[Templates]
    -Settings category title is now colored with accent color, instead of text color.
    -Fixed Hangouts crashing.
    -Added “Settings icons” option to uncouple accent color from icons color.
    -Fixed keyboard bugs: background bug for translucent templates. Spacebar bug. Long-press bug
    -Themed AudioFX app
    -Added option to disable notification header from expanding, hence to prevent header image from stretching
    -Settings header bg option. Add an image as a header bg for settings app.  
    -Fixed quicksettings area bug with transparent colors.
    -QS background option
    -Updated icons. 

images may appear low-res, it is because they are compressed..
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.darkion.theme.maker&ah=ExVK7ClbkkaHoBWzb7i8By_67cM
    https://plus.google.com/communities/108487614858895543145
    Update v. 0.4

Darkion Avey said:
    I focused on updating the UI, rather than fixing templates' bugs.
    Code:
    [[ThemeDIY]
    -New UI
    -New live preview panel. Press on the icon (top-tight, near the title) to see how your theme would look like. It doesn't resemble the settings 100% but it's something. 
    -New color picker (long press on a color circle to copy HEX value)
    -Bootanimation.zip support
    -Ability to set lock screen wallpaper
    -No more restrictions between screens, if you didn't set a color, default value will be used.
    -Added more ROMs support
    -Added an option to disable the app's dynamic background 
    -App now is in beta stage

[Templates]
    Not much, other than theming the missing icons reported by users.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.darkion.theme.maker&ah=ExVK7ClbkkaHoBWzb7i8By_67cM
    Update v. 0.5

Code:
    -use theme's name as package name (yay! finally)
    -transparent templates were added (use wallpaper as background, still experimental) 
    -transparent notification area option (for all templates)
    -use an image as notification header background (looks ugly, but it was requested many times)
    -fixed crashes reported through google play
    -fixed hangouts theme
    -fixed keyboard spacebar being invisible
    -other fixes including: better navigation through screens, feedback dialogs in case of errors, decreased building time, donation not being recognized, action bar text color not being set correctly, and more. .
    https://plus.google.com/communities/108487614858895543145
    This is the transculent theme I created. I didn't theme any apps, I like them the original way. Only changed the settings menu colors and status bar. Didn't change the notification backgrounds otherwise in ambient disblay, the notification looks ugly.

Heres the Theme DIY file for anyone who would like to use it:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxzM-14pBORZSFc4cVRBNVlkSlE&usp=sharing