Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Reactions: monty62

YuriRM

Dec 17, 2015
Fake Triple cameras

I am annoyed by reviews claiming that many smartphones have fake triple back cameras and fake dual front cameras, like Elephone A5.

Is that issue a shortcoming of diagnostic tools like DevCheck and Device Info HW?

SuperD C1001 (SuperD D1) is an Eye-tracking Naked eye 3D smartphone. It has dual front cameras and one of them is dedicated to eye-tracking.

DevCheck reports a single 8MP front camera (screenshots attached).

Can you improve the detection mechanism, please?

Attachments

• SuperD_Dash.jpg
    SuperD_Dash.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
I am annoyed by reviews claiming that many smartphones have fake triple back cameras and fake dual front cameras, like Elephone A5.
Is that a shortcoming of diagnostic tools like DevCheck and Device Info HW?

It's a major shortcoming of the Android camera API. It's terrible, as the sensors are hidden behind closed libraries and what is presented publicly only gives partial information and relies on the manufacturer to input the specs.

Reactions: YuriRM

YuriRM

Dec 17, 2015
Warning on the limitations of diagnostic apps

It's a major shortcoming of the Android camera API. It's terrible, as the sensors are hidden behind closed libraries and what is presented publicly only gives partial information and relies on the manufacturer to input the specs.
Then all developers should include a warning on the limitations of their apps regarding devices with multiple front and rear cameras. Youtube reviewers are hurting sales and scaring off prospective buyers of modern phones because they gauge the authenticity of multiple cameras using your diagnostic tools.

Last edited:

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
Then all developers should include a warning on the limitations of their apps regarding devices with multiple front and rear cameras. Youtube reviewers are hurting sales and scaring off prospective buyers of modern phones because they gauge the authenticity of multiple cameras using your diagnostic tools.

Wow, that's pure laziness. They can easily get camera specs from the manufacturer. If I wasn't just one guy making an app that doesn't generate revenue, I would create a database of camera specs and report from that. But with new phones released every week, the effort is way too much for me.

RedArmando

Aug 15, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Revoke the camera permission. The app queries the camera to get info, and it pops up. That pop up camera has to be the dumbest thing ever invented.
That did it. I lost info on the camera tab but that's not really necessary to have all the time. It is kind of silly but I hardly ever use the front camera anyway. Do you plan on purchasing one?

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
@flar2
Just a quick question, not completely related to this app.
How/where do you query the Security patch date ?

Reason for question:
Using Magisk and the MagiskHide Props Config module.

When setting custom props, in this case build security date.
Depending on when in the boot sequence the date is modified.

Early, DevCheck shows the modified date set by magisk.
Late, DevCheck shows the true date.
System-> About (Android security patch level) is affected the same way.

Example from Poco F1, date set late.

getprop ro.build.version.security_patch
2019-05-01
DevCheck shows Security patch as July 5, 2019
The true rom security patch date.

Cheers.

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
@flar2
Just a quick question, not completely related to this app.
How/where do you query the Security patch date ?

Reason for question:
Using Magisk and the MagiskHide Props Config module.

When setting custom props, in this case build security date.
Depending on when in the boot sequence the date is modified.

Early, DevCheck shows the modified date set by magisk.
Late, DevCheck shows the true date.
System-> About (Android security patch level) is affected the same way.

Example from Poco F1, date set late.

getprop ro.build.version.security_patch
2019-05-01
DevCheck shows Security patch as July 5, 2019
The true rom security patch date.

Cheers.

I read it from the Android API, it's something like Build.VERSION.SECURITY_PATCH_LEVEL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DevCheck is a free application that shows information about your device, hardware and operating system. It is the most comprehensive system information app available.

Once you become a beta tester, it can take a little while for the update to show on Google Play. Usually it shows up in a few minutes (reboot or refresh Google Play Store app might speed it up).

• Dashboard: monitor CPU frequencies, temperatures, memory usage, battery stats, deep sleep and uptime
    • System: get all the info about your device name, brand, manufacturer, environment, Android version and kernel
    • Hardware: displays every known detail about your SOC, CPU, GPU, Memory and storage, including chip names and manufacturers
    • Battery: complete info on your battery status, temperature, level, technology, health, voltage, current and capacity (if available)
    • Network: shows info about your WiFi and mobile/cellular connections, including IP addresses (ipv4 and ipv6), connection info, operator, phone number, phone and network type
    • Sensors: a list of all sensors on the device, including type, manufacturer, power and resolution

PRO VERSION is available through in-app purchase

The pro version includes movable, always-on-top floating monitors. This allows you to monitor CPU frequencies, temperatures, GPU frequency and system load in real time while using other apps. The size, transparency and position of the overlay windows is completely adjustable. On Lollipop and above, the floating monitors can be docked to the statusbar,

The pro version also allows you to switch between light and dark Material Design themes and choose from nine different color schemes (amber, blue, slate grey, aqua, red, green, orange, pink and indigo)

Download:
    DevCheck on Google Play

XDA:DevDB Information
    DevCheck, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    flar2

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.19
    Stable Release Date: 2015-11-28

Created 2015-08-03
    Last Updated 2017-02-21
    Subscribed to this thread... This might prove a really useful app!
    Do you plan on including also stats about cpu states? Would be useful to have an all in one toolbox for all such stats... But maybe it's not part of this app philosophy [emoji1]

Nexus 6 64gb - CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) @520 dpi
    LG G watch R

You mean like CPU Spy or my CPU Times app? I 'm planning to make some kind of linkage between them, so you could push a button and open CPU Times (or offer to install it if you don't have it).

I don't want to add CPU states directly in this app because it would require adding a boot reciever and a screen on/off listener. These aren't bad things by any means, but I'm trying to keep this app really simple. Basically I don't want to have any types of services or listeners in this app. And no root requirement either.
    Beta testing has started for a huge update to DevCheck, which I'm going to call DeviceCheck from now on. I've practically rewritten the entire app because I want it to be the best system information app on Android, and I think it is. There are still a few things left for me to do, including one new feature for the Pro version, but I want to start testing this on as many devices as possible.

Beta signup is here:
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/flar2.devcheck

Once you become a beta tester, it can take a little while for the update to show on Google Play. Usually it shows up in a few minutes (reboot or refresh Google Play Store app might speed it up).

Changes in the beta version:
    -new icon
    -many UI improvements
    -new Camera tab, which will show tons of advanced information if available (things like sensor size, aperture, pixel size, face detection and RAW capability)
    -Advanced temperature detection algorithm
    -Customize name and sensor for temperatures shown on the Dashboard
    -integrate CPU times
    -Click through option for Floating Monitors
    -Language chooser
    -show memory usage of services and running apps
    -Floating Monitors moved into separate process
    -support for dozens of new chips, including Snapdragon S820 and Helio X20
    -improve support for Intel and MediaTek based devices
    -dual sim support
    -show BusyBox status and path
    -show Android security patch level
    -improved hardware detection
    -find public IP address
    -Dashboard support for 10-core devices
    -fix problems with Asus Zenfone 2
    -performance improvements
    -many bugfixes!
    Sounds fair, thank you for your explanation! :) I notice your app about cpu states, really interesting and well done too! I like the aesthetics too!

Nexus 6 64gb - CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) @520 dpi
    LG G watch R

Thanks. I try to use Material Design standards but I like to add a little something extra. All my apps do neat things with the top toolbar.
    Another release coming soon, with support for more hardware a few more bits of information and some minor fixes and improvements. For the pro version, there will be movable, always-on-top floating windows with adjustable size and opacity for monitoring cpu frequencies, temperatures, gpu frequency and load. I'm already finding this to be a useful feature for development.

Translation will begin soon.