• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

App Developers Listen Up - Put your config and junk data in sdcard/apps!

Clever_Name_Here

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
Hi XDA!

I realise that I'm new here, so I may not get listened to, but I've been using smartphones for a while and this has always been an annoyance for me.

Currently, my internal storage (internal sd as some like to call it), is full of config, backup and other files placed there by app developers. I have a folder called AussieWeatherRadar, one called Cut the Rope, and one called rammanager, just to name a few.

As I have a bit of OCD, I like to keep my internal memory looking tidy, but how is this possible with so many folders, none of which conform to any particular standards?

I am suggesting the following: App developers should use the /apps/ folder, or a similar folder on the sd card to store their data. This way, the user's SD card does not look cluttered, but the data is all still there.

So please, app developers, here my plea! Please use the /app/ directory!

Do you have any comments or suggestions on this? Please comment!

Thanks,
John

TL;DR: App developers should use the sdcard/app/ folder for their junk/config/backup files so that sdcard/ looks tidy.

petsasj

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 22, 2010
Athens
Developers *HAVE* a default location to place their data if they need to store in external storage. Google dictates for it to be in /sdcard/Android/data

I have made an app that creates in terms an init.d script that auto removes these folders on boot, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Developers wanting to promote their apps create folders with, honestly nothing in them, to show off.

I have created a Google Docs document that I will share tomorrow with the apps I have installed on my phone that create an sdcard folder. Perhaps you could help improve that list.

One afternoon in last December I had emailed all those app developers about this. Do you know how many answers I received to about 10 emails? None..

We should all organize a massive email sendout to them again. After all its their own fault for not sticking to Android guidelines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Lesicnik1

Clever_Name_Here

Mar 24, 2012
Sydney
Developers *HAVE* a default location to place their data if they need to store in external storage. Google dictates for it to be in /sdcard/Android/data

I have made an app that creates in terms an init.d script that auto removes these folders on boot, but that doesn't solve the problem.

Developers wanting to promote their apps create folders with, honestly nothing in them, to show off.

I have created a Google Docs document that I will share tomorrow with the apps I have installed on my phone that create an sdcard folder. Perhaps you could help improve that list.

One afternoon in last December I had emailed all those app developers about this. Do you know how many answers I received to about 10 emails? None..

We should all organize a massive email sendout to them again. After all its their own fault for not sticking to Android guidelines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Well put mate!