• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP] Download Buddy New Download App on the Market

Search This thread

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
It appears the XDA downloads are failing because it is not recognizing user logins when fetching the file. I am working to resolve the issue.

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
I'm having issues downloading from xda, lol. Link here to webpage with .txt file:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9430271#

App has been updated. Now include a prompted Login page for sites such as this and others that require being logged in to download a file. Login cookies will be saved so as not to need to log in every time. The will be valid until they expire or until you clear the cookies under settings. If there is an issue downloading files after logging in simply clear the cookies and retry.

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
Dolphin Browser Info.

It has come to my attention that Support for Dolphin Browser is limited to direct download links. What this means is basically any download that isn't a download began using PHP.

An example of a direct download is a file from this website:
http://mirror.teamdouche.net/?device=passion

An example of a PHP based download is a file from this forum.

This is not an issue I will be able to resolve with any type of coding, but I have emailed the development team for Dolphin to see if they would be willing to work with me to alter their code in this area.

I appreciate everyones patience.

dboss007

Apr 6, 2010
A couple of things... When I attempt to change the download location, I'm getting an error that I don't have a supported file browser. Would you be able to add support for using Root Explorer?

Also, I had a problem downloading .doc files the other day until I installed QuickOffice. This app shouldn't require an associated app to run the file to be installed, correct? Just wanted to verify that.

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
A couple of things... When I attempt to change the download location, I'm getting an error that I don't have a supported file browser. Would you be able to add support for using Root Explorer?

Also, I had a problem downloading .doc files the other day until I installed QuickOffice. This app shouldn't require an associated app to run the file to be installed, correct? Just wanted to verify that.

Heya Dboss, as far as needing quickoffice. Should shouldn't need any app installed to download a file type but it will require an app if you want to use the preview button. As far as root explorer goes that explorer is very limited with external support I cannot do anything to add support because that app was never designed to support file picking. Some supported ones I know are open intents, blackmoonit, any of the ones dropbox supports. Astro doesn't support directory picking but it does support file picking so I coded it so when you choose a file using astro it will return the files parent directory.
If you have any issues with links like the doc file you stated if you can provide a link for testing it would be appreciated.

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
Updated***

Added Share interceptor, which allows you to long press a link and sent it to download buddy using the share/send option for 3rd part web browsers that are not 100% compatible.

evensteven

Aug 9, 2010
Hi,

first of all, nice work!

I've discovered two small issues. First one is that Download Buddy doesn't seem to catch downloads from google docs. To test this, try to download a kernel from here: http://touristinparadise.blogspot.com/2010/11/samsung-galaxy-s-download-speedmod.html

The second issue is related to 3rd party file managers. As the need to have a file in directory with Astro is quite annoying, I tried AndExplorer. The dialog opens fine. But when I decide to press OK to choose the appropriate directory, Download Buddy crashes and throws a FC.

And last but not least my two cents on the GUI. I would like to see a dark theme in the future, maybe a Eclair-like darkgray like many widgets have. It's just the current white style only fits if you use an AOSP ROM or theme. Also a less aggressive "Download Assist" header would make it fit better into the whole Android UI. I somehow don't like when services like this, try to stand out instead of just being integrated nicely.

Also a minor issue with the GUI is, that the buttons aren't aligned perfectly in my opinion. The preview button should be in line with the save and decline ones and I think it would look better if you would center the "pick folder" one besides the field which contains the actual path instead of having it aligned to the top.

Some things might just be personal preference. ;)

Oh, are you interested in translations? I would gladly translate the strings to german, if you send me a pm with all strings needed.

Kind regards

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
Hi,

first of all, nice work!

I've discovered two small issues. First one is that Download Buddy doesn't seem to catch downloads from google docs. To test this, try to download a kernel from here: http://touristinparadise.blogspot.com/2010/11/samsung-galaxy-s-download-speedmod.html

The second issue is related to 3rd party file managers. As the need to have a file in directory with Astro is quite annoying, I tried AndExplorer. The dialog opens fine. But when I decide to press OK to choose the appropriate directory, Download Buddy crashes and throws a FC.

And last but not least my two cents on the GUI. I would like to see a dark theme in the future, maybe a Eclair-like darkgray like many widgets have. It's just the current white style only fits if you use an AOSP ROM or theme. Also a less aggressive "Download Assist" header would make it fit better into the whole Android UI. I somehow don't like when services like this, try to stand out instead of just being integrated nicely.

Also a minor issue with the GUI is, that the buttons aren't aligned perfectly in my opinion. The preview button should be in line with the save and decline ones and I think it would look better if you would center the "pick folder" one besides the field which contains the actual path instead of having it aligned to the top.

Some things might just be personal preference. ;)

Oh, are you interested in translations? I would gladly translate the strings to german, if you send me a pm with all strings needed.

Kind regards

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.

As far as your comments go...

I was not aware of the Google Docs issue and appreciate you bringing it to my attention, I will work on it to get support as soon as possible.

As for as Astro goes, I apologize but there is nothing I can do to resolve that issue. I put picking a file as a work around. The developer never programmed his file manager to Pick Directories. I have contacted him before about adding support for picking directories and have yet to receive a responce. The best bet would be to send a request yourself, the more they get the better chance they may integrate it.

I will look into the FC with AndExplorer, I have not used that browser for a long time I am sure it is fixable though.

To your point on the Dark Theme, I will work on adding a preference For Light, , Mid and Dark.

As far as the Download Assist header goes if you could be more specific about what you mean to it being aggressive. What do you consider the header? on the GUI or on the activity chooser list.

For the pick directory button it should be aligned, if you can send me a screenshot, it may just not look correct on your phone and I would be able to see what is wrong to resolve the issue.

I would appreciate any Translations, please email me Xapps(dot)Support(at)gmail(dot)com

pentace

Oct 25, 2006
I tried AndExplorer. The dialog opens fine. But when I decide to press OK to choose the appropriate directory, Download Buddy crashes and throws a FC.

From what It seems with AndExplorer you need to LongClick the folder so that a check mark is placed and then hit ok. They never coded out if the user doesn't select a file. Ill try to code around it so it wont FC but it will still not allow a file to be picked unless you long press it first

stevensdrs

Apr 7, 2011
Thanks

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for this app. It downloads way faster than Opera Mini. Took me a while to figure where the download status bar was and how some subscriptions in Google Reader require finding a link on the actual web page.
Question: How will I know of any upgrades?

stevensdrs

Apr 7, 2011
Have hit a problem. For some strange reason, when the pop-up window appears to allow selection of DB, it has two entries. I have been unable to clear one of them. So far I have tried
Re-starting phone
Uninstall/re-install DB
Clear cache/data.

No go. Any ideas please

Froyo 2.2.1