• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App] Edge Lighting fix for all Apps (ACTUAL Edge Lighting)

Search This thread

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Get actual Samsung Edge Lighting Notifications with any app while your screen is off!

Since we all know Samsung only did half the job with this feature, this app will enable you to trigger Edge Lighting (the real one !) when your screen is off. It works with any app by reading the app notification creating a new temporary notification that triggers edge lighting (you won't notice it in your notification list).

You can set custom color filters for your apps, based on their names.

Features:
  • Real Samsung Edge Lighting
  • Extremely minimal battery drain
  • No fake AOD Screen
  • Works with ANY app (including Messenger!)

Initial setup is a bit tedious, but that's mostly Samsung's fault.

Any suggestion to improve the app is -of course- welcome!

Download link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.zunder.edgelightingfixforallappsv2

Last edited:

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Patch notes:

Users using a version priori to 1.2 need to install a new version of the app from the market (link updated in the first post)!

v1.24
Fixed an issue that caused the app to crash for some users.

v1.23
Added a custom icon feature for each app (Premium feature)

v1.22
Added a switch to enable/disable display of system apps in the list

v1.21
Fixed a switch display bug when using the search feature.

v1.2
Just to explain: I had to create a new app on Play store because, for whatever reason, the Play Console won't let me update the old one.
- New super sexy interface
- Filter search
- In-app support purchase to remove ads

v1.07
Added support for Do not Disturb mode. You can still bypass it in the notification parameters on my app, but there is no way so far I can make it work on a per application basis.

v1.06
Taping an app icon now now copies its name to the clipboard for faster filters setup.

v1.05
Added a detailed help screen

v1.04
Finally added an icon for the app

v1.03
Fixed the issue about the switches resetting when you scroll

Last edited:

luculuc

Sep 14, 2010
So far so good, for the first time I got the notification for Gmail while the screen was off. Great job, I will be testing it thoroughly.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Edit: I found where to do that. Perfect! Thanks Nope, tried to find how to do that from the Edge lighting configuration panel but didn't find. Any clue?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When you choose your edge notification style, you should be able to pick a color. Set it as custom and add filters from notification titles (which are the source apps names the way they are displayed in my app)

Last edited:

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Where do you choose your edge notification style?

-> Open Settings
--> Display
---> Edge Screen
----> Edge Lighting
-----> Edge Lighting Style
------> Pick your style then Color
-------> Custom Color
Here there will be an option "By text": Enter the name of the source app as displayed in my app and pick a color.

Thanks guys for reporting this issue, I'll add some kind of help in the next release and the PlayStore app description tomorrow (3am there, I'm just barely stayin awake cause I wanna see what you guys have to say about my app).

Last edited:
Reactions: vibrantliker

Cryte-k

Oct 24, 2017
Hello, thanks for the application, now I want to try ... will the notification light remain on until I open it? Can you add an on and off time? similar to a led notification? Thank you

vibrantliker

-> Open Settings
--> Display
---> Edge Screen
----> Edge Lighting
-----> Edge Lighting Style
------> Pick your style then Color
-------> Custom Color
Here there will be an option "By text": Enter the name of the source app as displayed in my app and pick a color.

Thanks guys for reporting this issue, I'll add some kind of help in the next release and the PlayStore app description tomorrow (3am there, I'm just barely stayin awake cause I wanna see what you guys have to say about my app).

Before I set up like above, notifications were waking up my screen. How would I go back to that option?

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Hello, thanks for the application, now I want to try ... will the notification light remain on until I open it? Can you add an on and off time? similar to a led notification? Thank you

For now, no I just implemented a basic Samsung Edge Lighting notification, so you got what they designed.

I will see how I can make the notfication repeat at a fixed interval set by the user. I'm just afraid it will be extremely battery hungry.

Reactions: rmn.br

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Before I set up like above, notifications were waking up my screen. How would I go back to that option?

With my app, notifications shouldn't wake your screen up but give you an edge light.

When you get in the menu for custom color, you have to allow my app ("Edge Lighting for all Apps") to send Edge Lighting notifications.

Edit: do you understand that Edge Lighting will prevent notifications from turning the screen on but instead display some kind of edge light while keeping your screen off?

Last edited:

Zunderstruck

May 29, 2019
Works good so far, however, there is no app icon on the notification (generic android icon on gmail), also there is a ": nul" append at the end of text.
Device : S10+ (G975F/DS)

Yeah, all of this is tomorrow's work! :D
Yesterday: learn Android environment and set the notifications
Today: learn how to get and make list of apps and how to set preferences
Tomorrow: make it look good!

Im not seeing the ":nul" however, where exactly is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gian1901 and rmn.br

Cryte-k

Oct 24, 2017
For now, no I just implemented a basic Samsung Edge Lighting notification, so you got what they designed.

I will see how I can make the notfication repeat at a fixed interval set by the user. I'm just afraid it will be extremely battery hungry.

OK thanks. It would be interesting to add that option. Does the goodlock edge light work? So is the LED only activated around the camera?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get actual Samsung Edge Lighting Notifications with any app while your screen is off!

Since we all know Samsung only did half the job with this feature, this app will enable you to trigger Edge Lighting (the real one !) when your screen is off. It works with any app by reading the app notification creating a new temporary notification that triggers edge lighting (you won't notice it in your notification list).

You can set custom color filters for your apps, based on their names.

Features:
    • Real Samsung Edge Lighting
    • Extremely minimal battery drain
    • No fake AOD Screen
    • Works with ANY app (including Messenger!)

Initial setup is a bit tedious, but that's mostly Samsung's fault.

Any suggestion to improve the app is -of course- welcome!

Download link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.zunder.edgelightingfixforallappsv2
    Patch notes:

Users using a version priori to 1.2 need to install a new version of the app from the market (link updated in the first post)!

v1.24
    Fixed an issue that caused the app to crash for some users.

v1.23
    Added a custom icon feature for each app (Premium feature)

v1.22
    Added a switch to enable/disable display of system apps in the list

v1.21
    Fixed a switch display bug when using the search feature.

v1.2
    Just to explain: I had to create a new app on Play store because, for whatever reason, the Play Console won't let me update the old one.
    - New super sexy interface
    - Filter search
    - In-app support purchase to remove ads

v1.07
    Added support for Do not Disturb mode. You can still bypass it in the notification parameters on my app, but there is no way so far I can make it work on a per application basis.

v1.06
    Taping an app icon now now copies its name to the clipboard for faster filters setup.

v1.05
    Added a detailed help screen

v1.04
    Finally added an icon for the app

v1.03
    Fixed the issue about the switches resetting when you scroll
    Cool work going on here, its nice to see such development in progress on XDA.
    Especially like you said, you are a beginning developer.
    Keep up the great work! :good:

Regarding the use of the icons like whatsapp and facebook and such, not entirely sure this is under IP trademarks.
    I think they are "common" used in lots of apps, like the "contact us on x for support" along coming with the specific icons of said services.
    So personally i would not worry to much about those.
    I for instance used them in a lot of my work/themes and half of the themers/devs on xda do the same.

Anyway, up to you but we on XDA will not make a problem about it unless they file a C&D or something hahaha :cool:

Again, keep up the good work...for what its worth i upgraded to pro ;)
    I doubt it, but up to you.
    There's a gazillion of icon packs in the playstore that have all the icons of major companies like Whatsapp, Facebook, Telegram etc etc.
    To my knowledge those never caused any trouble.

If you don't want to extract them from dedicated apps, just Google them :)

Just spent all morning troubleshooting crash issues that occured to ~1% of users, I'll call it a day and see how I'll improve the icons features tomorrow :D
    Please do something with the list of applications because is difficult to navigate through all apps and system apps. I think it is a good ideea to display the apps like the system do: only if you want you can display system apps, like the phone's menu do.
    I've noticed even if I select an app and after that I search that app on list it appears unchecked. But if I scroll the list after that I find that it is checked...

Overall, app is great and I supported it!

Hi, the uncked app using the search feature was a variable name mistake. It's been fixed as soon as I became aware of it, so if you head to the play store you should see an update is available (1.21).

I'll try and work on the system apps (soooo many requested features I have to work on lol). It's easy to see if an app is system, so it should be easily doable.
    [Edit] New version (1.22) with system app filter is uploaded, just wait for it to be available on play store.

And thanks for the support!