[APP] Edge Sense Plus ◦ Customize Active Edge on your Pixel4 XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
apktool d -b -f Freetime.apk xda

What is Edge Sense Plus?

Edge Sense Plus was initially just meant for the HTC U series. It let's you customize the squeeze action and adds some more squeeze gestures and features.
But with the Pixel2 and Pixel3 also coming with a squeezable frame I found a way to make it compatible too.
Since google locked active edge down to just only be able to start Assistant it will require a device rooted with magisk

Requirements

• it works both on rooted and unrooted devices, the unrooted version is a bit limited on features though and requires you to make Edge Sense Plus the Default assistant
  • Install the Active Edge System Mod Magisk Module from the MagiskManager Repo and the EdgeSensePlus from the playstore and you are ready to go!

Telegram Group

Join Telegram Edge Sense Plus Group

How does it work

To make it working on the Pixel3 I had to modify the SystemUIGoogle.apk that runs the ElmyraService (Service that processes the squeeze gestures).
I intercept the events and pass them to the EdgeSensePlus Application that starts the appropriate action then that you selected.
Some more adjustments were made, so the squeezing also works when you are in immersive mode, camera or when Google Assistant is deactivated/uninstalled.

With Android 10 it works now also on unrooted devices but it requires you to make Edge Sense Plus the Default assistant

Last edited:

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
What can it do?

Custom actions:

Currently you can choose from over different actions
  • Quickly Start camera - Also when screen is off and locked
  • Per App Action - Execute different squeeze actions depending in what app you are!
  • Sidebar
  • Gesture Panel - Draw custom gestures to start different actions
  • Custom App
  • Shortcuts - e.g. to make direct calls, start tasker tasks and more!
  • Scroll up/down
  • Flashlight
  • Recent Apps
  • Toggle Autorotation
  • Autobrightness (6 states: Auto, Min, Low, Mid, High, Max)
  • Split Screen
  • Expand/Collapse Statusbar
  • Toggle NFC
  • Toggle Display on/off

• Toggle Autorotation
  • Toggle DND
  • Toggle Vibration
  • Toggle Bluetooth
  • Toggle WiFi
  • Music Play/Pause
  • Previous Track
  • Next Track
  • Toggle Keep awake
  • Google Assistent
  • Lock Screen
  • Back
  • Home
  • Toggle Sync
  • Sync all accounts
  • Previous App
  • Take Screenshot
  • Clear all notifications
  • GPS
  • Answer/End call
  • Immersive Mode
  • Shell command

Per app actions:

With the per app action, you can define different squeeze actions per app. So the chosen action will be executed dependent in what app you are currently are.

Double Squeeze: (Premium)

If you often accidentally trigger a short squeeze, that won't happen anymore if you map your desired action to the double squeeze gesture.
You can define a double squeeze interval, to ensure you are quick enough to trigger it every time.

Long Squeeze:

Missed a long squeeze action on your Pixel? Edge Sense Plus has it!

G-Sensor usage: (Premium)

If enabled, will be able to execute different actions depending on the current position of your device, whether it is flat or upright in your hand.
That way you can have six different squeeze gestures: short, long, doublepress in flat or upright device position.

Media control:

The media control will override your set squeeze actions while media is playing so you can control your media.
That includes play/pause, increase/decrease volume and skip to next and previous track.

Squeeze sounds:

Ever thought it would be funny if a squeeze of your Pixel 3 XL would make a sound, if it is a *click*, *oink* , *fart* or whatever you think of?
You can use any .mp3 file to make that happen!

Sidebar:

The Sidebar has 4 different panels, Applications, Shortcuts, Recent Apps (Premium), Quicksettings (Premium).
Panel colors are customizable

Reactions: c1-p8

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
Instructions

Unrooted Version:

Install Edge Sense Plus from the playstore and follow the in app instructions

Rooted Version:

Root with Magisk is required since the magisk module is mandatory!
It is recommended to have a working TWRP backup in case something goes wrong. Check the FAQ for help too.
Like always: Flash on your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damaga to your device

1. Flash the Magisk Module in Magisk Manager
  2. Install Edge Sense Plus
  3. Enjoy.

Downloads

Now also available via the MagiskManager Repo:

I recommend to install and update the Magisk Module directly via the MagiskManager repository directly in the MagiskManager app.
All releases will be also available on the GitHub repository

Edge Sense Plus:

Last edited:

ilal2ielli

Oct 31, 2011
Hello @j to the 4n

Was going to look for your Telegram thread, but then saw you post this here. Basically here's my post from Tulsadiver's thread with his modifications including your Active Edge module support:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...sk-module-mod-installer-t3992635/post80752815

tldr of it is, when the Active Edge module is added, the phone seems to either have lag or lockups necessitating a complete reboot of the phone. Sometimes this doesn't happen for a while or sometimes is as soon as the phone boots.

Any ideas?

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
Hello @j to the 4n

Was going to look for your Telegram thread, but then saw you post this here. Basically here's my post from Tulsadiver's thread with his modifications including your Active Edge module support:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pi...sk-module-mod-installer-t3992635/post80752815

tldr of it is, when the Active Edge module is added, the phone seems to either have lag or lockups necessitating a complete reboot of the phone. Sometimes this doesn't happen for a while or sometimes is as soon as the phone boots.

Any ideas?
Mhh, no clue tbh. It worked fine for years on the Pixel2/Pixel 3. The Pixel 4 Version is not any different.
Can you maybe pull a logcat when it happens again?

Or telegram is here: https://t.me/edgesenseplus

calbruc

Mar 23, 2011
Just installed this on my P4XL.

Couple things -- I have a long press set to trigger Assistant, and it seems to launch the old Assistant, the white full screen one. Any way to launch the new Assistant at the bottom of the display?

Also, I'm rooted with Magisk, but when I try to toggle the root option on the app, it says the "device seems not to be rooted.'

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
Just installed this on my P4XL.

Couple things -- I have a long press set to trigger Assistant, and it seems to launch the old Assistant, the white full screen one. Any way to launch the new Assistant at the bottom of the display?

Also, I'm rooted with Magisk, but when I try to toggle the root option on the app, it says the "device seems not to be rooted.'
The original assistant can be just called when the root option is enabled.
DId you by chance denied root access once? Check in Magisk Manager->SuperUser

Reactions: calbruc

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
I cannot seem to enable the module on my P4XL. It's installed, but if I enable, reboot, it's disabled again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It's the bootloop protection of my module.
When an Security patch gets released I need to make the module compatible first.
Takes usually 24h when I have all files. Give me another hour and it will be done.
Then just reinstall the module.

dmarden

Oct 30, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Oh that's my bad. I saw P4XL in the change notes and since I just got the device today, I didn't even think to consider the November update.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
Has anyone been successful with setting it to take a picture once the camera is open?
ensure that you have either "User Usage" Access permissions given or have enabled the root toggle.
If it still doesnt work, send me a logcat please.
Previous users that had issues had mutliple camers installed or somehow tasker was set as default for the camera action.

srimay

Dec 10, 2010
ensure that you have either "User Usage" Access permissions given or have enabled the root toggle.
If it still doesnt work, send me a logcat please.
Previous users that had issues had mutliple camers installed or somehow tasker was set as default for the camera action.
I sent a logcat thru the email on your app

jamiejames

May 14, 2015
Are you going to be doing anything with the motion sence? I was hoping you could make another useless feature useful. Just curious.

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
I've noticed that when I map squeeze (single) to pull down the status bar or expand/retract it doesn't work the first time and I receive a toast that ES has been granted SU and then it works after that, but occasionally without a reboot it will stop working. Squeeze always pulls up the new assistant but doesn't consistently execute the action mapped to single squeeze for me. Sometimes it will expand the status bar but also the assistant so I can't interact with the notification shade until assistant goes away. All of this happens with assistant disabled, so not sure what else I can try.

j to the 4n

Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2012
I've noticed that when I map squeeze (single) to pull down the status bar or expand/retract it doesn't work the first time and I receive a toast that ES has been granted SU and then it works after that, but occasionally without a reboot it will stop working. Squeeze always pulls up the new assistant but doesn't consistently execute the action mapped to single squeeze for me. Sometimes it will expand the status bar but also the assistant so I can't interact with the notification shade until assistant goes away. All of this happens with assistant disabled, so not sure what else I can try.
About the issue that the expand collapse action does not work at the first time sometimes:

There is no way to check, if the status bar is expanded or not. I can only save the state if the squeeze executed the expand command, so that the next squeeze will execute a collapse action.
If you would collapse the statusbar manually after the first squeeze which expanded the statusbar, the 2nd squeeze would fail too, because it would execute the collapse command, altough you already manually collapsed it before.

Expanding and collapsing the statusbar does not need root permissions, so no idea why an SU popup appears.

About your second issue I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.
You mean that sometimes the mapped action does not get executed, but instead the stock action with GA?
That would be a weird behavior, because once the magisk module is mounted, that can't happen. Or are you non rooted?

Status
Not open for further replies.