[APP] EdgeBlock: Prevent accidental touches on screen edges

Search This thread

flar2

Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
elementalx.org
EdgeBlock prevents accidental touches along screen edges when you are holding your phone. This is especially useful on the latest phones with curved screen edges and very thin bezels.

I had been having a terrible time watching movies on my OnePlus 7 Pro, my fingers kept accidentally touching the edge of the screen, which caused problems like the video skipping ahead or bring up the cast dialog. another big problem was with the Camera, I kept accidentally changing focus and even closing the app. So I looked on the Play Store and found a few apps that do this, but none of them were satisfactory, so I made my own app.

The big difference between EdgeBlock and the others is you can specify different settings for portrait, landscape and fullscreen mode. Another important improvement in EdgeBlock is that it properly supports gesture modes and notches. The blocked area will always be at the screen edge.

Another huge advantage with EdgeBlock is that it does not require Accessibility Services or any other intrusive permissions. The only permission required is Draw/Display over other apps. As with all my apps, it is ad-free and does not harvest your data.

I have been using this since last summer, but only recently had the time to polish it an release on the Play Store. During that time I've optimized the app for all use cases.

Per app mode - Not needed!
I know one of the first questions I will get is about per app mode. I did create a per-app mode originally, but found it is not needed! Once you enable EdgeBlock there is no need to change the settings for different apps, it just works. You also have a lot of control using the settings for portrait, landscape and fullscreen. Some users my disable EdgeBlock in portrait and landscape, but enable EdgeBlock in fullscreen mode.

The biggest problem with a per-app mode is that it requires either the App Usage permission or an Accessibility Service. The app usage permission works, but must constantly poll for the foreground app. This is an unnecessary waste of resources and battery life. The Accessibility method would work better, but requires an Accessibility service. I do not think an Accessibility service is warranted, since the app functions perfectly without it and I want to keep the app as light as possible.

Download EdgeBlock on the Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.edgeblock

Attachments

• screenshot2.png
    screenshot2.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 87
  • screenshot4.png
    screenshot4.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 87
  • screenshot3.png
    screenshot3.png
    189.3 KB · Views: 87

Buckeyesha

Dec 4, 2013
This is exactly what I'm looking for but it doesn't really work. If you are touching the blocked area while in app, you are unable to touch anything else within the same app. For example if you open Chrome and then place your finger on the edge blocker and with your other hand try to scroll up and down it won't let you scroll because you're touching something else on the screen. As soon as you stop touching the edge blocker you're able to scroll again.

Unless Im doing something wrong or not understanding how this app is intended to be used.

So if I'm playing a game and any part of either one of my hands is touching along the edge other movements within the game get confused because I'm touching the edge as well as trying to make a different move within the game itself.

Buckeyesha

Dec 4, 2013
This is exactly what I'm looking for but it doesn't really work. If you are touching the blocked area while in app, you are unable to touch anything else within the same app. For example if you open Chrome and then place your finger on the edge blocker and with your other hand try to scroll up and down it won't let you scroll because you're touching something else on the screen. As soon as you stop touching the edge blocker you're able to scroll again.

Unless Im doing something wrong or not understanding how this app is intended to be used.

So if I'm playing a game and any part of either one of my hands is touching along the edge other movements within the game get confused because I'm touching the edge as well as trying to make a different move within the game itself.
After a little further testing three of the edges work exactly how I need them to work. But one edge does not. The edge at the top of the phone regardless of orientation does not allow you to touch it and touch something else within the same app. So this is The edge that would have the front facing camera. Basically the edge that would be the top of your phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220606-025017634.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-025017634.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220606-024902550.jpg
    Screenshot_20220606-024902550.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EdgeBlock prevents accidental touches along screen edges when you are holding your phone. This is especially useful on the latest phones with curved screen edges and very thin bezels.

I had been having a terrible time watching movies on my OnePlus 7 Pro, my fingers kept accidentally touching the edge of the screen, which caused problems like the video skipping ahead or bring up the cast dialog. another big problem was with the Camera, I kept accidentally changing focus and even closing the app. So I looked on the Play Store and found a few apps that do this, but none of them were satisfactory, so I made my own app.

The big difference between EdgeBlock and the others is you can specify different settings for portrait, landscape and fullscreen mode. Another important improvement in EdgeBlock is that it properly supports gesture modes and notches. The blocked area will always be at the screen edge.

Another huge advantage with EdgeBlock is that it does not require Accessibility Services or any other intrusive permissions. The only permission required is Draw/Display over other apps. As with all my apps, it is ad-free and does not harvest your data.

I have been using this since last summer, but only recently had the time to polish it an release on the Play Store. During that time I've optimized the app for all use cases.

Per app mode - Not needed!
    I know one of the first questions I will get is about per app mode. I did create a per-app mode originally, but found it is not needed! Once you enable EdgeBlock there is no need to change the settings for different apps, it just works. You also have a lot of control using the settings for portrait, landscape and fullscreen. Some users my disable EdgeBlock in portrait and landscape, but enable EdgeBlock in fullscreen mode.

The biggest problem with a per-app mode is that it requires either the App Usage permission or an Accessibility Service. The app usage permission works, but must constantly poll for the foreground app. This is an unnecessary waste of resources and battery life. The Accessibility method would work better, but requires an Accessibility service. I do not think an Accessibility service is warranted, since the app functions perfectly without it and I want to keep the app as light as possible.

Download EdgeBlock on the Play Store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.edgeblock

block access to the top edge on the lockscreen to prevent access to the quick settings?
    not sure if you are aware, but there is an LSPosed module that does this, called 'NoQSInLockScreen'. works great for me :)