• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App] Energy Bar - a pulsating Battery Indicator! [Special Curved Edition for S8]

Search This thread

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
UPDATE: New version EB_CD_1.4_BETA is now up on Google Play Store. Download now! Please leave a rating on Google Play Store if you try the App, your feedback is very valuable!

NOTE: The App is tested on Samsung Galaxy S9 so far, for the looks. If you have a Galaxy S8/S8+/S9+, please post some pictures as a feedback. Thanks! :)

Greetings! I made this special Curved Edition of Energy Bar for Galaxy S8/S9/+. Look forward to hear community feedback on this. :)

cover.jpg

eb_curved_logo.png
Many of you who have a Windows Mobile past like me, might have instantly recognized the thin colorful line(s) in the above image. And for the new Android generation, introducing Energy Bar - a pulsating Battery indicator!

Energy Bar puts a thin line on top of your Status Bar whose length corresponds to your device's current Battery level.

Got a full charge? The line will cover the whole width of your screen.
Battery depleting? So will the length of Energy Bar.

After several iterations (thank you for the feedback, early testers), the App is now feature packed:

• Energy Bar can be configured from a width of 1 pixel to cover the entire status bar
  • Energy Bar puts almost 0% load on CPU, as it wakes up only to reflect any change in battery level
  • Energy Bar's origin can be configured as left/center/right
  • Energy Bar can hide on fullscreen content (apps, videos, images, games etc)
  • Energy Bar can be configured to change colors automatically depending on the live battery level
  • Energy Bar could have a mono color/multiple color segments/gradient
  • You can literally assign any color in the world for your favorite configuration
  • Energy Bar as a cool pulsating animation whenever a power source is plugged into your device

There is something about visual over numbers that keeps you and your device's battery level in sync with just a glance. You may find it intuitive/effective/stylish way to read the battery level, let me know what you think :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

DOWNLOADS:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
LOOKS:

Charging animation demo (style - bounce), thanks @sl33pyK!

Attachments

• curve25.jpg
    curve25.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 2,717
  • curve26.jpg
    curve26.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2,709
  • curve27.jpg
    curve27.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2,646
  • curve28.jpg
    curve28.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,506
  • curve29.jpg
    curve29.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 2,452
Last edited:

Numzi

Jun 5, 2013
Hi. I'm on Galaxy S8+ (Japanese version SCV35) but I'm getting an error saying I'm not on a supported version.

Not rooted. On stock. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180402-125236.jpg
    Screenshot_20180402-125236.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,287

Devoct

Jun 23, 2012
it looks good, but careful, it might burned-in.
for example the left part, assuming it's full bar, the area between 0-20% might stay the same at all times, which could lead to burn in.

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Good job. Looks good too

Thanks! :)

Hi. I'm on Galaxy S8+ (Japanese version SCV35) but I'm getting an error saying I'm not on a supported version.

Hi! I just released a 'hotfix', please try the latest version from Play Store, eagerly look forward to hear your feedback!

It looks great, my only grips is that the bar is vey uneven around the curve edges. I'm super OCD about these things though.

Hi! Thanks for trying. Could you please send me screenshots (also photos of the phone) indicating the unevenness? I don't have the physical device, if there is enough information, I may be able to fix it. :)

for example the left part, assuming it's full bar, the area between 0-20% might stay the same at all times, which could lead to burn in.

Thanks! And yes, there is always that possibility. Hopefully switching up the color intensity or even the color itself from settings and changing the 'origin of the bar' will be helpful. I will look into if there is anything I can add/change to avoid any potential burn ins.

Devoct

Jun 23, 2012
Thanks! And yes, there is always that possibility. Hopefully switching up the color intensity or even the color itself from settings and changing the 'origin of the bar' will be helpful. I will look into if there is anything I can add/change to avoid any potential burn ins.

if OLED can't get burn in, i will definitely use this, it just looks great!
maybe you can look to Samsung or Google how they handle burn in?
because as you know, even signal icon or battery icon can get burn in over time.

iamnotexisting

Aug 23, 2017
Portland, OR
Hi! Thanks for trying. Could you please send me screenshots (also photos of the phone) indicating the unevenness? I don't have the physical device, if there is enough information, I may be able to fix it. :)

Sure! Here are a few shots of what I mean. :) What mainly bugged me is that there isn't the same amount of space from the edge of the screen in areas of the curve, some pixellation, and how it curves inward at the bottom of the status bar (which is what I think may be a source of the unevenness). I don't know if these are possible to fix, but thanks anyway!

Sorry for being so picky, I hope this helps.

Attachments

• screener_1522677148268.jpg
    screener_1522677148268.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Reactions: YatoAntrax20XX

huffmybrd

Jul 16, 2009
Sure! Here are a few shots of what I mean. :) What mainly bugged me is that there isn't the same amount of space from the edge of the screen in areas of the curve, some pixellation, and how it curves inward at the bottom of the status bar (which is what I think may be a source of the unevenness). I don't know if these are possible to fix, but thanks anyway!

I agree, if the bar tapered off just at the bottom of the status bar it'd be great. At full thickness it still sticks under buy a bit.

Also @jagen2 what are the "donation" amounts? There's no currency listed in the unlock page...

Last edited:

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009

I agree, if the bar tapered off just at the bottom of the status bar it'd be great. At full thickness it still sticks under buy a bit.

Also @jagen2 what are the "donation" amounts? There's no currency listed in the unlock page...

Hey Guys! The pixelation I am afraid is not fixable without some performance cost. Now about the uneven thickness, I am not quite sure if I understand what you mean.

The Bar curves along the physical curve to meet at a sharp point where the phone's physical curve ends, so naturally the distance between the physical curve and Energy Bar's curve will keep on reducing to meet a sharp point.

I did consider making the curve end at the bottom of status bar precisely, but it didn't look 'good', moreover, it made more sense to curve Energy Bar and take it as far as where the physical curve seem to end.

Please click one of the options, a pop-up from Google Play will appear which will list the price in your local currency. :)

Reactions: iamnotexisting

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
UPDATE: What's new?

EB_CD_1.2_BETA:

* Adjusted the curve at left corner by 1 pixel, because every pixel matters!
* Fixed issues with 'Status Bar' mode - portrait to landscape switching/auto-hides.

EB_CD_1.2.1_BETA:

* Minor Bug fixes

Hey Guys! If you try the App, please leave a review on Google Play Store, it will be really helpful, thanks! :)

Last edited:

huffmybrd

Jul 16, 2009
Paid for the unlock cuz I love the gradient effect, everything looks great.

Had an idea for a charging animation though.

So when the bar comes in and hits the end of the battery level maybe make one it so the bar travels thoughout the entire bar (as a little "blip") twords 0%, cuz that would help with the burn in since it'll add a little animation to the lower end (under 50%).

Cuz I know I for one never let my battery drop under 20% so that bit of the bar is always there.

Also, could you make the background transparent? Samsung sets some apps with a white status bar which turns the text grey and unreadable

Reactions: YatoAntrax20XX

kjames2001

Oct 22, 2011
Very nice app (literally)!

However, when I first read the xda news, I saw pulsating as an option. But after I installed the app, I can't seem to find the pulsating option.

Maybe we have a different understanding of the word.

I really wish it does pulsate or twinkles or even dims and brighten up in circulation. Hope you can understand what I'm saying. As this will help with the burn in problem too.
@jagan2

Edit: I see now, pulsating is an animation when charging. But what I'm suggesting is that the whole bar pulsates, and not necessarily only when charging, can have it on all the time, to help with burn in.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: New version EB_CD_1.4_BETA is now up on Google Play Store. Download now! Please leave a rating on Google Play Store if you try the App, your feedback is very valuable!

NOTE: The App is tested on Samsung Galaxy S9 so far, for the looks. If you have a Galaxy S8/S8+/S9+, please post some pictures as a feedback. Thanks! :)

Greetings! I made this special Curved Edition of Energy Bar for Galaxy S8/S9/+. Look forward to hear community feedback on this. :)

cover.jpg

eb_curved_logo.png
    Many of you who have a Windows Mobile past like me, might have instantly recognized the thin colorful line(s) in the above image. And for the new Android generation, introducing Energy Bar - a pulsating Battery indicator!

Energy Bar puts a thin line on top of your Status Bar whose length corresponds to your device's current Battery level.

Got a full charge? The line will cover the whole width of your screen.
    Battery depleting? So will the length of Energy Bar.

After several iterations (thank you for the feedback, early testers), the App is now feature packed:

• Energy Bar can be configured from a width of 1 pixel to cover the entire status bar
    • Energy Bar puts almost 0% load on CPU, as it wakes up only to reflect any change in battery level
    • Energy Bar's origin can be configured as left/center/right
    • Energy Bar can hide on fullscreen content (apps, videos, images, games etc)
    • Energy Bar can be configured to change colors automatically depending on the live battery level
    • Energy Bar could have a mono color/multiple color segments/gradient
    • You can literally assign any color in the world for your favorite configuration
    • Energy Bar as a cool pulsating animation whenever a power source is plugged into your device

There is something about visual over numbers that keeps you and your device's battery level in sync with just a glance. You may find it intuitive/effective/stylish way to read the battery level, let me know what you think :)

DOWNLOADS:

LOOKS:

Charging animation demo (style - bounce), thanks @sl33pyK!

Yeah i did some digging and found Droidadmin has some weird overlay settings.

But other then that, it's starting to become more and more polished, I've spent the past 3 days trying to figure out what colors I want for the gradient effect (and then my son gets on my phone and changes it to his colors haha)

haha, cool! The gradient colors when chosen complementing the wallpaper looks really cool, like the one in this video:

Also, on the latest version did you find Energy Bar disappearing anytime? Even if it happens once please let me know.
    What's new in EB_CD_1.4_BETA?

* Fixed internal crashes.

* 'Hotfix' for Energy Bar disappearing randomly, it's based on remote devices' feedback. Thanks for the patience. Please uninstall current version > reboot phone > Install latest version, this will make sure that there are no traces of Energy Bar running from previous version.

Hey Guys! If you try the App, please leave a review on Google Play Store, it will be really helpful, thanks! :)
    Good job. Looks good too

Thanks! :)

Hi! I just released a 'hotfix', please try the latest version from Play Store, eagerly look forward to hear your feedback!

It looks great, my only grips is that the bar is vey uneven around the curve edges. I'm super OCD about these things though.

UPDATE: What's new?

EB_CD_1.2_BETA:

* Adjusted the curve at left corner by 1 pixel, because every pixel matters!
    * Fixed issues with 'Status Bar' mode - portrait to landscape switching/auto-hides.

EB_CD_1.2.1_BETA:

* Minor Bug fixes