[APP] Fennec (Firefox) for Android

Search This thread

grainysand

Dec 16, 2009
MartinSchirr over at Android Forums has compiled Fennec for Android, with a demo video and everything. I've tried it to no result on my N1 (hit launch, screen went black and my phone hung; I suspect it's because I'm using apps2sd), but I dunno, maybe you guys might have better luck. Guy's server seems a tad slow, so I slapped it on Sendspace here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6kp6p

Update: okay, gave it another whirl. The person responsible for compiling this wasn't kidding about 41 MB; even with apps2sd, it still takes up roughly 33 MB of internal storage. Giant ouch. And here I thought Google Earth was big.

The initial launch results in a black screen and the OS hanging. Not sure why or what it is doing there, but as iSecks said, after rebooting it works. Sort of. I can't for the life of me type in a URL. Kept poking at the address bar and inputting random letters, but no go. This was compiled for use on the Droid, so it may very well not gel with an N1 (I've got Modaco Desire ROM, for what that's worth). If anyone's had better success on an N1, I'd like to hear about it. Still, I must say that it looks a lot more sophisticated than any other Android browser available right now.

Here are some screenshots.

Attachments

• device.jpg
    device.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,867
  • device2.jpg
    device2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,605
  • device3.jpg
    device3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • device4.jpg
    device4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:

domenukk

Jan 11, 2010
Not working on magic with cupcake rom...
its probably compiled for 2.x :(
But big news.
I wonder how it can be 40 megabytes when installed... largest app I have seen I think

iSecks

Nov 30, 2009
Installed it on my Droid, works. It's kinda slow, but it works. My phone hung the first time running it, but after a reboot it ran faster than I thought it would run [which was still slow for everyday use.] Nice interface though, I thought it would be harder to use than it actually was. What's nice is it has the popup for unresponsive javascript scripts that let you stop executing them. :D

grainysand

Dec 16, 2009
Huh, guess Mozilla meant it when they said it's just not optimized for Android yet. I should give it another go.

MartinSchirr

Mar 30, 2010
Hi,
here is Martin :)

Have a look at my site for further information and the videos (sorry for german :))
schirrmacher.eu/fennec/

Sorry can't post a full link
Maybe a moderator can move the thread in another subforum ;)

Martin

footboydog

Jan 25, 2009
I take it the name is "GeckoApp" in the Launcher. I tried it on my Nexus One and I get the big Launch button but then its just a black screen. I tried rebooting but got the same. Any idea how to fix it please?

minogue

Jan 31, 2009
Elizabeth
just tried it on the n1, typed google.com on he keybpard. press back button a few times and it loaded but doesnt seems to work though.. hmmm

HSDarkT3k

Nov 12, 2009
Tampa Bay
Hi,
here is Martin :)

Have a look at my site for further information and the videos (sorry for german :))
schirrmacher.eu/fennec/

Sorry can't post a full link
Maybe a moderator can move the thread in another subforum ;)

Martin
Just kidding... found this on Android Forums...

The Username and password are on the download page.
User: fennec
Password: android

Feel free to test it.

Thank for your reply.
Martin

Last edited:

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
Tried it anyway, got a button on a black screen, clicking on the button left with just the black screen :eek:
Waited...nothing...killed it. Will keep an eye out for newer builds!

Barkleyfan

Mar 1, 2009
Works decent in Droid. No touch input, so at this point you need a hard keyboard. I'm sure that will be a quick fix. No multi-touch yet either. It's promising, but it has some catching up to do before it could be a replacement for stock browser.

generic.imitation

Feb 5, 2009
Works on my droid. Stock 2.0.1. Numbers don't work on keyboard after hitting alt. Animated gifs DO work however, which is nice. It has great potential. Nice to see xda getting talked about and linked to from gizmodo. I would have never found this build. Thanks to OP.

GldRush98

Jun 3, 2006
Taylorville, IL.
www.GldRush98.com
Looks hot
A couple questions
1) Does it animate gif's like a real web browser should?
2) Can you upload files with it like a real web browser should?

(I can't believe Google left these 2 gigantic critical features OUT)