[APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)

Search This thread

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
Thanks mate! that was exactly the issue I was facing,,, It's not a major issue as I don't really use a lot of apps beyond the UK catch-up apps, kodi,plex & tivimate which I have already sideloaded.
Is there any chance of a system update whilst I re-enable the Amazon launcher? (for future app searches),

Thank you that info, I do use Alexa.
However after enabling com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2 (via Debloat Toolbox), When I go into MyFireTV--> About the " Check for Updates" just displays "Last Checked, Checking now..."
and if I click on "Check for Updates" it just says "Update Error try again later". Maybe I'll re-activate all apps apart the os update ones and try again...
Or do I need to reboot after activating com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2?
@tinybilbo said he just setup a new 4k Max and it came with 7.2.4.8, so they still come with the release firmware version from last October.

No, enabling / disabling the custom launcher with launcher manager is independent of disabling updates with launcher manager. Updates will only be re-enabled if you go back in the sub menu and press the re-enable option, or use another app to re-enable them.

com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2 as far as I remember is specifically for new device setup and after a factory reset to force install an OTA update. I don't think it has anything to do with updating system apps. The OTA update block only blocks firmware updates, but app updates still occur with all three of those packages disabled.
Sorry, was wrong and edited my previous post about package:com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2

I had it in my notes under the wrong heading notation, or something; but still on my devices that can no longer block the full-firmware OTA updates I am still disabling that v2 package, because I believe it stops the System Apps from being Auto-Installed when they are downloaded with package:com.amazon.device.software.ota, this way I'll have time to clear its data so the OTA system apps don't get installed.

Did some testing with a brand new Cube, easy enough to skip the initial setup update process to debloat a new device and install LauncherManager, but of course couldn't get only the system-apps to download and update like I had with my 4K-Max months ago. Did decide to test letting the Cube firmware build (PS7229/1856) upgrade to build (PS7279/2766) to see if FTV-Launcher would stay disabled. That worked by enabling only package:com.amazon.device.software.ota and leaving the other two OTA packages (com.amazon.device.software.ota.override, com.amazon.tv.forcedotaupdater.v2) disabled, and those 2 packages must stay disabled because the AFTV-Launcher will get updated through the OTA system apps and not the Amazon Appstore. Caveat is I can no longer freeze/stop full OTA firmware updates, and I still had to sideload the current versions of system apps that come via OTA and not the Appstore.

List of the System Apps that I needed to sideload to new Cube after it was updated to latest firmware (may not have needed all of them):

Alexa 3.0.757.0-com.amazon.vizzini.645.0.0_645131910
Amazon Music 3.4.383.0
Amazon System WebView 98.amazon-webview-v98-4758-tv.4758.101.39
AmazonSettings 1.0.04820.0-com.amazon.tv.settings.v2-jarvis_621031710
Appstore 8.5005.5.v.x215657.0_421975710
Arcus Android Client 1.0.1283.0-com.amazon.tv.parentalcontrols-jarvis_
Aria AriaRuntime-1.10.334.0
Ceviche 1.0.2364.0_1369310
DeviceControl 1.0.211138.0_1002155610
Equipment Control 1.0.214547.0-jarvis_1011764010
FireTV Player FireTV.320.11401
Freevee 1.0.8699.0
LiveTV 2.0.219046.0-com.amazon.tv.livetv_1210702110
Music 1.0.4339.0_11393010
News 1.0.6869.0_11087810
Silk Browser 100.1.153.4896.127.30

E3Im0

May 15, 2022
im ordering a new 4k max firestick today so when I turn it on, i follow the stop inital update guide then instantly enable adb and block the updates from there

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
@RiCkLaR there was a root exploit posted for the 2nd gen Cube in the last week. It looks like only temporary root for now, but it requires a version of FireOS earlier than 7.2.7.3.

It may be worth considering keeping the Cube pre 7.2.7.3 if root interests you. I realize you already updated, but I'm assuming you can still return it.

E3Im0

May 15, 2022
@Finnzz I have ordered my new 4k max and it is coming tomorrow so when it comes i'll follow the guide and instantly block the updates and then activate launch manager and remove the stock launcher

Reactions: Finnzz

E3Im0

May 15, 2022
@Finnzz I have ordered my new 4k max and it is coming tomorrow so when it comes i'll follow the guide and instantly block the updates and then activate launch manager and remove the stock launcher
I've done it thank you sooo much I've got rid of the stock launcher but just one question on the debloater what things like keep alexa on as I find it handy to use it

Reactions: Finnzz

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
I've done it thank you sooo much I've got rid of the stock launcher but just one question on the debloater what things like keep alexa on as I find it handy to use it
I don't disable much on my unit, so I don't have a list. I can only recommend downloading SweenWolf's debloat tool from the OP. I noticed that TecDoc is now inserting banner ads into Wolf's apps that he hosts on his site.

shrazy

Mar 6, 2013
Sorry if it's sound weird but how can I set up Wolflauncher on my now freshly rooted tank device? With LM still Amazon Launcher starts when pressing home button and when I deactivate Amazon launcher via adb I can not access settings.

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
Sorry if it's sound weird but how can I set up Wolflauncher on my now freshly rooted tank device? With LM still Amazon Launcher starts when pressing home button and when I deactivate Amazon launcher via adb I can not access settings.
TANK is FireOS 5 (Android 5.1), LM works best with FireOS 6 & 7 (Android 7.1 & Android 9). As far as I know FireOS 5 works with delay, so pressing home will go to FTV-Launcher for 5+ seconds before swithing to an alternate launcher. I would set all the settings before disabling the FTV-Launcher. Most of the settings are set once and forget about them.

Ask in the "Root Tank" forum thread, maybe there is another way to reprogram the Home_button.

Last edited:
Reactions: shrazy

E3Im0

May 15, 2022
Hi I've got a question.
Does the firmware affect my insternet speed and if it does can I update and still keep my custom launcher

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Hi I've got a question.
Does the firmware affect my insternet speed and if it does can I update and still keep my custom launcher

Whenever Amazon makes changes, it's always theoretically possible that something they've changed would affect your Internet speed, but it's not likely. If you update, you lose the ability to set the custom launcher.

Noisemaker00

Apr 9, 2013
hi guys,
I have a 4K rooted firestick, if I want to change stock launcher can I simply install the apk then I disable the kftv launcher with pm and root access? Or this will cause issues?
Another question: wich launcher do u suggest? I read some of them are not developed anymore

grebarne

Mar 23, 2012
Sony Tablet S
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi with a command adb in the launcher L.M.M 1.0.0.7 you can use the wolf launcher by default and you can all update and thé firmware update tested on fire tv 4k and 4k max.

adb shell
pm uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher

And that s it.
Thanks to RICKLaR

Last edited:
Reactions: Sebama

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Reactions: Sebama

andreluigo

Jun 1, 2013
Patch - 6.2.8.9 (mantis / Firestick 4k) [Final]

Added recents Support to CLH (Double press Home to open shortcuts)

NOTE:
Needs NS6289 to work
Needs Patched boot image, either flash attached boot.img or just install magisk
I have a Fire Stick 4K with FireOS 6.2.8.9 (NS6289) and tried all methods using LM but didn't work...
How can i use this way (files)?

PuckBass

Jan 26, 2021
TANK is FireOS 5 (Android 5.1), LM works best with FireOS 6 & 7 (Android 7.1 & Android 9). As far as I know FireOS 5 works with delay, so pressing home will go to FTV-Launcher for 5+ seconds before swithing to an alternate launcher. I would set all the settings before disabling the FTV-Launcher. Most of the settings are set once and forget about them.

Ask in the "Root Tank" forum thread, maybe there is another way to reprogram the Home_button.
if you are actually root on tank then the best and only way is custom rom!

Reactions: RiCkLaR

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
I have a Fire Stick 4K with FireOS 6.2.8.9 (NS6289) and tried all methods using LM but didn't work...
How can i use this way (files)?
You could only use those "files" if you have a ROOTED 4K-Stick.

Is this your first time using LM ? If so, the latest firmware builds like (NS6289/3905) have protected packages, which prevents LM from disabling the necessary system apks to change the launcher.

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
For Wolf Launcher on the Firestick 4K Max, which runs on OS7, is it possible to have the an empty section not have the words "This section is empty, move apps into this section"? On my Firestick 4K (non-Max), if I have an empty section, it just stays blank without the extra words. I want there to be a blank space (Therefore I can't just select "hide section"), just without the words

Kind of like around 10:14 of this video, those words in the empty "Settings" section.

In an older TechDoctorUK video that he does on Wolf Launcher on the Firestick 4K non-max (running on OS6), he creates an empty section that stays blank without any words. Shows it around 7:42 of this video:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi SweenWolf, Currently I have 6.2.8.1_r3 installed. So what is the correct sequence to flash 6.2.8.9 with your patch.
    watch the video to create a new TWRP flashable image.

Written steps:
    1. download latest bin file. (e.g. mantis.bin)
    2. download some archive tool (e.g. 7-zip)
    3. rename the bin extension to zip (e.g. mantis.zip)
    4. open "mantis.zip" using "7-zip" and delete all folders from zip file
    5. now open "Scripts.zip" and extract it (download from attachment)
    6. put the extracted folder "META-INF" into "mantis.zip"
    7. put patched boot.img into "mantis.zip"
    now you can simply flash the "mantis.zip" files in TWRP
    Is the following workflow correct?
    NO.
    1. flash your modified boot.img in fastboot on 6.2.8.1_r3 and there should be only one boot partition for mantis right?
    Doing this WILL brick your stick. Never flash any boot or recovery image using Fastboot, use TWRP to do that.

Usually a boot.img is to be flashed along with the os image itself, but it can be flashed after os installation and not prior to it (and before any reboot)
    if you flashed mantis.zip using twrp then flash boot.img right after that (you should not reboot before that)

IN THIS CASE WE ARE PUTTING THE PATCHED BOOT.IMG INSIDE THE OS IMAGE SO NO NEED TO FLASH IT MANUALLY.
    2. reboot into twrp and flash 6.2.8.9
    3. before reboot flash your patch for 6.2.8.9

Thank you for your time and help.

Just follow the instructions, create a modified OS image, flash the image using TWRP and reboot.

after that you can simply flash anything you like e.g. magisk or pathces.
    Hi with a command adb in the launcher L.M.M 1.0.0.7 you can use the wolf launcher by default and you can all update and thé firmware update tested on fire tv 4k and 4k max.

adb shell

And that s it.
    Thanks to RICKLaR

adb shell

And that s it.
    Thanks to RICKLaR

With some important caveats (see my discussion with him starting here): https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...er-without-root.4176349/page-53#post-86851841

if you are actually root on tank then the best and only way is custom rom!
    You might try out the Walmart onn. Android TV 4K UHD box -- it only costs $19.88, and comes with the Google G10 reference remote. I'm able to install Button Mapper and FLauncher on it, mapping the Home key to FLauncher. It performs more smoothly than my Fire TV Stick 4K on various videos. The only problem I have with it currently is that the Vudu app (owned by Fandango now, no longer Walmart) hasn't been updated to support 4K UHD. I also prefer the Fire TV Stick 4K remote to the Google G10 remote, because the former has a dedicated play/pause button -- but you can always pair a different Bluetooth remote with the onn. box.

Thanks but I’m in the UK. No walmart!
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (FOS 6+)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your FireTV.
    (Latest: 1.1.6)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and select "Enable Custom Launcher".
    If you get "CONNECTION FAILED" then see INFO section.
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.
    If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", see INFO section.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.
    INFO:
    • If you get "CONNECTION FAILED", click on "OPEN ADB SETTINGS" and enable "ADB DEBUGGING" and Press BACK Button. If you still get this error Restart your Device (Long Press SELECT + PLAY/PAUSE Button)and disconnect from PC if Connected.
    • If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", it means you don't have a custom launcher Installed, just install the launcher and you'll be good to go, no need to enable stock.
    • You can only open some of the Settings using Launcher Manager, to Access All the Settings then you have to Disable Custom Launcher.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.1.5):

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Changelog:
    1.1.6 (02-Mar-22)

• Added Some more Translation
    • Added System apps to LMU Handler
    • Added Password protection for LM
    • Fixed app conflict issue
    • Fixed icon on Fireos 7
    • Added option to execute saved adb shell commands
    • Integrated Update Blocker in LM (Doesn't work with latest release of FireOS)
    1.1.5 (03-Jan-22)
    • Added German and Spanish Translation
    • Some Bug Fixes
    • Some minor changes
    • Ability to change Screensaver
    • Ability to change System Language (on Request)
    • Added / Changed some Icons
    • Some minor changes
    • Re-added option for Selecting any app as launcher (LM Handler), can be accessed within Launcher Options.
    • Added Keyboard Change Options (in Display & Sound section) (moved to Other Settings)
    • Reuploaded version
      • Fixed 4K detection for Display Resolution
      • Fixed Crash for Devices with non-usable overscan values
    • Added Display & Sounds Option (Display, Sounds, Overscan, CEC)
    • Changing Display Resolution requires System Restart
    • Fixed Equipment Control
    • Boot Delay is fixed by Amzon on newer Roms.
    • Settings from Amazon Hud opens Launcher Manager (On updating to 1.0.9 from older version its mendatory to click on "Enable Custom Launcher" just one time for this to work)
    • For the Devices with New Updated Amazon Interface
    • Removed Launcher Choices
    • Now using single key for all the apps. (Remove older version first to update the key.)
    • Delay is still there, needs logcat
    • In-app Updates
    • Fixed some bugs
    • Changed UI
    • Changed Package Name
    • Changed Install location to Internal Only
    • Added System and Developers Shortcut
    • Fixed issue where launcher is stuck sometimes
    • Added option to choose any Custom Launcher *
    • Can be Launched from Amazon Hud *
    * Needs Launcher Manager to be set as Default Launcher. (LM is auto selected)
    * If launched by Amazon HUD, Long press will open Launcher manager, press back to exit from there. (Fixed in 1.0.6)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FireOS Update Blocker (FOS 6+)
    This app can be used to Enable or Disable Amazon System Update.
    Update Blocker (Click to Download)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (Android TV)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your AndroidTV. (Latest: 1.0.4)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Enable Custom Launcher".
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.

• Added Custom Launcher support
    FIRETV SETTINGS (3.0)
    *ANY FIREOS (Version 71 or lower) or 6.2.8.0 with patched Accessibility
    pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    needed for proper working of this app

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW (not necessary for app working)
    needed to show mouse/package overlay

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS (needed for package overlay only when accessibility services are disabled) (not needed)

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    (needed for prime accessibility workaround) (prime workaround will disable accessibility services temporarily so prime video will auto hide the bar, it will restart the services once home button is pressed).

To start service for first time click on (START SERVICE) on Top Right.

To toggle mouse mode long press "Play/Pause", to scroll use Fast Forward/Rewind
    press menu button to switch scrolling direction.

Key Bindings:
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Long Press) = Traditional Amazon Menu
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Single Click) = Amazon Home
    Home (Long Press) = Shortcuts & App Drawer
    (In App Drawer) Long Press on Item = App option & Appstore link

Mouse functionality added from this source. MATVT (GitHub)

LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.0.7) (FOS5)

STEPS:

1. Steps to install app on FireTV
    Download Main File via this link Launcher Manager (FOS5)
    then install it on Your FireTV running FireOS 5

2. Steps to be setup the App

If you know how to use ADB then here are the commands
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    [OR]
    or you can download FireTV Toolbox
    install it on any Android device (not on the Main FireTV device)
    Enter the IP address of your FireTV in this app and click on Connect
    Click on "GO" button after "Setup Launcher Manager"
    it will auto launch the app on FireTV.
    Select the launcher of your choice and enable Launcher Detection, click on save.

FireTV Toolbox
    http://bit.ly/SWFTB16
    Launcher Manager (FireOS 5)
    http://bit.ly/SW5LM107
    LAUNCHER MANAGER ULTIMATE

This app can disable Stock Launcher of Any Android TV (except anything running on Fireos 5), it requires Network Debugging to function.
    The way it works is it finds the stock launcher and disables it.
    It does that in a loop until "android" itself is set as default launcher.
    at this point if there are no Custom launchers are installed on the system then you will see only a black screen.
    So a custom launcher should be installed prior to enabling the custom launcher.

some apps also broadcasts themselves as launcher and if they are installed as system app and are set as default launcher then it will also disable them.
    some launcher integrates settings in them so disabling the launcher will disable settings also.
    the apps who broadcasts themselves as Fallback home will not be disabled.

There were certain cases where user uninstalled launcher and got blank screen, to mitigate that issue LMU will set itself as the launcher and call the other launchers on its behalf. so if the launcher is deleted then pressing the home button will launch LMU, from where you can disable custom launcher support.

If it detects that after disabling everything it doesn't reach the "android" itself and is unable to find a launcher then it will rollback itself, enabling every single thing it disabled.

Changes:
    Fixed Settings Shortcut for Amazon Hud.
    Fixed Disabling of "Android"

All other functionalities are similar to Launcher Manager from the First Post.
    Screenrecord:
    Launcher Manager Ultimate

PERMISSIONS MANAGER
    Version: 1.0.3 (1-Mar-22)

This app uses shell to grant or deny any permissions that an app requires.
    Usage:
    Select an app and click on it
    From the list of permission which you want to grant or deny the access and click ok
    select "Allow" or "Deny"
    DEBLOAT TOOLBOX (FireOS 6 & 7)
    Version: 5 (19-Jan-22)
    Debloat System Apps on FireOS 6 & 7
    This isn't a confidence-inspiring reply.

I don't actually care if you took an abandoned app and updated it making it your own, but the second half of your reply is just unnecessarily confrontational.

You could have just reassured me that your edits were safe, but you choose to be defensive instead.

I think I'll remove your launcher and look for something via the Play Store.

I've lost all confidence in Wolf Launcher.
    Look I'm gonna tell you and everyone what I've done with the launcher till now,
    I have changed the way it launches the app, on latest pro (any pro) it used to crash the apps.
    I fixed the title bar. I then optimized it for FireTV (not any other OS, which caused it to misbehave on some device) which i later fixed. Then some people were having trouble installing both ATV and Wolf simultanously. so i had to change package name which made me to change the launcher name also (that might have been wrong on my side). then i optimized the app once again for FireOS (it caused some freeze issue). Then to fix Setting of Amazon HUD (older version of FireOS), I had to add a code to handle settings (it only works on Amazon and no other device). I changed some sections to give user large wall (that was temporary fix). I removed some http links, but they are used either for update check or to change Network State in the launcher.
    Then i added "App Info" to the launcher, which i only added for non-system apps.
    Later i removed the large section mod and unlocked the widget for Firestick 4k.
    Then I added "Other Settings" which contained option to clear cache and Backup/ Restore function.
    i also added a code which starts the services of Launcher Manager (thats also mainly for FireOS and thats because of Boot Delay). I also added a stroke for tiles.
    thats all i have done to the apk. I have not done this mod to make any money, and i can assure you this app is safe to use. My only intention to mod this app was that this app was almost perfect and there was some bugs which i had to fix myself because the support of this launcher were down. And the only issue at that time was app crash for which i decided not to compile a launcher by myself. I am not forcing you to do anything, I am just clarifying myself, The apps which i have created are safe. and are to improve the user experience only.
    i do not like to or want to rip someone off. I started this mod for FireOS only and no other OS.
    custom launcher for Fire OS 6.2.8.7,

No Root Required​

install wolf or other custom launcher
    install total commander on amazon app store
    open, go to installed app, copy somewhere default launcher if you want(backup), after that delete default launcher.
    And now you can use custom launcher again.
    enjoy
    Check for Grey Icon and incorrect translations (used Google Translate for some missing strings)