[APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)

Search This thread

Nomand

May 19, 2008
Can someone tell, what is the latest FireOS version for 4K Max, where you can disable stock launcher with LM?

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Can someone tell, what is the latest FireOS version for 4K Max, where you can disable stock launcher with LM?
7255/2465 was the last version for the Max before OTA packages and the launcher became protected. 7273/2622 was when both became protected.

I think there was also a brief rollback from 7273/2622 to 7255/2566 on some 4k max devices, and then later updated to 7273/2625.

You just want to be pre 7273. If you already had Launcher Manager and a custom launcher installed by 7273, many people have been able to delete the Fire Launcher update to use their custom launcher again. But this has drawbacks, best to stay pre 7273.

Reactions: RiCkLaR and Nomand

Nomand

May 19, 2008
7255/2465 was the last version for the Max before OTA packages and the launcher became protected. 7273/2622 was when both became protected.

I think there was also a brief rollback from 7273/2622 to 7255/2566 on some 4k max devices, and then later updated to 7273/2625.

You just want to be pre 7273. If you already had Launcher Manager and a custom launcher installed by 7273, many people have been able to delete the Fire Launcher update to use their custom launcher again. But this has drawbacks, best to stay pre 7273.
I was offered to buy used 4K Max for 15€, but with FireOS 7.2.7.9.
It was not connected to internet since that update, but looks like it doesn't matter, if you can't disable stock launcher and updates with this version.
My main 4K Max have old firmware and everything is disabled, but I need another Stick for my parents. I think I would choose Xiaomi Stick 4K this time.

SimonB89

Sep 9, 2022
Hi guys,

I'm new to the Fire Stick scene, I have both a 3rd gen lite and full fat (Sheldon/p?).

Both of them are on 7.2.9.2, is there a method to roll these back to a previous firmware where Launcher Manager works?

Thanks

tokoam

Jun 24, 2007
Plantation
So I have a few questions for the experts . I have a 4kMax stick i'm on 7.2.5.5 . I'm on the latest version of the launcher manager using wolf launcher . When I click on appstore I cannot do a voice search no can I type in anything it closes out of the app-store . Then brings me back to the Home screen . Any one know how to fix this ?

sibok

Aug 25, 2012
I own a FireTV 4K MAX running ATV Launcher 1.1.5-pro as default launcher (I know it's abandoned and outdated) which got updated to version Fire OS 7.2.7.3 (PS7273/2625) on April 2022.

Due to the 7.2.7.3 (PS7273/2625) update the ATV launcher got disabled but I was able to uninstall the Amazon launcher and set the ATV launcher as default again but today i noticed the Display mirroring wasn't working.

The thing is Display mirroring is not working on the FireTV. Imean, i enable Display mirroring in the FireTV but my mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S10 lite)or any other mobile phone can not find the shared screen. Does anyone know if it's due to having the Amazon Launcher uninstalled?

TheMovieMonk

Mar 1, 2022
Hey guys, just recenty made the swtich from the 4K to the 4Kmax. I managed to block the update process during the setup and used LM v1.1.7 to permanently block the updates.

I've installed Wolf v0.19 and have managed to make it the preferred launcher via LM v1.1.7. Whenever i press the home button while Wolf is already active or whenever the device wakes up from sleep the icons disappear and I'm unable to move the cursor. I will then have to restrart the device or force close and relaunch wolf launcher. I've attached an image below as to what i mean.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FTV 4KMAX details
WOLF : v0.19
LM : v1.1.7
BUILD : PS7248/2011
FTV HOME : 6320075.1

Attachments

• IMG_20221001_202806_375.jpg
    IMG_20221001_202806_375.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 46

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
I've installed Wolf v0.19 and have managed to make it the preferred launcher via LM v1.1.7. Whenever i press the home button while Wolf is already active or whenever the device wakes up from sleep the icons disappear and I'm unable to move the cursor.

I've only seen that occasionally happen right after a fresh install of Launcher Manager and then it goes away after a reboot.

Have you tried LM 1.1.6? Maybe the change in 1.1.7 to fix the boot delay is causing a problem for you?

Reactions: TheMovieMonk

PuckBass

Jan 26, 2021
@SweenWolf Why does Troypoint post on reddit and in his video that you are HIS dev and work for HIM !!! all the guys does is steal other people project and rebrand them and every video he makes is full of errors and he don't know wtf he is talking about!!! He posts apps that are fake and makes video on them too. still blabbing about jailbreaking firesticks... Don't you think for your sake you should say or do something and not associate with such scum?!

So why are you letting this fool's thief and fake developer take your ****!

literally every video troypoint post you could make a reply video as long pointing the errors in his

TechDoctorUK is the same but at least he don't pretend you work for him!

TheMovieMonk

Mar 1, 2022
I've only seen that occasionally happen right after a fresh install of Launcher Manager and then it goes away after a reboot.

Have you tried LM 1.1.6? Maybe the change in 1.1.7 to fix the boot delay is causing a problem for you?
Hey thank you so much for this! LM 1.1.6 worked without a hitch for 4KMax. I really appreciate the prompt reply.🙏🙏

On another note, anyone tried OLM 1.0.1 for devices that have already broken the custom launcer? It seems to pop up every 15 minutes on my old FS4K.

Reactions: Finnzz

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
Let Cube update to latest Fire OS 7.6.0.3 (PS7603/3110), but before this firmware Amazon had forced pushed an update to build (PS7292/2984) over the weekend while Cube wasn't being used, they also forced updating of 4 system-apps: OOBE, Ceviche, SystemStatusMonitor, EasyUpgrade. Checked on Mantis and the same 4 apps were installed before the "Check-for-updates" would download the recent build (NS6291/4113) for the 4K stick. Don't know how long EasyUpgrade system-app has been in the firmware, but it's in both Fos6 & Fos7; I think maybe I saw it beforehand but had forgot to disable it, though it still can be disabled with ADB shell.

ADB shell to disable:
Code:
pm disable-user com.amazon.tv.easyupgrade

There is a few New system APK's embedded in the latest Cube firmware, most probably relating to Alexa and/or Alexa features, but one package I noticed that was new for the Cube was also new to the recent FireHD tablet's firmware update, was package:com.amazon.hybridadidservice. Just by the name of "Hybrid-AD-ID-Service" doesn't look like something I care to have enabled or running in the background. Disabled in FireHD10 tablet previously with no issues, so disabled in the Cube as well.

ADB shell to disable:
Code:
pm disable-user com.amazon.hybridadidservice

Anyways, both Cube and 4K stick both updated and didn't lose Wolf Launcher as default.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finnzz

pulsarone

Apr 24, 2009
Hello everyone, forgive my ignorance but with a recent FIRE STICK Lite version PS 7603/3110, I would like to install FLauncher is this possible please?
My question because after having DL WLM or LAUNCH ON BOOT neither of the 2 works and the stock fire launcher (awful with its suggestions) remains in place
Please ?

mathius89

Mar 9, 2014

I already bought Fire Stick 4k Max, it's coming with 7292/2984. How can I rollback to 7255/2566 to install Launcher M? Thanks

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
I already bought Fire Stick 4k Max, it's coming with 7292/2984. How can I rollback to 7255/2566 to install Launcher M? Thanks
It's not possible to rollback the firmware on the 4k Max without root (not currently rootable), only Amazon can do that.

The 4k Max was shipping with PS7248/2011. It's possible Amazon finally ran out of their original inventory of 4k Max. I'd be surprised if the new stock is shipping with a firmware from only a month ago (7292/2984).

Did you skip the forced update when you first powered on the device, right before registration?

If you didn't, and you are still in the return period, you could send it back, get a new one and use the guide to skip updates on a new device.

Otherwise, you might be able to find older 4k Max inventory at a local store / retailer.

Reactions: mathius89

mathius89

Mar 9, 2014
It's not possible to rollback the firmware on the 4k Max without root (not currently rootable), only Amazon can do that.

The 4k Max was shipping with PS7248/2011. It's possible Amazon finally ran out of their original inventory of 4k Max. I'd be surprised if the new stock is shipping with a firmware from only a month ago (7292/2984).

Did you skip the forced update when you first powered on the device, right before registration?

If you didn't, and you are still in the return period, you could send it back, get a new one and use the guide to skip updates on a new device.

Otherwise, you might be able to find older 4k Max inventory at a local store / retailer.
I can't rollback... I'm using Wolf Launcher + Launch on Boot. Maybe in a future will be back the option to deactivate custom launcher. Thanks!!

pulsarone

Apr 24, 2009
Bonjour à tous, excusez mon ignorance mais avec une version récente de FIRE STICK Lite PS 7603/3110, je souhaiterais installer FLauncher est ce possible svp ?
Ma question car après avoir eu DL WLM ou LAUNCH ON BOOT aucun des 2 ne fonctionne et le lanceur d'incendie d'origine (horrible avec ses suggestions) reste en place
S'il vous plaît ?
Suis-je sur le mauvais fil ?

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Hello everyone, forgive my ignorance but with a recent FIRE STICK Lite version PS 7603/3110, I would like to install FLauncher is this possible please?
My question because after having DL WLM or LAUNCH ON BOOT neither of the 2 works and the stock fire launcher (awful with its suggestions) remains in place
Please ?
FireOS PS7273 was patched so that Launcher Manager no longer works properly. Launcher Manager is the app that sets WolfLauncher/Flauncher/Leanback as the default launcher.

This solution is working for many people that already had Launcher Manager installed before updating past PS7273. It doesn't appear to work if you try to install Launcher Manager after PS7273, but you can try:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Which app/files are blocking access to change original launcher?
    Probably /data/system/packages.xml

Installing / uninstalling / disabling packages (APKs) is handled by the PackageManagerService. The Package Manager stores app permissions in packages.xml

My guess is that the OTA and Amazon launcher apps are being given a permission in packages.xml that doesn't allow the app to be disabled at the user level. Launcher Manager relies on being able to disable the Amazon Launcher.

Someone with PS7273 firmware or newer, and root access, would have to confirm that.

it possible to remove the amazon launcher?

How ?
    I just got a new 4k max. Unopened. Is there anything I can do to avoid having it locked to the Amazon launcher? I want launch manager.
    Thanks. Firmware is PS7608. But when I go to LM and choose block updates it won't change. Says Unblocked. If I click disable system updates it just flashes and still says Unblocked.
    PS7608 is the latest firmware for the 4K Max. It must have downloaded an update during the setup process (or it shipped with PS7608?). Launcher Manager / Custom Launcher use isn't going to work after PS7273. Both the OTA and Amazon Launcher apps are protected on PS7608.

You can return the Stick, and get a new one. Then follow the guide on how to skip the registration update. In a nutshell, when you first start up the stick and connect to your WiFi it will say checking for updates. Disconnect your router, hold back+menu buttons for 5sec until the accessibility menu appears, press back again, and that skips the initial update. Then register the device. Download Launcher Manager, block updates.
    But I am using it... Launcher Manager and Wolf Launcher. No issues.... no delay when I press home, reboots into Wolf Launcher.
    In that case, I'm guessing you did avoid the registration update, installed LM + WL, but didn't successfully block updates. Then the device updated to PS7608.

LM+WL will keep working as is for now, as long as you don't disable WL / enable Amazon Launcher. If you do, Amazon Launcher can't be disabled again.

You have a few options, 1) get a new stick, block updates right away and keep the ability to disable/enable Amazon Launcher and OTA apps. 2) keep what you have and use a DNS blocker like Blokada to avoid any further updates 3) keep receiving updates and hope for the best, LM+WL will keep working as long as they don't push an update that force-enables Amazon Launcher.

A lot of people didn't block updates after PS7273 and are holding on to their LM+WL like your are now, and just hoping for the best, continuing to update their firmware.
    I now have a fire stick max, if I have the Wolf L installed, can I still use the Netflix and Disney buttons on the remote or will they no longer work?
    Yes channel buttons still function normally. Launcher Manager only indirectly remaps the home button, by setting a custom launcher (Wolf Launcher in your case).
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (FOS 6+)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your FireTV.
    (Latest: 1.1.6)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and select "Enable Custom Launcher".
    If you get "CONNECTION FAILED" then see INFO section.
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.
    If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", see INFO section.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.
    INFO:
    • If you get "CONNECTION FAILED", click on "OPEN ADB SETTINGS" and enable "ADB DEBUGGING" and Press BACK Button. If you still get this error Restart your Device (Long Press SELECT + PLAY/PAUSE Button)and disconnect from PC if Connected.
    • If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", it means you don't have a custom launcher Installed, just install the launcher and you'll be good to go, no need to enable stock.
    • You can only open some of the Settings using Launcher Manager, to Access All the Settings then you have to Disable Custom Launcher.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.1.5):

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Changelog:
    1.1.6 (02-Mar-22)

• Added Some more Translation
    • Added System apps to LMU Handler
    • Added Password protection for LM
    • Fixed app conflict issue
    • Fixed icon on Fireos 7
    • Added option to execute saved adb shell commands
    • Integrated Update Blocker in LM (Doesn't work with latest release of FireOS)
    1.1.5 (03-Jan-22)
    • Added German and Spanish Translation
    • Some Bug Fixes
    • Some minor changes
    • Ability to change Screensaver
    • Ability to change System Language (on Request)
    • Added / Changed some Icons
    • Some minor changes
    • Re-added option for Selecting any app as launcher (LM Handler), can be accessed within Launcher Options.
    • Added Keyboard Change Options (in Display & Sound section) (moved to Other Settings)
    • Reuploaded version
      • Fixed 4K detection for Display Resolution
      • Fixed Crash for Devices with non-usable overscan values
    • Added Display & Sounds Option (Display, Sounds, Overscan, CEC)
    • Changing Display Resolution requires System Restart
    • Fixed Equipment Control
    • Boot Delay is fixed by Amzon on newer Roms.
    • Settings from Amazon Hud opens Launcher Manager (On updating to 1.0.9 from older version its mendatory to click on "Enable Custom Launcher" just one time for this to work)
    • For the Devices with New Updated Amazon Interface
    • Removed Launcher Choices
    • Now using single key for all the apps. (Remove older version first to update the key.)
    • Delay is still there, needs logcat
    • In-app Updates
    • Fixed some bugs
    • Changed UI
    • Changed Package Name
    • Changed Install location to Internal Only
    • Added System and Developers Shortcut
    • Fixed issue where launcher is stuck sometimes
    • Added option to choose any Custom Launcher *
    • Can be Launched from Amazon Hud *
    * Needs Launcher Manager to be set as Default Launcher. (LM is auto selected)
    * If launched by Amazon HUD, Long press will open Launcher manager, press back to exit from there. (Fixed in 1.0.6)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FireOS Update Blocker (FOS 6+)
    This app can be used to Enable or Disable Amazon System Update.
    Update Blocker (Click to Download)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (Android TV)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your AndroidTV. (Latest: 1.0.4)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Enable Custom Launcher".
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.

• Added Custom Launcher support
    FIRETV SETTINGS (3.0)
    *ANY FIREOS (Version 71 or lower) or 6.2.8.0 with patched Accessibility
    pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    needed for proper working of this app

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW (not necessary for app working)
    needed to show mouse/package overlay

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS (needed for package overlay only when accessibility services are disabled) (not needed)

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    (needed for prime accessibility workaround) (prime workaround will disable accessibility services temporarily so prime video will auto hide the bar, it will restart the services once home button is pressed).

To start service for first time click on (START SERVICE) on Top Right.

To toggle mouse mode long press "Play/Pause", to scroll use Fast Forward/Rewind
    press menu button to switch scrolling direction.

Key Bindings:
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Long Press) = Traditional Amazon Menu
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Single Click) = Amazon Home
    Home (Long Press) = Shortcuts & App Drawer
    (In App Drawer) Long Press on Item = App option & Appstore link

Mouse functionality added from this source. MATVT (GitHub)

LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.0.7) (FOS5)

STEPS:

1. Steps to install app on FireTV
    Download Main File via this link Launcher Manager (FOS5)
    then install it on Your FireTV running FireOS 5

2. Steps to be setup the App

If you know how to use ADB then here are the commands
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    [OR]
    or you can download FireTV Toolbox
    install it on any Android device (not on the Main FireTV device)
    Enter the IP address of your FireTV in this app and click on Connect
    Click on "GO" button after "Setup Launcher Manager"
    it will auto launch the app on FireTV.
    Select the launcher of your choice and enable Launcher Detection, click on save.

FireTV Toolbox
    http://bit.ly/SWFTB16
    Launcher Manager (FireOS 5)
    http://bit.ly/SW5LM107
    custom launcher for Fire OS 6.2.8.7,

No Root Required​

install wolf or other custom launcher
    install total commander on amazon app store
    open, go to installed app, copy somewhere default launcher if you want(backup), after that delete default launcher.
    And now you can use custom launcher again.
    enjoy
    LAUNCHER MANAGER ULTIMATE

This app can disable Stock Launcher of Any Android TV (except anything running on Fireos 5), it requires Network Debugging to function.
    The way it works is it finds the stock launcher and disables it.
    It does that in a loop until "android" itself is set as default launcher.
    at this point if there are no Custom launchers are installed on the system then you will see only a black screen.
    So a custom launcher should be installed prior to enabling the custom launcher.

some apps also broadcasts themselves as launcher and if they are installed as system app and are set as default launcher then it will also disable them.
    some launcher integrates settings in them so disabling the launcher will disable settings also.
    the apps who broadcasts themselves as Fallback home will not be disabled.

There were certain cases where user uninstalled launcher and got blank screen, to mitigate that issue LMU will set itself as the launcher and call the other launchers on its behalf. so if the launcher is deleted then pressing the home button will launch LMU, from where you can disable custom launcher support.

If it detects that after disabling everything it doesn't reach the "android" itself and is unable to find a launcher then it will rollback itself, enabling every single thing it disabled.

Changes:
    Fixed Settings Shortcut for Amazon Hud.
    Fixed Disabling of "Android"

All other functionalities are similar to Launcher Manager from the First Post.
    Screenrecord:
    Launcher Manager Ultimate

PERMISSIONS MANAGER
    Version: 1.0.3 (1-Mar-22)

This app uses shell to grant or deny any permissions that an app requires.
    Usage:
    Select an app and click on it
    From the list of permission which you want to grant or deny the access and click ok
    select "Allow" or "Deny"
    DEBLOAT TOOLBOX (FireOS 6 & 7)
    Version: 5 (19-Jan-22)
    Debloat System Apps on FireOS 6 & 7
    This isn't a confidence-inspiring reply.

I don't actually care if you took an abandoned app and updated it making it your own, but the second half of your reply is just unnecessarily confrontational.

You could have just reassured me that your edits were safe, but you choose to be defensive instead.

I think I'll remove your launcher and look for something via the Play Store.

I've lost all confidence in Wolf Launcher.
    Look I'm gonna tell you and everyone what I've done with the launcher till now,
    I have changed the way it launches the app, on latest pro (any pro) it used to crash the apps.
    I fixed the title bar. I then optimized it for FireTV (not any other OS, which caused it to misbehave on some device) which i later fixed. Then some people were having trouble installing both ATV and Wolf simultanously. so i had to change package name which made me to change the launcher name also (that might have been wrong on my side). then i optimized the app once again for FireOS (it caused some freeze issue). Then to fix Setting of Amazon HUD (older version of FireOS), I had to add a code to handle settings (it only works on Amazon and no other device). I changed some sections to give user large wall (that was temporary fix). I removed some http links, but they are used either for update check or to change Network State in the launcher.
    Then i added "App Info" to the launcher, which i only added for non-system apps.
    Later i removed the large section mod and unlocked the widget for Firestick 4k.
    Then I added "Other Settings" which contained option to clear cache and Backup/ Restore function.
    i also added a code which starts the services of Launcher Manager (thats also mainly for FireOS and thats because of Boot Delay). I also added a stroke for tiles.
    thats all i have done to the apk. I have not done this mod to make any money, and i can assure you this app is safe to use. My only intention to mod this app was that this app was almost perfect and there was some bugs which i had to fix myself because the support of this launcher were down. And the only issue at that time was app crash for which i decided not to compile a launcher by myself. I am not forcing you to do anything, I am just clarifying myself, The apps which i have created are safe. and are to improve the user experience only.
    i do not like to or want to rip someone off. I started this mod for FireOS only and no other OS.
    Test boot delay on this.
    Enable custom launcher handler, select launcher from list, press home, select LM Custom launcher and click on always, reboot.

This will not work with protected packages