[APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 12135151

@Finnzz I have ordered my new 4k max and it is coming tomorrow so when it comes i'll follow the guide and instantly block the updates and then activate launch manager and remove the stock launcher

Reactions: Finnzz
D

Deleted member 12135151

@Finnzz I have ordered my new 4k max and it is coming tomorrow so when it comes i'll follow the guide and instantly block the updates and then activate launch manager and remove the stock launcher
I've done it thank you sooo much I've got rid of the stock launcher but just one question on the debloater what things like keep alexa on as I find it handy to use it

Reactions: Finnzz

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
I've done it thank you sooo much I've got rid of the stock launcher but just one question on the debloater what things like keep alexa on as I find it handy to use it
I don't disable much on my unit, so I don't have a list. I can only recommend downloading SweenWolf's debloat tool from the OP. I noticed that TecDoc is now inserting banner ads into Wolf's apps that he hosts on his site.

shrazy

Account currently disabled
Mar 6, 2013
GB
meettomy.site
Sorry if it's sound weird but how can I set up Wolflauncher on my now freshly rooted tank device? With LM still Amazon Launcher starts when pressing home button and when I deactivate Amazon launcher via adb I can not access settings.

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
Sorry if it's sound weird but how can I set up Wolflauncher on my now freshly rooted tank device? With LM still Amazon Launcher starts when pressing home button and when I deactivate Amazon launcher via adb I can not access settings.
TANK is FireOS 5 (Android 5.1), LM works best with FireOS 6 & 7 (Android 7.1 & Android 9). As far as I know FireOS 5 works with delay, so pressing home will go to FTV-Launcher for 5+ seconds before swithing to an alternate launcher. I would set all the settings before disabling the FTV-Launcher. Most of the settings are set once and forget about them.

Ask in the "Root Tank" forum thread, maybe there is another way to reprogram the Home_button.

Last edited:
Reactions: shrazy
D

Deleted member 12135151

Hi I've got a question.
Does the firmware affect my insternet speed and if it does can I update and still keep my custom launcher

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Hi I've got a question.
Does the firmware affect my insternet speed and if it does can I update and still keep my custom launcher

Whenever Amazon makes changes, it's always theoretically possible that something they've changed would affect your Internet speed, but it's not likely. If you update, you lose the ability to set the custom launcher.

Noisemaker00

Apr 9, 2013
hi guys,
I have a 4K rooted firestick, if I want to change stock launcher can I simply install the apk then I disable the kftv launcher with pm and root access? Or this will cause issues?
Another question: wich launcher do u suggest? I read some of them are not developed anymore

grebarne

Mar 23, 2012
Sony Tablet S
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi with a command adb in the launcher L.M.M 1.0.0.7 you can use the wolf launcher by default and you can all update and thé firmware update tested on fire tv 4k and 4k max.

adb shell
pm uninstall com.amazon.tv.launcher

And that s it.
Thanks to RICKLaR

Last edited:
Reactions: Sebama

mmortal03

Apr 15, 2014
Reactions: Sebama

andreluigo

Jun 1, 2013
Patch - 6.2.8.9 (mantis / Firestick 4k) [Final]

Added recents Support to CLH (Double press Home to open shortcuts)

NOTE:
Needs NS6289 to work
Needs Patched boot image, either flash attached boot.img or just install magisk
I have a Fire Stick 4K with FireOS 6.2.8.9 (NS6289) and tried all methods using LM but didn't work...
How can i use this way (files)?

PuckBass

Jan 26, 2021
TANK is FireOS 5 (Android 5.1), LM works best with FireOS 6 & 7 (Android 7.1 & Android 9). As far as I know FireOS 5 works with delay, so pressing home will go to FTV-Launcher for 5+ seconds before swithing to an alternate launcher. I would set all the settings before disabling the FTV-Launcher. Most of the settings are set once and forget about them.

Ask in the "Root Tank" forum thread, maybe there is another way to reprogram the Home_button.
if you are actually root on tank then the best and only way is custom rom!

Reactions: RiCkLaR

RiCkLaR

Dec 4, 2018
I have a Fire Stick 4K with FireOS 6.2.8.9 (NS6289) and tried all methods using LM but didn't work...
How can i use this way (files)?
You could only use those "files" if you have a ROOTED 4K-Stick.

Is this your first time using LM ? If so, the latest firmware builds like (NS6289/3905) have protected packages, which prevents LM from disabling the necessary system apks to change the launcher.

Toronadian

Apr 17, 2013
For Wolf Launcher on the Firestick 4K Max, which runs on OS7, is it possible to have the an empty section not have the words "This section is empty, move apps into this section"? On my Firestick 4K (non-Max), if I have an empty section, it just stays blank without the extra words. I want there to be a blank space (Therefore I can't just select "hide section"), just without the words

Kind of like around 10:14 of this video, those words in the empty "Settings" section.

In an older TechDoctorUK video that he does on Wolf Launcher on the Firestick 4K non-max (running on OS6), he creates an empty section that stays blank without any words. Shows it around 7:42 of this video:

wha1eve1

Mar 11, 2017
Patch - 6.2.8.9 (mantis / Firestick 4k) [Final]

Added recents Support to CLH (Double press Home to open shortcuts)

NOTE:
Needs NS6289 to work
Needs Patched boot image, either flash attached boot.img or just install magisk
Hi SweenWolf, Currently I have 6.2.8.1_r3 installed. So what is the correct sequence to flash 6.2.8.9 with your patch.
Is the following workflow correct?

1. flash your modified boot.img in fastboot on 6.2.8.1_r3 and there should be only one boot partition for mantis right?
2. reboot into twrp and flash 6.2.8.9
3. before reboot flash your patch for 6.2.8.9

Thank you for your time and help.

SweenWolf

Hi SweenWolf, Currently I have 6.2.8.1_r3 installed. So what is the correct sequence to flash 6.2.8.9 with your patch.
watch the video to create a new TWRP flashable image.

Written steps:
  1. download latest bin file. (e.g. mantis.bin)
  2. download some archive tool (e.g. 7-zip)
  3. rename the bin extension to zip (e.g. mantis.zip)
  4. open "mantis.zip" using "7-zip" and delete all folders from zip file
  5. now open "Scripts.zip" and extract it (download from attachment)
  6. put the extracted folder "META-INF" into "mantis.zip"
  7. put patched boot.img into "mantis.zip"
now you can simply flash the "mantis.zip" files in TWRP
Is the following workflow correct?
NO.
1. flash your modified boot.img in fastboot on 6.2.8.1_r3 and there should be only one boot partition for mantis right?
Doing this WILL brick your stick. Never flash any boot or recovery image using Fastboot, use TWRP to do that.

Usually a boot.img is to be flashed along with the os image itself, but it can be flashed after os installation and not prior to it (and before any reboot)
if you flashed mantis.zip using twrp then flash boot.img right after that (you should not reboot before that)

IN THIS CASE WE ARE PUTTING THE PATCHED BOOT.IMG INSIDE THE OS IMAGE SO NO NEED TO FLASH IT MANUALLY.
2. reboot into twrp and flash 6.2.8.9
3. before reboot flash your patch for 6.2.8.9

Thank you for your time and help.

Just follow the instructions, create a modified OS image, flash the image using TWRP and reboot.

after that you can simply flash anything you like e.g. magisk or pathces.

Attachments

• Scripts.zip
    484.4 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Sus_i and wha1eve1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Workaround for Custom Launcher (will have a 5 second delay while switching)

I recently bought a brand new Fire TV Lite (so I now have 2 FTV's the 4K Max on the lounge room TV and the Lite on the bedroom TV). I managed to get Launcher Manager running perfectly on the FTV Lite, which runs 7.6.6.9 firmware. I can also run Mouse Toggle etc with no problems. I assume this would work on a brand new 4K or 4K Max as well. Note you must have a brand new FTV that has never had any firmware updates.

This is how I managed it:​
    1. Before I connected the new FTV Lite for the first time, I made sure the following were blocked on my router:

amzdigital-a.akamaihd.net
      amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net
      d1s31zyz7dcc2d.cloudfront.net
      softwareupdates.amazon.com
      updates.amazon.com

Leave these blocked on your router; never connect your FTV to the router unless these are blocked. If you do, there is a high chance an update will push through, permanently preventing your access to
    2. Connected the FTV Lite for the first time out of the box, and connected to WiFi, and going through setup process.
    3. FTV Lite should get stuck indefinitely when trying to search for updates. At this point press and hold BACK and MENU buttons on the remote for a few seconds. Voice Assist menu will appear on the screen. Wait a few seconds, and then press BACK button again to return to setup; it shoudl skip the firmware update process. Continue with the setup (eg logging in to your Amazon account etc).
    4. Once you've completed the setup process, and you're at the default FTV menu, go through the normal process of enabling ADB (go to About menu, click 7 times on the firmware version etc.
    5. Now you can install Downloader, and use it to install Mouse Toggle, Launcher Manager 1.1.9 etc. and everything should work.
    VERY IMPORTANT: I can't emphasise enough to never unblock the above URLs on your router. If you need to reset your router settings etc., I would recommend to unplug the power to your FTV first. After resetting your router or whatever, make sure the above URLs are blocked before reconnecting your FTV to the network.

Hope this helps!
    Workaround for Custom Launcher (will have a 5 second delay while switching)

Really appreciate both this and all your great work over the years. Amazon are now calling your launcher manager harmful so they're blatantly lying. Disgraceful. In the meantime if there are any improved fixes/workarounds they would be most welcome.
    How exactly is Amazon detecting the adb debugger? I was thinking maybe we could trick it by using port forwarding on a router? App sends the data out on one port, but router sends it back on another. We know external debug still works...
    How exactly is Amazon detecting the adb debugger? I was thinking maybe we could trick it by using port forwarding on a router? App sends the data out on one port, but router sends it back on another. We know external debug still works...
    amazon is actually using the adb deamon to check if the address is local or remote. The block is now a part of Android Boot Image instead of Android System Image.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (FOS 6+)
    BLOCKED BY AMAZON, USE LAUNCHER MANAGER (MINI)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    Before installing version 1.1.8 uninstall any previous version.
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your FireTV.
    (Latest: 1.1.8)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and go to "Home Button Hook".
    Enable "Home Button Hook" and "Use ADB for Home" then select Trigger of your choice.
    4. Go to previous menu, then go to "Custom Launcher Options" and select "Active Launcher"
    to select launcher of your choice.
    5. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO DISABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    To Disable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and go to "Home Button Hook",
    Disable "Home Button Hook" and "Use ADB for Home".
    INFO:
    • If you get "CONNECTION FAILED", click on "OPEN ADB SETTINGS" and enable "ADB DEBUGGING" and Press BACK Button. If you still get this error Restart your Device (Long Press SELECT + PLAY/PAUSE Button) and disconnect from PC if Connected.
    • If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", it means you don't have a custom launcher Installed, just install the launcher and you'll be good to go, no need to enable stock.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.1.5):

Credits:
    @Finnzz

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (Android TV)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your AndroidTV. (Latest: 1.0.4)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Enable Custom Launcher".
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.

• Added Custom Launcher support
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    FIRETV SETTINGS (3.0)
    *ANY FIREOS (Version 71 or lower) or 6.2.8.0 with patched Accessibility
    pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    needed for proper working of this app

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW (not necessary for app working)
    needed to show mouse/package overlay

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS (needed for package overlay only when accessibility services are disabled) (not needed)

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    (needed for prime accessibility workaround) (prime workaround will disable accessibility services temporarily so prime video will auto hide the bar, it will restart the services once home button is pressed).

To start service for first time click on (START SERVICE) on Top Right.

To toggle mouse mode long press "Play/Pause", to scroll use Fast Forward/Rewind
    press menu button to switch scrolling direction.

Key Bindings:
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Long Press) = Traditional Amazon Menu
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Single Click) = Amazon Home
    Home (Long Press) = Shortcuts & App Drawer
    (In App Drawer) Long Press on Item = App option & Appstore link

Mouse functionality added from this source. MATVT (GitHub)

LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.0.7) (FOS5)

STEPS:

1. Steps to install app on FireTV
    Download Main File via this link Launcher Manager (FOS5)
    then install it on Your FireTV running FireOS 5

2. Steps to be setup the App

If you know how to use ADB then here are the commands
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    [OR]
    or you can download FireTV Toolbox
    install it on any Android device (not on the Main FireTV device)
    Enter the IP address of your FireTV in this app and click on Connect
    Click on "GO" button after "Setup Launcher Manager"
    it will auto launch the app on FireTV.
    Select the launcher of your choice and enable Launcher Detection, click on save.

FireTV Toolbox
    http://bit.ly/SWFTB16
    Launcher Manager (FireOS 5)
    http://bit.ly/SW5LM107

LAUNCHER MANAGER (MINI)

STEPS:

1. Steps to install app on FireTV
    Download Main File via this link Launcher Manager (Mini)
    then install it on Your FireTV

2. Steps to be setup the App

If you know how to use ADB then here are the commands
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.minilm android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.minilm android.permission.READ_LOGS
    adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.wolf.minilm
    [OR]
    or you can download FireTV Toolbox (LM Mini)
    install it on any Android device (not on the Main FireTV device)
    Enter the IP address of your FireTV in this app and click on Connect
    Click on "GO" button after "Setup Launcher Manager (Mini)"
    it will auto launch the app on FireTV.

Select Custom Launcher
    Enable Custom Launcher

Reboot your Device once after giving permissions
    LAUNCHER MANAGER ULTIMATE

This app can disable Stock Launcher of Any Android TV (except anything running on Fireos 5), it requires Network Debugging to function.
    The way it works is it finds the stock launcher and disables it.
    It does that in a loop until "android" itself is set as default launcher.
    at this point if there are no Custom launchers are installed on the system then you will see only a black screen.
    So a custom launcher should be installed prior to enabling the custom launcher.

some apps also broadcasts themselves as launcher and if they are installed as system app and are set as default launcher then it will also disable them.
    some launcher integrates settings in them so disabling the launcher will disable settings also.
    the apps who broadcasts themselves as Fallback home will not be disabled.

There were certain cases where user uninstalled launcher and got blank screen, to mitigate that issue LMU will set itself as the launcher and call the other launchers on its behalf. so if the launcher is deleted then pressing the home button will launch LMU, from where you can disable custom launcher support.

If it detects that after disabling everything it doesn't reach the "android" itself and is unable to find a launcher then it will rollback itself, enabling every single thing it disabled.

Changes:
    Fixed Settings Shortcut for Amazon Hud.
    Fixed Disabling of "Android"

All other functionalities are similar to Launcher Manager from the First Post.
    Screenrecord:
    Launcher Manager Ultimate

PERMISSIONS MANAGER
    Version: 1.0.3 (1-Mar-22)

This app uses shell to grant or deny any permissions that an app requires.
    Usage:
    Select an app and click on it
    From the list of permission which you want to grant or deny the access and click ok
    select "Allow" or "Deny"
    DEBLOAT TOOLBOX (FireOS 6 & 7)
    Version: 5 (19-Jan-22)
    Debloat System Apps on FireOS 6 & 7
    custom launcher for Fire OS 6.2.8.7,

No Root Required​

install wolf or other custom launcher
    install total commander on amazon app store
    open, go to installed app, copy somewhere default launcher if you want(backup), after that delete default launcher.
    And now you can use custom launcher again.
    enjoy
    This isn't a confidence-inspiring reply.

I don't actually care if you took an abandoned app and updated it making it your own, but the second half of your reply is just unnecessarily confrontational.

You could have just reassured me that your edits were safe, but you choose to be defensive instead.

I think I'll remove your launcher and look for something via the Play Store.

I've lost all confidence in Wolf Launcher.
    Look I'm gonna tell you and everyone what I've done with the launcher till now,
    I have changed the way it launches the app, on latest pro (any pro) it used to crash the apps.
    I fixed the title bar. I then optimized it for FireTV (not any other OS, which caused it to misbehave on some device) which i later fixed. Then some people were having trouble installing both ATV and Wolf simultanously. so i had to change package name which made me to change the launcher name also (that might have been wrong on my side). then i optimized the app once again for FireOS (it caused some freeze issue). Then to fix Setting of Amazon HUD (older version of FireOS), I had to add a code to handle settings (it only works on Amazon and no other device). I changed some sections to give user large wall (that was temporary fix). I removed some http links, but they are used either for update check or to change Network State in the launcher.
    Then i added "App Info" to the launcher, which i only added for non-system apps.
    Later i removed the large section mod and unlocked the widget for Firestick 4k.
    Then I added "Other Settings" which contained option to clear cache and Backup/ Restore function.
    i also added a code which starts the services of Launcher Manager (thats also mainly for FireOS and thats because of Boot Delay). I also added a stroke for tiles.
    thats all i have done to the apk. I have not done this mod to make any money, and i can assure you this app is safe to use. My only intention to mod this app was that this app was almost perfect and there was some bugs which i had to fix myself because the support of this launcher were down. And the only issue at that time was app crash for which i decided not to compile a launcher by myself. I am not forcing you to do anything, I am just clarifying myself, The apps which i have created are safe. and are to improve the user experience only.
    i do not like to or want to rip someone off. I started this mod for FireOS only and no other OS.
    Hey guys, been a long time.
    So here are the two apps, both can be recompiled.
    com.wolf.lm1 was directly compiled whereas com.amazon.launcherm was decompiled then edited and recompiled, so it (com.amazon.launcherm) will be triggered in VirusTotal, it was done just for checking.
    For anyone wondering if I has add a signature verification to it, well it was actually a unfinished code. so that there will be two RSA fingerprints instead of one depending on the Signature itself. which is fixed in the following releases (these are in beta) and if resigned will created a RSA fingerprint of 7B:F1:86:17:09:EF:0A:B8:64:59:63:59:63:13:A7:7A:1A:2A instead of my main one.
    Anyone is free to decompile and redistribute the app (please just don't add malware to it)

the overlay code has a bug so it is disabled, so the button will no do anything (well it shouldn't)

[EDIT] I have not checked any post in the forum for a long time. Gotta go now, bye.