[APP][FIRETV][NOROOT] Launcher Manager (Change Launcher without Root)

Search This thread

xnappo

Aug 15, 2003
Hello,

Now, this is OK. Home button launchs Wolf !!!!! 🍾

Effectively, Termux+Tasker solution is faster than Launch Manager Hook solution (between 1 to 2s vs 2 to 5s).
And Launcher Manager is regulary deactivated by Amazon !

Any way through Tasker to launcher Wolf automatically at start-up ?
Yes, but let's move this out of this thread. I will answer in the Tasker thread.

Reactions: pitsensas

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Effectively, Termux+Tasker solution is faster than Launch Manager Hook solution (between 1 to 2s vs 2 to 5s).
And Launcher Manager is regulary deactivated by Amazon !
It only takes 2-5sec with LM if you are not using 'Use ADB for Home'. It should be less than 1/2sec.

The LM ADB method is doing the same thing as Tasker, but without the extra setup. The extra complexity may be enough that Amazon ignores Tasker, for now.

pitsensas

Jan 20, 2011
It only takes 2-5sec with LM if you are not using 'Use ADB for Home'. It should be less than 1/2sec.

The LM ADB method is doing the same thing as Tasker, but without the extra setup. The extra complexity may be enough that Amazon ignores Tasker, for now.

Why You didn't said it before !!!!! :giggle:

Now, I can not test due to an error with ADB debugging. I don't know if this is due Termux+Tasker or if this is due the cloning of LM 1.1.8 through this method : https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-clonemyapp-android-apk-cloner.4513777/#post-87668059.

Because each 2 days, Amazon removes LM 1.18 !!!!

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Why You didn't said it before !!!!! :giggle:

Now, I can not test due to an error with ADB debugging. I don't know if this is due Termux+Tasker or if this is due the cloning of LM 1.1.8 through this method : https://xdaforums.com/t/tool-clonemyapp-android-apk-cloner.4513777/#post-87668059.

Because each 2 days, Amazon removes LM 1.18 !!!!
Sorry, I didn't know you were experiencing a delay.

You can't clone LM, it breaks the ADB function.

Considering LM is getting uninstalled after a certain amount of time suggests that Amazon is communicating those instructions to the FireTV, and you need to block that.

I use LM on my cube and it's never been uninstalled. My best guess is because I've disabled com.amazon.arcus.proxy like in the instructions here

You can't disable that app without root, but you can firewall it so that Amazon can't communicate with it. Try RethinkDNS, you can also use it to firewall / block the OTA app. RethinkDNS and a VPN can't be used simultaneously, it's one of the other.

I haven't tested this, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

pitsensas

Jan 20, 2011

Considering LM is getting uninstalled after a certain amount of time suggests that Amazon is communicating those instructions to the FireTV, and you need to block that.

I use LM on my cube and it's never been uninstalled. My best guess is because I've disabled com.amazon.arcus.proxy like in the instructions here

You can't disable that app without root, but you can firewall it so that Amazon can't communicate with it. Try RethinkDNS, you can also use it to firewall / block the OTA app. RethinkDNS and a VPN can't be used simultaneously, it's one of the other.

Do you know if previous versions of LM are also removed by Amazon after a certain time ?

Because I only use it to access to the settings menu of the FireTV ?
Else if, this is not a big issue because I was tinking to use vocal command to open, the settings menu !

Last question :
I have read that debloat the fireTV will speed-up the tasker solution. What do you think about this ?
I'm little bit afraid about this operation. Do you know if I use the "Debloat Toolbox (FireOS 6 & 7).apk", I can go back if I have some troubles ?

Thanks again for your support

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
Do you know if previous versions of LM are also removed by Amazon after a certain time ?

I have read that debloat the fireTV will speed-up the tasker solution. What do you think about this ?
I'm little bit afraid about this operation. Do you know if I use the "Debloat Toolbox (FireOS 6 & 7).apk", I can go back if I have some troubles ?
The assumption is that LM is being disabled based on package name, which doesn't change by version. I haven't tested it though.

Disabling packages should always be done cautiously if you don't know what the package does. Some are more important that others, and could lead to the device no longer booting up properly. Disabling some apps may cause other apps to malfunction, and slow down your device. In most instances you can still connect to the device with a USB ADB connection to re-enable apps if the device doesn't boot.

Disabling apps may help speed up the device a little, but likely not as much as people think.

Reactions: pitsensas

graffix420

Dec 21, 2021
Would their be any possibility of releasing a copy of LM that has a package name randomizer? I also tried to change the package name myself, which resulted in the ADB error. I was able to block it from being uninstalled by adding blacklisting firetvcaptiveportal.com. The problem was, with the url blocked, the firesticks time would go out of sync, and refused to update via NTP, I would also receive the "Home is unavailable" message, but I could launch wolf with the home button.

Last edited:

rcal.ftd

Jul 9, 2022
Amazon Fire TV
Anyone else having an issue with the 1.1.8 launch manager? Everytime i install it, it disappears like a day or two after. I dont uninstall it. It just disappears but it is still on my stick. When it disappears it stops working. I go to install it again and i get the update option. Thats how i know when it disappears it doesnt uninstall. Anyone having this issue or have a fix for it? Its getting frustrating lol

tp11075

May 10, 2023
Anyone else having an issue with the 1.1.8 launch manager? Everytime i install it, it disappears like a day or two after. I dont uninstall it. It just disappears but it is still on my stick. When it disappears it stops working. I go to install it again and i get the update option. Thats how i know when it disappears it doesnt uninstall. Anyone having this issue or have a fix for it? Its getting frustrating lol
Yes, this is the issue everyone is having if you read the previous posts. Amazon's big brother servers check every night for unauthorized things such as the LM app and will remove it but the installer will remain in your stick, if you didn't delete it after installing it. If you have the original firmware and stopped it from updating immediately then it might still work but for newer firmware, you can't go back in time, unfortunately. But pitsensas says that he found a way to keep it from uninstalling for 7 days. We are not sure if he is talking about somehow blocking OTA or a copy (possibly renamed?) without blocking anything so we are awaiting how this was done so we may try it out ourselves. I have installed Rethink DNS + Firewall and will see if I can firewall the arcus proxy app to see if that might work as Finnzz suggested to try.

Last edited:

Jerri1240

Oct 27, 2015
The FireCube v3 allows me to connect my switch to the back and save a HDMI port. I don’t play my switch on the TV very often so just realised I have no idea how to switch to that input using this launcher.

Anyone know how to do that using launcher manager and wolf launcher?

Reactions: mmortal03

Skel40

Dec 27, 2019
Moto G 5G
The FireCube v3 allows me to connect my switch to the back and save a HDMI port. I don’t play my switch on the TV very often so just realised I have no idea how to switch to that input using this launcher.

Anyone know how to do that using launcher manager and wolf launcher?
I'm having the same issue here also. I'd have to disable the launcher i.e (Wolf Launcher) to get on the main launcher and it shows the setting. Launcher Manager would need an update to add that setting for the Cube V3

glxnotetony

Jan 31, 2013

How do u disable com.amazon.arcus.proxy. I use mullvad and pihole. Not sure how to block. Any help is grateful.

Finnzz

Sep 26, 2017
How do u disable com.amazon.arcus.proxy. I use mullvad and pihole. Not sure how to block. Any help is grateful.
I haven't tested this personally, but it's worth a shot. You can use a firewall app like RethinkDNS to block Internet access to individual apps. Use this to firewall the com.amazon.arcus.proxy app. I think RethinkDNS logs the domains that it has blocked, so you may be able to use it to determine what server addresses arcus proxy is trying to communicate with, and later block them with pihole.

After firewalling it, also clear the data (pm clear com.amazon.arcus.proxy).

If it's actually another app on the FireTV that gets the app ban information, and it relays it to arcus proxy, this might not work. With RethinkDNS you can play around with blocking internet to various apps to narrow it down. I have seen a couple other suggestions for apps that may be involved like nihm, but I'd start with arcus proxy.

Reactions: tp11075

tp11075

May 10, 2023
I haven't tested this personally, but it's worth a shot. You can use a firewall app like RethinkDNS to block Internet access to individual apps. Use this to firewall the com.amazon.arcus.proxy app. I think RethinkDNS logs the domains that it has blocked, so you may be able to use it to determine what server addresses arcus proxy is trying to communicate with, and later block them with pihole.

After firewalling it, also clear the data (pm clear com.amazon.arcus.proxy).

If it's actually another app on the FireTV that gets the app ban information, and it relays it to arcus proxy, this might not work. With RethinkDNS you can play around with blocking internet to various apps to narrow it down. I have seen a couple other suggestions for apps that may be involved like nihm, but I'd start with arcus proxy.

THIS is exactly what I did based on your advice back on May 23rd and right now it's past DAY 2 and so far so good on my firestick 4K!! LM 1.1.8 working like a charm with Wolf Launcher launching automatically.

In RethinkDNS + Firewall the app is actualled named "Arcus Proxy" so you just need to block both unmetered and metered traffic from accessing it. But I found you also need to make sure to use the system DNS and not Rethink's DNS or it might prevent some apps from accessing the net. Well, in my case, I also have OpenVPN setup on my router with custom DNS so that might be the thing conflicting with Rethink's DNS but you can just disable that as I did.

I'll report in a few days to see if it's still working or if I need to block other apps and/or IPs. If others can try and report it, we can figure out if this is a permanent solution! Thanks Finnzz for the suggestion!!

PS My $20 ONN TV box which I discussed previously is also working great with LM/WL for regular apps but just don't like that A12 prevents IPTV apps from allowing you a choice to select the default app for YT links which is why the older firestick is much better for now as IPTV is the most used app in my case.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just tried it without netguard running and it tried to start a update so sorry seems it was netguard blocking,
    I put netguard on a while ago so think it's blocked the updates that locked out adb for some apks,
    Sorry for earlier post should have done my testing first,
    My 4K max has the 7.6.5.2 software,
    Do you guys think buying a fire stick from somewhere like Staples will get one of the unprotected/older firmware firesticks?
    Personally I wouldn't bother with Fire sticks anymore. Amazon have shown total contempt for their customers with these updates and this is just the start. No doubt side loading will be next to go, sooner rather than later. Voting with our feet is the best advice I can give and to look for alternatives.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (FOS 6+)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    Before installing version 1.1.8 uninstall any previous version.
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your FireTV.
    (Latest: 1.1.8)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and go to "Home Button Hook".
    Enable "Home Button Hook" and "Use ADB for Home" then select Trigger of your choice.
    4. Go to previous menu, then go to "Custom Launcher Options" and select "Active Launcher"
    to select launcher of your choice.
    5. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO DISABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    To Disable Custom Launcher, Click on "Launcher Options" and go to "Home Button Hook",
    Disable "Home Button Hook" and "Use ADB for Home".
    INFO:
    • If you get "CONNECTION FAILED", click on "OPEN ADB SETTINGS" and enable "ADB DEBUGGING" and Press BACK Button. If you still get this error Restart your Device (Long Press SELECT + PLAY/PAUSE Button) and disconnect from PC if Connected.
    • If your Current Launcher says "Launcher Manager", it means you don't have a custom launcher Installed, just install the launcher and you'll be good to go, no need to enable stock.
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.1.5):

Credits:
    @Finnzz

Changelog:
    1.1.8 (14-Mar-23)

• Uses ADB to launch Home
    1.1.6 (02-Mar-22)
    • Added Some more Translation
    • Added System apps to LMU Handler
    • Added Password protection for LM
    • Fixed app conflict issue
    • Fixed icon on Fireos 7
    • Added option to execute saved adb shell commands
    • Integrated Update Blocker in LM (Doesn't work with latest release of FireOS)
    1.1.5 (03-Jan-22)
    • Added German and Spanish Translation
    • Some Bug Fixes
    • Some minor changes
    • Ability to change Screensaver
    • Ability to change System Language (on Request)
    • Added / Changed some Icons
    • Some minor changes
    • Re-added option for Selecting any app as launcher (LM Handler), can be accessed within Launcher Options.
    • Added Keyboard Change Options (in Display & Sound section) (moved to Other Settings)
    • Reuploaded version
      • Fixed 4K detection for Display Resolution
      • Fixed Crash for Devices with non-usable overscan values
    • Added Display & Sounds Option (Display, Sounds, Overscan, CEC)
    • Changing Display Resolution requires System Restart
    • Fixed Equipment Control
    • Boot Delay is fixed by Amzon on newer Roms.
    • Settings from Amazon Hud opens Launcher Manager (On updating to 1.0.9 from older version its mendatory to click on "Enable Custom Launcher" just one time for this to work)
    • For the Devices with New Updated Amazon Interface
    • Removed Launcher Choices
    • Now using single key for all the apps. (Remove older version first to update the key.)
    • Delay is still there, needs logcat
    • In-app Updates
    • Fixed some bugs
    • Changed UI
    • Changed Package Name
    • Changed Install location to Internal Only
    • Added System and Developers Shortcut
    • Fixed issue where launcher is stuck sometimes
    • Added option to choose any Custom Launcher *
    • Can be Launched from Amazon Hud *
    * Needs Launcher Manager to be set as Default Launcher. (LM is auto selected)
    * If launched by Amazon HUD, Long press will open Launcher manager, press back to exit from there. (Fixed in 1.0.6)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FireOS Update Blocker (FOS 6+)
    This app can be used to Enable or Disable Amazon System Update.
    Update Blocker (Click to Download)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    LAUNCHER MANAGER (Android TV)
    STEPS TO ENABLE CUSTOM LAUNCHER:
    1. Download Launcher Manager by clicking or by using short link and install on your AndroidTV. (Latest: 1.0.4)
    2. Install a Custom Launcher and then open Launcher Manager.
    3. To Enable Custom Launcher, Click on "Enable Custom Launcher".
    4. Press [Home] to open your custom launcher.

STEPS TO GO STOCK:
    Click on "Disable Custom Launcher", press Home.

• Added Custom Launcher support
    FIRETV SETTINGS (3.0)
    *ANY FIREOS (Version 71 or lower) or 6.2.8.0 with patched Accessibility
    pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS
    needed for proper working of this app

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW (not necessary for app working)
    needed to show mouse/package overlay

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.PACKAGE_USAGE_STATS (needed for package overlay only when accessibility services are disabled) (not needed)

pm grant com.wolf.firetvsettings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    (needed for prime accessibility workaround) (prime workaround will disable accessibility services temporarily so prime video will auto hide the bar, it will restart the services once home button is pressed).

To start service for first time click on (START SERVICE) on Top Right.

To toggle mouse mode long press "Play/Pause", to scroll use Fast Forward/Rewind
    press menu button to switch scrolling direction.

Key Bindings:
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Long Press) = Traditional Amazon Menu
    Menu (Long Press) + Home (Single Click) = Amazon Home
    Home (Long Press) = Shortcuts & App Drawer
    (In App Drawer) Long Press on Item = App option & Appstore link

Mouse functionality added from this source. MATVT (GitHub)

LAUNCHER MANAGER (1.0.7) (FOS5)

STEPS:

1. Steps to install app on FireTV
    Download Main File via this link Launcher Manager (FOS5)
    then install it on Your FireTV running FireOS 5

2. Steps to be setup the App

If you know how to use ADB then here are the commands
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW
    adb shell pm grant com.wolf.fos5.settings android.permission.READ_LOGS
    [OR]
    or you can download FireTV Toolbox
    install it on any Android device (not on the Main FireTV device)
    Enter the IP address of your FireTV in this app and click on Connect
    Click on "GO" button after "Setup Launcher Manager"
    it will auto launch the app on FireTV.
    Select the launcher of your choice and enable Launcher Detection, click on save.

FireTV Toolbox
    http://bit.ly/SWFTB16
    Launcher Manager (FireOS 5)
    http://bit.ly/SW5LM107
    LAUNCHER MANAGER ULTIMATE

This app can disable Stock Launcher of Any Android TV (except anything running on Fireos 5), it requires Network Debugging to function.
    The way it works is it finds the stock launcher and disables it.
    It does that in a loop until "android" itself is set as default launcher.
    at this point if there are no Custom launchers are installed on the system then you will see only a black screen.
    So a custom launcher should be installed prior to enabling the custom launcher.

some apps also broadcasts themselves as launcher and if they are installed as system app and are set as default launcher then it will also disable them.
    some launcher integrates settings in them so disabling the launcher will disable settings also.
    the apps who broadcasts themselves as Fallback home will not be disabled.

There were certain cases where user uninstalled launcher and got blank screen, to mitigate that issue LMU will set itself as the launcher and call the other launchers on its behalf. so if the launcher is deleted then pressing the home button will launch LMU, from where you can disable custom launcher support.

If it detects that after disabling everything it doesn't reach the "android" itself and is unable to find a launcher then it will rollback itself, enabling every single thing it disabled.

Changes:
    Fixed Settings Shortcut for Amazon Hud.
    Fixed Disabling of "Android"

All other functionalities are similar to Launcher Manager from the First Post.
    Screenrecord:
    Launcher Manager Ultimate

PERMISSIONS MANAGER
    Version: 1.0.3 (1-Mar-22)

This app uses shell to grant or deny any permissions that an app requires.
    Usage:
    Select an app and click on it
    From the list of permission which you want to grant or deny the access and click ok
    select "Allow" or "Deny"
    DEBLOAT TOOLBOX (FireOS 6 & 7)
    Version: 5 (19-Jan-22)
    Debloat System Apps on FireOS 6 & 7
    custom launcher for Fire OS 6.2.8.7,

No Root Required​

install wolf or other custom launcher
    install total commander on amazon app store
    open, go to installed app, copy somewhere default launcher if you want(backup), after that delete default launcher.
    And now you can use custom launcher again.
    enjoy
    This isn't a confidence-inspiring reply.

I don't actually care if you took an abandoned app and updated it making it your own, but the second half of your reply is just unnecessarily confrontational.

You could have just reassured me that your edits were safe, but you choose to be defensive instead.

I think I'll remove your launcher and look for something via the Play Store.

I've lost all confidence in Wolf Launcher.
    Look I'm gonna tell you and everyone what I've done with the launcher till now,
    I have changed the way it launches the app, on latest pro (any pro) it used to crash the apps.
    I fixed the title bar. I then optimized it for FireTV (not any other OS, which caused it to misbehave on some device) which i later fixed. Then some people were having trouble installing both ATV and Wolf simultanously. so i had to change package name which made me to change the launcher name also (that might have been wrong on my side). then i optimized the app once again for FireOS (it caused some freeze issue). Then to fix Setting of Amazon HUD (older version of FireOS), I had to add a code to handle settings (it only works on Amazon and no other device). I changed some sections to give user large wall (that was temporary fix). I removed some http links, but they are used either for update check or to change Network State in the launcher.
    Then i added "App Info" to the launcher, which i only added for non-system apps.
    Later i removed the large section mod and unlocked the widget for Firestick 4k.
    Then I added "Other Settings" which contained option to clear cache and Backup/ Restore function.
    i also added a code which starts the services of Launcher Manager (thats also mainly for FireOS and thats because of Boot Delay). I also added a stroke for tiles.
    thats all i have done to the apk. I have not done this mod to make any money, and i can assure you this app is safe to use. My only intention to mod this app was that this app was almost perfect and there was some bugs which i had to fix myself because the support of this launcher were down. And the only issue at that time was app crash for which i decided not to compile a launcher by myself. I am not forcing you to do anything, I am just clarifying myself, The apps which i have created are safe. and are to improve the user experience only.
    i do not like to or want to rip someone off. I started this mod for FireOS only and no other OS.
    Hey guys, been a long time.
    So here are the two apps, both can be recompiled.
    com.wolf.lm1 was directly compiled whereas com.amazon.launcherm was decompiled then edited and recompiled, so it (com.amazon.launcherm) will be triggered in VirusTotal, it was done just for checking.
    For anyone wondering if I has add a signature verification to it, well it was actually a unfinished code. so that there will be two RSA fingerprints instead of one depending on the Signature itself. which is fixed in the following releases (these are in beta) and if resigned will created a RSA fingerprint of 7B:F1:86:17:09:EF:0A:B8:64:59:63:59:63:13:A7:7A:1A:2A instead of my main one.
    Anyone is free to decompile and redistribute the app (please just don't add malware to it)

the overlay code has a bug so it is disabled, so the button will no do anything (well it shouldn't)

[EDIT] I have not checked any post in the forum for a long time. Gotta go now, bye.