[APP][FREE][Android 4.0.3+] WIFI Badger - Scanning and Roaming Application [UPDATED 02-25-21]

Search This thread

RuckmanXDA

Mar 22, 2013
ruckman.net
[APPLICATION UPDATED 2/25/21 Version:2.02]
Hello XDA!

If you are interested in a simple and straight forward WIFI application that allows you to easily roam, scan the area, and see your current status. This is the app for you.

I have spend 6 months writing and testing my application with select beta testers. Enjoy!

SDK 15+

My Website for download:
https://ruckman.net/wifibadger.html

Github for Source Code:
https://github.com/williamruckman/WIFIBadger

Why I don't put apps on Google Play:
https://ruckman.net/whynotgoogle.html

Description:

Get the strongest and best performing WIFI access point automatically based on your selected roaming profile.

Works great on most mobile or on the move devices:
- Phones
- Tablets

Available roaming profiles:
- Same SSID (Roam across access points that have the same name)
- Any Saved SSID (Roam across any saved access point regardless of name)
- Any SSID and Open (Roam across any saved and open access points) *VPN Suggested
- Off (Turns off roaming. Only use as a WIFI scanner)

Great for businesses, homes, or any large building with multiple access points.

All timers are customizable. Choose how often you want your device to check for better access points.

View your connections current status and the available access points in your area.

Get the best from your WIFI!

AREA TAB:
- Green = Connected AP
- Yellow = Candidate AP
- Blue = Encrypted AP
- Red = Open AP

LANGUAGES:
- English
- Portuguese (Brazil) - Thanks to Jijo Smidi

Last edited:

RuckmanXDA

Mar 22, 2013
ruckman.net
Battery consumption is good with the default settings. If you increase the timers you will scan more and use more battery.

The icon is necessary in later versions of Android as they prefer that persistent services show their presence. No way around it unfortunately. Not without root.

Reactions: der_Kief

der_Kief

Battery consumption is good with the default settings. If you increase the timers you will scan more and use more battery.

The icon is necessary in later versions of Android as they prefer that persistent services show their presence. No way around it unfortunately. Not without root.
and whats the solution with root ? can you explain that ?
or maybe the icon can be changed ? i my case the icon is to big and unproportional. maybe thats because i changed the default DPI

-Update-
maybe you can implement the notification in a different way ?
Other apps like LightFlow or Avast AntiVirus doenst show a persistent icon but have a persistent notification in notification bar.

Last edited:

RuckmanXDA

Mar 22, 2013
ruckman.net
and whats the solution with root ? can you explain that ?
or maybe the icon can be changed ? i my case the icon is to big and unproportional. maybe thats because i changed the default DPI

-Update-
maybe you can implement the notification in a different way ?
Other apps like LightFlow or Avast AntiVirus doenst show a persistent icon but have a persistent notification in notification bar.

That's a good suggestion! I'll see if I can figure that out. Thanks!

2-23-17: I have changed the software so that after version 1.7 is released that the persistent notification will no longer show in your tray but only shows in the notification tray.
This is only available to API 16+, anyone on API 15 will still see it.

With this simple code addition for anyone else who needs it:

Code:
if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.JELLY_BEAN) {
     notification.priority = Notification.PRIORITY_MIN;
}

I currently don't plan to implement any root options as I want to stick to the API as closely as possible to minimize compatibility headaches.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ascii3

Sep 17, 2015
@RuckmanXDA
Hello RuckmanXDA,

Thank you for your app. It addresses an important problem with Android network usability: selection of the desired WiFi network. Others developers have tried to address the issue in different ways, but the implementations have been severely lacking.

In the interest of improving the app development, I have made some notes from a user's perceptive about desirable network selection and am sharing them with you.

A user often has various criteria to decide upon which is or are the desirable access point(s). The following are considered:
  1. Not all access points have the same features, security, or offer the same level of access. This is true regardless of SSID-name sameness or signal strength. For example, access points of a given SSID name may offer Internet access at different levels of service (or none at all) or impose different network management criteria; it may therefore be preferable to connect to an access point with lower signal power that offers superior features than one with same SSID name and higher signal strength, but that does not offer the better access or features.
  2. There are some access points that are defective, rogue, or otherwise undesirable. Connecting to such access points is problematic, and thus it is important to be able to prevent automatic roaming to such access points.
  3. At times it is desirable to manually select a specific access point to use or test.
  4. It is sometimes, oftentimes, or always important to know which specific network or access point one is connected to. This is especially true with network roaming, where the network or access point one was connected to may no longer be the current network or access point.
  5. There may be more than one option with regards to network interfaces (single or multiple of WiFi, Ethernet, Bluetooth, cellular, etc.) and such options should be manageable to be usable how the user wants. Currently, this is handled very poorly on Android; the interface types are prioritized and network connection is often exclusive. For example, if there are network resources on Ethernet (which seems to be given low interface priority), they often cannot be used without disabling other interfaces (such as WiFi or Cellular data) first if they are enabled. Ideally, the different interfaces and links should be used, prioritized, or balanced in the manner a user wants.
It is also worth noting the following common use scenarios:
  1. Same SSID naming and feature access points are used for a single network.
  2. Different SSID and feature access points are used for a single network.
  3. Same SSIDs used for multiple and separate networks.
  4. Subscription services over public access points. (such as subscription WiFi Internet service). These are sometimes troublesome to roam when they have captive portals. These may use the same or different SSIDs.
For the moment, I request three features:
  1. Ability to manually select an Access Point to connect to.
  2. Ability to create and use custom (SSID, MAC address, etc.) roaming rules and profiles.
  3. Ability to blacklist access points given criteria (SSID, MAC address, etc.).

frogale

Mar 12, 2006
Hey @RuckmanXDA are u alive? Badger is missing at Google Play Stole and even your webpage is not functional. Wifi Badger was excelent app but now it can not be installed anymore :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [APPLICATION UPDATED 2/25/21 Version:2.02]
    Hello XDA!

If you are interested in a simple and straight forward WIFI application that allows you to easily roam, scan the area, and see your current status. This is the app for you.

I have spend 6 months writing and testing my application with select beta testers. Enjoy!

SDK 15+

My Website for download:
    https://ruckman.net/wifibadger.html

Github for Source Code:
    https://github.com/williamruckman/WIFIBadger

Why I don't put apps on Google Play:
    https://ruckman.net/whynotgoogle.html

Description:

Get the strongest and best performing WIFI access point automatically based on your selected roaming profile.

Works great on most mobile or on the move devices:
    - Phones
    - Tablets

Available roaming profiles:
    - Same SSID (Roam across access points that have the same name)
    - Any Saved SSID (Roam across any saved access point regardless of name)
    - Any SSID and Open (Roam across any saved and open access points) *VPN Suggested
    - Off (Turns off roaming. Only use as a WIFI scanner)

Great for businesses, homes, or any large building with multiple access points.

All timers are customizable. Choose how often you want your device to check for better access points.

View your connections current status and the available access points in your area.

Get the best from your WIFI!

AREA TAB:
    - Green = Connected AP
    - Yellow = Candidate AP
    - Blue = Encrypted AP
    - Red = Open AP

LANGUAGES:
    - English
    - Portuguese (Brazil) - Thanks to Jijo Smidi

Hey @RuckmanXDA are u alive? Badger is missing at Google Play Stole and even your webpage is not functional. Wifi Badger was excellent app but now it can not be installed anymore :(

I am still alive, I have updated the app information. The final version, updated links, and github page are now listed. Thanks for the bump, I forgot to update the info here.