[APP] Fresco: A drawing app featuring layers and filters. Out on Mon 20 Jun!

Search This thread

bodom658

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not a big art person, so here's some feedback from another demographic =)

I really like the interface, it was very simple to use.
I realize it might be out of the scope of this application, which seems more geared towards drawing, but being able to draw shapes would be a great feature.

Also, being able to display typed text on an image would be a bonus. (Honestly, if just that were implemented, this would surely be a perfect drawing app for me, love the implementation of layers)

I think it'd also be interesting to implement different transformations (skew comes into mind) =)

Other than that, great app! the UI looks amazing and it's got a really fresh feel!

No bugs so far, but I'll absolutely report feedback if I find any. I am running on Darky's v10.0 (JVB)

Reactions: seanw.org

BartJJ

Mar 26, 2010
So I've been playing with the app for about a day now with a few of my friends and everyone has loved it. I have a few suggestions that I think would really top this app off:
1) Need landscape :*( Honeycomb just isn't meant for portrait mode (I'm on an acer iconia) the buttons dont really even have to move just let them do a rotation or something (the in app buttons of course is what I mean)
2) Zooming is definitely usable but a button to go back to 100% would be very nice for quick zoom edits
3) I would personally prefer for the hardware back button to be the one you use to undo things and then use the current undo buttons place for the zooming mentioned above and finally add a "home" (the view that is shown when you first open the app) option in the menu button options
4) Maybe some kind of resolution picker like in photoshop? This isn't that important to me but to someone that is trying to do some editing or app theming on the go this would probably be important :)

Thanks for the great app!

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
Runs great on the Galaxy Tab. I'd compare it to canvas, with this interface being more user-friendly. Very nicely done. However, I stay on the lookout for apps that compete against desktop programs. I don't mean that they need all the shortcuts to making an image that, say, Illustrator offers. I just need to be able to create comparable images, even if that means ten times the work. This app is well on its way to that, but two key features are missing. First, I need to be able to place text in a layer to edit as a vector image. Vector capabilities alone are a must. Secondly, and I know you're working toward this, I need practically limitless layers in at least the paid version. Once those two features are there, you've got an app that will set the pace for graphic design on mobile devices.

Thanks for the feedback. Fresco is bitmap editor at the moment and I'm unlikely to be adding vector features in its current form anyway. Are you essentially looking for a portable version of Illustrator or Inkscape? I'd be interested in something like that too as I use Inkscape for my icons.

What would you say is the minimal amount of vector features you would need? It would probably be a fun project. :)

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
I'm not a big art person, so here's some feedback from another demographic =)

I really like the interface, it was very simple to use.
I realize it might be out of the scope of this application, which seems more geared towards drawing, but being able to draw shapes would be a great feature.

Also, being able to display typed text on an image would be a bonus. (Honestly, if just that were implemented, this would surely be a perfect drawing app for me, love the implementation of layers)

I think it'd also be interesting to implement different transformations (skew comes into mind) =)

Other than that, great app! the UI looks amazing and it's got a really fresh feel!

No bugs so far, but I'll absolutely report feedback if I find any. I am running on Darky's v10.0 (JVB)

Thanks for the feeback! I'd like to add shapes and text at some point but I need to be careful I don't clutter up the interface.

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
So I've been playing with the app for about a day now with a few of my friends and everyone has loved it. I have a few suggestions that I think would really top this app off:
1) Need landscape :*( Honeycomb just isn't meant for portrait mode (I'm on an acer iconia) the buttons dont really even have to move just let them do a rotation or something (the in app buttons of course is what I mean)
2) Zooming is definitely usable but a button to go back to 100% would be very nice for quick zoom edits
3) I would personally prefer for the hardware back button to be the one you use to undo things and then use the current undo buttons place for the zooming mentioned above and finally add a "home" (the view that is shown when you first open the app) option in the menu button options
4) Maybe some kind of resolution picker like in photoshop? This isn't that important to me but to someone that is trying to do some editing or app theming on the go this would probably be important :)

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Yes, landscape is something I want to add as soon as possible. I'll have a think about the zoom issue; it's a tricky balance to avoid too having too many buttons and gestures for actions.

I'm not a fan of using the back button for undo myself as I find it counter-intuitive and I notice during tests that people find it hard to understand what the back button will do in general. I deliberately make the user proceed through the empty gallery when the app is first launched to let them know pressing back will go back to the gallery.

Can I ask why you want a menu shortcut to go to the gallery? I originally had the editor appear when the app was launched and the gallery was only accessible through the menu but my testers found this unintuitive.

I'll be looking at adding custom image sizes at some point.

Last edited:

BartJJ

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for the detailed feedback. Yes, landscape is something I want to add as soon as possible. I'll have a think about the zoom issue; it's a tricky balance to avoid too having too many buttons and gestures for actions.

I'm not a fan of using the back button for undo myself as I find it counter-intuitive and I notice during tests that people find it hard to understand what the back button will do in general. I deliberately make the user proceed through the empty gallery when the app is first launched to let them know pressing back will go back to the gallery.

Can I ask why you want a menu shortcut to go to the gallery? I originally had the editor appear when the app was launched and the gallery was only accessible through the menu but my testers found this unintuitive.

I'll be looking at adding custom image sizes at some point.

What would be nice for the button issue would be having submenus or something of the sort to pick the ones you want and/or have a tablet mode that gives buttons on each side. Not sure if that would be too complicated though

The back button to me has become a natural thing to do, kinda like cntrl z on a computer. This could just be me but I definitely would prefer the back to be a dedicated undo

I agree that it should open up to the gallery completely it just seems like to me it would be more reasonable to have a button to go back to the gallery (after pressing menu) than to use the back button (but mainly because I prefer the back button to be undo as I said before) and its annoying for me to hit that button out of habit and get the dialog then have to close the dialog and click the app's back button

azrienoch

Thanks for the feedback. Fresco is bitmap editor at the moment and I'm unlikely to be adding vector features in its current form anyway. Are you essentially looking for a portable version of Illustrator or Inkscape? I'd be interested in something like that too as I use Inkscape for my icons.

What would you say is the minimal amount of vector features you would need? It would probably be a fun project. :)

I need at least the text to be vector based. Then again, it's not an issue if I can decide the canvas size and create the text and images as large as I need from the beginning. Like I said, those two other features are what I desperately need in a graphic editor.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
What would be nice for the button issue would be having submenus or something of the sort to pick the ones you want and/or have a tablet mode that gives buttons on each side. Not sure if that would be too complicated though

I will look into adjusting the interface for tablet users seeing as there's much more room available. As you mention though, you don't want to make things more complex than they need to be.

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
I need at least the text to be vector based. Then again, it's not an issue if I can decide the canvas size and create the text and images as large as I need from the beginning. Like I said, those two other features are what I desperately need in a graphic editor.

What kinds of images are you specifically interested in creating? Adding a tool to render bitmap text to the canvas wouldn't be too difficult. I'd love to allow huge canvases but this is difficult on some mobiles because of memory limitations.

azrienoch

Usually banner sized images, sometimes backgrounds at 1920x1080, sometimes larger for tshirt designs, but if I had up to 1920x1080, I wouldn't have to bring my laptop anywhere and save the larger work for when I'm home.

Oh, here's a solution to a few problems. It would be great if I could save a project and then load that project into another project as a rasterized layer. And then, double the problems solved if I can then go back and edit the first project, and then load the second project and my changes to the first update. It's taking the long route compared to full-fledged programs, but again I dont mind that at all. That method should cut down on memory use by layers to allow for larger sizes.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using XDA Premium App

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
Usually banner sized images, sometimes backgrounds at 1920x1080, sometimes larger for tshirt designs, but if I had up to 1920x1080, I wouldn't have to bring my laptop anywhere and save the larger work for when I'm home.

I want to support bigger image sizes but this is something I'll attempt later as there are lots of issues to consider concerning memory usage.

Oh, here's a solution to a few problems. It would be great if I could save a project and then load that project into another project as a rasterized layer.

In Fresco at the moment, you can export your image to your SD card (which flattens the layers) and then import this image into a new project. You'll probably find the "Save a copy" menu option useful as well.

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
New beta release! Check the original post for a changelog. I'd be interested to know what people think of the new gesture for recentering the canvas.

Reactions: spino1970

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
I've updated the original post with a new beta release package. This should fix several startup crashes that people contacted me about and some other stability issues.

Last edited:

pichuerca

Mar 30, 2010
I have tested every drawing app that have been released for Android until now and this one is further the best one.

I have an 10.1 inch tablet with resistive screen with no Multi-touch so I cannot Zoom nor Pam. My device is a flytouch3 with 512 RAM and 1 GHZ (really ~800ghz) of CPU. I am running Froyo 2.2.

Another issue I have, it is a lag while i am drawing. The best responsive application that I have tested nowadays it is "Draw and Share", It runs very very smoothly. This app can customize thiner brushes than Fresco. I think it would be very helpful a smaller pen or brush to draw thin details.

Thanks for this application

I will look forward for it!!

Javier

Last edited:

seanw.org

Mar 31, 2011
seanw.org
I have tested every drawing app that have been released for Android until now and this one is further the best one.

I have an 10.1 inch tablet with resistive screen with no Multi-touch so I cannot Zoom nor Pam. My device is a flytouch3 with 512 RAM and 1 GHZ (really ~800ghz) of CPU. I am running Froyo 2.2.

Another issue I have, it is a lag while i am drawing. The best responsive application that I have tested nowadays it is "Draw and Share", It runs very very smoothly. This app can customize thiner brushes than Fresco. I think it would be very helpful a smaller pen or brush to draw thin details.

Thanks for this application

I will look forward for it!!

Javier

Thanks for the feedback Javier. I'll look into providing smaller brush sizes and zooming/panning for non-multi-touch devices.

Do you experience lag when painting with bigger brush sizes as well as smaller brush sizes? If it lags for bigger brush sizes, does increasing the spacing parameter help? It could be something to do with rendering speed or the way Fresco smooths out the strokes you draw.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fresco is now on the Android Market. Please visit this thread for download details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1132869

Fresco is a painting and sketching app for Android.

Features: Full layers support, multiple undo/redo, configurable brush and eraser tools, line smoothing, flood fill, color picker, multi-touch zooming and panning, simple interface, filters (e.g. contrast, saturation, brightness, blur, emboss, blur, noise, sharpen), mirror/move/rotate/scale layers, export to .PSD format with layers intact, supports phone and tablet screen sizes, import images, autosave, HSL color selector.

The full version of Fresco will be available on the Android Market on Monday 20th June. You can download the beta version below.

The beta version is limited to 2 layers (4 are intended for the full version) and a handful of brushes and filters. Permissions required: Internet connection is used for sending bug reports after user confirmation. SD card access is needed for saving images. Only 0.5Mb is needed for installation.

Screenshots:

CAbbc.jpg

"Gulpha Gorge landscape" painting by Rick Chandler (studiochandler.com).

Bfj3M.jpg

hd6O3.jpg

"Mr. Sketchy self portrait" painting by Rick Chandler (studiochandler.com).

ZEi4Q.jpg

sceis.jpg

VzWqg.jpg

ITpWT.jpg

PVXz3.jpg

Please note that the beta will expire on June 21. An updated version will be available by then either here or on the market.

Installation instructions
    1. Open your device settings screen by either 1) opening your "Settings" app from your app list or 2) by pressing "Menu" then "Settings" on your home screen.
    2. Select the "Applications" option.
    3. Make sure "Unknown sources" is ticked to let you install non-market apps.
    4. Open the following direct link in your device's browser to download the .APK file that contains the app:
      http://goo.gl/O7Xfb
    5. Tap on the file that appears in your notification bar when the download is complete.

To see what other people have created in Fresco and to share your own work, visit the Flickr group (you can post pictures without signing up by logging in with your Facebook or Google account): www.flickr.com/groups/fresco/.

For updates on when the full version is available you can:
    - Subscribe to my Twitter feed https://twitter.com/#!/seanw_org.
    - Join the Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fresco-A-Mobile-Art-Studio-for-Android/169892059738943 (please "like" the page to support the app!)
    - Email me at android@seanw.org with the subject "Fresco Subscribe" and I'll email you when it is released (I won't share your email address and I will delete your address if you ask).

Edit: Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!
    Edit: New beta release! Changes:
    - The brush and eraser no longer share settings.
    - Added a "confirm" button to the configure tool dialog so you're not forced to use the back button.
    - Fixed stability issues when previewing filters.
    - Lower memory usage.
    Edit: New beta release! Changes:
    - New multi-touch gesture: tap twice with two fingers to recenter the canvas.
    - The startup crash on HTC HD2, HTC Evo 4G and HTC Supersonic should be fixed now. Let me know if this is the case if you have one of these phones.
    - Fixed issue where the zoom level would change when the user removed their fingers from the screen at the end of a pinch/pan gesture.
    - Improved the presentation of the gallery, brush configuration dialog and editor toolbar.
    - The help dialog now mentions how to delete files.
    Edit: New beta release. Changes:
    - Fixed problem that caused image importing to fail.
    - Fixed crash when importing images.
    - Fixed crash that sometimes happened when returning to the gallery.
    - Fixed startup crash on some devices.
    - Image saving should now be faster on lower end devices.
    - Fixed issue that caused flickering when viewing filter previews on some devices.
    - The performance of undoing/redoing brush strokes has been improved.
    - Improved feedback when errors were caused by the SD card being unavailable.
    - The line smoothing algorithm has been tweaked to reduce lag when drawing.
    - The maximum brush size has been increased.
    - Fixed various bugs that were causing crashes.
    - Fixed strange problem where semi-transparent layers had rendering problems on some devices.
    - Improved scrolling responsiveness when the gallery screen contains many items.
    - New icon!
    - Fixed problem where sometimes the imported images would be the wrong size.
    - Improved the memory usage of some editing operations.
    - Fixed crash that would sometimes happen when returning to the app.
    - Speed and memory optimisations made to filters.
    - Memory optimisations made to .PSD export.
    - Fixed some interface issues regarding the autosave dialog.
    - The back key can now be used to cancel filters.
    - Tweaks to line smoothing algorithm.
    - Fixed issue where the brush parameters would sometimes change just by entering and leaving the brush configuration screen.
    - Fixed lag problems with filter preview.
    - Better screenshots!
    Look great!

This looks awesome! Will be trying it shortly.
    This looks awesome! Will be trying it shortly.

This works really well and I love the interface. My only gripe so far is that it's not obvious when the background is transparent. It would be great if it was checkerboard instead of white (like in the layer view).

Also, I'd like to see support for images of different sizes and zooming too if possible! I know this is likely to add to the complexity of the app, but really think these are features you need.
    It is the best painting app for android so far imo. But I think it needs a landscape image size, a better paint fill, and an option to have the cursor slightly above your finger so that your finger isn't covering it. But the number one thing it needs is the fill. Filling an object makes little white outline of the color.

Btw I'm using HTC g2 and it doesn't lag or anything, runs very well.
    It is the best painting app for android so far imo. But I think it needs a landscape image size, a better paint fill, and an option to have the cursor slightly above your finger so that your finger isn't covering it. But the number one thing it needs is the fill. Filling an object makes little white outline of the color.

Btw I'm using HTC g2 and it doesn't lag or anything, runs very well.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! Yes, landscape is a top priority feature. I'll be adding offset drawing too. You're right, the fill bucket does need some work.