• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP] G:RSS - A Google Reader RSS App for Windows Phone 7 (WP7) [U] 20101224 - v0.06

Search This thread

smuook

Oct 27, 2007
Jax, Florida
1. x2 on offline reading support.

I have a many Google Reader feeds and waiting for them all to load wastes time and bandwidth. This is a deal breaker for me if it is a paid app.

2. I see the "add star button". This should be able to star items locally and have it update Google Reader remotely automatically

3. Podcast support

4. Auto update with settings

Looks good though, I will be keeping on eye on it's development.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Offline reading support will be on the top of my list for post launch. As for availability, MS unfortunately doesn't make it as easy as Google does to get your developer account in order. It's taken all weekend to get the App set up and ready for submission because of errors in the portal, and I'm still waiting for GeoTrust to verify my identity. Once that's finalized, I'll submit the app for testing and my understanding is from there things move quickly.

Thanks!

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Final update before release: The release version is in Testing at Microsoft and should be released soon. We had a couple of small icon hickups that got it bumped back.

Offline support will be here shortly! I'm almost done with the code, and everything is working smoothly. This release will probably just be a short week out from the launch. It will contain:
  • Offline reading support /syncing (The user experience will be just like the desktop Google Reader with Gears)
  • Share/Unshare
  • Minor bug fixes

After I get those out, I'll focus on some more phone-based features like background syncing, notifications, and live tiles.

Thanks,
Ben

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Good news/bad news/better news:

Good news: G:RSS is approved and ready to go to the market!
Bad news: I'm holding off on releasing it, and will be resubmitting to the market tomorrow.
Better news: I'm holding off because I'm about an hour away from completing EVERYTHING requested except the two items commented on below. And they may even be included. I feel like this new version is leagues better than the original, and I wouldn't feel good about putting out something sub par when so many people have requested these features both here and through PM/Email.

Please add live tile support giving you info on how many new unread feeds are available.

I've been looking into this, but it's more difficult than I first thought. You can't actually poll for an unread count, you have to have a server that checks the unread count and then sends a push notification to the phone with the result. This means I would need to store Google login credentials on a server to do the checking, which I personally don't want to do from a privacy standpoint.

So, to pull this off, I need to use the WP7 application to get the SID when it starts (identifier used to poll data), and then pass that SID to a server that only keeps it in memory and can check for counts until the SID expires without any privacy implications.

The downsides to this are:
A) I need time to set up a notification server.
B) I need time to ensure everything is 100% privacy secure.

I WILL get this working, just probably not for the first release.

Please add one important feature for me, https support

Http://Ricky119.com

Currently, all login credentials/etc are sent through HTTPS (SSL). Are you asking for all traffic including grabbing articles to be SSL? This will slow down data transfer, but would be easy to add in. In fact, it was so easy I added it in before posting this. :) It's listed on the settings screen now (or will be at release).

Thanks,
Ben

ricky119

Aug 6, 2008
Melbourne
Ricky119.com
Good news/bad news/better news:

Good news: G:RSS is approved and ready to go to the market!
Bad news: I'm holding off on releasing it, and will be resubmitting to the market tomorrow.
Better news: I'm holding off because I'm about an hour away from completing EVERYTHING requested except the two items commented on below. And they may even be included. I feel like this new version is leagues better than the original, and I wouldn't feel good about putting out something sub par when so many people have requested these features both here and through PM/Email.

I've been looking into this, but it's more difficult than I first thought. You can't actually poll for an unread count, you have to have a server that checks the unread count and then sends a push notification to the phone with the result. This means I would need to store Google login credentials on a server to do the checking, which I personally don't want to do from a privacy standpoint.

So, to pull this off, I need to use the WP7 application to get the SID when it starts (identifier used to poll data), and then pass that SID to a server that only keeps it in memory and can check for counts until the SID expires without any privacy implications.

The downsides to this are:
A) I need time to set up a notification server.
B) I need time to ensure everything is 100% privacy secure.

I WILL get this working, just probably not for the first release.

Currently, all login credentials/etc are sent through HTTPS (SSL). Are you asking for all traffic including grabbing articles to be SSL? This will slow down data transfer, but would be easy to add in. In fact, it was so easy I added it in before posting this. :) It's listed on the settings screen now (or will be at release).

Thanks,
Ben

Yes, i hope you can add ALL https option so user can select their self. Google reader website it self fully support https for ALL RSS source, I think it can help some users, especially for those users in China with lots of content blocking, to read their RSS successfully.

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Yes, i hope you can add ALL https option so user can select their self. Google reader website it self fully support https for ALL RSS source, I think it can help some users, especially for those users in China with lots of content blocking, to read their RSS successfully.

Precisely what I did:

Fmstrat said:
This will slow down data transfer, but would be easy to add in. In fact, it was so easy I added it in before posting this. It's listed on the settings screen now (or will be at release).

Thanks!

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
Thanks man,
Another request I want to ask is that please make an Free AD version of this APP since our region cannot bind the local credit card to zune, so even i want to pay some software, there's no way to do it, I hope Microsoft will allow the Microsoft point to buy the APP soon

Ask, and you shall receive.

The version I just submitted to the market has an Ad supported trial version. Certain other features are disabled, such as offline reading since it is impossible to use with Ads.

Thanks,
Ben

Fmstrat

Aug 3, 2007
thanks, but i still canNOT find the G:RSS software in the market, have your submit passed?

I wish it had. As per the above post I resubmitted on the 11th. It's still at the "Testing in Progress" stage. My guess is by today or tomorrow it will be approved, although different testers pass or fail for different things, so we shall see :)

I'll post here and on my site/twitter/facebook when it's ready.

Thanks,
B.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks, but i still canNOT find the G:RSS software in the market, have your submit passed?

I wish it had. As per the above post I resubmitted on the 11th. It's still at the "Testing in Progress" stage. My guess is by today or tomorrow it will be approved, although different testers pass or fail for different things, so we shall see :)

I'll post here and on my site/twitter/facebook when it's ready.

Thanks,
    B.