Themes / Apps / Mods [App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Control, Quick Resolution Switcher, Force Lowest Hz on Screen-Off/AOD, Quick-Doze, Adaptive Mod and More)

Search This thread

joloxx9joloxx9

Jul 6, 2011
Yes, I agree with you. They said the phone will shift "between 10 and 120 Hz. So technically they're still keeping within that range. I'm just saying that I still haven't seen anyone report actually seeing that 10Hz state. False advertising? Tricky wording? I'm not sure.
Well for me its clearly false advertising, 60(or 48) - 120 is not even close to 10... I am going to raise it with samsung support, will see what they have to say regarding it.

Reactions: enigmaamit

tribalfs

• Mar 28, 2014
    This is sort of the same gimmick OnePlus pulled with the OP9Pro's LTPO display marketing. They both claim that the display is "capable" of going from 'x' Hz to 'y' Hz but don't necessarily push them all that way down.

The other issue is the transition time between different refresh rate states. If you're browsing a static page at 1Hz and then flick your finger on the screen suddenly to start scrolling, the screen then has to go from 1Hz to the fluid 120Hz. That trasition is not instantaneous, and will lead to lag. So it's safer to keep the lowest refresh rate at a higher value than the lowest possible from the view-point of UI smoothness and performance. If you go to the OP9Pro forums (not on XDA, on the OP community site), you'll see a lot of users complain of this erratic scrolling behaviour.

Secondly, having fewer intermediate refresh rate states is easier to manage for the dispaly controller than a granular control of 1Hz (i.e. 24Hz, 48Hz, 72Hz, 96Hz, 120Hz rather than 10, 11, 12, 13, 14..... upto 120).

This is just my understanding of how variable refresh rate works, and I'm no expert so I can be mistaken. Maybe @tribalfs can add in his opinion.
    Yes, android system is not yet capable of true VRR. Android only do dynamic refresh rate mode switching between predefined refresh rates. I also think implementing a granular and continuous refresh rate adjustment (true VRR) in android can be counterproductive even with the current LTPO displays. But I still believe they should enable 10hz at least in AOD.

According to chat they can't provide when phone is going to drop into 10Hz because it vary by app, I had no answer regarding if any samsung app can do it...
    It will not unless they will enable it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: enigmaamit

tribalfs

• Mar 28, 2014

You guys might have seen this already...it's absolutely not a simple "no scroll = 10Hz" situation.
    One can indeed argue that marketing is stretching the concept and usability of this panel feature.
    Well, I personally highly doubt the actual implementation/existence of this so called invisible LFD layer. Based on how it is described, it means to me that it's only a processing layer but no effect on actual refresh rate of the display panel. I think this additional processing/layer is already redundant as it is already being handled by android surfaceflinger.

Last edited:

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
    Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
    Well, I personally highly doubt the actual implementation/existence of this so called invisible LFD layer. Based on how it is described, it means to me that it's only a processing layer but no effect on actual refresh rate of the display panel. I think this kind of additional processing/layer is not anymore needed as it is already being handled by android surfaceflinger.
    I can't pretend I understand all the techno-babble in the article, but my simplistic take-away was that it a complex evaluation and MAYBE if the stars align properly, the refresh rate might drop to 10 Hz.
    I'm more than happy with 48-96 Hz that I'm using now...of course I would love if at least in AOD and in long inactivity periods it would drop to 10Hz, but I kind of doubt we're ever going to see that.

Reactions: tribalfs

paul_cherma

Apr 20, 2021
    hello,
    Does this app conflict with NapTime doze settings if I install both? I see that the app offers an aggressive doze option just like naptime when screen goes off so not sure if anybody has both installed.

sthuv

Jun 14, 2006
    Hello, I have an issue with the app. When I tap the screen once, the AOD displays fine but when the screen turns off and I tap the screen again once, the AOD no longer displays. Is a manipulation to be done to resolve this problem ?
    Thanks

tribalfs

• Mar 28, 2014
    Hello, I have an issue with the app. When I tap the screen once, the AOD displays fine but when the screen turns off and I tap the screen again once, the AOD no longer displays. Is a manipulation to be done to resolve this problem ?
    Thanks
    Disable "Turn off AOD" in Power Saving Mode setting of your device.

tribalfs

• Mar 28, 2014
    Thanks
    Disable "Turn off AOD" in Power Saving Mode settings of your device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Mate got a question for you, as many of us have issues with one wake lock, CameraService_worker. It trigger when you walk and only way to get rid of it is to disable sensors. Is there any chance you could make it happen in the app when screen is off? Add function for it as there is a tile from dev options but it's not perfect as it has to be done manually. Thanks
      Good suggestion. I have quick tile for sensors but maybe you could implement it in your app. Turn off when display off. Like with PSM
      Thank you for this suggestion. I'll do some research on this and check what I can do.
      Unfortunately no, that's a display calibration issue
      Mate got a question for you, as many of us have issues with one wake lock, CameraService_worker. It trigger when you walk and only way to get rid of it is to disable sensors. Is there any chance you could make it happen in the app when screen is off? Add function for it as there is a tile from dev options but it's not perfect as it has to be done manually. Thanks
      Good suggestion. I have quick tile for sensors but maybe you could implement it in your app. Turn off when display off. Like with PSM
      What's best for battery saving? 0 or 120?
      0 no maintenance window
      v7.12.00 in-app update now available :)
      - More customizable maintenance window interval for Quick-Doze Mode
      - Minor improvements
      screenshot_20210316-052014_galaxy-max-hz-jpg.5251193

About this app:
      • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Switch to High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices natively supporting Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
        • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
        • Galaxy Z Fold 2
        • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto set power saving mode during screen-off***

Ad-Free Exclusive Features:

• Keep motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled - either manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Adaptive refresh rate mod: Experimental adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the native Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+)***

• Quick-doze mod: Quick doze mode during screen-off to improve standby power consumption***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if available)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Ad-Free Trial is available. Just click "Activate Ad-free" button and activate free trial when prompted.

***these marked features require one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Download link , FAQs and more info in original xda thread
      Thank you for this suggestion. I'll do some research on this and check what I can do.
      Unfortunately no, that's a display calibration issue
      V6.50 is up!:)

Changelogs
      v6.50

- Fixed high mode not working on some S21/N20U devices
      - Show real-time refresh rate in notification and/or overlay
      - Added some language support
      - Improve notifications
      - App power consumption improvement
      - Ad-free trial added
      - Stability and other improvements

v7.10.00 in-app update now available! :)
      v7.10
      - Custom max hz option for power saving mode
      - Automate GMH settings using Tasker plugin support. Supported actions/variables: Max Refresh Rate, Keep Motion Smoothness on PSM, Motion Smoothness Mode, Quick-doze Mod, Change Screen Resolution.
      - Some code refactoring and optimizations
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone