Themes / Apps / Mods [App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Control, Quick Resolution Switcher, Force Lowest Refresh Rate on Screen-Off/AOD, Adaptive Mod and More)

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Setting 96Hz as maximum forcing max brightness on AOD. It drains battery. :x
It has nothing to do with 96hz setting in adaptive mode (but your max brightness setting definitely does). Samsung (now)lowers refresh rate to 60hz on AOD.
Applying the screen off mod (i.e 48hz on AOD/screen-off) will definitely improve it.

Last edited:

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Not agree, I had enabled screen-off refresh rate and AOD brightness was very high.
View attachment 5225009
Are you serious, man?!
Max Hz setting has nothing to do with AOD brightness - should be the same on any refresh rate.
You should double check the auto or manual brightness settings of your AOD.
The brightness of current environment does affect it when it's in auto.

onim21

Aug 24, 2012
Man, I was developing MIUI rom when you had 5 years. I know how to set AOD brightness. After setting 96Hz minimum brightness is 50% higher than real minimum (on 120Hz or 60Hz p.ex.), but it can't be lowered in settings. Uninstalled for now.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Man, I was developing MIUI rom when you had 5 years. I know how to set AOD brightness. After setting 96Hz minimum brightness is 50% higher than real minimum (on 120Hz or 60Hz p.ex.), but it can't be lowered in settings. Uninstalled for now.
Well that's strange. S21Ultra always sets it back to 60hz on AOD either you set 96hz or 120hz. Really just no connection.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
I'm having a hard time correlating these two statements...

Does the screen off mod set it to 48hz on AOD, or does the S21U always set it back to 60hz regardless of this setting?
The first one when screenoff mod is ENABLED - 48hz if that's the lowest in your phone.

The second one, when it's not, the stock behavior - always 60hz for S21Ultra. (It was strangely 120hz before on Note20U and Zfold2 atleast but samsung fixed it in one ui 3.* update)

Last edited:

mtm1401

Apr 10, 2018
About this app:
  • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Switch to High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices natively supporting Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
    • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    • Galaxy Z Fold 2
    • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

The following are Ad-Free Exclusives/Extras :

• Adaptive refresh rate mod: Experimental adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates that do not natively support Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series)***

• Quick power-doze mod: Automatic power saving mode and quick doze mode on screen-off***

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Ad-Free Trial is available. Just click "Activate Ad-free" button and click "More info" on the snackbar prompt that will appear.
***requires one-time ADB setup

Please report any bug that you will find.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Original xda thread

Demo video of v5.4. More features have been added in the later versions

View attachment 5226751View attachment 5226749
Does this require battery optimisation to be turned off for this application to work properly?

Just wondering what happens if the phone enters deep doze and restricts background usage? Does the screen off refresh rate stay at the minimum rate or does it revert to 60hz?

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Does this require battery optimisation to be turned off for this application to work properly?

Just wondering what happens if the phone enters deep doze and restricts background usage? Does the screen off refresh rate stay at the minimum rate or does it revert to 60hz?
- Based on my tests, it's working as intended even when included in battery optimization. Although, I received report from a user that he experiencing problem when enable batt optmization on my app - I can't confirm it yet if this is exactly the reason..

- It should stay at 48hz on S21Ultra.

Reactions: mtm1401

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
I've uninstalled the app as it was causing huge battery drain in standby and while using my phone. Since I deleted the app the drain has stopped. Couldn't figure out why I was get such crappy battery life.

VICosPhi

Aug 2, 2010
Phoenix
@tribalfs thanks for the great app. Been using it on my N20U with great results.

However, on S21 ultra I see my screen flickering 8 or 10 times after phone is rebooted just when it is starting apps. I have the screen off mod enabled and ADB permissions granted to the app while refresh set to 96Hz. Do you know what could be causing it? I am on latest build RP1A G998USQU1AUAG

Thanks

Berserker900

May 7, 2020
Hello OP,
i just wanna say thank you for this epic app and this epic dedication.
i read this thread and the original one, you rock.
i have few concerns before i purchase the full version.
i saw when the FPS drops to either 48 or goes to 96 on low light the screen turns color like a lot...is there a reason?
i have the fps set to lowest still i can only see 48 happens when screen is off, we cant have it when screen is on ?
the fluctuations in fps aint harmful yeah? :p
also there is an app in develops options called gpu watch, gives you real time fps....i noticed that the fps drops real low and when i touch the screen, it lags and drops even more then goes up....is this normal?
i could share a screen record if that is better.
cheerz.

S21Ultra 512 exynos

maxq1

May 28, 2010
With Sansa @Winterfell
really digging v 6.60! it seems shifting from max to 60 is more "aggressive" now. is it just coz the app is polling the screen refresh rate much faster? or is the app actually enforcing it on device the way it should be?

cheloz

Nov 3, 2012
Buenos Aires
Realmente no puedo creer que no tenga el mínimo de 10 Hz, como decían en todas partes que tendría el ultra. ¡¡¡Es increible!!!

Translation: I really can't believe it doesn't have the 10 Hz minimum, as they said everywhere the ultra would have. Is incredible!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Hi! Pls. check update on the app now. v6.61 now up. See changes below. :)
Changelogs
v6.61

- Improvements on adaptive mod behavior for multi-refresh rates devices not natively supporting adaptive refresh rates (fixed issues on prolonged scroll, mouse scroll, not working on settings, etc.)
- Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if available)
- Net speed indicator now autohides when not connected to internet
- More optimizations
- Other improvements and bug fixes

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
@tribalfs thanks for the great app. Been using it on my N20U with great results.

However, on S21 ultra I see my screen flickering 8 or 10 times after phone is rebooted just when it is starting apps. I have the screen off mod enabled and ADB permissions granted to the app while refresh set to 96Hz. Do you know what could be causing it? I am on latest build RP1A G998USQU1AUAG

Thanks
The app to scans the available refresh rates of the phone to cache it for further use - but only once. If it's happening 8-10 times, there might be other cause.

Reactions: VICosPhi