• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Mods, Screen-off Mods and More)

Search This thread

GeoFX

Jul 29, 2012
Houston, TX
LG V30
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Have all the S20 users that use GMH migrated to the Note20/N20U forum thread as it seems pretty dead around here? It's confusing to digest some information over there because that device has different functionality (e.g., native adaptive refresh, etc.) and issues that may not be relevant for us S20/20FE users. To make it more confusing, a lot of users never state their device model, oneui version, patch level, etc so what may be an issue for them is not an issue for other devices.

Here's to hoping that @tribalfs doesn't break something in GMH for the S20 devices in future updates while fixing a N20U/S21 issue since the latest update is running perfectly on my SM-G986U (except for that bixby routine reversion issue) now lol

ShechoMV

Sep 2, 2013
screenshot_20210316-052014_galaxy-max-hz-jpg.5251193

About this app:
  • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+, z fold 3, z flip 3). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Switch to High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
    • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    • Galaxy Z Fold 2
    • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra
    • Galaxy Z Flip 3
    • Galaxy Z Fold 3

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since oneui3.0) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Tasker plugin support: Automate GMH settings using the app's Tasker plugin support. Supported actions/variables: Max Refresh Rate, Keep Motion Smoothness on PSM, Motion Smoothness Mode, Quick-doze Mod, Change Screen Resolution. (new in v7.10). More info in FAQs below.

Premium Features:

• Keep High/Adaptive motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled whether manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the stock Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+) with the ability to set the brightness threshold for its activation***

• Quick-doze mod: Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion ***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if available)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround):
    Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked. This helps minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks.

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Premium Trial is available. Just click "Activate Premium|Trial" button and activate free trial when prompted.

Note: Ad-free license is on a per device basis.

***these marked features require a one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Info: This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup. Just ignore the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time.

Download link, FAQs, Bug Reporting and more info in original xda thread.

Adaptive Mode don't work on S20+ 5G SM-G986U on Latest version. Simply the refresh rate don't change and stays at 120Hz
I have the following options selected: (See screenshots)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-180626_Galaxy Max Hz.png
    Screenshot_20210907-180626_Galaxy Max Hz.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20210907-180643_Galaxy Max Hz.png
    Screenshot_20210907-180643_Galaxy Max Hz.png
    271 KB · Views: 44

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Adaptive Mode don't work on S20+ 5G SM-G986U on Latest version. Simply the refresh rate don't change and stays at 120Hz
I have the following options selected: (See screenshots)
Hi! Pls share a brief screen recording so I can check closer. I suggest you enable both the refresh rate monitor overlay and show refresh rate in development options while recording. See below :
It some cases I maybe need to see a screenshot of your GMH settings and/or screen recording* showing the bug/issue. You can use this screen recording app capable of screen recording at high refresh rates

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014

GeoFX

Jul 29, 2012
Houston, TX
LG V30
Samsung Galaxy S9+
v7.14.13 in-app update now available.

-Added option to prevent system from switching back to high mode when adaptive mod is applied (for S20 series and FE). E.g. when using bixby routine to switch motion smoothness mode
-Bug fixes

@GeoFX
@tribalfs Looks like it's still bugged. Installed the new version and reloaded profiles. Here were my steps to test:

1) in GMH, set to 120hz adaptive mode, toggled the new "Prevent switching to High Mode" to on.

2) Set up Bixby Routine If=YouTube Then=Motion smoothness and Screen resolution to 60hz and FHD+

3) Open YouTube, refresh rate is fixed at 60hz as expected

4) Reopened GMH, mode switched by to High. Confirmed with the refresh rate monitor being stuck at 120hz.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!

SM-G986U (S20+ 5G), OneUI3.1 with August 2021 patch.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
@tribalfs Looks like it's still bugged. Installed the new version and reloaded profiles. Here were my steps to test:

1) in GMH, set to 120hz adaptive mode, toggled the new "Prevent switching to High Mode" to on.

2) Set up Bixby Routine If=YouTube Then=Motion smoothness and Screen resolution to 60hz and FHD+

3) Open YouTube, refresh rate is fixed at 60hz as expected

4) Reopened GMH, mode switched by to High. Confirmed with the refresh rate monitor being stuck at 120hz.

Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks!

SM-G986U (S20+ 5G), OneUI3.1 with August 2021 patch.
Let me check. Thanks for the feedback

Edit: My bad. Please perform an in-app update again. It should work now.

Last edited:

GeoFX

Jul 29, 2012
Houston, TX
LG V30
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Reactions: tribalfs

ric69

Jan 3, 2007
Invalid activation code on last version

(Edit) ok I think it's my fault as I installed avoiding hardware module to enable safety net ... will try to disable

(Edit 2) I confirm it's safetynet tweak that change device number

Last edited:

denyzinx

Feb 15, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S20
Any solution for my device G981B, feels flickering when I set on adaptive mode, this is only happen when switching from 96 to 60. but it's fine when I set to maximum refresh rate, feels smoothly switching from 120 to 60

GeoFX

Jul 29, 2012
Houston, TX
LG V30
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Getting weird issues since 7.14.13. I have GMH set to adaptive 120hz, force Hz to lowest, prevent to High. I also have a Bixby routine set to go to Power Saving mode at night (9pm-6am) every night.

Since the latest updates GMH does not activate again in the morning so I have to enable motion smoothness, adaptive, etc. It use to work where the Bixby Routine turns off and the previous settings of GMH is turned back on.

I have GMH set to not optimized and have allowed it total freedom to run in background. Phone is a SM-G986U running August 2021 OneUI 3.1 update.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Getting weird issues since 7.14.13. I have GMH set to adaptive 120hz, force Hz to lowest, prevent to High. I also have a Bixby routine set to go to Power Saving mode at night (9pm-6am) every night.

Since the latest updates GMH does not activate again in the morning so I have to enable motion smoothness, adaptive, etc. It use to work where the Bixby Routine turns off and the previous settings of GMH is turned back on.

I have GMH set to not optimized and have allowed it total freedom to run in background. Phone is a SM-G986U running August 2021 OneUI 3.1 update.
I'll check when I am fully recovered. Got covid 19 for almost a week now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screenshot_20210316-052014_galaxy-max-hz-jpg.5251193

About this app:
    • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+, z fold 3, z flip 3). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Switch to High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
      • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
      • Galaxy Z Fold 2
      • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra
      • Galaxy Z Flip 3
      • Galaxy Z Fold 3

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since oneui3.0) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Tasker plugin support: Automate GMH settings using the app's Tasker plugin support. Supported actions/variables: Max Refresh Rate, Keep Motion Smoothness on PSM, Motion Smoothness Mode, Quick-doze Mod, Change Screen Resolution. (new in v7.10). More info in FAQs below.

Premium Features:

• Keep High/Adaptive motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled whether manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the stock Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+) with the ability to set the brightness threshold for its activation***

• Quick-doze mod: Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion ***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if available)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround):
      Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked. This helps minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks.

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Premium Trial is available. Just click "Activate Premium|Trial" button and activate free trial when prompted.

Note: Ad-free license is on a per device basis.

***these marked features require a one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Info: This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup. Just ignore the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time.

Download link, FAQs, Bug Reporting and more info in original xda thread.

But I am working on working around this limitation. :)
    Update: After spending some hours of research and tests, I think I now have a workaround to mimic adaptive refresh rate behavior for devices with high refresh rates like S20s. Not 100% perfect but seems working well.
    Currently only N20ultra, TabS7 and S21 series have adaptive refresh rates.
    But I am working on working around this limitation. :)
    v6.62.25 now up! :)
    - Fixed crash when opening some apps in Secured Folder
    - Minor improvements on adaptive mod
    v6.62.10 changes:
    - Fixed intermittent bug on restoring power mode settings on screen-on when using quick power-doze mod

I am getting crashes after latest update. Mostly when I switch between normal apps and apps in secure folder. The app has stopped and it closes.
    Now that I did the thing with the adb I have the same problem. Small screen flash when the rate changes.
    Yes, because you are in adaptive mode now. Adaptive is working but not the high mode. I will push an update to fix this soon.