• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Mods, Screen-off Mods and More)

Search This thread

alba4k

Mar 6, 2021
I have two big issues:
1) The AOD auto brightness got ****ed up, it often just disables the AOD (even tho it's technically active, but just at 0% brightness) in dark rooms. The AOD then comes back to life when the phone is exposed to light again
2) the refresh rate often locks on 48hz. this often happens when I unlock my phone (SM-G991B) or use the keyboard. the fast adjusting of the refresh rate also often causes the percieved brightness to flicker a lot while typing (since the refresh rate randomly goes from 48 to 60 to 96). When it decides to lock at 60, the only two ways to fix it are
a) locking and unlocking the device
b) waiting for the refresh rate to go back down to 48hz, then use the phone again to make it go again to 96hz.

Any fixes for this two issues @tribalfs ? Would really be appreciated!

And also, a question: I've bought the premium version for the app, throught the play store. Will I be able to use the access code again, for example if I change phone or uninstall the app?

It also only happens with adaptive set to to 48-96, Nottingham with 47-120

Last edited:

alba4k

Mar 6, 2021
I have two big issues:
1) The AOD auto brightness got ****ed up, it often just disables the AOD (even tho it's technically active, but just at 0% brightness) in dark rooms. The AOD then comes back to life when the phone is exposed to light again
2) the refresh rate often locks on 48hz. this often happens when I unlock my phone (SM-G991B) or use the keyboard. the fast adjusting of the refresh rate also often causes the percieved brightness to flicker a lot while typing (since the refresh rate randomly goes from 48 to 60 to 96). When it decides to lock at 60, the only two ways to fix it are
b) waiting for the refresh rate to go back down to 48hz, then use the phone again to make it go again to 96hz.

And also, a question: I've bought the premium version for the app, throught the play store. Will I be able to use the access code again, for example if I change phone or uninstall the app?
@tribalfs or anyone, please

I have two big issues:

It's because battery management, you can enable anything for this app but batt management will force and close the app

eric0330

Oct 17, 2021
Hi, i've just got my smg9910 and wanna use the app, but i have a problem.
When i set 96hz adaptive, it works in 96hz at first, and go down to 60hz. Then it stucks at 60hz, couldn't back to 96hz when i touch the screen. btw 96hz high mode works great.
I have granted the permission and clear the app data, but still not work.
Hope someone can help me!

Tearm

Sep 28, 2011
S21 Hong Kong (sm-g9910). All great but stucks at 60hz after unlock the phone in 1 minute or so. Then freq go back to normal. Battery optimization is off for the app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    screenshot_20210316-052014_galaxy-max-hz-jpg.5251193

About this app:
    • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Switch to High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices natively supporting Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
      • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
      • Galaxy Z Fold 2
      • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

The following are Ad-Free Exclusives/Extras :

• Adaptive refresh rate mod: Experimental adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates that do not natively support Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series)***
    • Quick power-doze mod: Automatic power saving mode and quick doze mode on screen-off***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if available)***

• Keep motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled - either manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Ad-Free Trial is available. Just click "Activate Ad-free" button and click "More info" on the snackbar prompt that will appear.
    ***these marked features require one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Download link, FAQs and more info in original xda thread.

For any suspected bug, you can send me a direct message or post it here. Read the FAQs also to check if it is not an intended/expected behavior. Please include your device model number, OS version, app version and the steps to reproduce the bug. If possible, attaching a screen recording can be very helpful.
    v6.64.10 is up! :)
    - Fixed intermittent bug of freezing refresh rate to lowest hz after unlock when force lowest Hz mod is enabled
    But i thnik its a bug like the note 20 ultra the furst time... All in one the Software on the s21 ultra seems a bit "beta" like
    Currently rolling out in Honk Kong... This could be the update that fixes how low the refresh rate goes.
    Samsung's Note20 Ultra Variable Refresh Rate Display Explained (anandtech.com)

This article explains the refresh rates and the difference between the 60/120hz we see on the overlay (which I believe this app uses) and the 10hz figure quoted by samsung, which is at a hardware/driver level.

The only real way to tell if it is dropping below 60hz is comparing power drain, and at the moment the S21U power draw at 60hz and adaptive is very similar. You can see in the link below, that the adaptive refresh is working, as in low brightness (<40lux) where the phone is forced to 120hz mode regardless of content vs the reduced power consumption when in >40lux.

Investigating The Galaxy S21 Ultra New OLED Emitter: Huge Efficiency Improvements (anandtech.com)

Also when I use the BT Sport app on myS21U in full screen, the overlay drops to 48hz, so it does work, just app dependent (i.e. YouTube stays at 60), and the UI seems to default to 60hz unless told otherwise.
    Then yes it should go lower than 60 or 48 :)