Search This thread

BrightEyes16

May 19, 2022
Please check answer in FAQs here

Hi, thanks for reply, but I did already read the FAQ.

Note that Accessibility Service access is given on my phone. I am specifically talking about Background Check in Developer Options, which can be turned off independently of Accessibility Service access.

The FAQ says about Accessibility Service: "The general reason is for better stability of features which are requiring background service." but doesn't say which specific features, and doesn't mention the Background Check option.

It also says "Accessibility service is specially needed for Adaptive Mod on non-adaptive device and for overriding the default minimum hz for adaptive to lower one(s)" but I can see that when I turn Background Check off in developer settings, these features still work.

I have also checked with screen off on adb:

>> adb shell dumpsys content
Data connected: true
Battery saver: true
Background network restriction: whitelisted
Auto sync: u0=false
Storage low: false
Clock valid: true
Accounts: 17
Now: 134717513 (2022-05-21 15:42:06)
Uptime: 1d13h25m17s
Time spent syncing: 2m37s, sync not in progress

That all seems to be working fine too with Background Check off in developer options.

So I'm just left being curious what having Background Check on for Galaxy Max Hz actually does and if it is using unnecessary battery power.

Thanks!

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20220521-155116.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20220521-155116.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 57

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Hi, thanks for reply, but I did already read the FAQ.

Note that Accessibility Service access is given on my phone. I am specifically talking about Background Check in Developer Options, which can be turned off independently of Accessibility Service access.

The FAQ says about Accessibility Service: "The general reason is for better stability of features which are requiring background service." but doesn't say which specific features, and doesn't mention the Background Check option.

It also says "Accessibility service is specially needed for Adaptive Mod on non-adaptive device and for overriding the default minimum hz for adaptive to lower one(s)" but I can see that when I turn Background Check off in developer settings, these features still work.

I have also checked with screen off on adb:

>> adb shell dumpsys content
Data connected: true
Battery saver: true
Background network restriction: whitelisted
Auto sync: u0=false
Storage low: false
Clock valid: true
Accounts: 17
Now: 134717513 (2022-05-21 15:42:06)
Uptime: 1d13h25m17s
Time spent syncing: 2m37s, sync not in progress

That all seems to be working fine too with Background Check off in developer options.

So I'm just left being curious what having Background Check on for Galaxy Max Hz actually does and if it is using unnecessary battery power.

Thanks!
Ahh sorry. I misinterpreted your question.
Background check in dev option is the same as the app requesting background activity. When enabled, it's the same as putting it in "unrestricted" in app info > battery options. Disabling it is same as "restricted".
Yes you can do disable it - if the app it runs stable on your phone, then it's good.
Though I recommend putting the app "unrestricted" background activity and let it manage itself.

Gymcode

Jan 21, 2019
May I know if this is supported for Google Pixel 5? I tried Adaptive on Power Saving mode, but it was unsuccessful, and it is stuck at 60Hz

20mark

Nov 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
Hello, i was using this app in the past months, working flawless. now after several weekly updates i completely forgot about it and did a check..well, galaxy max hz is not working anymore for me. im on Xiaomi Mi11Ultra, latest at time of writing 22.5.11 beta, already tried to delete app data, uninstall app and reboot and configure galaxy max hz again with suggested settings, but when i do dumpsys display i always get 120hz.

PRIORITY_MIUI_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}
PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_PEAK_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}
PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_MIN_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=Infinity, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}

i've exluded the app from miui optimization, im on root so i gave root perms,still can't figure it out what prevents me to switch from 120hz to 60 when not touching screen.
my list of magisk modules is : magisk bootlop protector, rboard themes, systemless host and zygisk lsposed.
Also tried different galaxy max Hz versions, hoping that going backwards will fix my issue but not getting any luck. Tried reflashing rom again, still no luck. what could be happened that prevents me to switch from 120hz?

Thronius

Dec 8, 2015
Hello, I've been using the app for a couple of days and noticed one issue, for example when using TikTok, I get constant 120-60hz switching as if detection is stuck in loop, it only gets fixed after I open Galaxy Max Hz app. Any log dumps I could provide to help pinpoint the issue?

Divyam73g

Jul 19, 2015
@tribalfs
I traded in my Tab S7+ for the S22 Ultra and i had bought the premium version for my Tab S7+, so how should i transfer the activation code to my S22 Ultra?

Right now it's showing that the activation code is invalid.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Hello, I've been using the app for a couple of days and noticed one issue, for example when using TikTok, I get constant 120-60hz switching as if detection is stuck in loop, it only gets fixed after I open Galaxy Max Hz app. Any log dumps I could provide to help pinpoint the issue?
Hi! what device?

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
May I know if this is supported for Google Pixel 5? I tried Adaptive on Power Saving mode, but it was unsuccessful, and it is stuck at 60Hz

Hello, i was using this app in the past months, working flawless. now after several weekly updates i completely forgot about it and did a check..well, galaxy max hz is not working anymore for me. im on Xiaomi Mi11Ultra, latest at time of writing 22.5.11 beta, already tried to delete app data, uninstall app and reboot and configure galaxy max hz again with suggested settings, but when i do dumpsys display i always get 120hz.

PRIORITY_MIUI_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}
PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_PEAK_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=120.0, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}
PRIORITY_USER_SETTING_MIN_REFRESH_RATE -> Vote{width=-1, height=-1, minRefreshRate=0.0, maxRefreshRate=Infinity, disableRefreshRateSwitching=false, baseModeRefreshRate=0.0}

i've exluded the app from miui optimization, im on root so i gave root perms,still can't figure it out what prevents me to switch from 120hz to 60 when not touching screen.
my list of magisk modules is : magisk bootlop protector, rboard themes, systemless host and zygisk lsposed.
Also tried different galaxy max Hz versions, hoping that going backwards will fix my issue but not getting any luck. Tried reflashing rom again, still no luck. what could be happened that prevents me to switch from 120hz?
Hi! GMH doesn't officially support non-samsung but will try to help. Please send me a direct message.

mourao

Mar 6, 2013
Aracaju
First of all, thanks for the app! I bought the premium on the first day of use due to how good it is :)

However, one thing I noticed is that the refresh rate goes down to 10hz even while watching reels on instagram or videos on relay (reddit app), making those videos stutter a lot until I touch the screen. Is that a know issue, or is there some way for me to provide more info?

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
First of all, thanks for the app! I bought the premium on the first day of use due to how good it is :)

However, one thing I noticed is that the refresh rate goes down to 10hz even while watching reels on instagram or videos on relay (reddit app), making those videos stutter a lot until I touch the screen. Is that a know issue, or is there some way for me to provide more info?
Hi! Thank you.What device? Do you have the latest update?

Thomasfp

Aug 29, 2018
Hello
On the Galaxy s22 Exynos Android 12, the application does not work well. Does not refresh the screen smoothly after waking up, there are jerks.
Regards

vsnst

Dec 2, 2016
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
20220602_173738.jpg

I manage to get WQHD 2k+120hz adaptive, under some condition.

It's quite useless actually , it never gets above 60hz because of hardware limit.

However, I get 2K + 48~60hz adaptive at least. That's important to me.

Normally, if you set WQHD, it does not give the adaptive options for you. Which means, no 60~48hz adaptive.

It works usually after system update.

It will be dismissed after restart or switch to Normal Mode.

OS, note20ultra, AN12, ONEUI 4.1,Galaxy Max 7.14.4

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For those who are interested to try/test. Major changes are made to this version including the added per-app settings and separate min max hz settings for power saving mode. Completely redesigned (OneUI inspired). I'll write the complete change list later. Still on Alpha - unexpected behaviors may occur.
    Clearing app data is required after installing.
    Thank you.
    The latest update seams to allow 120Hz with battery economy on. I've seen a video with it working fine on a S22 ultra, but on my Note 20 ultra it does not work. Any advice about it?
    can you add 70% cpu limit function? The default on the device is battery saving mode, but can you do a separate function?
    Write me if you are ready :) would like to try this :) but i will make clean install then :)
    You can already download in the link above. :)
    Mate very nice New Design in my opinion. Everything is working like before. Will tell you if i find any Bugs :)
    GridArt_20220121_203251929x.jpg

About this app:
    • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+, z fold 3, z flip 3). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Force High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness***. Current Samsung smartphones that natively support adaptive refresh rates include Galaxy Note20 Ultra.

• Refresh Rate Monitor: Show real-time screen refresh rate as statusbar icon and/or as overlay. Overlay size and location is adjustable. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode:The app will apply a workaround to bypass 60Hz limitation on Power Saving Mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***
      Note: Stopped working out-of-the-box on Note 20 Ultra updated to OneUI4.*.
      Extra steps to bypass restriction on OneUI4.*. After selecting Adaptive or High in GMH while on power saving mode, do either:
      - Do a quick video call to "1" or any number using the stock video call (not google duo). Availability depends on network support
      OR
      - Connect and disconnect to a wifi display or miracast receiver (e.g. smart tv, chromecast, windows laptops) using the Smart View function (Credits to @albiGib and @rblckmnjr84 for sharing the discovery)

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since oneui3.0) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Tasker plugin support: Automate GMH settings with Tasker app. Supported actions/variables: max refresh rate, min refresh rate, keep smooth motion on PSM, motion smoothness mode, quick-doze mod, change dispaly resolution, auto sensors off. More info in FAQs below

Premium Features:

• Keep High/Adaptive motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled The app will automatically apply a workaround to bypass 60Hz limitation on Power Saving Mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***
      Note: Stopped working out-of-the-box on Note 20 Ultra updated to OneUI4.*.
      Extra steps to bypass restriction on OneUI4.*. After selecting Adaptive or High in GMH while on power saving mode, do either:
      - Do a quick video call to "1" or any number using the stock video call (not google duo)
      OR
      - Connect and disconnect to a wifi display or miracast receiver (e.g. smart tv, chromecast, windows laptops) using the Smart View function (Credits to @albiGib and @rblckmnjr84 for sharing the discovery)

• Adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the stock Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+) with the ability to set the brightness threshold for its activation***

• Quick-doze mod: Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion ***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if supported)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Auto turn off Autosync: Turn off autosync settings while the screen is off.

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround):
      Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked. This helps minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks while device is not being used.

• Battery protect mod - option to set maximum charge from 85%-95%(for OneUI4+) (Experimental)

• Statusbar net speed indicator
    • 3-day Premium Trial is available. Just click "Activate Premium|Trial" button and activate free trial when prompted.
    Note: The premium license is on a per device basis (not per user).

***these marked features require a one-time ADB procedure (this is not root)

Galaxy Max Hz background service is highly optimized. Background battery consumption of this app is very negligible .

Info: This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup or root. Just tap OK the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time. If OK button is not visible, just tap the blank space on the lowest portion of the dialog.

Download
    Latest stable (v7.14.58)
    v8.00-beta
    CAUTION!!! SOMEONE IS TRYING TO TAMPER THIS APP AND FILL IT WITH TROJAN. DON'T DOWNLOAD ELSEWHERE

Please read
    FAQs, changelogs and more information here (specially before asking questions or reporting bugs).

Demo video of v5.4. More features have been added in the later versions

Localization/Translations

Contributors
    Italian: @Orlaf
    German:devj3ns, drbeat
    Russian: @a43
    Swedish:Steffe2
    Turkish: osmanakar312
    Greek: Nick
    Spanish: @Sebastiansm
    Czech: Chrono Leggionaire
    Simplified Chinese: xiaolu7233123
    French: Jaxom84
    Polish: Pichulec
    If you want to contribute on translations, please send me a message.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)

Questions and Bug Reports:

Note: Please post on the dedicated xda forum thread for your device/model. If no such dedicated thread, please send me a direct message instead.

Feel free to ask questions relevant to this app here but ensure to read the FAQs first before doing so.

To report bugs, you can submit a bug report form in github
    or message me the
    details needed.

Warranty:

The app is provided AS IS with no express warranty. Due to the nature of this app = its usage of hidden, non-sdk and non-public apis to execute most of its features, it is not guaranteed that all of its features are going to work in the future android iterations, should the new or updated iterations block/disable them. Attempts for workaround will still be exerted but positive outcome is not always guaranteed.

Sharing Outside XDA:

Feel free to share this app anywhere as long as proper credits and reference to this thread are provided. Do not create any alternative download link. This is to ensure that users get the untampered installation file, latest information and latest updates of this app.

Changelogs:

Try to clear data of this app if you encounter issues after update.
    Please report any bug that persist. Thank you.

Please check here for the latest changelogs

Previous changelogs (old app)

v5.40
    - Fixed landscape orientation layout bug and other layout improvements
    - Added support for Note 20 Ultra Non-5G models (all features)

v5.26
    - Fixed disabled "High/Fixed Motion Smoothness Mode" switcher on Galaxy Z Fold 2. You should be able to use this function now in Z Fold 2.
    - Fixed force close bug on Galaxy Z Fold 2
    -Fixed missing resolution label for Galaxy S20 series
    - Other code clean up

v5.20
    - Qs tiles for refresh rate control and resolution switcher now have dynamic icons. Better visibility for partially expanded notification panel.
    - Added high/fixed refresh rate mode/option for Galaxy Note20 Ultra and Z Fold2. If enabled, the device will be set to 'High Motion Smoothness' mode and refresh rates will behave like the Galaxy S20 series.

v5.00
    - Added support for Galaxy S20, S20+, S20 Ultra and S20FE. Resolution switcher is not applicable to S20 FE.
    - Renamed app to Galaxy Max Hz

v4.00
    -Added 'Resolution - Motion Smoothness Mode' switcher (button and qs tile). Switch resolution and motion smoothness mode anytime even on medium power saving mode. This specific function requires ADB.

v3.00
    - Changed overlay display FPS to screen refresh rate (Hz)
    - Refresh rate monitor now switches color to red if 60hz or below and to green if above 60hz
    - Added toggle switch for refresh rate monitor on app's home screen

v2.00
    - The 3-way toggle button and quick settings (qs) tile are now aware if the current Motion Smoothness mode is set to Adaptive or not. If not, they will show 'Standard' and will open the display settings when clicked
    - The switch for the FPS monitor overlay is moved to a new qs tile. You can now turn the FPS monitor ON/OFF anywhere without opening the app.
    - Changed text color of fps monitor from red to green. Green color has the longest lifespan in amoled, so lesser chance of amoled burn.

v1.00 Initial release

If you want to get GMH Premium features and/or support GMH development but paypal is not available in your place, you can use Google Play Store.
    Just download GMH Donation app from Google Play Store.

Note: The price might be slightly higher due to the relatively higher tax imposed on play store.
    Apologies for being inactive in the past weeks due to some medical/family reasons.
    I will still be inactive in the next 1 or 2 weeks.
    Thank you for understanding.
    GMH_v7.14.16 in-app update now available:
    -fixed bug: unable to turn off accessibility when no feature requiring such is enabled
    -experimental workaround for enabling Adaptive/High refresh rate on PSM on OneUi4.0
    -other bug fixes
    v7.12.20 in-app update is now available. :)
    - Fixed intermittent bugs:
    - Power saving mode on screen-off: PSM not turning off back on screen on.
    - Turn-off autosync on screen off: autosync not turning on back on screen on