[App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Mods, Screen-off Mods, QS Tiles, Tasker Support and More)

Search This thread

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
About this app:
  • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+, z fold 3, z flip 3). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

Please check note for 96Hz on S21 here

• Force High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
    • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    • Galaxy Z Fold 2
    • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra
    • Galaxy Z Flip 3
    • Galaxy Z Fold 3
  • Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since oneui3.0) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Tasker support: Automate GMH settings with tasker app. Supported actions/variables: Max Refresh Rate, Keep Motion Smoothness on PSM, Motion Smoothness Mode, Quick-doze Mod, Change Screen Resolution, Auto Sensors Off. More info in FAQs below.

Premium Features:

• Keep High/Adaptive motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled whether manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the stock Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+) with the ability to set the brightness threshold for its activation***

• Quick-doze mod: Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion ***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if supported)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround):
    Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked. This helps minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks while device is not being used.

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Premium Trial is available. Just click "Activate Premium|Trial" button and activate free trial when prompted.

Note: The premium license is on a per device basis.
***these marked features require a one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Info: This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup. Just ignore the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time.

Download

Note for S21:

Read FAQs and more info in
here

Attachments

• 1613748267407.png
    1613748267407.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 2,202
Last edited:

Corlan

Jan 20, 2011
WIll be interesting to see if this makes much of a difference. With the S21 touted as having dynamic refresh rate adjustment, it shouldn't be needed, in theory.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
WIll be interesting to see if this makes much of a difference. With the S21 touted as having dynamic refresh rate adjustment, it shouldn't be needed, in theory.
You got the wrong theory.
It's not the first to have the adaptive refresh rate, note 20 ultra is. Been using this on note 20 ultra .
Though refresh rate is adaptive, phone is using the highest refresh rate (i.e. 120hz) atleast 80% of the time.
Setting the max to 96hz definitely consumes less battery than 120hz.
And this is not only what you can do with this app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Corlan

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
One question: us the 60hz also adaptive? Goes down to 10hz when not in use?
Sorry your question is not clear to me.
But if you are asking for smartphones with standard refresh rate (i.e. 60hz), I think they are all on a single 60hz refresh rate (i.e. fixed). I have not known any which can go lower than 60hz, moreso on the capability to go as low as 10hz. In fact, the S21 Ultra is the only smartphone capable to do so as of the moment.

Goku1992

Sorry your question is not clear to me.
But if you are asking for smartphones with standard refresh rate (i.e. 60hz), I think they are all on a single 60hz refresh rate (i.e. fixed). I have not known any which can go lower than 60hz, moreso on the capability to go as low as 10hz. In fact, the S21 Ultra is the only smartphone capable to do so as of the moment.
Sorry. On the s21 ultra does the 60hz mode is also adaptive?

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Sorry. On the s21 ultra does the 60hz mode is also adaptive?
Sorry I don't know yet.
But if we based it on the existing implementation of Samsung in Note 20 Ultra's "standard mode", it is not lowering down to 48hz (the lowest refresh rate it is capable) when the screen is idle or if it has static content or even when the screen is turned-off or in AOD.

If fact this is true even in Adaptive Mode - Samsung actually (and strangely) sets it to the highest refresh rate (120hz) when in AOD or when screen is off. Watch closely this video. This is the reason why this app includes a "Screen off refresh rate mod" to override this behavior.

Not sure though if this will be the same for S21 Ultra.

Last edited:

Goku1992

Sorry I don't know yet.
But if we based it on the existing implementation of Samsung in Note 20 Ultra's "standard mode", it is not lowering down to 48hz (the lowest refresh rate it is capable) when the screen is idle or if it has static content or even when the screen is turned-off or in AOD.

If fact this is true even in Adaptive Mode - Samsung actually (and strangely) sets it to the highest refresh rate (120hz) when in AOD or when screen is off. Watch closely this video. This is the reason why this app includes a "Screen off refresh rate mod" to override this behavior.

Not sure though if this will be the same for S21 Ultra.
Mate i will try when i receive my s21 ultra. But logistic is busy there, should have received it yesterday... Hope tomorrow...

Reactions: tribalfs

minhgurluver

Jun 19, 2010
I'm running into the following error while trying to set up the ADB on phone using my laptop:

adb: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

I didn't see any popup requesting permission on my phone. Any advice?

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
I'm running into the following error while trying to set up the ADB on phone using my laptop:

adb: device unauthorized.
This adb server's $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try 'adb kill-server' if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.

I didn't see any popup requesting permission on my phone. Any advice?
Try to do the following:
Disconnect USB > Turn off USB debugging > Revoke USB debugging authorization > Turn-on USB debugging
You can then resume to procedures described here.

Reactions: minhgurluver

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
This app can:

• Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones. You can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root not needed.

• Choose to apply adaptive/dynamic or high/fixed refresh rate on supported Samsung smartphones ***

• Show real-time refresh rate monitor. You can observe how adaptive/dynamic refresh rate works on different screens. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile ***

• Quickly switch resolution and/or motion smoothness mode anytime even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones ***

• Set the screen OFF refresh rate to the lowest available on supported Samsung devices. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (at least on Note 20 ultra) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root not needed.

*** requires one-time ADB setup

Info: This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup. Just ignore the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time.

Note: Note yet actually tested on Galaxy S21/S21+/S21Ultra but this should work out of the box.

Please report any bug that you will find.

DOWNLOAD LINKS:

Original xda thread
Works on s21 ultra. I have 96hz set and it drops to 60 when you aren't touching the screen. Also the screen off mode could be improved. It drops to 48hz but lowest on s21 is 10hz.

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Works on s21 ultra. I have 96hz set and it drops to 60 when you aren't touching the screen. Also the screen off mode could be improved. It drops to 48hz but lowest on s21 is 10hz.
I'll check that.
Can you share screenshot of the app showing the upper portion?
If you disable screen off mode, what is the screen off refresh rate shown?
Thanks.

Last edited:

nxneko

Dec 29, 2012
Orlando
I'll check that.
Thanks.

I have identical behavior so seems like its just s21ultra tweak needed in general.

(Limited it to 96hz for now though thank you!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-143810_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-143810_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Screenshot_20210129-143756_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-143756_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 422

adamlee2012

Jun 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I'll check that.
Thanks.
With the option turned off its 60hz by default. The s21 ultra is capable of 10hz

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-212202_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-212202_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 341
  • Screenshot_20210129-212158_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-212158_Galaxy Max Hz.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 341

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About this app:
    • Refresh Rate Control: Easily control the max refresh rate (Hz) of android devices with multiple refresh rates (e.g. note20 ultra, s20/S20+/S20Ultra, z fold 2, s21/s21+/s21Ultra, tab S7/S7+, z fold 3, z flip 3). This app can limit max refresh rate to 96hz (or any available refresh rate) on supported smartphones - you can save power with negligible difference on smoothness. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

Please check note for 96Hz on S21 here

• Force High: Option to use High(Fixed) motion smoothness mode on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness***

Current Samsung smartphones natively supporting adaptive refresh rates:
      • Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
      • Galaxy Z Fold 2
      • Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra
      • Galaxy Z Flip 3
      • Galaxy Z Fold 3
    • Refresh Rate Monitor: Observe how multiple refresh rates work on your device. Use either the in-app toggle or quick settings tile

• Quick Resolution Switcher: Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***

• Quick High/Adaptive on Power Saving Mode: Easily switch to high or adaptive motion smoothness mode (from Standard) even on power saving mode on supported Samsung smartphones.***

• Force to Lowest Hz: Force lowest refresh rate on screen-off/AOD. This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since oneui3.0) - to improve standby power consumption a bit - ADB setup or Root NOT needed.

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Tasker support: Automate GMH settings with tasker app. Supported actions/variables: Max Refresh Rate, Keep Motion Smoothness on PSM, Motion Smoothness Mode, Quick-doze Mod, Change Screen Resolution, Auto Sensors Off. More info in FAQs below.

Premium Features:

• Keep High/Adaptive motion smoothness when power saving mode is enabled whether manually or by the system/adaptive power saving***

• Adaptive refresh rate mod for devices supporting multiple refresh rates but do not have the stock Adaptive motion smoothness (e.g. S20 series, S20FE, TabS7/S7+) with the ability to set the brightness threshold for its activation***

• Quick-doze mod: Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion ***

• Set minimum refresh rate for adaptive mode to 60hz or lower (if supported)***

• Resolution switcher filter: Filter what screen resolutions to include for the resolution switcher QS tile.

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround):
      Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked. This helps minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks while device is not being used.

• Statusbar net speed indicator

• 7-day Premium Trial is available. Just click "Activate Premium|Trial" button and activate free trial when prompted.

Note: The premium license is on a per device basis.
    ***these marked features require a one-time ADB setup (this is not root)

Download

Note for S21:

Read FAQs and more info in
    here
    v6.64.10 is up! :)
    - Fixed intermittent bug of freezing refresh rate to lowest hz after unlock when force lowest Hz mod is enabled
    Hello, with the new update, my s21 dont go to 96 in adaptative, only go 120 to 60 to 48, con i fix that ? Thanks
    Same here, any fix? Thnaks @tribalfs
    On my S21 in the adaptive mode, it can go up as high as 60Hz but it can go down to 48hz. I have to set a HIGH profile and set it to 96, but then it does not drop to 48Hz. So do I have to buy a premium for that feature?

https://ibb.co/ygC5v9d
    In certain low brightness condition, the system prevents it to go 96Hz on S21. Samsung seems to have increased the brightness threshold for 96Hz in OneUI4.1. Unfortunately, GMH can't override this behavior. It reportedly works on power saving on lower brightness though as reported by @sideger below.

I'm here to confirm this is happening to me also. I can only have 96hz on PSM and only at certain brightness of about 45%.

I do hope it goes back to before where I can set around 20% ish brightness and still have 96hz.
    But i thnik its a bug like the note 20 ultra the furst time... All in one the Software on the s21 ultra seems a bit "beta" like
    Currently rolling out in Honk Kong... This could be the update that fixes how low the refresh rate goes.
    Samsung's Note20 Ultra Variable Refresh Rate Display Explained (anandtech.com)

This article explains the refresh rates and the difference between the 60/120hz we see on the overlay (which I believe this app uses) and the 10hz figure quoted by samsung, which is at a hardware/driver level.

The only real way to tell if it is dropping below 60hz is comparing power drain, and at the moment the S21U power draw at 60hz and adaptive is very similar. You can see in the link below, that the adaptive refresh is working, as in low brightness (<40lux) where the phone is forced to 120hz mode regardless of content vs the reduced power consumption when in >40lux.

Investigating The Galaxy S21 Ultra New OLED Emitter: Huge Efficiency Improvements (anandtech.com)

Also when I use the BT Sport app on myS21U in full screen, the overlay drops to 48hz, so it does work, just app dependent (i.e. YouTube stays at 60), and the UI seems to default to 60hz unless told otherwise.