Themes / Apps / Mods [App]Galaxy Max Hz (Refresh Rate Mods, Screen-off Mods, QS Tiles, Tasker Support and More)

Search This thread

neogodless

Nov 9, 2010
I apologize if this has been covered - I tried to search the thread and it kept saying an error occurred.

I'm using an S21 Ultra with OneUI 4.1.

I installed GalaxyMaxHzPub, and successfully enabled WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS, which enabled the UI of the application.

However, with High mode setting, the phone is still acting as if it's on Adaptive, continually dropping to 60 Hz when not scrolling, on the home page, or in certain apps.

Is there something I can do to ensure it stays at a fixed 120 hz?

ETA: Clicked through the thread and saw the suggestion in other places to clear app data. Tried that, and at least so far, it does appear to be working. Of course, I'll update if I see the issue again.

Thanks so much for this. I have had two concussions, and I'm really sensitive to lower refresh rates. My phone options were a bit limited by this, but 120 Hz seems to be an acceptable floor for now. (My 90Hz OnePlus 7 Pro was a bit too low.)

ETA2: Yes - spoke too soon. After the screen shuts off and resumes, it still will often cut down to 60Hz. Is this preventable?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220930-093006_Galaxy MaxHz.jpg
    Screenshot_20220930-093006_Galaxy MaxHz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 99

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
I apologize if this has been covered - I tried to search the thread and it kept saying an error occurred.

I'm using an S21 Ultra with OneUI 4.1.

I installed GalaxyMaxHzPub, and successfully enabled WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS, which enabled the UI of the application.

However, with High mode setting, the phone is still acting as if it's on Adaptive, continually dropping to 60 Hz when not scrolling, on the home page, or in certain apps.

Is there something I can do to ensure it stays at a fixed 120 hz?

ETA: Clicked through the thread and saw the suggestion in other places to clear app data. Tried that, and at least so far, it does appear to be working. Of course, I'll update if I see the issue again.

Thanks so much for this. I have had two concussions, and I'm really sensitive to lower refresh rates. My phone options were a bit limited by this, but 120 Hz seems to be an acceptable floor for now. (My 90Hz OnePlus 7 Pro was a bit too low.)

ETA2: Yes - spoke too soon. After the screen shuts off and resumes, it still will often cut down to 60Hz. Is this preventable?
Please check v8.0.0.3 in-app update. Thank you.

Reactions: neogodless

omek07

Oct 15, 2007
I have updated to 8.0.0.7 version and I have this problem now . Please see picture
Cleared data and now it's fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015_143024_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015_143024_Device care.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 64

twinko

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Hi @tribalfs
I found your comment about the Samsung s21 ultra regarding the missing 10hz option.
Im really confused by that. It states on the product page and multiple forum and blog posts (eg anandtech) the 10hz is possible and probably working, but not showing on the build in hz counter.

So are you sure, the minimum is 48hz for s21ultra?

Regards
Yes, S21U does not support 10hz PANEL refresh rate. Samsung is referring to a different definition of screen refresh rate for its marketing.
Where did anantech mentioned 10Hz on S21U?

Reactions: Luispacheco2552

twinko

Yes, S21U does not support 10hz PANEL refresh rate. Samsung is referring to a different definition of screen refresh rate for its marketing.
Where did anantech mentioned 10Hz on S21U?

They refere to there note 20 ultra article. Basicly the panel behaves the same:

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16469/investigating-the-galaxy-s21-ultra-display

The panel of the S21 Ultra, much like the Note20 Ultra, uses a new hybrid oxide and polycrystalline backplane technology which is roughly equivalent to LTPO display technologies, and allows it to enable low refresh rates and seamless switching between refresh rates.

We’ve covered this new VRR (variable refresh rate) extensively in our screen analysis of the Note20 Ultra and how it works transparently to the hardware, and how the LFD (low-frequency drive) is able to achieve great power efficiency benefits when in the “Adaptive” screen refresh rate mode.

In this regard, the Galaxy S21 Ultra behaves the same as the Note20 Ultra.

And in the note article you can read:

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1606...fresh-rate-display-explained-vrr-note20-ultra

Based on the output shown below, the LFD operating modes do showcase that it is programmed to work with Samsung’s advertised low operating frequencies, all the way down to 1Hz. The low frequency driver operation also seems to be a sub-mode underneath the higher level VRR operating modes, with these being the actual modes that the phone switches between in a finer manner using the MIPI-DSI interface.
But the artical is way longer and way more in depth :)

tribalfs

Mar 28, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
They refere to there note 20 ultra article. Basicly the panel behaves the same:

And in the note article you can read:

But the artical is way longer and way more in depth :)
It says "advertized" but Anatech was not really able to confirmed it. .

It's most likely referring to surface refresh rate than the Panel refresh rate.

Read about samsung's inconsistencies in it's refresh rate specs and acknowledgment of not using the standard definition of screen refresh rate:
"The display refresh rate was originally listed between 10 and 120Hz (10 to 120 frames per second), and we later opted to update how we communicate this specification in order to be in line with the more widely-recognized industry standard. Consumers can be assured there has been no change of hardware specifications, and both devices support up to 120Hz for super smooth scrolling."

Last edited:
Reactions: twinko

Khalid Madkour

Mar 13, 2016
I purchased a license about few months ago and everything was perfect. After installing beta on my s21U, the app cannot detect my premium license. can you help please?

twinko

That will vary. Start maybe with 12. Increase 1step at a time if you still noticing flickers on low brightness.
Hey @tribalfs

I did exactly what you said here and everything works fine when i set the hz range from 48-120.
As soon as i change max hz to 96, my screen keeps on flickering even when i crank brightness threshold to 100.

Can you help?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_20220819-154703_Galaxy MaxHz.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-154652_Galaxy MaxHz.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-154719_Galaxy MaxHz.jpg

About this app:

Refresh Rate Mods

• Change default refresh rates
      -Easily change the overall refresh rate settings of devices supporting multiple refresh rates.
      -Set supported mid refresh rates as the maximum refresh rate limit for battery savings (e.g. 96hz instead of 120Hz).
      -Quick settings shortcut
      -tasker plugin support.

• Motion smoothness mode switcher(Normal, Adaptive or High)***
      -Set you device motion smoothness mode to stationary refresh rates (high mode) for better smoothness if so desired on Samsung devices with native Adaptive motion smoothness with a little trade-off to the battery.
      -Apply adaptive mod on device that don't natively support adaptive mode [premium]
      -Tasker plugin support.

• Per-app refresh rate settings:
      Set different refresh rate settings for every app either adaptive or fixed(stationary) [premium].

• Motion smoothness on power saving mode ***
      -GMH will apply a workaround to bypass 60Hz limitation on Power Saving Mode (PSM) on supported Samsung smartphones.
      -Automatically apply workaround when PSM is enabled [premium]
      Need extra steps starting OneUI5.* except when rooted with magisk and using lsposed(experimental). Test it first

Screen-off Mods:
    • Force to Lowest Hz: Force the lowest refresh rate on screen-off or Always-On Display(AOD). This overrides Samsung's strange stock behavior which sets the refresh rate to the highest on screen off (update: it is now at 60hz since OneUI3.0) to improve standby power consumption a bit.
      -Tasker plugin support

• Auto apply power saving mode during screen-off (after ~ 10 secs)***

• Auto disable Autosync***

• Quick-doze mod
      -
      Quickly enter doze mode during screen-off that can not be interrupted by motion [premium].***
      -Tasker plugin support

• Auto SENSORS OFF (experimental non-root workaround)
      -Device sensors will automatically turn off while screen is off until the device is unlocked to help minimize battery-draining motion-triggered wakelocks while device is not being used.
      -Tasker plug-in support
      - Supports up to OneUI4.* only

Others
    • Battery protection mod (Experimental)
      -Option to set maximum charge to 86%-95%(for OneUI4+)[premium]

• Quick resolution switcher
      -Easily switch to any supported resolutions using the included quick setting tile***
      -Tasker plugin support
    • Customizable refresh rate monitor
      -
      Use statusbar or overlay which you can place anywhere on screen.
      -Tasker plugin support.

• Net speed statusbar indicator

OneUI inspired UI. Dynamic theme and Icon. Manual language selection

Note: The premium license is on a per device basis (not per user).

***these marked features require a one-time ADB procedure (this is not root)

Galaxy Max Hz background service is highly optimized. Background battery usage p is very negligible .

Info:
    This app targets older android sdk in order to control refresh rates without ADB setup or root. Just tap OK the dialog that says "This app was built for an older version of Android...." when opened for the first time. If OK button is not visible, just tap the blank space on the lowest portion of the dialog.

If google play protect will prompt during install that the app is built for older version of android and doesn't include the latest privacy protections, you can ignore it and proceed to the installation. For privacy related concern, please refer to FAQ No. 3.

Download|InstallationNotes|Changelogs
    Github wiki

Localization/Translations

Contributors
    Italian: @Orlaf
    German:devj3ns, drbeat
    Russian: @a43
    Swedish:Steffe2
    Turkish: osmanakar312
    Greek: Nick
    Spanish: @Sebastiansm
    Czech: @Chrono Leggionaire
    Simplified Chinese: @xiaolu7233123
    French: @Jaxom84
    Polish: @Pichulec
    If you want to contribute on translations, please send me a message

If you want to get GMH Premium features and/or support GMH development but paypal is not available in your place, you can use Google Play Store.
    Just download GMH Donation app from Google Play Store.

Note: The price might be slightly higher due to the relatively higher tax imposed on play store.
    Mate got a question for you, as many of us have issues with one wake lock, CameraService_worker. It trigger when you walk and only way to get rid of it is to disable sensors. Is there any chance you could make it happen in the app when screen is off? Add function for it as there is a tile from dev options but it's not perfect as it has to be done manually. Thanks
    Good suggestion. I have quick tile for sensors but maybe you could implement it in your app. Turn off when display off. Like with PSM
    Thank you for this suggestion. I'll do some research on this and check what I can do.
    v7.14.18 in-ap update:
    -Fixed bugs on OneUi4.0: brightness threshold for adaptive mod bug, netspeed indicator bug
    -Fixed bug on minimum hz tile and minimum hz tile tasker command
    Unfortunately no, that's a display calibration issue
    Mate got a question for you, as many of us have issues with one wake lock, CameraService_worker. It trigger when you walk and only way to get rid of it is to disable sensors. Is there any chance you could make it happen in the app when screen is off? Add function for it as there is a tile from dev options but it's not perfect as it has to be done manually. Thanks
    v7.14.00_beta now available
    Added auto SENSORS OFF experimental feature (no root needed).

1628178654581-jpeg.5378827