[APP] Get your Old Android Market Back

Search This thread

Omnichron

Dec 1, 2010
East Highland, CA
You know what distinguishes a good the from the from a bad on? The good one spend his time is helping others, while the bed one spend his is time consolidation power:D

There are no stupid question, every question is a quest for knowledge..Knowledge flows freely here at XDA! ask and ye shall b answered.:D

ThaNx to all the member that TEAM AD with the various tips and trick for this post I walk away, but my knowledge increased by the experiences shared with is wonderful group people. Long :confused:Live Android!

Installation:
1. Download files below, do not rename them! Transfer to SD Card.

2.* Use any file explorer and mount system as RW and delete file name (Root Explorer works nicely)‘Vending.APK’ and ‘MarketUpdater.apk’ from /system/app/. You can also delete folders com.android.vending and com.android.vending.updater in /data/data.
*Do a reboot.
* Open File explorer/ Root Explorer and Mount your file system as RW and copy ‘updater.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and do a reboot.
* Now, mount your file system as RW from explorer and copy ‘market.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and Reboot phone.

Edit: I feel retarded.. forgot to mention that this method is iffy on my rooted stock ROM, but it works great on my rooted custom rom.

[B said:
acolwill[/B];16952837]What functionality? All I see is fancy graphics designed for children and iRetards, there's no discernible change in how apps are grouped or searched for since version 2.12.
I have 5 android devices ranging from the HTC Hero up to the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the new market looks **** on every one. Application presentation is marred with oversized text and incessant scrolling, making it slower to actually see information pertinent to what you are looking at. Emphasis should be on the applications contained within the market, not the market application itself.
Other than that, the obfuscated way that application permissions are presented to a user in the newer versions makes it far too easy for the layman to install things with less than honourable permission requests. At least in version 2.12 you HAD to move your fingers around to accept permissions, since then all it takes is two jabs with a finger with little or no perceived consequence.

The fault lies with Google for forcing the new market style on users, no choices outside of root&destroy.

So thanks for actually taking the time for making the Google apps look nice, just let those whom want the 'clean' version have their say.

--

The attached Vending.apk is the "old" market. In order to install it, you must be rooted and you need either a little knowledge of ADB or Root Explorer from the market.

Using ADB;
Reboot into recovery and plug into pc, mount /system using your recovery
From your preferred ADB console:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb shell rm /system/app/MarketUpdater.apk
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Vending.apk
adb shell chown root.root /system/app/Vending.apk
Reboot.

Using Root Explorer;
Download apk to sdcard
mount /system rw
browse to /system/app
remove MarketUpdater.apk
remove Vending.apk
browse back to sdcard and copy the Vending.apk to /data/local/tmp
copy the Vending.apk from /data/local/tmp to /system/app
using permissions action, set permissions on Vending.apk [Owner: Read Write. Group: Read. Others: Read]
using set owner action, set owner to 0 - root, group to 0 - root.
Close and reboot.

The Root Explorer method may not work for all phones, and will not work on HTC phones which do not have s-off. The ADB method should work on any rooted device which previously had market access.

[B said:
here.david[/B];16956089]Thanks that worked BTW, on the Vibrant (MiUi) here is the command I used to mount without going into CWM....

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/stl9 /system
Reboot.
[B said:
nygmam[/B];16959137]I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

1) Using Titanium Backup (Or another app that lets you do this) either Freeze (Paid app) or Backup, then delete Market Update (Free App)
2) Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and scroll down to market, and select
3) Uninstall updates from Market

This is very easy to do, and you may be able to use other freeze or backup apps to achieve the same result. Also note, no reboot required.

Attachments

• market.apk
    1.8 MB · Views: 40,778
  • updater.apk
    5.3 KB · Views: 21,799
Last edited by a moderator:
I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

1) Using Titanium Backup (Or another app that lets you do this) either Freeze (Paid app) or Backup, then delete Market Update (Free App)
2) Go to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, and scroll down to market, and select

This is very easy to do, and you may be able to use other freeze or backup apps to achieve the same result. Also note, no reboot required.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
For some people the new market lags a lot especially on lower end phones, the last version was terrible for me so I had to use the old one but this latest update is a huge improvement, so i'll stick with it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA Premium App

nikosrs4

Nov 17, 2006
www.thelenscape.com
Xiaomi Poco F3
If you change the density of your phone's display, you wont't be able to download many apps(shazam free for example). It says that your device is incompatible, that's why I reverted back to the old market.

Sent from my HTC Desire

QBall45

Jul 23, 2011
Any chance this will work without root? My wife hates the new market.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Neo

Moderator Emeritus / The One - ΠΣΘ
Aug 4, 2011
The Matrix
Any chance this will work without root? My wife hates the new market.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Have you given a brief look at the benefits of root vs stock? Well worth it.. Just a little research about rooting your particular phone and you can do it quite simply

I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

i just downloaded the old market apk again and replaced it over the new one , and it worked :) , i have samsung galaxy s2 ,but still the new market is slow

If you don't delete or disable Market Updater, new market will return... Maybe not right away, but it will be back. Also no need to reinstall old market, it is still on your phone. Just see my post above on how to uninstall the updates to market (Step 2 and 3), just uninstall updates, and go back to market, accept teh T&C and you will be back using old market again.

bgodd

Aug 24, 2011
hello.

i'm using an xperia x10 mini E10i, and just did those steps. My market dissapeard, and now i don't know how to install it back( i didn't make a backup of the apks i deleted =( ). Can you please tell me what should i do?

I also tried GRRemlin's version and still doesn't work.

Thanks in advance. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You know what distinguishes a good the from the from a bad on? The good one spend his time is helping others, while the bed one spend his is time consolidation power:D

There are no stupid question, every question is a quest for knowledge..Knowledge flows freely here at XDA! ask and ye shall b answered.:D

ThaNx to all the member that TEAM AD with the various tips and trick for this post I walk away, but my knowledge increased by the experiences shared with is wonderful group people. Long :confused:Live Android!

Installation:
    1. Download files below, do not rename them! Transfer to SD Card.

2.* Use any file explorer and mount system as RW and delete file name (Root Explorer works nicely)‘Vending.APK’ and ‘MarketUpdater.apk’ from /system/app/. You can also delete folders com.android.vending and com.android.vending.updater in /data/data.
    *Do a reboot.
    * Open File explorer/ Root Explorer and Mount your file system as RW and copy ‘updater.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and do a reboot.
    * Now, mount your file system as RW from explorer and copy ‘market.apk’ from SD Card to /system/app/ and Reboot phone.

Edit: I feel retarded.. forgot to mention that this method is iffy on my rooted stock ROM, but it works great on my rooted custom rom.

[B said:
    acolwill[/B];16952837]What functionality? All I see is fancy graphics designed for children and iRetards, there's no discernible change in how apps are grouped or searched for since version 2.12.
    I have 5 android devices ranging from the HTC Hero up to the Samsung Galaxy Tab and the new market looks **** on every one. Application presentation is marred with oversized text and incessant scrolling, making it slower to actually see information pertinent to what you are looking at. Emphasis should be on the applications contained within the market, not the market application itself.
    Other than that, the obfuscated way that application permissions are presented to a user in the newer versions makes it far too easy for the layman to install things with less than honourable permission requests. At least in version 2.12 you HAD to move your fingers around to accept permissions, since then all it takes is two jabs with a finger with little or no perceived consequence.

The fault lies with Google for forcing the new market style on users, no choices outside of root&destroy.

So thanks for actually taking the time for making the Google apps look nice, just let those whom want the 'clean' version have their say.

--

The attached Vending.apk is the "old" market. In order to install it, you must be rooted and you need either a little knowledge of ADB or Root Explorer from the market.

Using ADB;
    Reboot.

Using Root Explorer;
    Download apk to sdcard
    mount /system rw
    browse to /system/app
    remove MarketUpdater.apk
    remove Vending.apk
    using permissions action, set permissions on Vending.apk [Owner: Read Write. Group: Read. Others: Read]
    Close and reboot.

The Root Explorer method may not work for all phones, and will not work on HTC phones which do not have s-off. The ADB method should work on any rooted device which previously had market access.

[B said:
    here.david[/B];16956089]Thanks that worked BTW, on the Vibrant (MiUi) here is the command I used to mount without going into CWM....

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/stl9 /system
    Reboot.
    [B said:
    nygmam[/B];16959137]I use a simple method, which works very well, and so far has not had a down side:

This worked for me ONLY after following the steps in OP and:

1. Changing the permissions of both files to rw-r-r
    2. Renaming market.apk to Market.apk
    3. Renaming updater.apk to Updater.apk
    after themeing the market for the last five versions i would have to say the new market adds fuctionality over the old.

sounds like your blaming google for having a slow outdated phone.

still a good post though for those that like the look of the old market

What functionality? All I see is fancy graphics designed for children and iRetards, there's no discernible change in how apps are grouped or searched for since version 2.12.

--

Using ADB;
    Reboot.

Using Root Explorer;
    Download apk to sdcard
    mount /system rw
    browse to /system/app
    remove MarketUpdater.apk
    remove Vending.apk
    Close and reboot.