• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP] Glimpse Notifications

Search This thread

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Hi. First things first, thanks for this easy and functional app, we really like it.
That said, we have a problem that somehow has already been looked at in the previous posts, but i hope you can help us having a new perspective on it.

We use your app on samsung tablets, to start the screen when a notification from a certain app arrives, prompting to start a videocall. We do NOT have any lockscreen (the users are old and mentally ill people, htey can't use the swipe function), so the screen goes back to black in 2-5 seconds. Is there any way to raise this time? we are searching for a way to have the screen on for at least 30 seconds.

I understand that this problem might not be strictly related to your app, but if you have any type of insight on it, i would be very grateful.

Have a nice day
Apart from the core feature of screen activation, Glimpse is used by many people to control the lock screen display timeout which cannot be configured in most, if not all, versions of Android. However, since you don't even use a lockscreen, then the normal display timeout as configured in the System Settings > Display should apply. Have you checked that?

Matteo Mauri

Apr 23, 2021
Thanks for your quick answer!
Yes, we tested it as our first option. Unfortunately, for reasons that i do not understand fully, the display setting is set to 2 minutes, but the screen (only after the notification appears) turns off in around 5 seconds. I can't find any different setting though.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
I you press the power button, does it also turn off that quickly or does it obey the 2 minutes limit? If so, perhaps the device recognizes a difference between the programmatic turning on and the power button, in which case there's nothing I can do to be honest. The recommended way would be to configure a swipe only lock screen but I get your point that this is not an option for you.

Minco21

Mar 6, 2021
On my S10e I have this problem: sometimes, when I recive multiple notification (especially on whatsapp), these desappears on lock screen and I can see them only by unlocking the screen. How can I fix this?
I run Naptime in background

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
On my S10e I have this problem: sometimes, when I recive multiple notification (especially on whatsapp), these desappears on lock screen and I can see them only by unlocking the screen. How can I fix this?
I run Naptime in background
Hm I don't know to be honest. Glimpse does not interfere with any notifications. When and if they are displayed or removed is up to the OS and the notifying apps. Glimpse only reacts on notification events and tries to turn the screen on at reasonable times.

I suggest to check WhatsApp's notification settings in the app as well as in the system.

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
Hi Xrad,
I'm using your app on a Xiaomi MI 11 Ultra with latest EU rom (it's the genuine EU model) to overcome the known problem of notifications not waking up the screen.

The app works nicely with only one bug:
If I unlock the phone and scroll down the received notifications (only 1 or more) but without dismissing any, and then I lock the phone, afterwards the screen keeps waking on at the specified inteval but the notifications are no longer shown on the lock screen. The notifications are still present and can be accessed as usual unlocking the phone and swiping down.

Thanks!

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
So let me get this straight -
  1. you saw some notifications on the lock screen and kept them
  2. the reccurrence function in Glimpse struck but the lock screen was empty
  3. after unlocking the notifications are there?
If that's what happens it is very peculiar behavior of the phone. Have you checked the system settings > lock screen settings if there are any strange visibility settings which might control this?

Glimpse really just watches notifications as they come and go. For recurrence, if a notification disappears, the recurrence will be cancelled. But if the notification is still there, recurrence will do its thing.

In any case, the lock screen visuals are note controlled by Glimpse and again, I'd be inclined to suspect an issue (or intended behavior) with your phone OS.

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
In summary:
a notification (or more than 1) arrives
correctly Glimpse periodically wakes up the lock screen
at some time I turn on the screen and unlock the phone
then I swipe down only to read the few lines shown of the notification but don't dismiss the notification
then I let the phone turn off automatically and lock
afterwards Glimpse resumes again to wake up periodically the screen but at this time no more notiications are shown on the lock screen.

IMHO the correct behaviour should be that in this case Glimpse stops waking up the screen (preferable) or at least continues to show the notification on the lock screen.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
In summary:
a notification (or more than 1) arrives
correctly Glimpse periodically wakes up the lock screen
at some time I turn on the screen and unlock the phone
then I swipe down only to read the few lines shown of the notification but don't dismiss the notification
then I let the phone turn off automatically and lock
afterwards Glimpse resumes again to wake up periodically the screen but at this time no more notiications are shown on the lock screen.

IMHO the correct behaviour should be that in this case Glimpse stops waking up the screen (preferable) or at least continues to show the notification on the lock screen.
In your first post your said "The notifications are still present and can be accessed as usual unlocking the phone and swiping down." So what's the deal - are they gone or not? From Glimpse's POV, as long as eligibile notifications are present, the reccurrence function will work. Glimpse does not know if you read them or not.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Right, so if the notification is there, Glimpse will do the recurrence function for it. I therefore do not see any misbehavior here. Has my eplanation cleared it up for you?

Note that why you don't see those notifications on the lockscreen must be some OS function (or bug.)

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
The problem is that the notifications are still present in the notification panel because I simply only swiped down the notification panel without dismissing or touching any, but afterwards Glimpse periodically continues to wake up the screen but no longer shows any notifications.
This behavior IMHO is inconsistent.

Anyway, I recall when the phones had the notification LED: once unlocked the phone and swiped down the notification panel to see the contents, even if not touching a notification to launch the relative app, nor swiping left or right to dismiss it, then the LED stopped blinking.

So in my opinion, once the panel has been swiped down, Glimpse accordingly should stop waking up the lock screen, even if the old notifications are still available in the notification panel.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
The LED behavior you describe is a free interpretation on Googles/Android part: they simply argue that once the user has seen a notification because the lock screen was shown, the LED is no longer relevant. I always found that very unuseful. If I have pending notifications, I want a reminder. If I don't want a reminder, I dismiss notifications.

The bigger problem here is that there is no way of known when the user has actually seen the notifications. Because of Glimpse, the screen will turn on but there is no guarantee you saw that. And Glimpse does neither draw the lock screen itself, nor can it capture any interactions on the lock screen (for security reasons.) The only interaction it can see is the dismissal of notifications.

So to summarize: I get your point, but a) I don't think it can be realized and b) quite honestly b) there is not even popular demand for it. If you relate Glimpse's function to the pending(!) notifications you will find it does behave consistently (admittedly though not in the way you favor.)

Final note: I recall that Bubble notificiations have seen some API extensions to convey if a notification has been seen. I'll check again if any of this is applicable to normal notifications, too.

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
I understand the problem in the software implementation, maybe your app could simply trap the notificaton panel swipe down event (if it exists, I'm not a programmer...) and in this case then stop waking up the lock screen.

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
No, as I indicated above, for (good) security reasons this is not possible. "Tap-Jacking" is a problematic issue in general and the API tries to prevent that in may places. For the lock screen, they have made it extra hard. For example, there no lock screen overlay windows allowed anymore sind Android 8, which is Glimpse's super-handy double-tap to lock only works until Android 7.

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
Otherwise, maybe you could get the screen unlock event/message.
Then, for the user's convenience, you could include an option in the app to choose to stop the waking up after the screen has been unlocked.

Reactions: xrad

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
About my previous post, I found this about knowing when the user has unlocked the phone:

After struggling with this for a while, I've found that the best way to do this is to register a BroadcastReceiver on the "android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT" action.
"Broadcast Action: Sent when the user is present after device wakes up (e.g when the key-guard is gone)."
To distinguish between cases where the user has turned on phone screen when it wasn't locked, and when they actually unlocked it use the KeyguardManager to check the security settings.

Code example:
Add this to your activity:
registerReceiver(new PhoneUnlockedReceiver(), new IntentFilter("android.intent.action.USER_PRESENT"));

Then use this class:
public class PhoneUnlockedReceiver extends BroadcastReceiver {

@Override
public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {

KeyguardManager keyguardManager = (KeyguardManager)context.getSystemService(Context.KEYGUARD_SERVICE);
if (keyguardManager.isKeyguardSecure()) {
//phone was unlocked, do stuff here
}
}
}

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
About my previous post, I found this about knowing when the user has unlocked the phone:

Thanks, I'm aware of this. I'm using these APIs a lot already. And I will add your suggestion to my todo list, it definitely sounds like a reasonable way to tackle this. However, at the same time I have to repeat that the demand for this kind of behavior is practically zero, so this won't be a high priority. I guess most people just swipe notifications away when they become aware of them. And if they don't, they may even like the fact for repeated notification.

themissionimpossible

May 12, 2008
Well, thanks.:)

I think that people probably didn't notice this behavior just because they are used to always open each notification or simply dismiss them with a swipe.

In my case I attend important meetings where it's not appropriate to look at the phone for more than few seconds, so I have only the time to unlock and swipe down the panel to check the notifications, but I don't want dismissing them because in this way at the end of the meeting I can still touch on the notifications on the panel and do the necessary actions.
If Glimpse still continues to wake up the screen this is distracting for me and other participants at the meeting, especially if we are in a dark room during a presentation.

The same problem might occur in theaters or cinemas during a show.

Reactions: xrad

xrad

Jul 3, 2012
The Internet
Thanks for elaborating your use case. It does make sense. As a temporary solution or work-around you might consider putting the phone in do-not-disturb mode, which Glimpse can obey properly when configured to do so. That's probably generally good advice durings shows :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

~~~~~~ Introduction ~~~~~~

Using Android Lollipop/Marshmallow's lock screen notifications?
    Tired of having to press the power button to see them?
    Want your phone to turn on new notifications, but only when you grab to look at it?
    Want your phone to turn on right when you take it out of your pocket?
    Then this app is for you!
    Introducing the all new efficiency app Glimpse Notifications:

presentation.png

This all new app fills an annoying hole in Android Lollipop's lock screen notification system. It's nice, it's shiny, but you always need to push that damn power button. This app does it for you, and also respects quiet times and whether or not your device is in your pocket.

It also does this:
    • recurring notifications (screen on and/or sound)
    • emulate LED notifications that the system lockscreen no longer shows
    • Double-tap to lock function for lockscreen
    • custom lockscreen display time
    • lockscreen lock-on-cover function

At the same time the app is completely for free and without ads!

~~~~~~ Downloads ~~~~~~

Google Play Store
    Directly download APK

~~~~~~ FAQ ~~~~~~

FAQ (Google Doc)
    Just a general remark: I'm writing this app in my spare time and I'm not making any money with it. Before writing it, I tried numerous alternatives (both free an paid ones) but for one reason or the other, none of them really cut it for me. That includes the ones which were already mentioned here. So I rolled my own app, some people like it, some don't. That's really all there is to it. Use whatever you like, it's always great to have a choice. But let's keep the bad vibes out of this thread.
    Looks interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm an ACDisplay user on an S4 but it doesn't seem to stay active the notification allowed so I'll try this.
    Yes, been using that one (and others) as well, but I always wondered why everybody wants to reinvent the lockscreen. I'm using a pattern lock and found none of the existing solutions to work well.

thanks for this, it works well
    only problem I found is that pocket detection doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy S6
    Strange. So, have you observed the screen turning on even if the proximity sensor is covered?

I plan on adding an extension to the pocket mode to cover the following use case: if the phone is pocketet or face down and you hear a notification, you typically take the phone and see what happened. Then I want it to turn on, but not necessarily everytime I take it out of my pocket. So something like "if coming out of pocket AND last notification less than N seconds ago -> turn on screen".

Perhaps we can sort your issues with the sensor out on the way.
    Came here from XDA article. I'm developer of Notific, almost similar but more extended (the re inventing type).

Good luck coping up with the multitude of bugs and non standard sensors of multitude of devices (specially samsung) I know how frustrating it gets sometimes.

You can mail me if you need any pointers :)
    New version is out.

It should fix flickering when the screen is already on (that was an embarrassing regression from 1.0 to 1.1). I'm now also using another method to turn on the screen, so that is now also flicker free. Downside is I now need WAKE_LOCK permission.