• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP]Google Pixel 2 Portrait mode now works!

Search This thread

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Even on that version when I use HDR+ and switch to video it causes the problem. I turned off HDR+ and tried again and the video still causes the sound issues so this is not a stable app just yet for our device imho hopefully the dev can iron the problems out for us to enjoy this great mod. I really like the selfie portrait was pretty sweet

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Same here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nOWNjzHKQLbXNmwtc0Of4aRhHRNihTbR/view?usp=drivesdk

I took a log using adb I'm not rooted but I was playing with the app while taking the log I couldn't even answer a phone call after the glitches starting happening.

@Charles_l, can you chime in please?

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Yes, I just looking at essential phone specific, N6P's configuration should work. Did you try the One Plus 3T mod?

Hi Charles, the problem is with your straight camera nx 7.3.1, it doesn't work at all for portrait. Hdr+ works but loses sounds, and same with BSG or Arnova's (the one plus 3 mod ones) in oreo beta 2. That is why dandan posted the logcat to see if you can dive in to see why we loses sound on all three versions every time the microphone is triggered.

Charles_l

Oct 24, 2010
chromloop.com
I can confirm this DOES NOT work in oreo beta 2. When I was on Nougat in Essential, all the BSG version I used worked when trigger the microphone, ie.. facebook messenger or recording video. It did not work at all in oreo since beta 1. Arnova8g2 version never worked at all either! I used the same configs I used in Nougat as well. Turning off notifications allows sounds but stopped as soon as you trigger microphone. Then when you hit restart, the phone freeze and you have to do a hard restart by holding the power button down.

Even on that version when I use HDR+ and switch to video it causes the problem. I turned off HDR+ and tried again and the video still causes the sound issues so this is not a stable app just yet for our device imho hopefully the dev can iron the problems out for us to enjoy this great mod. I really like the selfie portrait was pretty sweet

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

Same here

Did PH-1 runs AOSP or the OEM custom rom?

Code:
CAM_OneCameraSelector: Selected picture configuration: PictureSizeCalculator.Configuration{desired size=4160x3120, large image reader=ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=YUV_420_888, Size=4160x3120}, full-size image reader=ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=YUV_420_888, Size=4160x3120}, reprocessing output image reader=Optional.of(ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=JPEG, Size=4160x3120}), crop=Rect(0, 0 - 4160, 3120)}
01-02 18:38:15.249 25014 25037 I CAM_OneCameraSelector: Selected zslYuvReprocessing OneCamera configuration.

In dandan2980's log, the camera is running in ZSL YUV mode, this is similar to Nexus 6 camera setting, I think the camera can handle at least N6P's configuration or even Pixel 2016.
I also found many permissions denied warning while camera trying to read performance settings. I'd like to ask what feature is working normal when using official Google camera?

dandan2980

Jun 17, 2010

Code:
CAM_OneCameraSelector: Selected picture configuration: PictureSizeCalculator.Configuration{desired size=4160x3120, large image reader=ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=YUV_420_888, Size=4160x3120}, full-size image reader=ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=YUV_420_888, Size=4160x3120}, reprocessing output image reader=Optional.of(ImageReaderFormat{ImageFormat=JPEG, Size=4160x3120}), crop=Rect(0, 0 - 4160, 3120)}
01-02 18:38:15.249 25014 25037 I CAM_OneCameraSelector: Selected zslYuvReprocessing OneCamera configuration.

In dandan2980's log, the camera is running in ZSL YUV mode, this is similar to Nexus 6 camera setting, I think the camera can handle at least N6P's configuration or even Pixel 2016.
I also found many permissions denied warning while camera trying to read performance settings. I'd like to ask what feature is working normal when using official Google camera?
I'm currently on Oreo Beta2 stock room I'm not rooted, I did just search and installed the official Google camera app and it works just fine. But it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that comes with the modded on like the portrait mode or the HDR+ or the motion feature

Edit: Slow Motion does not work on official

Last edited:

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Yes, I just looking at essential phone specific, N6P's configuration should work. Did you try the One Plus 3T mod?

Code:

Thank you for your prompt reply. The essential I believe run stock android, so it's AOSP? For official google camera, from apk mirror, just normal mode works no HDR+ or portrait. Your Camera NX mod works for rear only, but all sounds are dead once microphone is activated via facebook messenger for example. The Arnova8G2 mod of your camera nx and his own mod from BSG's version also crashes all sounds once microphone activates. Dandan posted the log after it crashes using Arnova8G2's version. For Arnova8G2 version, everything works fine for photos as long as you don't activate microphone.

dandan2980

Jun 17, 2010
Thank you for your prompt reply. The essential I believe run stock android, so it's AOSP? For official google camera, from apk mirror, just normal mode works no HDR+ or portrait. Your Camera NX mod works for rear only, but all sounds are dead once microphone is activated via facebook messenger for example. The Arnova8G2 mod of your camera nx and his own mod from BSG's version also crashes all sounds once microphone activates. Dandan posted the log after it crashes using Arnova8G2's version. For Arnova8G2 version, everything works fine for photos as long as you don't activate microphone.
Also once you go in and out of video recorder it also causes sound to break I was using the Nexus 6P confige in the log cat. I also experience these issues no matter what setting is on

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Also once you go in and out of video recorder it also causes sound to break I was using the Nexus 6P confige in the log cat. I also experience these issues no matter what setting is on

I agreed, mine crashes as well on non portrait versions! In nougat it was perfecto! @Charles_l, @Arnova8G2, please take a look again and see what is causing the sound crashing as soon as microphone starts.

Edit:. Just replicated the no sounds issues, then tried to open up the stock camera app and press on recording video, but got a message that said make sure no other recording is in progress. So for some reason, the Gcam mod is using the recording function of the camera, front or rear, and locks it. Can either of yall look for lines that deals with microphone or recording?

Last edited:

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010

radaloel

Oct 3, 2011
valencia
Sound problem solved!?

Hey, I'm not going to shout it very loud...but I think I found a workaround for the sound issue. Oreo Beta 2 with the GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.3-Front-HDR+. With the settings I used (config camera hdr+: Pixel 2017 ZSL HDR+; Model: Pixel2XL; HDR parameters: superhigh) whenever I took a picture sound went off and strange things happened (call hangs, lag and having to hard reboot the phone). Now I've enabled under the debugging and tools settings all those ones containing the word 'micro', as well as others that you can see at attachments and the problem is gone. I've tested like 30 times the last 3 hours and no sound problem!

PS: Tested video and yes, it happens, problem still there.... When I started recording a message saying something like 'warning: HVEC is on' or something like that happened and phone shut down... Maybe we can try by trial error all those debugging tools and see if we can work this out too?

PS2: after that reboot caused by the video I can confirm the sound problem with the pictures is really gone!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180103-170052.png
    Screenshot_20180103-170052.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,785
  • Screenshot_20180103-170100.png
    Screenshot_20180103-170100.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 1,763
  • Screenshot_20180103-170104.png
    Screenshot_20180103-170104.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,767

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Hey, I'm not going to shout it very loud...but I think I found a workaround for the sound issue. Oreo Beta 2 with the GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.3-Front-HDR+. With the settings I used (config camera hdr+: Pixel 2017 ZSL HDR+; Model: Pixel2XL; HDR parameters: superhigh) whenever I took a picture sound went off and strange things happened (call hangs, lag and having to hard reboot the phone). Now I've enabled under the debugging and tools settings all those ones containing the word 'micro', as well as others that you can see at attachments and the problem is gone. I've tested like 30 times the last 3 hours and no sound problem!

PS: Tested video and yes, it happens, problem still there.... When I started recording a message saying something like 'warning: HVEC is on' or something like that happened and phone shut down... Maybe we can try by trial error all those debugging tools and see if we can work this out too?

PS2: after that reboot caused by the video I can confirm the sound problem with the pictures is really gone!!!!!!

Thank you for the temporary fix! @Charles_l, or @Arnova8G2, can you aid in figuring out what these debugging settings are?

Arnova8G2

Sep 22, 2012
Thank you for the temporary fix! @Charles_l, or @Arnova8G2, can you aid in figuring out what these debugging settings are?
Thanks @radaloel, HVEC should be used if the device enable it in the media profile, otherwise there is an error.
These debugging settings are not enabled on the original version. I will take the time to explain all this after rendering a stable version.

Reactions: dandan2980

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
Thanks @radaloel, HVEC should be used if the device enable it in the media profile, otherwise there is an error.
These debugging settings are not enabled on the original version. I will take the time to explain all this after rendering a stable version.

Thanjs! What I don't understand is we didn't have to do anything nougat but yet in Oreo we have to check certain settings?! How to tell if hvec needs to be enabled or not? I think the poster meant that he couldn't use video function because the device somehow thought hvec was on, then rebooted.

runderekrun

Apr 28, 2009
This is phenomenal. I think the portrait mode with the back camera is better than Essential's own camera app. The front face one is weird though. It has that "beautify" setting turned way up and every shot I've taken has come out really fake looking. Google's algorithms are insane.

xterminater07

Dec 4, 2010
This is phenomenal. I think the portrait mode with the back camera is better than Essential's own camera app. The front face one is weird though. It has that "beautify" setting turned way up and every shot I've taken has come out really fake looking. Google's algorithms are insane.

No company can ever come close to google's algorithm. They were known to work with NASA for their imaging via Google Glass Project, and that's where the HDR+ tech comes from. I didn't have any issue with the front portrait mode. If you set the GCam Mod setting to Pixel or Pixel 2 Xl related then yes it looks like beautify was used since pictures looks like it has been smooth out with a butter knife! However, if you set it to 6P, you risk having Shutter Lag (not by much) but your pictures will come out much more realistic. I could see my pore size at 100% zoom for god sakes :p

Reactions: avd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Version Beta test :
    - Black screen fix test
    - Add 4K for devices that do not have it
    - Autofocus enhancement
    GCam5.1.018-Arnova8G2-V1.4Beta.apk
    ** Please mention me in the thread of your device with a logcat and explain the error or screenshots
    Sound problem solved!?

This thread is not to be in anyways to flame or downgrade the Essential's dual camera/portrait mode! I am simply just posting so others can have something to tinker with in low lighting! Essential's portrait mode is amazing in great outdoor lighting, but indoor lighting it suffers bad due to compression issue and color algorithm. If you pay attention, indoor pictures including portraits taken when lighting is at soft white, ~2700K to 3200K or so, the pictures turn out very washed out. There are no saturation to the picture at all, or sharpness of details and it just looks bad.

Arnova8G2 has been porting the BSG version of the google cam and it is AMAZING for non-google devices, including ours, however his version somehow does gives a greenish tint to our devices since he original was working on the port only for the OP3/3T. Now, he has combined Charle Chow's Camera NX portrait mode to his app here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75047190&postcount=2270 .

Please report all bugs or any errors, and color issues related to our devices here and tag him so he will know. Thanks again @Arnova8G2

Edit: NEEDS TO BE ON OREO BETA 1 OR 2!!

New version uploaded by Arnova8G2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hvonKrb7hUqhqll4Qbglc9epdvanzFKW . Front camera works flawlessly, however we lose all sounds when taking pictures regardless front or back camera. Can anyone upload a logcat here? I can't get matlab to send my logs, kept crashing no matter what I do.

FIX FOR SOUND LOSS! Thank you to radaloel: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75062638&postcount=31
    Yes the mic I believe has stopped working and I have no sounds

This has been a known issue on PH-1 for any GCam port I've tried. I had been using a BSG port from back in November, dealing with loss of sound intermittently after using the app. Fear not!

As far as I can tell, the mic does not stop working. You need to turn off all notifications for the Gcam app. Just turn 'em all off. The whole app. Reboot to be safe once you have. Fixed my issues right up. No guarantee using camcorder will not cause sounds to stop though, I haven't tested it. I don't take many videos.

Also, I'm using @Arnova8G2 Front HDR+ version posted here. I'm using these settings with great results (actually the same as I what I posted in the other thread forever ago! Glad it still works.)
    Here is a selfie I did the other day. You can see the difference with out of focus background is the portait mode photo.