• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[App] Google Voice Catcher for MIUI (updated 3/12/2011)

Search This thread

ayuforever

Dec 16, 2009
UPDATE: Version 1.1 is prettier and now launches straight to the Google Voice inbox without the delay from Version 1.0. :)

Here is a simple app I created that will allow Google Voice to be launched from the message icon on the MIUI lockscreen. I use it with this ROM here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915527

Usage:
  1. Install the attached APK.
  2. Lock your phone.
  3. Unlock your phone from the MIUI lockscreen by swiping with the message icon on the right.
  4. In the "Complete action using" dialog, check "Use by default for this action" and select "Inbox"
  5. You're done! Now whenever your unlock your phone with the message icon, it should launch straight to the Google Voice inbox.

You may need to uninstall any previous versions of the app, since they were signed with the debug keys. To do so, navigate through the following:

Settings -> Programs -> Manage Applications -> Downloaded -> com.ayuforever.googlevoicecatcher -> Uninstall​

For anyone who's interested, the reason that Google Voice isn't available by default from the lockscreen message icon is that it doesn't have the intent filter for the "vnd.android-dir/mms-sms" mimetype. This app registers the needed intent filter and in turn launches the Google Voice app.

Attachments

• GoogleVoiceCatcher_v_1_1.apk
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Last edited:

Apr 25, 2009
This is really cool.

How hard is it to change the lock screen icon designations?

Is it possible to change one of the icons to be a search icon, so that when you unlock with it, it launches a search keyboard?

p

Last edited:

ayuforever

Dec 16, 2009
This is really cool.

How hard is it to change the lock screen icon designations?

Is it possible to change one of the icons to be a search icon, so that when you unlock with it, it launches a search keyboard?

p

All I wrote was an app that catches an intent that Google Voice didn't already catch. Changing the icons on the lock screen? You'd have to ask the MIUI devs about that.

ayuforever

Dec 16, 2009
I don't understand what means. You are making the messaging icon point at another process or app?

The messaging icon starts the activity for the default intent of the "vnd.android-dir/mms-sms" mimetype. While the stock messaging app and other apps like Handcent register this intent, the Google Voice app does not.

All this app does is register the necessary intent and then start Google Voice.

It doesn't do any sort of modding to the MIUI lockscreen at all.

Reactions: 22350
G

gqstatus0685

Once Sprint integrates my regular number I'm on this like gangbusters.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

funnylookinhat

Jan 5, 2011
Google Voice for calling

Have any of you gotten Google Voice making calls to work? So far the dialer doesn't seem to want to route my calls through Google Voice... :-/

TurboX2

Mar 29, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Have any of you gotten Google Voice making calls to work? So far the dialer doesn't seem to want to route my calls through Google Voice... :-/

Same thing has been happening to me.
How did you solve this? I need GV for international calling.

EDIT: I figured it out. Go into settings > Programs > Call Settings and enable 3rd party access under the phone security section

thanks.

Last edited:

Relaxasaurus

Nov 10, 2010
This works perfectly - Samsung Fascinate on miui 1.9.x

Tried thanking you in your original post, but I only see the "Thanks" buttons on page 2+ of the this thread!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Version 1.1 is prettier and now launches straight to the Google Voice inbox without the delay from Version 1.0. :)

Here is a simple app I created that will allow Google Voice to be launched from the message icon on the MIUI lockscreen. I use it with this ROM here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=915527

Usage:
    1. Install the attached APK.
    2. Lock your phone.
    3. Unlock your phone from the MIUI lockscreen by swiping with the message icon on the right.
    4. In the "Complete action using" dialog, check "Use by default for this action" and select "Inbox"
    5. You're done! Now whenever your unlock your phone with the message icon, it should launch straight to the Google Voice inbox.

You may need to uninstall any previous versions of the app, since they were signed with the debug keys. To do so, navigate through the following:

Settings -> Programs -> Manage Applications -> Downloaded -> com.ayuforever.googlevoicecatcher -> Uninstall​

For anyone who's interested, the reason that Google Voice isn't available by default from the lockscreen message icon is that it doesn't have the intent filter for the "vnd.android-dir/mms-sms" mimetype. This app registers the needed intent filter and in turn launches the Google Voice app.
    I don't understand what means. You are making the messaging icon point at another process or app?

The messaging icon starts the activity for the default intent of the "vnd.android-dir/mms-sms" mimetype. While the stock messaging app and other apps like Handcent register this intent, the Google Voice app does not.

All this app does is register the necessary intent and then start Google Voice.

It doesn't do any sort of modding to the MIUI lockscreen at all.