[APP] Google Wallet (APK: 1.1-R57v5, Play Store: 1.1-R57v5) [09/03/2012]

doodoostains

Jul 15, 2010
Were you rooted? Running stock? Running a ROM? When did it happen ? (After using Wallet a couple of times) ?
Did it just randomly happen after opening?

Sorry for all the questions but I have the .apk and it works perfectly but I'm just super paranoid thinking that this is going to happen to me. Especially since alot of the newer 4.0.3 based roms have this baked in.
I was rooted running stock. Got tired of force closes. Flashed back to factory images and when I booted wallet was still there and I got that error. I am also nervous to flash any other rom just using the apk. I'll be waiting for brave person.

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
I have the Secure Elements issue, but I still can use my NFC for beaming or tag sharing.
did you try to turn the nfc chip on and off in the settings menu under more?

Does that open for you or force close? If it does open when you click to uncheck it does it freeze and not uncheck the box?

All problems I had when i had the secure element issue.

jetrii

Oct 8, 2010
At last, progress! Money Network finally contact me back and have agreed to perform a master reset on my device which will remove all traces of my phone/google wallet settings from their servers and my phone's security chip. Should be able to add prepaid cards once all of this is done (process takes around an hour)

Although everyone here should understand the risks, I do believe that information regarding Money Network should be on the first post. I was fortunate enough to find someone willing to do a reset despite the fact that I don't have a Nexus S ,but those without the same luck may have their devices blacklisted from Money Network and be unable to use prepaid cards. Still not sure how/why it happened but I'm glad it's being fixed :D

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
At last, progress! Money Network finally contact me back and have agreed to perform a master reset on my device which will remove all traces of my phone/google wallet settings from their servers and my phone's security chip. Should be able to add prepaid cards once all of this is done (process takes around an hour)

Although everyone here should understand the risks, I do believe that information regarding Money Network should be on the first post. I was fortunate enough to find someone willing to do a reset despite the fact that I don't have a Nexus S ,but those without the same luck may have their devices blacklisted from Money Network and be unable to use prepaid cards. Still not sure how/why it happened but I'm glad it's being fixed :D
Highly doubt this fixes anyone's issues with the Secure Element not responding. Pretty sure Money Network does not have access to the element in your phone. They may be able to clear all your info from their systems like your device ID, but im 95% sure they can't "unlock" your secure element.

Great progress though for people with the prepaid card issue!

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
If you installed the zip package first before doing the .apk, you had an edited .xml file. This file was read by the secure element and the signature on the hacked .apk in that zip did not match so it locked it out from using the chip. Its seems to be once the chip is locked out it cannot be unlocked (unless Google implements this in future GW versions).

This is why I got a new phone. The chip is separete from the OS and rom. No matter what you do you cannot fix the not responding issue unless an app was allowed to reconfigure that chip, which google wallet is the only one allows to access it, but it apparently has no way of "unlocking" the chip.

If you just installed the .apk on a stock experience, the chip recongizes the valid apk signature and key and lets you access the Secure Element. Its my understanding that if you install any other rom, do a factory reset, or whatever, that if you only install the "official" GW app (the one signed by Google), then nothing should go wrong with your phone. You may have the issue of your money not coming up when reinstalling the app, but a simple phone call to either money network or google (?) seems to fix the issue.

Although this is my theory, I have yet to try and install a new rom and see if this works. It sounds like this is the way the Secure Element works. It locks itself if at any point it does not see a valid Google signed apk. Since Google is the only one with the knownledge and access to this chip on a code level, I assume they have implemented within the chip their algorithm for apk signaturing. Any app that trys to access this element, which at this point, is just a hacked older version of google wallet, is not going to have the right Google signature, thsu the chip "shuts down" and new hardware is the only way to get it to return.
My guess is eventually someone will find a way. It's been said people tried the google factory images. But it wasn't specified which ones they tried, or if they tried both of the releases.

I also have a Nexus S that I have been using google wallet on for a while - hacked on. At one point, one of googles updates included new firmware for the NFC chip, and at that point if you switched roms it would break NFC. Eventually someone found a way to go back to the older firmware. I'm betting it will be something similar for the Galaxy Nexus. I don't have a messed up NFC, so I won't be testing my theories though :p

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
My guess is eventually someone will find a way. It's been said people tried the google factory images. But it wasn't specified which ones they tried, or if they tried both of the releases.

I also have a Nexus S that I have been using google wallet on for a while - hacked on. At one point, one of googles updates included new firmware for the NFC chip, and at that point if you switched roms it would break NFC. Eventually someone found a way to go back to the older firmware. I'm betting it will be something similar for the Galaxy Nexus. I don't have a messed up NFC, so I won't be testing my theories though :p
Hmm...Interesting.

Why is it hacked on your Nexus S though...thats the only officially supported phone, why would you need to hack it.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hmm...Interesting.

Why is it hacked on your Nexus S though...thats the only officially supported phone, why would you need to hack it.
It's only officially supported on Sprints version of the Nexus S.

I also may be wrong about what I said in my previous post :confused: As I just read this interesting article, and apparently there are various ways of implementing a secure element.

http://www.nfcrumors.com/12-12-2011/isis/

Reactions: biggiephat

jetrii

Oct 8, 2010
Highly doubt this fixes anyone's issues with the Secure Element not responding. Pretty sure Money Network does not have access to the element in your phone. They may be able to clear all your info from their systems like your device ID, but im 95% sure they can't "unlock" your secure element.

Great progress though for people with the prepaid card issue!
They require the phone to be on with at least 2 bars in order to do a remote wipe of some security info on the phone. I actually had to schedule an exact time for it to happen at. Not sure what it's doing, but using Google Wallet permanently changes values in your phone that can't be changed locally. Whether or not this helps with Secure Element is unknown (although I doubt it would)

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
They require the phone to be on with at least 2 bars in order to do a remote wipe of some security info on the phone. I actually had to schedule an exact time for it to happen at. Not sure what it's doing, but using Google Wallet permanently changes values in your phone that can't be changed locally. Whether or not this helps with Secure Element is unknown (although I doubt it would)
Then this is big news. sounds like it has potential to fix secure element issues. Possibly. Only way we would know if someone with the secure element issue can call Money Network and find someone to do this reset.

S

Samsuck

So is it safe to say that once you use this on a ROM where it works perfectly, don't use it again unless you want to risk it?

I really enjoy using this, in fact I just used it about 30 minutes ago at a Mickey D's, but I spent $700 buying this phone off-contract lol so I want it to be safe

biggiephat

May 27, 2010
So is it safe to say that once you use this on a ROM where it works perfectly, don't use it again unless you want to risk it?

I really enjoy using this, in fact I just used it about 30 minutes ago at a Mickey D's, but I spent $700 buying this phone off-contract lol so I want it to be safe
I want to say as long as all you have used is non-hacked google wallet apks, then there should be no problem flashing all the roms you want. I just wouldn't go too crazy as it seems sometimes the pre paid card is re pulled from your account and sometimes its not.

Just my theroy though, but to be on the safe side im sticking to just official google otas.

jetrii

Oct 8, 2010
Then this is big news. sounds like it has potential to fix secure element issues. Possibly. Only way we would know if someone with the secure element issue can call Money Network and find someone to do this reset.
Sadly, the reset didn't do anything. I called them again and they are able to see the where it is failing but can't figure out why.

Reactions: WhiterThanWhite
S

Samsuck

I want to say as long as all you have used is non-hacked google wallet apks, then there should be no problem flashing all the roms you want. I just wouldn't go too crazy as it seems sometimes the pre paid card is re pulled from your account and sometimes its not.

Just my theroy though, but to be on the safe side im sticking to just official google otas.
is the wallet .apk in the OP hacked?

xFlawless11x

Jun 23, 2010
So I revered from the zip method to the APK method and it's working fine now except for the fact that every time I reboot I still get the Android Updating.

Any ideas how to stop this from happening every time?