[APP] Hide Folders

Search This thread

Archer

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
I've noticed recently that there's quite a few people asking how to hide folders on Windows Mobile. There's a few applications out there, but they're either completely overkill (they do a million more things and are therefore massive), or they're not free (or a mixture of the two).

Since I wanted this functionality myself, I decided to write a very simple application to allow me to toggle the hidden state of folders. This application should be considered in beta state, but it works fine for me so far. It's not fancy in the slightest, and I have no plans to make it look anything special, but if I get enough response then I'd put some time aside to "tart it up" a bit.

I'd be grateful if people could let me know of any problems with it. It's targeted for WM 4+ (I have 6.1), using .Net 2.0.

All that aside, I hope some of you do find it useful.

You can download it here...

http://www.johnmolyneux.co.uk/downloads/hidefolders.cab

I was recently informed about a review for this application, which can be found here...

http://mobilityupdate.com/hide-your-folders-on-windows-mobile-using-hidefolders-application/

Thanks for the great review Ella :)

Cheers,

John.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanisod

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
Hi,
Works well on my Kaiser (See my sig for the rest of my specs).

Nice little app, I use Resco and Total Commander, so I don't have much use for it, but I'll keep the CAB just in case. :)

I like the loading when you expand the tree rather than loading all folders at the start.

Ta
Dave

Archer

Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Cheers for doing that Dave - I don't know about you, but I'm always relieved when things work for others!

As for the loading when you expand the treeview nodes, I had to add that because it was taking about a minute to start the program, if it was getting the whole directory structure. The Windows folder alone was taking around 40 seconds!

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the test and report :)

Archer

Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
Updated to v1.1. I've sorted the folder lists alphabetically, and I've added an about screen, mainly to acknowledge the guy that made the icons I used for the application.

Last edited:

hackerzlab

Mar 31, 2008
it didn't work. i set a folder in the storage card to hidden mode bt the folder is still visible! when i use file explorer!

i have asus p320

Archer

Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
it didn't work. i set a folder in the storage card to hidden mode bt the folder is still visible! when i use file explorer!

Hi.

It sounds to me like you've got 'Show all files' enabled. In File Explorer, go to Menu and make sure 'Show all files' is unchecked.

Cheers.

kakachopra

Nov 15, 2008
hide folder working fine

working great in htc 3450...
but make sure in file explorer u unchecked show all files....[:)]

corepda

Aug 4, 2007
California
Great piece of app. Really appreciated. You need to uncheck "show all files" & you will have your files hidden. But the problem I faced is mainly with the Touch commander 2.51 which doesn't have any of this option. I tried this on Resco explorer & files were hidden. So overall w/o touch commander it worked like charm.

Just an humble suggestion John
WHy don't you create an app that could lock files, I mean that could just rename them with ascii letters which can't be opened unless provided password[which would rename the folder again.] I have searched for this kind of app but couldn't find one so your release would be a hit with this function. Thanks allover.
Regards
Saksham Katyal

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
working great in htc 3450...
but make sure in file explorer u unchecked show all files....[:)]

Yeah but still doesnt work successfully. if you use a photo viewing program like resco photo viewer hidden files are still viewable. SKB mobile safety suite locks well, cant see it but takes forever with large files and you need alot of phone memory.
Im sure someone must have a program that has the best of both worlds???

CARPEDIEM8

Nov 3, 2008
Corfu
How do i use it???

Hello and thanks for the cab....How do i hide a folder in Htc hd?The program just lets me go through the paths and when i find the folder i want to hide it has to options ...on the left "about" on the right "exit" It does't says anywhere menu or hide.....Any succestions?
Thank you in advance.

EREZYAD

Mar 26, 2007
I'd be grateful if people could let me know of any problems with it. It's targeted for WM 4+ (I have 6.1), using .Net 2.0.

thanks 4 the app!
works great on ipaq 600:)

if it is not to hard can you make the app popup as a combination of hardware keys?
2 make it simple one can select from predefined combination
like: key1&key4 ,key1&key2…. (from settings/buttons)
or if it is not to hard adding read key combination option (in the app settings)
anyway thanks

Edit: to not let it woke in the background the combination will be entered after taping the apps icon (the apps icon says :))

Last edited:

rexboy

Apr 28, 2008
Hello and thanks for the cab....How do i hide a folder in Htc hd?The program just lets me go through the paths and when i find the folder i want to hide it has to options ...on the left "about" on the right "exit" It does't says anywhere menu or hide.....Any succestions?
Thank you in advance.

Found a program called Hide my stuff v3.6, works much better than this one and the SKB. it truly hides files or all files within a folder, no frills so is very fast to hide, unhide, you can even edit or beam files whilst its in a hidden state etc. found it by chance but works very well.

hsmcd

Feb 24, 2009
www.wmfreeware.net
if it is not to hard can you make the app popup as a combination of hardware keys?
2 make it simple one can select from predefined combination
like: key1&key4 ,key1&key2…. (from settings/buttons)
or if it is not to hard adding read key combination option (in the app settings)
anyway thanks

Edit: to not let it woke in the background the combination will be entered after taping the apps icon (the apps icon says :))

works great!! Thanks
and if could add up some function like that, it would be perfect!! Thanks again

Archer

Jul 9, 2008
Manchester
You need AEButtons to assign software to hardware keys. I've never used it myself, but lots of people use it very succesfully.

Hope this helps :)

dannybz

Feb 26, 2010
Corozal
Im glad to say that the hide folders works great. Does anybody know a way to hide files (not folders) under the My Device for a WinMobile 6.5? I want to do this to clean the screen and not to accidentally delete files.
The only files/folders I want to see when I open File Explorer are:
My Documents
Storage Card

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've noticed recently that there's quite a few people asking how to hide folders on Windows Mobile. There's a few applications out there, but they're either completely overkill (they do a million more things and are therefore massive), or they're not free (or a mixture of the two).

Since I wanted this functionality myself, I decided to write a very simple application to allow me to toggle the hidden state of folders. This application should be considered in beta state, but it works fine for me so far. It's not fancy in the slightest, and I have no plans to make it look anything special, but if I get enough response then I'd put some time aside to "tart it up" a bit.

You can download it here...

http://www.johnmolyneux.co.uk/downloads/hidefolders.cab

I was recently informed about a review for this application, which can be found here...

http://mobilityupdate.com/hide-your-folders-on-windows-mobile-using-hidefolders-application/

Thanks for the great review Ella :)

Cheers,

John.