[APP]Holo Steam Modification

Search This thread

conRAWR

Jan 15, 2014
banner.png

The Steam mobile app is definitely due an update, the last update was released in March 2012, but I don't see that changing for a long time.
The current interface for the Steam app is terrible, low quality images all over the show, it's a direct port from the iOS app, and that most certainly
does not follow the Android design guidelines. If Valve won't fix and update the app, who will?
I will.​

whatthisis.png

This App is a modification to the official app from Valve on the Play Store. This mod completely changes the user interface from the ugly interface
that is currently in use, to a more pleasing interface known as "Holo". The visuals of this app follow the Android design guidelines as closely as it
possibly can without having to recode the entire app.

As well as this app being a visual update, the app also comes with speed increases, stability and general smoothness all the way throughout the app.

acloserlook.png

The standard app uses images for the text input box, send button and many more features of the app; using images for assets such as this contribute
to slowing down the speed of the app due to there being more files to read from. I have removed the need for many images in this app by moving the assets
from using images to using official Android code (Assets such as chat text input and the send button).

Every single visual asset of this app has been changed and rebuilt using the Android guidelines. The action bar is no longer an ugly bar with diagonal pin stripes
with a gradient overlay, it's now a single colour Android action bar. The chat bubbles are no longer obnoxious low quality bubbles, they're now high quality boxes
similar to that of the boxes used for Hangouts. All these visual changes and more in the app.

On the official app, scrolling through web pages (such as people's profiles) was painful, scrolling would take forever with a huge noticeable lag on every scroll,
making tasks such as viewing your games list unbearable.

screenshots.png

Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-03-39.png
Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-04-49.png
Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-05-06.png
Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-07-58.png
Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-09-05.png
Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-09-53.png

other.png

To install this app, you must first of all uninstall the official app from the Play Store if you currently have that on your device.
Once the app is uninstalled, you can then install this version.

Mentions:
http://www.vgu.tv/2014/01/16/modder-creates-holo-steam-app-android/
http://www.steamfirst.com/steam-android-holo-style-app-looks-beautiful-download-it-now/

This app is completely free, you are free to use it for as long as you like without payment towards me, however if you wish to donate to me to help me
further my work in learning how to develop applications from scratch, this is how.

Donations are through PayPal, send how much you want to, every bit helps, the email to send the donation to is ikermitkiller@gmail.com

You do not have to donate, it is simply an option if you want to support me, please do not feel pressured into giving your hard earned cash to me for a small app like this.

Current Donor list:
This is a shout out to those who have donated. It helps me a lot, it brings a smile to my face, to know that people appreciate the work which I do, that they enjoy or like using
the app. It makes me feel good. Thanks to those who have donated or will donate, thank you.

Donors:
Cole (Member iCole from Facepunch)
dsidewd (In the form of a £2.50 album on bandcamp)(Member dsidewd from Facepunch)

download.png

In the attachment is the download for this app.

Attachments

• Build6_30-01-14.apk
    424.3 KB · Views: 20,183
Last edited:

conRAWR

Jan 15, 2014
Change%20log.png

31-12-13
First release, pretty much everything changed from the default application

01-01-14
Gradient added in navigation area (Similar to that in settings app)
Official Android design used for button used for "Send" and "Clear Chat History" (Includes disabled, enabled and pressed animation)
Official Android design used for text input used for "Tap to chat" (Includes disabled and enabled animations)
Holo icons added to navigation area (Bug: icons are huge)

02-01-14
Holo icons in navigation area have been redone, their size is also correct this time

03-01-14
Menu button on navigation bar removed
Back end changed to the latest Android API
Increased speed and stability (Refresh times have been decreased by a huge amount, navigation is faster, boot time is faster and the app doesn't have to reconnect as much)
Send button changed to official android button code
Text input in chat changed to official android text input code
All pop up windows changed to KitKat design
Application can have added backwards compatibility to OS versions before 2.2(Froyo) if requested
Unread messages text on friends list is now white
Navigation gradient is no longer a gradient. Now is #191919 to mimic the future slide out navigation which will be implemented
"Tap to chat" changed to "Send a message" (Like Hangouts)

04-01-14
Padding beneath text input on chat removed
Text next to friend names are now the same as the colour of the profile picture containers
Text in chat boxes is now centred

30-01-14
Speed increases and stability

Last edited:

datsteve

Sep 11, 2012
Looks great! Really needed this, I couldn't take much more of the default app's appearance.

If only Valve would do something about it sooner ;)

jaimbo

Nov 23, 2011
Edinburgh
Would it be possible to drag the side panel menu in from the side, and hide it away with another swipe? Similar to the new Play Store style?

Other than that amazing job!

conRAWR

Jan 15, 2014
How exactly do you modify an app like this? Is there a general overview/tutorial somewhere?

God I would love this done to the Rdio app.
There are various programmes which will decompile an app, once you've decompiled the app, you will be left with the apps source code.
Once you've got the source code, you can start modifying images, XML files and Java files. Once you've done, you can recompile it, usually using the same programme as the one you used to decompile, although the signature will be different

Last edited:

plasticities

Jul 27, 2012
great looking mod! conRAWR, can you share the wallpaper used in the last screenshot please? it looks awesome.

kentobi

May 18, 2010
cannot install, it says package with same name, but signature in conflict is already installed.. :/

E66666666

May 23, 2013
Oh my god oh my god oh my god THANK YOU! I have been waiting for such an update for aaaages. I've posted the link for a few of my Steam friends and they're testing it out - here's what we discovered.

I found a first bug and a thing or two which can be reverted:
- If you have pending messages, touching the number near the name doesn't open the chat. I need to touch the name, then touch chat.
- The message boxes used to be gray and blue, now everything is white. If you can add alternating colors, it'd be great!

Suggestions for expanding features (which may be impossible since decompiling doesn't give the original source, but asking can't hurt!)
- Do you think you can fix the notification system? Steam somehow doesn't push them like WhatsApp does.
- Steam group chats is something the app has lacked for forever!
- Ability to clear history of certain chats while leaving others untouched?

Last edited:

conRAWR

Jan 15, 2014
Oh my god oh my god oh my god THANK YOU! I have been waiting for such an update for aaaages. I've posted the link for a few of my Steam friends and they're testing it out - here's what we discovered.

I found a first bug and a thing or two which can be reverted:
- If you have pending messages, touching the number near the name doesn't open the chat. I need to touch the name, then touch chat.
- The message boxes used to be gray and blue, now everything is white. If you can add alternating colors, it'd be great!

Suggestions for expanding features (which may be impossible since decompiling doesn't give the original source, but asking can't hurt!)
- Do you think you can fix the notification system? Steam somehow doesn't push them like WhatsApp does.
- Steam group chats is something the app has lacked for forever!
- Ability to clear history of certain chats while leaving others untouched?

The bug with tapping the chat button not working is a long standing bug in the normal Steam app and is completely random whether it happens or not, I will continue to look into a fix for this.

Alternating colours were a thought while developing, however in the end it was decided to use completely white. The white is much more appealing than alternating colours, it also attempts to mimic the Hangouts chat boxes.

I assume you mean to have the notifications to include what the message is?

It would be incredibly hard to add this, but I may attempt this in the future.

This you already can, just enter a chat with a certain button, press on the overflow menu and press the button that drops down.

ooie

Dec 12, 2010
Is it possible for you to release the source code or is Steam's license prohibiting that? Just asking since my Steam account is too valuable to be put at risk. Now, I am not saying that OP is out here to steal peoples login info, but there's always a risk involved when you are logging in through a 3rd party app.

If only Valve would man up and update the damn app. It's been what, over 1½ years since they updated it, yes, it looks horrible, it's slow and barely usable.

E66666666

May 23, 2013
The bug with tapping the chat button not working is a long standing bug in the normal Steam app and is completely random whether it happens or not, I will continue to look into a fix for this.

Alternating colours were a thought while developing, however in the end it was decided to use completely white. The white is much more appealing than alternating colours, it also attempts to mimic the Hangouts chat boxes.

I assume you mean to have the notifications to include what the message is?

It would be incredibly hard to add this, but I may attempt this in the future.

This you already can, just enter a chat with a certain button, press on the overflow menu and press the button that drops down.
The chat button not working problem just appeared for me for two people I usually speak with, didn't happen before, but I think that's a coincidence then.

If you could include the option for alternating colors, it'd be great. Google design choices aren't always perfect either and I like to see who's who at a glance.

With the notification, I mean that the notifications often don't get pushed but feel like they get fetched, since they often don't notify while the screen is off and when the screen is on it suddenly notifies again, having like a 20 minute delay. Though I think it's just Steam not using the Google Push Notifications, and this might be impossible for you to fix.

Attempting sounds great! Sadly I think you'd need cooperation from Steam somehow, I don't suppose there's a clear API and messing around in decompiled code isn't exactly very structured ;).

The clear history option was requested by a friend, they wanted to batch-remove some histories, though I can't really see the point of it. Might be that they have a lot of messages from lots of people.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    banner.png

The Steam mobile app is definitely due an update, the last update was released in March 2012, but I don't see that changing for a long time.
    The current interface for the Steam app is terrible, low quality images all over the show, it's a direct port from the iOS app, and that most certainly
    does not follow the Android design guidelines. If Valve won't fix and update the app, who will?
    I will.​

whatthisis.png

This App is a modification to the official app from Valve on the Play Store. This mod completely changes the user interface from the ugly interface
    that is currently in use, to a more pleasing interface known as "Holo". The visuals of this app follow the Android design guidelines as closely as it
    possibly can without having to recode the entire app.

As well as this app being a visual update, the app also comes with speed increases, stability and general smoothness all the way throughout the app.

acloserlook.png

The standard app uses images for the text input box, send button and many more features of the app; using images for assets such as this contribute
    to slowing down the speed of the app due to there being more files to read from. I have removed the need for many images in this app by moving the assets
    from using images to using official Android code (Assets such as chat text input and the send button).

Every single visual asset of this app has been changed and rebuilt using the Android guidelines. The action bar is no longer an ugly bar with diagonal pin stripes
    with a gradient overlay, it's now a single colour Android action bar. The chat bubbles are no longer obnoxious low quality bubbles, they're now high quality boxes
    similar to that of the boxes used for Hangouts. All these visual changes and more in the app.

On the official app, scrolling through web pages (such as people's profiles) was painful, scrolling would take forever with a huge noticeable lag on every scroll,
    making tasks such as viewing your games list unbearable.

screenshots.png

Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-03-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-04-49.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-05-06.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-07-58.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-09-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-15-21-09-53.png

other.png

To install this app, you must first of all uninstall the official app from the Play Store if you currently have that on your device.
    Once the app is uninstalled, you can then install this version.

Mentions:
    http://www.vgu.tv/2014/01/16/modder-creates-holo-steam-app-android/
    http://www.steamfirst.com/steam-android-holo-style-app-looks-beautiful-download-it-now/

This app is completely free, you are free to use it for as long as you like without payment towards me, however if you wish to donate to me to help me
    further my work in learning how to develop applications from scratch, this is how.

Donations are through PayPal, send how much you want to, every bit helps, the email to send the donation to is ikermitkiller@gmail.com

You do not have to donate, it is simply an option if you want to support me, please do not feel pressured into giving your hard earned cash to me for a small app like this.

Current Donor list:
    This is a shout out to those who have donated. It helps me a lot, it brings a smile to my face, to know that people appreciate the work which I do, that they enjoy or like using
    the app. It makes me feel good. Thanks to those who have donated or will donate, thank you.

Donors:
    Cole (Member iCole from Facepunch)
    dsidewd (In the form of a £2.50 album on bandcamp)(Member dsidewd from Facepunch)

download.png

In the attachment is the download for this app.
    Change%20log.png

31-12-13
    First release, pretty much everything changed from the default application

01-01-14
    Gradient added in navigation area (Similar to that in settings app)
    Official Android design used for button used for "Send" and "Clear Chat History" (Includes disabled, enabled and pressed animation)
    Official Android design used for text input used for "Tap to chat" (Includes disabled and enabled animations)
    Holo icons added to navigation area (Bug: icons are huge)

02-01-14
    Holo icons in navigation area have been redone, their size is also correct this time

03-01-14
    Menu button on navigation bar removed
    Back end changed to the latest Android API
    Increased speed and stability (Refresh times have been decreased by a huge amount, navigation is faster, boot time is faster and the app doesn't have to reconnect as much)
    Send button changed to official android button code
    Text input in chat changed to official android text input code
    All pop up windows changed to KitKat design
    Application can have added backwards compatibility to OS versions before 2.2(Froyo) if requested
    Unread messages text on friends list is now white
    Navigation gradient is no longer a gradient. Now is #191919 to mimic the future slide out navigation which will be implemented
    "Tap to chat" changed to "Send a message" (Like Hangouts)

04-01-14
    Padding beneath text input on chat removed
    Text next to friend names are now the same as the colour of the profile picture containers
    Text in chat boxes is now centred

30-01-14
    Speed increases and stability
    Build 6 is released, refer back to the OP for the download and changelog.
    Here's a video demo.

I'm really liking this app, thanks for picking up the ball after Valve dropped it. The pages do load a bit slow for me with a blank screen and no indication it's loading, but that's probably because I own way too many games on Steam.

Is there any chance you could add some Enhanced Steam style features, like highlighting games owned in green when viewing them on the store?

I've managed to get Enhanced Steam working on Android with an outdated version of Opera that supports plugins but an app would be more ideal.

The developer of Enhanced Steam pointed this app out to me and told me you could contact him at contact@enhancedsteam.com with questions and he'll help where he can.

Thanks! :good: