[APP] hTorch v3.2 | using camera LED as flashlight [updated: 2008-11-20]

Search This thread

menay

Dec 31, 2008
Phom Penh
LED Moved

hTorch is a small application with a graphical user interface that enables you to use your Touch Pro as flashlight.

hTorch is built for the HTC Raphael (aka HTC Touch Pro) and has only been tested on this device. It probably works on all other devices with a build-in LED as well but since I can't tell if those devices are heat sinked please be very careful! PLEASE NOTE: Use this application at your own risk! I’ve done as much testing as possible, and will try to fix every bug which will be reported but it's my first Windows Mobile application and I can not guarantee that it is free of bugs. NetRipper deserves most of the credit because my application uses his TorchButtonLibrary v1.0 to control the LED itself.

Usage:

The program installs itself into "%ProgramFiles%\hTorch" and also creates a shortcut into %StartMenu%\Programs\Accessories. The further usage is as simple as possible. Start hTorch using the shortcut. On program start the LED will automatically be turned on and you will see the programs main screen.
On the main screen you can:

• enable and disable the standard LED mode using the upper left bulb button.
  • enable and disable the bright LED mode using the upper right bulb button.
  • disable the display using the lower left button (The display can be turned on again using the power button)
  • exit the application using the lower right button.
  • enable and disable the standard LED mode using the D-Pad Action hardware button.
  • enable and disable the bright LED mode using the D-Pad UP hardware button.
  • disable the display using the D-Pad DOWN hardware button.

PLEASE NOTE: The flashlight will stay on forever - there is no timeout programmed. So the only timeout is the capacity of your battery. Burning the LED should not be very likely as this posting explains but please take care anyway. Please also note that the LED can not be left turned on while the device is in standby. So if you want to use the torch for an extended period please use the display off button but be aware that the hardware buttons will still function!
pRequirements:

Version History:
v3.2:
  • Added AppToDate support.
  • Some minor code optimizations.
v3.1:
  • Fixed several minor bugs
  • Fixed one huge bug preventing the device from standby even after hTorch was already closed.
  • Added a special error handling in case a user terminated hTorch instead of using the quit-button.
v3.0 (unreleased private beta):

• Source again completely rewritten. I'm now using the TorchButtonLib v1.0 to control the LED. Which now also means that hTorch and TorchButton can be installed at the same time.
  • Action button mapped with LED on/off function.
  • "UP"-button mapped with LED bright on/off function.
  • "DOWN"-button mapped with build-in display off function (display can be turned on using the power button).
  • Changed right softkey to menu with sub menu items: "Quit", "Bright LED On/Off", "Display Off", "About".
  • Changed normal LED on/off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
  • Added bright LED on/off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
  • Added display off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
  • Changed the program window not to maximize (so that now the status bar is visible).
  • Added function to prevent ideling into standby (AndyZap - Once again thank you for your help!)

v2.2:
  • Updated TorchButton to v1.2 which enlarged the maximum timeout from 300 seconds to 86400 seconds (a day) - Thank you NetRipper!
v2.1:
  • Completely replaced all graphics to give the program a much more professional look and feel. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
  • Replaced the exe-file icon with a more diamond-like one
v2.0 (unreleased private beta):
  • Completely rewritten source so that hTorch can now detect the LED state
  • Tightened the program as much as possible (exe-file lost about a bit more than 25% of its size)
  • Automatically turn off the LED on program exit
  • Changed auto-off timer to 5 minutes (hard coded)
  • Added SoftKey functions
  • Added About Dialog
v1.1:
  • Fixed Bug when installing to Storage Card
  • Start LED on program start
v1.0b:
  • Initial version
On the picture you can see the programs
main screen with usage information:

torchbuttonv31usagery7.png

Downloads so far (counting since v3.2):
counter.png

AppToDate Users:
counter.png.php

Do you like my work? Please consider donating:

Thank you for your support!

Thank you for your donations: snake_be, del4, rjmjr69, unknown_07.01.2009, unknown_12.01.2009, Fantedon - THANK YOU!

The bright mode make the X1 LED moved out of sight because of the heat is very hot.

da1stprince

Jan 14, 2007
new york
Hi DeepThought.

When I start hTorch, I get an error message from .Net:

hTorch.exe
NotSupportedException
System.Drawing.Bitmap
at System.Resources.ResourceLoader.LoadObjectV2()

Any idea what's wrong?
It worked yesterday and I didn't install any program since.
i have a touch pro using a WM6.1 build 20931 kitchen and have this same problem.. i have changed default from net 2.0 to 3.5 and back,installed the net config tool and tried to get this program to work but get this same error message every time. What else can i do to get this to work?

matt822

Mar 22, 2009
Problem installing hTorch

i have currently installed the netcompactframework but now i have tried to download the hTorch files and in comes in a zip. i have downloaded the zip and extracted it onto my HTC FUZE and when i click setup it goes into opera mobile and nothing happens. please post directions on how to correctly download this hTorch thanks

DeepThought

Jul 6, 2006
Austria, Vienna
i have currently installed the netcompactframework but now i have tried to download the hTorch files and in comes in a zip. i have downloaded the zip and extracted it onto my HTC FUZE and when i click setup it goes into opera mobile and nothing happens. please post directions on how to correctly download this hTorch thanks

When you download hTorch from the original source the file extension is .cab (not .zip). And you have to copy the CAB-File onto your mobile device and "execute" it there to install hTorch.

rs.led

Mar 25, 2009
hTorch is congenital for the HTC Raphael (aka HTC Touch Pro) and has alone been activated on this device. It apparently works on all added accessories with a build-in LED as able-bodied but back I can't acquaint if those accessories are calefaction sinked amuse be actual careful!

gentleart

Mar 31, 2009
West End
Thank you - This is a nice little tool!
My only problem is that now my home key doesn't always work like it should.
Sometimes the home key even redials the last number I called, sends me to the settings menu, or it takes 3 or 4 taps before it sends me to the home screen.

Dr4g0n

Apr 28, 2007
hiho
i have a nother idee for htorch :)
can you build a function, that the LED flashes if a call is incomming/for a new sms :)

or like the older phones... that the LED is flashing on a active call. or by lower battery :) this would be nice :)

thx and i hope that you understand everythink, what i typed :D

debunker

Oct 23, 2008
Bussum
hiho
i have another idee for htorch :)
can you build a function, that the LED flashes if a call is incomming/for a new sms :)

or like the older phones... that the LED is flashing on a active call. or by lower battery :) this would be nice :)

thx and i hope that you understand everythink, what i typed :D

sounds like a really great idea, would be really usefull

gentleart

Mar 31, 2009
West End
I doubt it's caused by hTorch, nobody else reported such an issue. Did you install something else?

This was my first install.
I thought maybe I did something wrong, but I did do the soft reset after the install. Today it's working like a charm.

Weird.

I work 3rd shift, so this program will be used quite often.
Thanks again!

e46chris

Apr 16, 2009
it says I have to update the .net framework? how do i do this? if i cant get it to work.. how do i delete this app? :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

hTorch is a small application with a graphical user interface that enables you to use your Touch Pro as flashlight.

hTorch is built for the HTC Raphael (aka HTC Touch Pro) and has only been tested on this device. It probably works on all other devices with a build-in LED as well but since I can't tell if those devices are heat sinked please be very careful! PLEASE NOTE: Use this application at your own risk! I’ve done as much testing as possible, and will try to fix every bug which will be reported but it's my first Windows Mobile application and I can not guarantee that it is free of bugs. NetRipper deserves most of the credit because my application uses his TorchButtonLibrary v1.0 to control the LED itself.

Usage:

The program installs itself into "%ProgramFiles%\hTorch" and also creates a shortcut into %StartMenu%\Programs\Accessories. The further usage is as simple as possible. Start hTorch using the shortcut. On program start the LED will automatically be turned on and you will see the programs main screen.
    On the main screen you can:

• enable and disable the standard LED mode using the upper left bulb button.
    • enable and disable the bright LED mode using the upper right bulb button.
    • disable the display using the lower left button (The display can be turned on again using the power button)
    • exit the application using the lower right button.
    • enable and disable the standard LED mode using the D-Pad Action hardware button.
    • enable and disable the bright LED mode using the D-Pad UP hardware button.
    • disable the display using the D-Pad DOWN hardware button.

PLEASE NOTE: The flashlight will stay on forever - there is no timeout programmed. So the only timeout is the capacity of your battery. Burning the LED should not be very likely as this posting explains but please take care anyway. Please also note that the LED can not be left turned on while the device is in standby. So if you want to use the torch for an extended period please use the display off button but be aware that the hardware buttons will still function!
    pRequirements:

Version History:
    v3.2:
    • Added AppToDate support.
    • Some minor code optimizations.
    v3.1:
    • Fixed several minor bugs
    • Fixed one huge bug preventing the device from standby even after hTorch was already closed.
    • Added a special error handling in case a user terminated hTorch instead of using the quit-button.
    v3.0 (unreleased private beta):

• Source again completely rewritten. I'm now using the TorchButtonLib v1.0 to control the LED. Which now also means that hTorch and TorchButton can be installed at the same time.
    • Action button mapped with LED on/off function.
    • "UP"-button mapped with LED bright on/off function.
    • "DOWN"-button mapped with build-in display off function (display can be turned on using the power button).
    • Changed right softkey to menu with sub menu items: "Quit", "Bright LED On/Off", "Display Off", "About".
    • Changed normal LED on/off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
    • Added bright LED on/off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
    • Added display off button. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
    • Changed the program window not to maximize (so that now the status bar is visible).
    • Added function to prevent ideling into standby (AndyZap - Once again thank you for your help!)

v2.2:
    • Updated TorchButton to v1.2 which enlarged the maximum timeout from 300 seconds to 86400 seconds (a day) - Thank you NetRipper!
    v2.1:
    • Completely replaced all graphics to give the program a much more professional look and feel. (Artwork was done by obsidian73 - Thank You!)
    • Replaced the exe-file icon with a more diamond-like one
    v2.0 (unreleased private beta):
    • Completely rewritten source so that hTorch can now detect the LED state
    • Tightened the program as much as possible (exe-file lost about a bit more than 25% of its size)
    • Automatically turn off the LED on program exit
    • Changed auto-off timer to 5 minutes (hard coded)
    • Added SoftKey functions
    • Added About Dialog
    v1.1:
    • Fixed Bug when installing to Storage Card
    • Start LED on program start
    v1.0b:
    • Initial version
    On the picture you can see the programs
    main screen with usage information:

torchbuttonv31usagery7.png

Downloads so far (counting since v3.2):
    counter.png

AppToDate Users:
    counter.png.php

Do you like my work? Please consider donating:

Thank you for your support!

Thank you for your donations: snake_be, del4, rjmjr69, unknown_07.01.2009, unknown_12.01.2009, Fantedon - THANK YOU!