• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

[APP][ICS] EncPassChanger -- set different device encryption and lock screen password

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
No, there is no limits on the length of password when using this app. Android itself also doesn't force any restrictions on password length.
See frameworks/base/services/java/com/android/server/MountService.java (framework part, client) and system/vold/CommandListener.cpp (server part).

So you can really set as long password as you like. I hope there is no restrictions built in while reading password from user during boot, though... Need to check this.

Ronaldo Forenucci

May 19, 2012

brocktice

Nov 5, 2008
This is a much needed utility

Thanks for writing this. I can't believe it's not built into ICS. However, it says 'OK' when run on CM10/toro, but then the password did not change. What are the commands to change the password manually?

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------

Thanks for writing this. I can't believe it's not built into ICS. However, it says 'OK' when run on CM10/toro, but then the password did not change. What are the commands to change the password manually?
Of course, right after I post this it now works for some reason. It would still be good to have the commands listed to do it manually. I may try to figure it out from your source. Thanks again!

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
The command is 'vdc cryptfs changepw', see also https://github.com/kibab/encpasscha...ndroid/EncPassChanger/ChangePasswordTask.java
Please describe in detail what have you done and how you have tested that password did not change, that's interesting and maybe I should fix something.

Regarding password length limit, yes the Android UI may enforce some restrictions, but on the low-level there is no any checks of length. The only thing that I really should check is that is there is any restriction in password prompt that is presented during device boot.

brocktice

Nov 5, 2008
The command is 'vdc cryptfs changepw', see also https://github.com/kibab/encpasscha...ndroid/EncPassChanger/ChangePasswordTask.java
Please describe in detail what have you done and how you have tested that password did not change, that's interesting and maybe I should fix something.

Regarding password length limit, yes the Android UI may enforce some restrictions, but on the low-level there is no any checks of length. The only thing that I really should check is that is there is any restriction in password prompt that is presented during device boot.
I'm not really sure what happened the first time.

I put in my old and new passwords, clicked the button and the program said it was changed OK. However, then when I rebooted it needed the old password. I had a problem where it froze or ran out of juice suddenly later in the day, so maybe it has to shut down correctly to save the new password?

brocktice

Nov 5, 2008
Just set this up on the first try on my Nexus 7, no trouble. First time with the GNex must have been PEBKAC. Thanks again for making this app!

naguz

Jan 30, 2009
Works great on CM9 on Galaxy S2. Thanks! Now if only I could choose to combine encryption with a lock screen pattern! Time for a feature request, maybe. Too bad so few care about encryption, will probaly go unnoticed.

renaud

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 18, 2010
Braine-l'Alleud
Last edited:

Ronaldo Forenucci

May 19, 2012
LOL. True, but us crypto nerds are using 17 full ASCII characters for the stock encryption....a lot longer brute force time than 4 digits! :D Now with this utility..fugetabouit! It would be great if a YubiKey would work via OTG on the password entry screen at boot.

RF

0x000

Sep 2, 2010
any update on this? does it work properly on jelly bean? i have JB 4.1.2 already on my galaxy nexus and it doesn't show up in play store? i'd rather install it via play store instead of apk directly.

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Reactions: Nexus4_x and 0x000

0x000

Sep 2, 2010
ha, thanks very much :) it seems the play store search does not show anything (also tested with another galaxy nexus on 4.1.2 JB and tried many different search keywords) but it works fine with the direct link with play store!

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Version 2.0 of EncPassChanger brings fixes for Jelly Bean (particularly, checks for validity of old password), shell characters escaping (which means more complex passwords) and "Debug mode", which one can use to debug problems with password changing process.
Google Play version is updated, code is uploaded on GitHub :)

Last edited:

Ronaldo Forenucci

May 19, 2012
Version 2.0 of EncPassChanger brings fixes for Jelly Bean (particularly, checks for validity of old password), shell characters escaping (which means more complex passwords) and "Debug mode", which one can use to debug problems with password changing process.
Google Play version is updated, code is uploaded on GitHub :)
This worked well on 4.3 as well...Will it be good on 4.4? (My N5 is getting here today). Thanks for the hard work! Us security guys are a small group, but these types of programs are critical :D

PD

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
This worked well on 4.3 as well...Will it be good on 4.4? (My N5 is getting here today). Thanks for the hard work! Us security guys are a small group, but these types of programs are critical :D

PD
Unfortunately Google chose not to issue an update to 4.4 for my Galaxy Nexus phone. So I cannot test if my app will work on 4.4.
I will be happy to assist anyone in testing the app on 4.4.

0x000

Sep 2, 2010
i've just tested it on my nexus 5 (EU version), as far as i can tell everything works fine as intended.
only selecting the debug output text didn't work properly, everytime i've selected it and scrolled down, the "copy button" disappeared hence i have no debug info for you ^^

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone