[APP] ICS Launcher With 3/7 Home Screens

Search This thread

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
I find it very annoying that the stock launcher comes with 5 screens and you are completely unable to add or remove any of them. I have never needed or used more than 3 screens so it is quite inconvenient to have a launcher with 5 screens that I cannot edit. So, I decompiled the stock ICS launcher and edited the layout to contain 3 screens. I would add an option to edit the screen count in the app itself but I have not compiled ICS on my computer and I do not plan to do so (at least until I upgrade my RAM).

I have also uploaded a version with 7 screens. I tried to allow screen rotation as well but ran into some issues when editing the AndroidManifest.xml. I'll see if I can get it working though.

Download 3 screens: http://www.multiupload.com/ZE4AY4IUM2
Download 7 screens: http://www.multiupload.com/ECCSUYTKI8

To install (rename to Launcher2.apk)
via adb:
Code:
adb push /path/to/downloaded/Launcher2.apk /system/app/
via root file manager:
- copy modified Launcher2.apk to sdcard. Copy from sdcard to /system/app/ and overwrite existing Launcher2.apk

Last edited:

amosher13

Sep 17, 2010
CO
I find it very annoying that the stock launcher comes with 5 screens and you are completely unable to add or remove any of them. I have never needed or used more than 3 screens so it is quite inconvenient to have a launcher with 5 screens that I cannot edit. So, I decompiled the stock ICS launcher and edited the layout to contain 3 screens. I would add an option to edit the screen count in the app itself but I have not compiled ICS on my computer and I do not plan to do so (at least until I upgrade my RAM).

I may upload a version with 7 home screens if anyone would be interested. Also a version which supports screen rotation. If anyone wants it let me know, as I do not.

Download: http://www.multiupload.com/ZE4AY4IUM2

via adb:
Code:
via root file manager:
- copy modified Launcher2.apk to sdcard. Copy from sdcard to /system/app/ and overwrite existing Launcher2.apk

downloading now, will report back. what did you use to decompile? i was using apk manager 4.9 when i was on the Epic but that was failing to decompile (i wanted to mess around myself). i updated apktool.jar and smali/baksmali and still no go.

Esteway.619

Dec 30, 2010
san diego
Thanks. I would like a 7 home screen launcher if u don't mind. :D. That would be great.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

adaimespechip

Mar 3, 2009
Bristol
Bookmarking to flash tomorrow.. Good work :)

ps. Screen Rotation - HELL YES. Definitely upload please!

Last edited:

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
downloading now, will report back. what did you use to decompile? i was using apk manager 4.9 when i was on the Epic but that was failing to decompile (i wanted to mess around myself). i updated apktool.jar and smali/baksmali and still no go.

I second this question. I'm having a lot of trouble working on ics apks.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

I had some trouble too but realized you need a modified apktool.jar. I got it from the issues page on apktool. Here's the link: http://www.multiupload.com/YWJHOSZ7GJ

Just replace your current apktool.jar (I am assuming you use apktool) with this one.

amosher13

Sep 17, 2010
CO
Awesome, thank you much!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

--

EDIT: dropped in the new apktool and i still get errors decompiling, any ideas? did you just drag and drop? (yes i renamed to apktool.jar)

Last edited:

Paul627g

Dec 13, 2010
Plainfield, Il.
I had some trouble too but realized you need a modified apktool.jar. I got it from the issues page on apktool. Here's the link: http://www.multiupload.com/YWJHOSZ7GJ

Just replace your current apktool.jar (I am assuming you use apktool) with this one.

You also need to update your SDK package and pull the newest aapt.exe from the platform-tools folder and place that in APK Manager along with the updated APK Tool.

The new apktool gets you decompiling but you need the aapt.exe to complete the package so you can re compile....

Reactions: amosher13

RushAOZ

Mar 9, 2008
I'm having trouble installing. After you copy and overwrite in the system/app folder what do now?

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm having trouble installing. After you copy and overwrite in the system/app folder what do now?

ordinarily, you would fix permissions to rw-r--r-- and reboot

or if adb:
adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/Launcher2.apk
adb reboot

.. or reboot into recovery -- advanced, fix permissions. But I was having trouble with FCing after. Anyone else? I'm gonna give it another go. Realllly need 2 more screens :)

Reactions: RushAOZ

RushAOZ

Mar 9, 2008

or if adb:
adb reboot

.. or reboot into recovery -- advanced, fix permissions. But I was having trouble with FCing after. Anyone else? I'm gonna give it another go. Realllly need 2 more screens :)

Fixed permissions. Still not getting an option for ics launcher when I reset defaults in launcher pro :(

RushAOZ

Mar 9, 2008
Ok, I just tried this again. I dl the file on my pc. Renamed to launcher2.apk. pushed it to my sd card. Opened root explorer. Copied file. Went to system/app. Enabled r/w. Hit paste. Overwrite. Reboot into recovery. Advanced/fix permissions. Reboot. Still nothing. Am I doing something wrong here? Btw running cm7 nightlies 174.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have also uploaded a version with 7 screens. I tried to allow screen rotation as well but ran into some issues when editing the AndroidManifest.xml. I'll see if I can get it working though.

Download 3 screens: http://www.multiupload.com/ZE4AY4IUM2
    Download 7 screens: http://www.multiupload.com/ECCSUYTKI8

via adb:
    Code:
    via root file manager:

You also need to update your SDK package and pull the newest aapt.exe from the platform-tools folder and place that in APK Manager along with the updated APK Tool.

The new apktool gets you decompiling but you need the aapt.exe to complete the package so you can re compile....

or if adb:
    adb reboot