Question App isn't available every now and then?

Search This thread

emontes

Greetings,

Has anyone seen some apps getting greyed out and when you try to open it, you get a:

App isn't available. App isn;'t available at the moment.
This is managed by root.

Tried to search for this everywhere but wasn't able to find anything.

It's random, it's happening to a few at the moment: Wifi Analyzer, WireGuard, Wirex, Wise, etc.
As it happened to WhatsApp, I uninstalled, reinstalled and it worked but it's very odd.
Maybe custom kernel issue, is it only on boot before everything initializes? Should have to wait 2 to 4 min after boot

Reactions: emontes
I don't have a custom kernel, it's straight on latest Oxygen and it stays indefinitely, funny enough. Was also happening with the XDA app, removing and reinstalling did the tri

I don't have a custom kernel, it's straight on latest Oxygen and it stays indefinitely, funny enough. Was also happening with the XDA app, removing and reinstalling did the trick.
Try turning off modules one by one till you find the culprit. No issues here

Reactions: emontes

emontes

This is crazy. It just happened again, I disabled every module and rebooted but it is still there, same error message and the app is greyed out. Both on nova and oneplus launcher . Have no idea what's causing that here .
Attached is the error on the screen.
Just ran a logcat and this message is what I get when I click one of the greyed out apps:

Package root not found
android.content.pm.PackageManager$NameNotFoundException: root
at android.app.ApplicationPackageManager.getApplicationInfoAsUser(ApplicationPackageManager.java:428)
at com.android.internal.app.SuspendedAppActivity.getAppLabel(SuspendedAppActivity.java:73)
at com.android.internal.app.SuspendedAppActivity.resolveDialogMessage(SuspendedAppActivity.java:138)
at com.android.internal.app.SuspendedAppActivity.onCreate(SuspendedAppActivity.java:208)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:8006)
at android.app.Activity.performCreate(Activity.java:7990)
at android.app.Instrumentation.callActivityOnCreate(Instrumentation.java:1329)
at android.app.ActivityThread.performLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3589)
at android.app.ActivityThread.handleLaunchActivity(ActivityThread.java:3780)
at android.app.servertransaction.LaunchActivityItem.execute(LaunchActivityItem.java:85)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.executeCallbacks(TransactionExecutor.java:135)
at android.app.servertransaction.TransactionExecutor.execute(TransactionExecutor.java:95)
at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:2251)
at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:233)
at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:8035)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:631)
at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:978)

Screenshot_20210801-184026.jpg

Last edited:

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
I found the answer! The apps are being suspended by alpha backup for backup. The bugger ended up suspending itself while backing itself up. Guess what happens when you suspend your own self?....:)

A simple :

Code:
pm unsuspend com.ruet_cse_1503050.ragib.appbackup.pro
from adb shell with root did the magic

emontes

I found the answer! The apps are being suspended by alpha backup for backup. The bugger ended up suspending itself while backing itself up. Guess what happens when you suspend your own self?....:)

A simple :

Code:
Oh wow,that's cool, @devsk, thanks for coming back for an update!
My apologies @matze19999 , I haven't seen your update on the thread (didn't get a notification!)
It just happened with me again, though, and alpha backup blocked the settings and UI wizard apps ,bizarre to say the least. Just thinking how I will get out of this situation as ADB shell doesn't work , magisk (which I renamed and is called settings) is also locked and if I boot via bootloader with a magisk_rooted boot image, I can't install magisk as well. Looks like it's start from scratch for me.

Last edited:

wimstefan

Sep 20, 2014

A simple :

Code:
Many thanks Sir!
You've saved my life :D
Exactly the same happened to me when trying out Alpha Backup Pro and naively check the "Suspend apps before backup/restore" not realizing it might not unsuspend them *after* backing them up :/

Quite a bugger if you'd ask me - I had to unsuspend about 200 apps ... what a tedious job :(

On another note: what do you think about Alpha Backup Pro? Is it worth keeping? I'm not switching/updating ROMs a lot nowadays because our device has some problems with TWRP so I can't test it "in real life scenarios" ;)

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Apart from this glitch with suspend, I have found this app to be the most complete and most reliable backup solution (I loved TiBu before it got abandoned).

Reactions: wimstefan

wimstefan

Sep 20, 2014
Apart from this glitch with suspend, I have found this app to be the most complete and most reliable backup solution (I loved TiBu before it got abandoned).
Thanks for coming back to my question!
I'm still undecided between Alpha Backup Pro and OandBackupX ...
Right now I'm quite puzzled that Alpha Backup Pro seems to have executed the nightly schedule to backup the complete data well - at least the backup folder is filled with files *but* inside the app the backed up data tab is empty 🤔

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
I played with OandBackupX for quite a while because I was looking for replacing TiBu with an open source solution. My advice: stay away from it. It won't restore properly. As much as I like open source, this app is not there yet. I hope it is complete and reliable at some point.

With Alpha Backup, make sure you do a complete local backup! Ignore everything else.

Reactions: wimstefan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A simple :

Code:
    It's random, it's happening to a few at the moment: Wifi Analyzer, WireGuard, Wirex, Wise, etc.
    As it happened to WhatsApp, I uninstalled, reinstalled and it worked but it's very odd.
    Maybe custom kernel issue, is it only on boot before everything initializes? Should have to wait 2 to 4 min after boot
    I don't have a custom kernel, it's straight on latest Oxygen and it stays indefinitely, funny enough. Was also happening with the XDA app, removing and reinstalling did the tri

I don't have a custom kernel, it's straight on latest Oxygen and it stays indefinitely, funny enough. Was also happening with the XDA app, removing and reinstalling did the trick.
    Try turning off modules one by one till you find the culprit. No issues here
    I played with OandBackupX for quite a while because I was looking for replacing TiBu with an open source solution. My advice: stay away from it. It won't restore properly. As much as I like open source, this app is not there yet. I hope it is complete and reliable at some point.

With Alpha Backup, make sure you do a complete local backup! Ignore everything else.