particular. This will NOT be general news only Galaxy Nexus
related news.

I have fixed a couple bugs in the app one being the Galaxy Nexus
crash error (ROM specific). I also am working to fix the random hot
reboot error when exiting the app. There is also a suprise new
feature coming soon that I am working on. Can you guess what it
is? Cheers!

About

Hello all of you Samsung Galaxy Nexus users!

We have a huge thread for the Linux-On-Android project, but its sometimes hard to get every question seen an answered in a timly and orderly fassion. So I created this thread for all the Samsung Galaxy Nexus users to post their questions, comments, and anything related to the project. This pretains to ALL Galaxy Nexus devices (GSM, LTE, HSPA+, etc...).

What is this all about?/Why put this on my Galaxy Nexus?
This projects aim is to bring a range of linux distros to your android device through a method known as 'chroot', see it has running a linux distro within a virtual machine on your phone. You can access this virtual machine and run it on your phone without causing any damage to your device, or having to overwrite anything. Why might you want this? well my apps are designed to make the install and set up process as easy as possible (more so in the paid apps) while still giving you some flexibility. Once you have the distro up and running then you can pretty much run and install any linux software you like (so long as there is a arm port or it is not architecturaly depenedent), sure there a very few big benefits over what android itself can do but it is still pretty dam cool. (and with the free ubuntu version, hey its free does it matter how useful you find it?)

Wait this uses VNC why shouldn't I just VNC to a computer?
VNC is used to access the GUI as at the moment I have not yet implemented a native way of viewing the GUI. But the Linux distro itself is running within the phone and can be controlled via the terminal app so if your a seasoned Linux user you may never even want to use the GUI

What is Chroot?/How does this work?
"A chroot on Unix operating systems is an operation that changes the apparent root directory for the current running process and its children" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot

This method of running linux distros with android has been around for some time. I have worked on my scripts to make the process more user friendly and give you far more options from the word go.
The scripts start by mounting the ubuntu image file within the android file system and then mounts the sdcard and if ou have it internal memory within the ubuntu file system.
Chroot is then used to change the root directory to that of the mounted ubuntu and a bash shell is then opened to allow you to control Ubuntu this is kind of like 'booting' the OS.
The likes of VNC and SSHD are then set up when ubuntu is 'booted' to allow you to connect to the GUI if you require it.

Other Links

Development Thread

Website

User Video Tutorials/Examples

sa30udi- Ubuntu Boot

Last edited:

tifford

Jul 14, 2011
birmingham
This is awesome. And I've watched it grow leaps and bounds over the past year.

The only thing that would make it tremendously better for me would be mouse support. I don't know of it's just me not knowing how to do it, and if it is I apologize. A mouse works, yes, but you have to drag the cursor with it. If there was some way that the cursor could be directly controlled by a USB or Bluetooth mouse, I'd be passionately in love.

I'm already in love with this app and the possibilities it opens. Thanks for the hard work. You already have a donation from me.

:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville

The only thing that would make it tremendously better for me would be mouse support. I don't know of it's just me not knowing how to do it, and if it is I apologize. A mouse works, yes, but you have to drag the cursor with it. If there was some way that the cursor could be directly controlled by a USB or Bluetooth mouse, I'd be passionately in love.

I'm already in love with this app and the possibilities it opens. Thanks for the hard work. You already have a donation from me.

I agree with you and right now click and move and click and drag to move are the only supported ways using the vnc viewer. However we will eventually be making our on vnc viewer application built into the app. I have already set up the framework for it so you should see that in the near future.

Reactions: tifford

androidkid311

Jun 5, 2011
Yup force close here too. But I can't waiiiiiit for this! Most exciting thing for android right now :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville
We have decided to remove the v2 app from the playstore and replace it with the old v1.2.1 release for the time being.

We where un happy with the amount of crashes and decided it would be better to remove the app for now and get the bugs all fixed.

Thank you for your patients and comments, we will also be looking to improve the widget(s) and included new builds guides before re-releasing v2!

Savant

Jul 29, 2011
Manchester
Re: [App] Linux-On-Android Project for Samsung Galaxy Nexus (All OFFICIALY Supported)

We have decided to remove the v2 app from the playstore and replace it with the old v1.2.1 release for the time being.

We where un happy with the amount of crashes and decided it would be better to remove the app for now and get the bugs all fixed.

Thank you for your patients and comments, we will also be looking to improve the widget(s) and included new builds guides before re-releasing v2!

I will be patiently waiting for the app and hopefully you find out what was causing the bugs.

xTremePower

Aug 25, 2007
Carcassonne
www.facebook.com
hy, I make everithing like described,

when I log into VNC I have a grey screen with mouse, after 10 sec I have the Ubuntu wallpaper for 3 sec, after this go back to the grey screen with the mouse,
I can move the mouse but cant see nothing

anyone have an idea please ?

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville
Weekly Update

I am also going to start doing weekly news updates on what is
happening with Linux-On-Android and the Galaxy Nexus in
related news.

is? Cheers! ;)

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville
hy, I make everithing like described,

when I log into VNC I have a grey screen with mouse, after 10 sec I have the Ubuntu wallpaper for 3 sec, after this go back to the grey screen with the mouse,
I can move the mouse but cant see nothing

anyone have an idea please ?

I am not sure I know of the grey screen, but I have never heard of it going back to it after loading the wallpaper and the rest. I will deffinatley look into this as soon as I can.

WEM97

Jun 25, 2011
Woodinville
How is this thread different than this thread? Wouldn't it be better to have this all in the original thread?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24515123

If you read the OP underneath weekly update it explains. Please read the post before asking a question like this unless you have already read the post and are just asking for more information or clarification.

twistedumbrella

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2007
abandonedcart.gitlab.io
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    loa-logo.png

READ THE FAQ BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING thank you

Weekly Update

I am also going to start doing weekly news updates on what is
    happening with Linux-On-Android and the Galaxy Nexus in
    related news.

is? Cheers!

About

Hello all of you Samsung Galaxy Nexus users!

We have a huge thread for the Linux-On-Android project, but its sometimes hard to get every question seen an answered in a timly and orderly fassion. So I created this thread for all the Samsung Galaxy Nexus users to post their questions, comments, and anything related to the project. This pretains to ALL Galaxy Nexus devices (GSM, LTE, HSPA+, etc...).

What is this all about?/Why put this on my Galaxy Nexus?
    This projects aim is to bring a range of linux distros to your android device through a method known as 'chroot', see it has running a linux distro within a virtual machine on your phone. You can access this virtual machine and run it on your phone without causing any damage to your device, or having to overwrite anything. Why might you want this? well my apps are designed to make the install and set up process as easy as possible (more so in the paid apps) while still giving you some flexibility. Once you have the distro up and running then you can pretty much run and install any linux software you like (so long as there is a arm port or it is not architecturaly depenedent), sure there a very few big benefits over what android itself can do but it is still pretty dam cool. (and with the free ubuntu version, hey its free does it matter how useful you find it?)

Wait this uses VNC why shouldn't I just VNC to a computer?
    VNC is used to access the GUI as at the moment I have not yet implemented a native way of viewing the GUI. But the Linux distro itself is running within the phone and can be controlled via the terminal app so if your a seasoned Linux user you may never even want to use the GUI

What is Chroot?/How does this work?
    "A chroot on Unix operating systems is an operation that changes the apparent root directory for the current running process and its children" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot

This method of running linux distros with android has been around for some time. I have worked on my scripts to make the process more user friendly and give you far more options from the word go.
    The scripts start by mounting the ubuntu image file within the android file system and then mounts the sdcard and if ou have it internal memory within the ubuntu file system.
    Chroot is then used to change the root directory to that of the mounted ubuntu and a bash shell is then opened to allow you to control Ubuntu this is kind of like 'booting' the OS.
    The likes of VNC and SSHD are then set up when ubuntu is 'booted' to allow you to connect to the GUI if you require it.

Other Links

Development Thread

Website

User Video Tutorials/Examples

sa30udi- Ubuntu Boot
    LinuxOnAndroid Beta v3 is out and ready for you to gobble up! Let me know if you have any questions or bug reports! Cheers!

Download:

Beta v3

I agree with you and right now click and move and click and drag to move are the only supported ways using the vnc viewer. However we will eventually be making our on vnc viewer application built into the app. I have already set up the framework for it so you should see that in the near future.
    App force closes.when I click "install guides".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

OK I'll look into that. ThNks for reporting it.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone