[APP]Location Aware myRadar for Tilt 2

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
myRadar is a location aware radar application that makes use of Wunderground and Accuweather US webservices to show real-time, animated Radar Images of your local area regardless of where in the US you might be. This application requires myLocation services to function automatically.

Note: the ROM based HTML viewer control that myRadar uses to pull web service data is broken in cooked WM6.5 builds from mid 23xxx up to 28205 (which tested good when I built for Raphael). The problem renders the viewer unable to "go online". No 21xxx ROMs are affected tmk. This includes all shipping WM6.5 builds & derivatives. Hopefully we'll get to the root problem itnf and it won't require a re-flash to correct

The myLocation service installer can be found here.

The program will install to \Program Files\myRadar. A custom png Icon is also located there for those who may wish to install it in Titanium or Manilla.

Have fun with it!

Changelog:

v1.1
Added gesture capability when loaded in landscape mode. changed pathing logic.
Todo: resize window when device is switched to landscape mode during display.

v1.2
Improved pathing logic. myRadar now looks for myRadar.html in the same folder.
Window will auto-resize when landscape mode is selected. Whether it shows the Map or a background "loading" display is sporadic however. I'm still tracking this bug.
White screen issue isn't fixed yet. I believe I know where the problem lies however.

v1.3
Auto-resize issues corrected. The shown map resizes correctly.
HTC G-Sensor enabled. Simply orient your device for the view you prefer.
Re-boot after installing to activate G-Sensor changes.

v1.4
I removed the Accuweather feed. Using the Wunderground Feed only. Buttons now allow zoom in/out in 120 mile radius increments.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Already have Radar working. I'll be working on his mortscript for the weather panels itnf. I took a cursory glance a few weeks ago and it's no big deal. I'm hoping to see a lat/long->zipcode myLocation plugin itnf from irus. That will make coding changes a breeze.

teorouge

Jul 29, 2008
Trento
Please don't keep it US and WVGA only as your mylocation "awareness" keeps getting better! At least, the non-radar part (radar's US only, isn't it?)! :D

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
lol, guess I deserved that. :)

If you can give me some web URLs that return international radar images, I'd be happy to work custom HTML scripts into the application and let everybody choose which ones to use.

myRadar is really a customized browser that displays a page from myRadar.html. That HTML file contains the coded wunderground/accuweather info. I can link to any site that can return an animated gif when you give it a lat/long.

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
Sweet!
I always love new radar apps! Nice find!

Installed, my location is working properly.
When I click on the radar app, I get a banner in the toolbar with the name, but
a blank white screen where the radar app should be?

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
hmmm... so you don't see the button that says "accuweather" on the top or the green line that says Weather Underground Radar loop on the bottom? That tells me it isn't loading the html page. If you installed to your SD card then that would cause it. myradar.html must be in \program files\myRadar

phinphan

Oct 28, 2005
Indialantic,FL
Sleuth - Same problem with blank white screen and nothing else. Location is perfect in mylocation. I am running EnergyRom 123109 with 2.5 sense interface. Edit - running it in the Titanium interface makes no difference.

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
Sleuth - Same problem with blank white screen and nothing else. Location is perfect in mylocation. I am running EnergyRom 123109 with 2.5 sense interface. Edit - running it in the Titanium interface makes no difference.
Go to my device (not storage card)\program files\myRadar with your favorite file manager. Is there a file named "myRadar.html" there ?(or will have PIE icon if you can't display file extensions) What other files are in this directory?

If myRadar.html is there, tap on it to launch in PIE. What state is shown on the map?

edit: if you don't have a \program files\myRadar directory on your device, then re-download the cab in post 1 and re-install. I just noticed that your initial post occurred just after I posted the fix.

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
I saw accuweather radar images are for Europe, too. As for Vienna, so it's for Trento (Italy). http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/EUR/IT/IT017/Trento/satellite.aspx
Is this software going to become worldwiSe? :D
Working on this. Your first URL stopped working for me after a few inquiries (returned page not available error). I'm investigating why this might be.

The one you just gave me doesn't use Lat/Long coordinates so won't work without a regional translator utility which can take Latitude/Longitude and translate to "EUR/IT/IT017" for example. We're working on one that can do this for US Zip codes currently. I'm also working on getting WOEID information into myLocation since this is a worldwide location system as well that seems to be turning into a standard of some sort.

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
Still not working

Ok, mine is in the correct folder.
When I launch the html file, it pops up in PIE like it is suppose to.
When I launch it from the icon, I get a blank white screen.

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
v1.1 is up! Adds gesture support to the landscape display.

@posters with white screens: check to see if this cures the issue. If this doesn't cure the issue, please post links to the Chef's thread for the ROM you are running so I can take a look at it.

Last edited:

Sleuth255

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 3, 2006
Milwaukee
blog.kwilcox.org
sooo.. did the update not help you? Can you post a link to your Rom's thead? The HTML viewer is loading b/c you get a white screen. I'll throw an error if the control isn't loaded. I'm gonna test on some of my older devices to see if I can reproduce this.

edit. Sorry, tried WM5 original TyTN (unbelievable that myLocation works on this with only font issues on the cpl dialog box), WM6 running on a Tilt, and WM6.5 running on a Fuze. I'm unable to reproduce the blank white screen issue. :(

Last edited: