• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] LUMOS v1.0 *FINAL* (Complete HTC Auto-Backlight replacement) [UPD.:08-02-2011]

Search This thread

buggybug0

Sep 17, 2006
Lumos v09 has been released
This version introduces a few new minor features but focuses mainly on fixing most (if not all) known bugs and improving reliability and ease of use for new users. CPU usage and battery life should be the same or little better than v08 but the difference is nominal.
My battery can last 4-5 days now with low usage :)

Main new features:
- exceptions can be set to detect only active window (both modes have similar CPU usage)
- installation will automatically disable the built-in HTC auto backlight
- uninstallation will return auto backlight to its former state
- LumosWizard can return backlight to former levels upon exit
- setting tolerance won't prevent backlight from going to lowest and highest settings
- added LumosStarter.exe that (re)starts Lumos service without any feedback

Main bug fixes:
- fixed bug when Lumos got stuck on device softreset due to a bug in HTC sensor libraries
- fixed bug that would set AC power brightness on switch from cable to battery even if disabled in settings
- fixed glitches while deleting and saving multiple exceptions
- fixed erratic backlight control during operation of LumosWizard

.. and many more I forgot to track :)

If you like and use Lumos, you are welcome to donate.

Enjoy the new version!

very nice, fixed my last bug. also it would be nice if you can add this to AppToDate, so we can auto update it, saves you the trouble as well. :D cheers! good work!

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
It much depends on your usage, proper calibration and advanced settings. If you mostly operate indoors at low light, your battery should improve compared to built-in auto backlight if set right. If you're using G-Light at the moment, your battery will definitely improve.

Give it a shot you can always uninstall, it's risk free. Just pay attention to the calibration process.

If you're unsure about the advanced settings, visit settings.txt file in Lumos directory, it holds clues about individual settings, what they do, which affect battery etc. ;)

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Of course you can, but calibration ensures that the backlight will suit YOUR needs. We all have different behaviour patterns and different requirements for the backlight and even the light sensor sensitivity differs a bit between devices.

Calibration is simple 4-step process, you can always repeat it and there are no changes to your device, first two steps simply detect your sensor minimum and maximum that can be read. In second two steps you set the backlight you want to have in complete darkness and backlight you want to have in direct sunlight for example.

If there are still problems with PhoneAlarm disabling Lumos, you can set PA to activate \Program Files\Lumos\LumosStarter.exe on profile change.

Last edited:

michael_r

Nov 27, 2008
Auto backlight

I am not sure I understand where the existing backlight should be. Is autobacklight in settings-power supposed to be checked or not? You notes say it is disabled if lumos is installed. But I have the checkbox, and it is still checked. If I uncheck it, manual slider still works.
Thanks

Aussi

Oct 29, 2007
Utrecht
Xiaomi Mi A3
Is it me or do I think it doesnt work :D

Cause my screen stays dimmed abit even when having full light..

And when i'm at total darkness the screen doesnt light up :S

I only did the calibration cause no more is needed right?

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Quess you did the calibration wrong ;)
try to manually max sensor value at 700
and set the min/max backlight to more different values, like 2/8.

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Translations

A little news flash:
Lumos beta2 is out for people who volunteered and were chosen for translating it to their language.

The list of assigned translations (and owners of Lumos v10 pre-release :p) is in this post

When the guys are done translating I will release RC1 version to general public and after a while (after we gather even more translations and weed out bugs) it's final :p

Still if there's someone interested in translating to an unassigned language (like Italian for example), send me a private message and get your hands on the beta :D

For the unlucky rest, there are updates in post #2 changelog so you can see what to expect. Faster loading, more battery and brand new backlight modes to do anything you ever could have wanted to do with your backlight :)

Today after release of new SyncManager and Lumos beta2, I'm just going to enjoy my well earned rest...

M

mcowly

Version 9 here, I like it!
Does it start automatically after soft reset?

Thanks for this great app mate!

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
It should start automatically, if it doesn't for you, make sure you have v09b which fixes the issue.

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
New Version

Lumos version 1.0 RC1
has been officially released.

Most notable new features:
- language packs
- backlight modes
- HW keyboard backlight
- new sensor handling with higher dynamic range
- revamped calibration process
- faster loading
- same CPU usage as previous versions
You can see the list of all changes in second post.

Languages included:
English, Bulgarian, Czech, Francais, Japanese, Nederlands
+ support for making your own, further information on languages in first post.

FAQ in second post has been updated if you have any questions.

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
New version

Lumos v10 RC2 has been released!

News:
- fixed custom mode alignment ( hopefully so :) )
- fixed all known glitches in the wizard
- new wizard failsafes prevent you from saving values that are out of bounds for your device
- added all available languages

Download in first post. Complete list of changes and FAQ in second post.

enjoy :)

nmoreman

Sep 9, 2008
I just want to say THANK YOU, I have been hating my Diamond, can't see in the sunlight.
I downloaded this, calibrated to sunlight, hit 1446 on lumens. It looks like it will do exactly what I need, I will gladly donate to your cuase

starship001

Jun 10, 2009
Leicester
Auto backlight not working

Hi there!

Had to hard reset my Blackstone and found problem with backlight. When in sleep mode, touching the screen anywhere didn't give full backlight. The only way to get full backlight is to power off and on again. Have set and reset backlight in Power settings, but not change.

Have installed Lumos, but still have the same problem - can anyone help, please?

nik3r

Feb 24, 2008
Budweis
Hmm I have no clue, perhaps check the Key Lock settings or it may be some 3rd party application. You can hard reset again and trace this behaviour to the app that does it. Don't expect Lumos to miraculously fix this, it obeys the same system-wide power settings as regular backlight.