[APP] MobileWebCam (2G/3G/WIFI, no PC or UMTS router required!) v3.13

Search This thread

Rampler

Nov 12, 2011
Bavaria
Help desireable

Hello,
i have many questions...
- I have 1und1 as isp, no extra package, only a Domain. Can i use php, i dont think so, correct ?
- I am able to write the Pictures to a Folder to my Domain. I have the index.html in the same Folder. I get only the latest Picture named current.jpg. Is it possible to get a Gallery without php ?
- in my android the button "Change Setting" doenst work. It Points to http://android-ip:8080/configure. What is my mistake ?

best regrads
Klaus

me-systeme

Aug 29, 2012
- I have 1und1 as isp, no extra package, only a Domain. Can i use php, i dont think so, correct ?
normally php should work

Is it possible to get a Gallery without php ?
no

- in my android the button "Change Setting" doenst work. It Points to http://android-ip:8080/configure. What is my mistake ?
do not know, perhaps result of any remote control app?

gallery scripts you find here:
http://code.google.com/p/mobilewebcam-serverside/downloads/list

a free gallery for mobilewebcam you find here:
http://www.opensmartcam.com or just follow the wizzard "opensmartcam" within the app.

Best regards
Holger

Rampler

Nov 12, 2011
Bavaria
Hello,
i have many questions...
- I am able to write the Pictures to a Folder to my Domain. I have the index.html in the same Folder. I get only the latest Picture named current.jpg. Is it possible to get a Gallery without php ?

best regrads
Klaus

Hello together,
i want to give a Feedback.
First of all, the app works great !!
The button " Change Setting" is working now. If i click on the button, i get a error message, after refrsh the page, it works. I am using IE10 with Chrome no Problem.
1und1 does not Support php at the Moment for my package, but all newer 1und1 packages should Support php. I have wrote an email to 1und1 Support. We will see..
regards Klaus

Rampler

Nov 12, 2011
Bavaria
PHP Scripts does not work

I have installed a Apache Server 2.12.17 with php 5.4.6..
Copied the Content of mobilewebcam-php-1.03a.zip into htdocs, but i get many error Messages, like:
PHP Notice: Undefined variable: smallname
PHP Notice: Undefined index: userfile
and so one..

Maybe the php scripts Need to be updated for php 5.4.6, is it possible ?

me-systeme

Aug 29, 2012
I have installed a Apache Server 2.12.17 with php 5.4.6..
Copied the Content of mobilewebcam-php-1.03a.zip into htdocs, but i get many error Messages, like:
PHP Notice: Undefined variable: smallname
PHP Notice: Undefined index: userfile
and so one..

Maybe the php scripts Need to be updated for php 5.4.6, is it possible ?
Hello,
no,it is not a question of php 5.4
please check "$root_dir" and $httpd_dir; if they are not correct, all other filenames will be not correct too.

but mjpeg.php is not working;
try it out here:
http://www.test.opensmartcam.com

Best regards
Holger

Rampler

Nov 12, 2011
Bavaria
Hello,
no,it is not a question of php 5.4
please check "$root_dir" and $httpd_dir; if they are not correct, all other filenames will be not correct too.

try it out here:
http://www.test.opensmartcam.com

Best regards
Holger

Hello Holger,

Thank You for your help !!!

first of all, i am really happy with the functions which works already.

Many Problems i had, were caused due to my Installation and a leg of knowledge.

Today the gallery.php and cam.php are working 100%. (including Image.php)

I have had Trouble with the function in cam.php:
$image = @imagecreatefromjpeg($archivefile);
The script (Cam.php) stops working. (No Message: "Thumpnail OK" on the phone) After a new PHP-BIN file in my server this function is also working. (JPEG Support was missing) The thumbnails exists now.
By the way, i am using a Apache 2.2.17 on fritzbox 7390.

The Timelaps function generate the following error message, one message every Picture:

[Thu Aug 22 19:25:47 2013] [error] [client 95.90.120.66] PHP Warning: file_get_contents(/archive/2013-08-22/320x240/1377190737.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/media/ftp/WD-Elements1023-01/apache-2.2.17/htdocs/mjpeg.php on line 46, referer: http://xxxxxxxx.selfhost.bz:85/gallery.php

The file exist for sure, i have set the permission for tests to 777.
The $root_dir is set to /var/media/ftp/WD-Elements1023-01/apache-2.2.17/htdocs which is correct i think.

In your last posting you wrote:
Does it mean it is a known bug ?

Kind reagrds
Klaus
PS: It would be easier to write in german, is it ok ?

me-systeme

Aug 29, 2012
Today the gallery.php and cam.php are working 100%. (including Image.php)

The Timelaps function generate the following error message, one message every Picture:
[Thu Aug 22 19:25:47 2013] [error] [client 95.90.120.66] PHP Warning: file_get_contents(/archive/2013-08-22/320x240/1377190737.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/media/ftp/WD-Elements1023-01/apache-2.2.17/htdocs/mjpeg.php on line 46, referer: http://xxxxxxxx.selfhost.bz:85/gallery.php

Hello,
good news.
The timelapse script seems to have errors, you should delete it and delete the link to the timelapse script.
I get other error messages, and i fear there is still too much to do...
perhaps you get more informations from this link:
http://naiboo.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/quick-and-dirty-webcam-time-lapse-script/

Another gallery script is minigal-nano:
http://www.minigal.dk/minigal-nano.html

I am using it at http://www.opensmartcam.com.

Best regards
Holger

Last edited:

vitti92

Jan 3, 2013
Sorry boy, how is possible to use mobilewebcam in live video streaming?
I try to open a mjpeg link with VLC but nothing.Thanks and sorry if I have post on wrong Thread.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using xda app-developers app

torgo26

Jan 31, 2013
Nexus 7
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Settings not accessable

Hi,
I use this app on a LG GT540. Its screen size is 320 x 480 Pixel. The app starts but it's not possible to enter the menu. The buttons do not appear. On my Nexus 7 it works very good. It seems as if the screen size is too small. Is this possible?
Greetz Thomas

Jun 19, 2013
Small Screen

Hi,
I use this app on a LG GT540. Its screen size is 320 x 480 Pixel. The app starts but it's not possible to enter the menu. The buttons do not appear. On my Nexus 7 it works very good. It seems as if the screen size is too small. Is this possible?
Greetz Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I use also some small screen phone for my solar camera and to access to the menu, if it is not on the screen, it is with the menu key from the smartphone in preview mode.

Laurent (www dot solarcamlab dot com)

torgo26

Jan 31, 2013
Nexus 7
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Hello Thomas,

I use also some small screen phone for my solar camera and to access to the menu, if it is not on the screen, it is with the menu key from the smartphone in preview mode.

Laurent (www dot solarcamlab dot com)

I think there is something wrong with my phone. The menu button does not work. After using it nothing happens, but after 2 seconds the app closes itself. Strange. It also close after tapping on the preview image.

torgo26

Jan 31, 2013
Nexus 7
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
I think there is something wrong with my phone. The menu button does not work. After using it nothing happens, but after 2 seconds the app closes itself. Strange. It also close after tapping on the preview image.

I found webcamsettings.xml in data/data/com.dngames.mobilewebcam/shared_prefs/
It's possible to enter the ftp-settings manual. Now I can use this very nice app.

Jun 19, 2013
2.99 and full background issue:

Hello,

is someone is using successfully the full background option (completely hidden) with the version 2.99.

I found several issues with this version 2.99 (backup-restore not working) and kind of unpredictable working with full background option.

On one handset, when select the full background, it cannot take picture and cannot connect to the camera. all pictures are black.

On another one, another model, it can be started and working when launch by hand. If launch with autostart, sometimes it didn t launch and didnt start. It is quite random and cannot find the way to make it work all time.

With the semi-background, it's work well but the backlight switch on for each time the picture is taken. I try to avoid this effect but cannot except moving to full background mode.

Any positive experience ?

Thanks,

Laurent

me-systeme

Aug 29, 2012
Full Background or semi background

Hello,

is someone is using successfully the full background option (completely hidden) with the version 2.99.
With the semi-background, it's work well but the backlight switch on for each time the picture is taken. I try to avoid this effect but cannot except moving to full background mode.
Laurent

Hello Laurent,
indeed: semi background mode seems working fine with all devices. Yes: display goes on and costs energy. approx 140mAh within 12h with full background, 180mAh within 12h with semi background mode on LG-E400.
Android 4 and full Background often is not possible.

Try out a black background image, turn down brightness.

Measurements:
https://plus.google.com/113813572574096817739/posts/bdgEvSmjmKk

Sometimes not starting: Yes; tryout SMS reboot command. Once started, it is working fine.

Best regards
Holger

BigRigTravels

Sep 3, 2013
background mode

Hello,

I found several issues with this version 2.99 (backup-restore not working) and kind of unpredictable working with full background option.

Thanks,

Laurent

I too found that 2.99 does not work in background mode. I have the same results as you on my HTC Thunderbolt. In full active mode, it works, but in either background mode, it does not.

On another note, has anybody ever found any info on how to display local TEMPerature? I use this app for driving, and it is perfect with GPS and local time, I'd certainly pay money to be able to display the local temps as well (in F)

spiderplant0

Jan 27, 2013
Cant read the menus

I cant read all of the menus (maybe cos my screen is just 320x240).

For instance, for 'Auto Root', it ends at: ... Some camera drivers

Dont really understand what this does as I think its getting truncated.

Is there documentation somewhere?

Last edited:

sibio

Aug 8, 2013

..... up

hi,

I installed the app. and works very well, but I found 2 small problems.

1) sometimes without any particular reasons or errors in the log file, an image is uploaded in a circle with the writing "TEST", as in the attachment;

2) the reboot command (with root) works correctly with battery power, but with the charger plugged in, turn off properly, but doesn't restart the phone. (solved with auto reboot)

Thank you for this wonderful app.

PS: my phone is LG P500 Optimus One

schousda

Sep 14, 2013
Pictures incomplete

Hello,

i installed your app at my Huawei Ideos X3 (U8510). It works., but i have a big problem with the pictures. They are all incomplete. Around the half way the picture is defect and shows only 1 color.
I save the pictures to SD card and also upload them to FTP. Both pictures are incomplete
How can i fix this?
Thanks.

Edit:
Here the error messages i can read at the browser. I get them for almost every pic (every 30 seconds) i take.

Error: Sat Sep 14 13:26:56 MESZ 2013: Not enough memory to process image!

Info: Sat Sep 14 13:34:28 MESZ 2013: Picture 33 taken ... uploading now!
Info: Sat Sep 14 13:34:30 MESZ 2013: ok
Info: Sat Sep 14 13:34:57 MESZ 2013: Smaller preview set from original image because modified version is lost!

Edit 2:
I got it to work by setting a custom resolution.
Before i used "Original". After changing to "Large" i got the complete pictures and also the imprint worked.
Now i set the costum resolution to 2048x1536, wich is the same resolution than in setting "Original", but pictures are complete now. Also their filesize is much smaller now (1 MB vs. 400kB).
I still get the error message about memory, but the info about smaller preview is not shown any longer.

Maybe its my old phone, maybe its a bug. Hope you can fix it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are a lot of fine webcam (with video!) apps in the Market. But I found none which can be used with just a phone without any computer or wifi connection and placed in your car, weekend home, garage, ... to upload pictures to a server in defined refresh times. So I built this app. It is not finished but good enough for a lot of things.

For easy setup with a nice user interface have a look at sensr.net - they offer camera webspace and the ftp setup with MobileWebCam is very easy. For even more possibilities like gallery-hosting, hardware motion detection and housing have a look at opensmartcam.com ... they even sell or rent complete cameras based on MobileWebCam.

Edit: The app can now also automaticilly email the pics, upload to ftp or simply store them on sdcard. Also a manual mode is new for when you are running around taking pictures to be uploaded to your website/email account on the go with one simple tap.
    Dropbox usage also possible now!
    Invisible Background mode available now to save power or hide the cam. Autofocus can now be used in and the camera can be remote-controlled by sending SMS commands to your phone.

I will use this with an old phone with broken touch input (but luckily a dpad) and a simple free sim card wich has 30MB data traffic free/month (don't know if providers in other countries offer something like that). So I can have about 20 picture refreshes a day at a location with no WIFI or 3G (and of course no cable/dsl/...). FOR FREE! In the App activity times can be set so no black night views. No WIFI needed, just power to keep the phone running (I wonder how long it will last ;).

Also I use this with my main phone to quickly show my wife the kids playing on the playground, watch the garden when I am working inside and stuff like that. For this use case an email notification can be sent containing a link for her to view on her phone or pc at work.

Should run on Android 1.5 up (what causes the camera options to be very few and landscape mode only). So you can buy a somewhat broken phone on ebay (speakers not needed, display doesn't have to work well, ...) and have one of the easiest and cheapest webcam setups possible (I think ;) ...

For your personal website webcam you need a php capable server somewhere where the picture can be refreshed. There you have to place the two files (mobilewebcam.php and index.html) attached to this post. Since version 1.3 you can also sent the pictures to an email account or simply store them on sdcard. From version 1.6 on ftp upload is also possible.

This also can be combined with my WebLiveWallpaper App easily and your webcam is then visible on your homescreen background all day.

I have uploaded my webserver files for a simple gallery and timelapse video on a google code project: please let me know if you can improve it!

Most of the sourcecode can now be found at http://code.google.com/p/mobilewebcam-android/ ... so if you need special stuff simply add it yourself and publish your changes! Please help me fix all the bugs and send me a notice if you repaired or improved something. There is so much crappy hacked code in there ...

MobileWebCam
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.dngames.mobilewebcam

How to build a housing for your phone with MobileWebCam:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/GSM-Android-phone-as-HD-outdoor-webcam/

Edit: version 3.09: Log from inside the app for logs from Android 4.3 on ... (new log permission required for older devices)

Edit: version 3.01-04: Focus mode selection, changed some internals, several crash fixes, zoom autofocus

Edit: version 2.9983: ftp upload for low bandwith/large pictures improved (set filename only after upload finished, skip upload if still busy with last), night time camera settings can be configured in camera screen by toggling to night configuration and then changing camera parameters, show last error in preview screen

Edit: version 2.996: Added some support for Samsung Galaxy Camera (1, 2, NX)

Edit: version 2.990: I restructured a lot internally - now multiple threads for work and upload - hopefully not totally broken! Also waits for gps now, shows more motion detection info, some repairs from reports (config.txt, crash on devices without wifi?, higher default cam delay, ...)

Edit: version 2.98: imprint picture scaling, all transparent colors can be set, sdcard delete old pictures, a little work on gps stuff

Edit: version 2.97: night auto stuff again, sdcard file broadcast to mediascanner, transparent colors can be set, camera deadlock for event trigger photo burst fix

Edit: version 2.96: night auto disable fix, sdcard path, imprint stamp picture downloadable from URL

Edit: version 2.95: night setup, camera open wait time for phone that otherwise produce overexposed pictures in the background modes

Edit: version 2.93: default exposure back to 50 (fix for darker pictures), front cam flip/rotate, possibility for trigger pause time, dropbox batch upload

Edit: version 2.92: fixed crash, made camera effect setting (zoom, exposure, white balance, color effect, scene mode) more interactive, fixed mirrored pictures

Edit: version 2.87: picture burst mode after trigger, moved broadcast receiver mode to event triggers, added event notification to email, added more camera settings (scene modes, color effects), timestamped httppost filename for opensmartcam

Edit: version 2.86: color stuff, alignment, ftp ending fix, background mode switch fix

Edit: version 2.85: shutdown, imprints, galaxy S camera error 0 fix, email trigger

Edit: version 2.82: ftp batch mode, small fixes

Edit: version 2.81: some new config crash fixes fixed, log, backup/restore, keep ftp connection + log frequency

Edit: version 2.76: more webinterface, config help, fullscreen preview option, fix for crash on large screen devices (sorry, I do not own one)

Edit: version 2.73: custom font and typeface added to imprint settings, crash fix for opensmartcam reg error

Edit: version 2.7: Welcome screen, remote control website (see config.zip), 2.71 fixes the original size picture upload if not enough memory

Edit: version 2.64: Nexus 7 frontcam only devices work now

Edit: version 2.63: dropbox authentication method changed to web

Edit: version 2.61: flashlight toggle 2.62 Actionbar for Android > 3.0

Edit: version 2.52: custom picture sizes (+fix from 2.51)

Edit: version 2.37: started to experiment with photo effects like instagram

Edit: version 2.36: webserver (wifi only) now also streams mjpeg, ...

Edit: version 2.3: integrated simple webserver (wifi only), added gps location to make interesting moving cameras, ...

Edit: version 2.2: two different background modes (depends on device, no advanced features working in hidden mode but less power)
    sorry for the flood of updates ... I broke it for devices without flash and then for all ... 3.03 is in store
    mobilewebcam instructions for new users (german language)

Hi,

after 3 weeks testing, wasting time and now using a new phone, after receive some help in this forum and by phone, i just wrote a simple instruction manual for new users to give something back to the community.

I write it in german language, because my english language is not the best. Maybe anyone can translate it?

I think it's usefull for some new users.

Best regards and thanks again especially to MIHA and ME-SYSTEME! :good:

Elton100
    Hey miha:

Though you'd need to tweak this to create random directories or accounts or whatever, I've got a pretty heavy duty Linux server with a fat pipe I'd be willing to let you tie your program into so people don't have to have their own server. Think it over, let me know.
    test version 2.57

Sorry for the incomplete fix. I hope this is ok now!
    Another crash in 2.56 removed. Also the "still alive" is moved to override every possible inactivity.