[APP MOD] GoldenEye 64 Watch [UPDATE]

Search This thread

keyz86

Feb 12, 2008
Southend
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone!

I made a replica of the watch from the pause menu in GoldenEye 64 for my SmartWatch using an app from the Play Store and 3 simple .png files.

Thought I would share in case I wasn't the only person who thought it was kinda cool haha!

The app you need is this... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaybit.smartwatch.customwatch&hl=en_GB

Then download the attached .rar file, unpack and copy to somewhere on your phone. I copied them all over in a folder so that once it was all set up, I could add a .nomedia file to the folder so the files wouldn't show in the Album.

ZFISQ4R.jpgVzDbqac.jpguvD7xgO.png

[Tutorial]

Im sure you can all work it out, it's quite simple but just in case you need a little guidance here it is :)

• Install the Custom SmartWatch app.
  • Once installed open its settings from your SmartWatch app list.
  • Tap on "SmartWatch 2 Settings".
  • Tick "Custom Ananlog Clock"
  • Tap "Create Custom Analog Clock"
  • Tap "Backgroundimage", search for the GoldenEye Background.png file and open it.
  • Tap "Hourhandimage", search for the GoldenEye Hour Hand.png file and open it.
  • Tap "Minutehandimage", search for the GoldenEye Minute Hand.png and open it.

That's it, however I also opened the "Battery Settings" and ticked "Activate Low Power Mode" so that the screen dims to grey scale to save power. You can have the watch display in colour all the time but the battery will last less than a day.

Screenshot_2014-01-10-11-33-31.pnggreyscale.jpg

This app will automatically open itself on the watch if left idle so it replaces the stock clock app, and you'll still receive your notifications. Just tapping the screen will bring back the colour and light, pressing the home button will exit out to use other apps. You'll have to get used to doing that instead of pressing the power button like you would with the stock clock app because this is technically a running app and pressing the power button on the watch will close it and bring back the stock clock.

Enjoy! :)

[UPDATE] After using my GoldenEye design for a few days I noticed that when you tap the screen to make it light up again to read it and show the colour of the background, it took quite a few seconds. After contacting the developer of the Custom SmartWatch app and talking to him over the last couple of days, he has been amazing and updated the app to better support this kind of design.

The app now has a few more options under "Battery Settings" and if you enable "Monochrome Mode" and the "Faster Screen On" settings, the clock will still dim to grey scale saving battery, keep the background visible but will light up a lot quicker after tapping the screen. Feels far more responsive!

Screenshot_2014-01-12-23-34-38.png

Credit to Kaybit for his awesome app!

Last edited:

nobnut

Feb 27, 2010
Nicely done :)

I wasn't aware of the app before, I'll give it a try and use your base as a template.

keyz86

Feb 12, 2008
Southend
www.facebook.com
Nicely done :)

I wasn't aware of the app before, I'll give it a try and use your base as a template.

Thanks, glad you like it :).

Yeah it's a pretty cool app, I had it with my SmartWatch 1 but it was never as customisable as this. I noticed that it had been given an update and tried out the new options and ended up with this. To be honest if you have even just a little Photoshop knowledge the possibilities are endless!

SeanyC

Jan 3, 2008
Dartford
Going to take a look at this later. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing both the app and your own design.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

toyface

Aug 7, 2010
Derbyshire
This is pretty cool man! Nice to see this sort of thing going on over here - we can't let those Pebblers have all the fun now can we?! It's just a shame that notifications don't appear as normal using a custom watch face but obviously, the finger is aimed at Sony for that.

Well done bud, this is definitely something I will be showing my friends ha ha

keyz86

Feb 12, 2008
Southend
www.facebook.com
Going to take a look at this later. Looks really good. Thanks for sharing both the app and your own design.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

This is pretty cool man! Nice to see this sort of thing going on over here - we can't let those Pebblers have all the fun now can we?! It's just a shame that notifications don't appear as normal using a custom watch face but obviously, the finger is aimed at Sony for that.

Well done bud, this is definitely something I will be showing my friends ha ha

Thank you! Glad to see this post wasn't the waste of time I thought it might be haha, really wasn't sure if anyone would be interested!

Yeah shame about the notifications being different but it doesn't bother me really, they still show up and tapping on them brings them up in full :)

tech5

Aug 10, 2009
Ohio
Man,that's pretty kewl ......I've got some ideas for some nice faces
Will post them here when I get them together

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone!

I made a replica of the watch from the pause menu in GoldenEye 64 for my SmartWatch using an app from the Play Store and 3 simple .png files.

Thought I would share in case I wasn't the only person who thought it was kinda cool haha!

The app you need is this... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaybit.smartwatch.customwatch&hl=en_GB

Then download the attached .rar file, unpack and copy to somewhere on your phone. I copied them all over in a folder so that once it was all set up, I could add a .nomedia file to the folder so the files wouldn't show in the Album.

ZFISQ4R.jpgVzDbqac.jpguvD7xgO.png

[Tutorial]

Im sure you can all work it out, it's quite simple but just in case you need a little guidance here it is :)

• Install the Custom SmartWatch app.
    • Once installed open its settings from your SmartWatch app list.
    • Tap on "SmartWatch 2 Settings".
    • Tick "Custom Ananlog Clock"
    • Tap "Create Custom Analog Clock"
    • Tap "Backgroundimage", search for the GoldenEye Background.png file and open it.
    • Tap "Hourhandimage", search for the GoldenEye Hour Hand.png file and open it.
    • Tap "Minutehandimage", search for the GoldenEye Minute Hand.png and open it.

That's it, however I also opened the "Battery Settings" and ticked "Activate Low Power Mode" so that the screen dims to grey scale to save power. You can have the watch display in colour all the time but the battery will last less than a day.

Screenshot_2014-01-10-11-33-31.pnggreyscale.jpg

This app will automatically open itself on the watch if left idle so it replaces the stock clock app, and you'll still receive your notifications. Just tapping the screen will bring back the colour and light, pressing the home button will exit out to use other apps. You'll have to get used to doing that instead of pressing the power button like you would with the stock clock app because this is technically a running app and pressing the power button on the watch will close it and bring back the stock clock.

Enjoy! :)

[UPDATE] After using my GoldenEye design for a few days I noticed that when you tap the screen to make it light up again to read it and show the colour of the background, it took quite a few seconds. After contacting the developer of the Custom SmartWatch app and talking to him over the last couple of days, he has been amazing and updated the app to better support this kind of design.

The app now has a few more options under "Battery Settings" and if you enable "Monochrome Mode" and the "Faster Screen On" settings, the clock will still dim to grey scale saving battery, keep the background visible but will light up a lot quicker after tapping the screen. Feels far more responsive!

Screenshot_2014-01-12-23-34-38.png

Credit to Kaybit for his awesome app!
    Great work OP, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks :) glad you like it, I might come up with some more ideas!

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    If you need an idea... How about a Star Trek LCARS style watch face!

lcars3.gif
    I love how you called this your design lol

http://goo.gl/LmJha4

With all due respect and without trying to sound like a ****, I love how you call what you have posted a 'design'.

That is simply the background image with the default digital clock on top.

What I did was open Photoshop and DESIGN a close resemblance to the original analogue clock hands, spend time making them work properly and fit in the right place, then contacting the developer of the app used to ask him if he could add in some extra settings to make it work better with the design. I then packed it all into a rar file and posted it here with a tutorial.

But thank you for the one photo you posted a few months ago to your private Google+ account. You clearly had this idea first. :rolleyes:
    With all due respect and without trying to sound like a ****, I love how you call what you have posted a 'design'.

That is simply the background image with the default digital clock on top.

What I did was open Photoshop and DESIGN a close resemblance to the original analogue clock hands, spend time making them work properly and fit in the right place, then contacting the developer of the app used to ask him if he could add in some extra settings to make it work better with the design. I then packed it all into a rar file and posted it here with a tutorial.

But thank you for the one photo you posted a few months ago to your private Google+ account. You clearly had this idea first. :rolleyes:

Kudos to you for this awesomeness. I love what you've done. Screw the haters. I look forward to anything else you come up with.

Keep at it! And thanks.