[App Mod HDPI/MDPI] Demotivators Protips Widget Mod [04.08.2011]

Search This thread

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
Credits
CyanogenMod Team - Source for Protips
Despair, Inc. - All of the Demotivators in this mod.
Insomnia - Making me bored enough to do this.

Requirements
Possibly Root - I assume you have to be rooted since this is replacing a system app.
HDPI/MDPI Compatible
Android 1.5+ - I assume this because minSDKversion is set to 3 by default in AndroidManifest.xml.
Only supports English (res/values/arrays.xml).

About
Basically, I couldn't sleep and was bored and was thinking about how unused/useless the Protips widget is and wanted to make it a little bit more usable. I like to laugh; I like sarcasm and bad humor; I like Demotivators, so all this just sort of came together. I take no credit at all for these; I just put them into this mod. I included all of the Demotivators that I could; there were 7/8 that would not fit because of the length of them; they are pretty easy to find if you go to the site and look through them. Also, there are no pictures included with this because it would have decreased the amount of text I could include. If you have never seen/read any of the Demotivators, then I suggest you go to the site and at least look through all of them because some of them don't make a ton of sense without the picture, but I included those anyways because they make me laugh, and I know what the picture looks like regardless.

Screenshot
The app uses the stock images, this is just using my theme engine theme. Mainly just to give an idea of text.
Demotivators_43-131.png

Installation
ADB Install
Code:
adb install -r Demotivators_HDPI-signed.apk
ADB Push
Code:
adb remount
adb push Demotivators_HDPI-signed.apk /system/app/Protips.apk
Install like a normal APK file (untested)
I changed the versionCode and versionName, so this should in theory be able to be installed from the sdcard like any other app, but is untested.
Code:
Place APK on sdcard, and install with file browser of choice.
ZIP File
Code:
Place file on sdcard and flash in recovery.

Usage
Longpress on homescreen, select widgets, select Demotivators, press widget to cycle, enjoy.

Download
HDPI APK File - http://bit.ly/gkuscw

HDPI ZIP File - http://bit.ly/igdKqO
Flash in recovery.

MDPI APK File - http://bit.ly/hZRNdl

MDPI ZIP File - http://bit.ly/i5YMdj
Flash in recovery.

Ending Notes
I hope you enjoy this and get some laughter out of it. I know I do, and it's much needed sometimes.

Last edited:

VegasEvo4G

Feb 3, 2011
Las Vegas
This is classic! Great work man! Thanks for thinking of this... (ah, the productivity of insomnia) Hmm, could be an original demotivator. "Insomnia... (Won't think of anything funny to put in here until I'm laying in bed tonight)"

Jerommeke

Mar 28, 2008
Strange thing, app installs fine but when I add the widget to my homescreen it shows the Android-hints widget.

Installed it through ES-file explorer, IO-file explorer and Super Manager. I'm not able to install it the other way.

Anyone else having this issue?

Azur0n

Apr 8, 2011
mmmh made sth. wrong... only get the normal tipps but no demotivations... installed the app via the posted direct-download link

mwaters33

May 13, 2010
Fairhope
install failed

I tried to install using RootExplorer but was denied. Failed to install. Am going to continue trying and will edit post after I succeed.

EDIT: I finally got a free minute to try again and have successfully installed using terminal emulator and jrummy's Roottools market app. I had to use Roottools to mount system bc I can never remember the correct way to type it in terminal emulator. Here's my method :

1. Mount system with Roottools
2. Open Terminal Emulator and type the following:
PHP:
su
cp /mnt/sdcard/download/Demotivators_HDPI-signed.apk /system/app/protips.apk
reboot

The widget will be in the list after booting back up.
NOTE: Your file may be in a different location and you will need to modify the command accordingly.

Last edited:

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
Strange thing, app installs fine but when I add the widget to my homescreen it shows the Android-hints widget.

Installed it through ES-file explorer, IO-file explorer and Super Manager. I'm not able to install it the other way.

Anyone else having this issue?
mmmh made sth. wrong... only get the normal tipps but no demotivations... installed the app via the posted direct-download link

After you install, does it have a widget named Demotivators in the widget selection menu or is it still home screen tips?

I tried to install using RootExplorer but was denied. Failed to install. Am going to continue trying and will edit post after I succeed.
Its not allowing me to install. Tells me to 'upgrade'. Its confusing it with protips. Rooted Epic, stock using Astro.

I put a .zip file to flash in recovery in the OP that you can try instead trying to install like a normal apk. I'm not sure of what the issue is.

This is just a modified version of Protips which is why it's trying to make you "upgrade" it.

zsld0423

Sep 16, 2010
funny app

great way to replace that horrible Protips app lol. I just used Root Explorer, and went to the System/Apps folder. Just rename Protips.apk to Protips.bak (so you still have it) then just move the Demotivational app to System/Apps and rename it to Protips.apk. Then I just rebooted my phone, went to my widgets, and added it easily

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
Close to 400 downloads, never would have thought this would've been such a hit.

No problem, happy to help.

-----
Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Gingerbread-on-Hero action here!

MDPI in the OP as apk and zip, let me know how it works out for you.

Jerommeke

Mar 28, 2008
After you install, does it have a widget named Demotivators in the widget selection menu or is it still home screen tips?
Demotivators is in the widget list, so the installation went fine. But when you put the widget on your homescreen, the hints-widget shows up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Credits
    CyanogenMod Team - Source for Protips
    Despair, Inc. - All of the Demotivators in this mod.
    Insomnia - Making me bored enough to do this.

Requirements
    Possibly Root - I assume you have to be rooted since this is replacing a system app.
    HDPI/MDPI Compatible
    Android 1.5+ - I assume this because minSDKversion is set to 3 by default in AndroidManifest.xml.
    Only supports English (res/values/arrays.xml).

About
    Basically, I couldn't sleep and was bored and was thinking about how unused/useless the Protips widget is and wanted to make it a little bit more usable. I like to laugh; I like sarcasm and bad humor; I like Demotivators, so all this just sort of came together. I take no credit at all for these; I just put them into this mod. I included all of the Demotivators that I could; there were 7/8 that would not fit because of the length of them; they are pretty easy to find if you go to the site and look through them. Also, there are no pictures included with this because it would have decreased the amount of text I could include. If you have never seen/read any of the Demotivators, then I suggest you go to the site and at least look through all of them because some of them don't make a ton of sense without the picture, but I included those anyways because they make me laugh, and I know what the picture looks like regardless.

Screenshot
    The app uses the stock images, this is just using my theme engine theme. Mainly just to give an idea of text.
    Demotivators_43-131.png

Installation
    ADB Install
    Code:
    adb install -r Demotivators_HDPI-signed.apk
    ADB Push
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push Demotivators_HDPI-signed.apk /system/app/Protips.apk
    Install like a normal APK file (untested)
    I changed the versionCode and versionName, so this should in theory be able to be installed from the sdcard like any other app, but is untested.
    Code:
    Place APK on sdcard, and install with file browser of choice.
    ZIP File
    Code:
    Place file on sdcard and flash in recovery.

Usage
    Longpress on homescreen, select widgets, select Demotivators, press widget to cycle, enjoy.

Download
    HDPI APK File - http://bit.ly/gkuscw

HDPI ZIP File - http://bit.ly/igdKqO
    Flash in recovery.

MDPI APK File - http://bit.ly/hZRNdl

MDPI ZIP File - http://bit.ly/i5YMdj
    Flash in recovery.

Ending Notes
    I hope you enjoy this and get some laughter out of it. I know I do, and it's much needed sometimes.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone